Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002/3 College Hoops Season

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Arizona dismantled number 6 Kansas last weekend. They outscored them 52-22 in the second half and showed how dangerous they can be. Stoudamire has an amazing first step with an equally impressive crossover. Walton is just a good fundamental player and Frye is slowly becoming a factor. Jason Gardener is as good as any guard in the country and the rest of the supporting cast are just damn good athletes. They will be dangerous team come tourney time, but then again, they are always supposed to be.

Alabama have dropped from being the number one team to a team that is now an honorable mention thanks to 4 losses in their last five games. Kentucky is making a statement, as it Florida. Pitt is holding steady at number 2 and Duke has rebounded from their back to back losses. It will be a great finish to the season.

Creighton, who were carrying a 12 game win streak, finally lost. Indiana lost tonight to Michigan STate and after being lumped by Purdue. TExas lost to Kansas last night by 3 in a battle of number 4 and number 6 in the AP polls..... Oklahoma State is probably the hottest team right now, having won 14 straight. In this run, they have beaten previous number one Oklahoma, Texas Tech in Lubbock, and a decent Missouri squad. They are now ranked 9th....

Louisville is moving up the rankings quickly too. If there is a three pointer they don't like taking, the media is still looking for it. Pitino has them playing a run and gun game with tenacious defense, like he did with Kentucky. Pitino has to be one of the best college coaches in the country.......

Illinois continues to be inconsistent losing back to back games against Iowa and Indiana, then following these losses with wins against Purdue and Penn State....They are hovering around the #15 spot....

Number 10 Maryland has won three in a row including a solid thumping of then number one Duke. Enough for now.......

Captain

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nice recap

I watched that Arizona-Kansas game. Phog Allen Fieldhouse was silenced in that second half. Amazing. Salim Stoudamire was $$$ from behind the arc - I think he hit six threes - and they got a nice performance from Jason Gardner as well. Right now, it's Arizona and then everybody else in college hoops. They've firmly established themselves as the team to beat.

Creighton have a great player in Kyle Korver, but they remind me too much of the Wally Sczcerbiak-led Miami of Ohio team a few years back. Those one-star teams usually flop come tourney time, when a defense focusses on stopping the big gun. Still, Korver is arguably the national player of the year at this point in time.

'Bama have problems. Big time. They need a pretty good performance now, just to make the big dance. Where's Erwin Dudley?

I really respect the job Gary Williams has done w/Maryland. Loses three NBA talents in Dixon, Baxter and Wilcox, yet still has the team as arguably the best in the ACC. Drew Nicholas has emerged as a capable replacement for Juanny Dix, while Steve Blake is playing with the maturity of a PG who led his team to a National title a year ago. War Terps.

Louisville. The traditional inside-outside combo with Reece Gaines and Marvin Stone. Gotta love the job Pitino has done in Cardinal Country - shows how he is an excellent college mind, but not the type of coach that is cut out for the NBA. And aside - can you think of any college coaches who have done well in the NBA? Calipari? Bust. Carlesimo? Bust. Tarkanian? Bust. Hamilton? Huge bust. Lon Kruger? Bust, but I don't think the Atlanta situation was totally his fault. Tim Floyd? The horri-Bulls still stink, but he was a complete bust anyways.

Bottom line - college coaches cannot morph their style into effective NBA careers. I will boldly say that it cannot be done.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree, Sensei. In college, these coaches excel not only because of their ability to draw up the X's and O's. They obviously have a connection with the kids they coach and the players generally have a ton of respect for these coaches. Some players need coaches like Bobby Knight and other players would never get better with a coach like Knight. The college coach has to deal with emotions more than egos. Although, that could be argued I am sure. College coaches tend to treat their team more like families. The NBA coaches have more a business-like approach, which is understandable when you're talking about coaches who make on average over $2 million. The bottom line is a lot of successful coaches in the NBA might not have the success in college and vice versa.

BTW, Sensei, when are we going to coach a high school team together? We could get Parkhead out and start a dynasty. :rolleyes: Think about it. It could be a lot of fun, taking a group of grade 8's all the way through. Willis has already commited next year, as long as he is at SDSS. We could run the Loyola Marymount offense in the mid-80s. 7 seconds to get a shot off and full court press all game long. Paul Westhead would be proud of our fast breaking offense........

Captain

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Uh Oh...

If Willis has committed than all that can be guaranteed are up to and including four air balls per game. That and a trip to THE exclusive cabin made available to all Richmond High graduates who partook while wearing the maroon and grey.

On the other hand, with the extensive hoops knowledge that a combined Richmond High, St. Thomas More, and Vancouver College triumvirate could bring to the table, even a lame duck school like SDSS would be unbeatable.

Back on topic, Maryland looked quite good in beating a very young Duke team. It doesn't look like they are scared of playing Duke which makes them unique from just about every other NCAA team.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the zenmaster...

We could go with the Danny Ainge philosophy from his time in Phoenix and run a four-guard set for long stretches at a time. This would enable SDSS to play an uptempo brand of basketball similar to the Loyola "we don't need no stinking shotclock" Marymount teams you speak of.

Can Valley teams play run n' gun? I seem to recall the Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridges all playing a very boring, bog-it-down offense that forced every guy on the court to touch the ball at least twice before getting a shot off. And, on defense, they always played a 2-3 zone. Ugh. Full-court press all the way, with the occasional half-court trap to give the team another look.

Keep me posted on coaching spots.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you're right Sensei, all the valley teams I remember playing against were teams who trind to grind out ugly wins. When you grow them as big and slow (and stupid) as they do out there, that's the only way they can play. Bringing a little razzle dazzle to the valley would be interesting although I'm not sure that SDSS can bring the athletic ability needed to run such a high tempo offence to the table.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, I'm going on a scouting mission next week around the local elementary schools in Tsawwassen. I know there are some good athletes coming out of South Park, with one BIG post player. We might lose him to Whiterock Christian though, as his older brother attends that school now. Talk about poaching players! Bastard Christians. Anyway, the Valley is now the toughest conference by far. The main reason is the outstanding coaching and solid elementary leagues that they are setting up. They know their fundamentals. As for SDSS, we would DEFINITELY spice things up a bit next year. I am really serious about taking a group of athletes and coaching them a "BLITZKRIEG" type of defense AND offense. We may fail miserably but fcuk we will have fun doing it. Of course, we would start with the basic fundamentals and DEFENSE. After that, it is Loyola Marymount all the way.. :)

Potential coaching staff for the SDSS Grade 8 Boys team 2003/2004:

Captain "Blitzkrieg" Shamrock

One "Post-master" Dart

Sensei "Valparaiso" Hanson

Willis "AB(Air Ball) 316

Park "Let's teach them to dunk" Head

Blitzkrieg

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
AB. I love it. Yes, Defense would certainly be something that kids would be taught. First. None of that weak ass zone shite that the grade tens were playing today. From what I saw, they had no offense, no plays, no intensity. Make the little fukcs run on friday Captain for being such putzes. Surprisingly, there are athletes in Tsawwassen, it's just that when you have putzes running the show, which, sadly, SDSS does, their potential is wasted. Had those kids today had any clue what was going on, Sands wouldn't have got past half court, let alone have uncontested layup after uncontested layup.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the Princeton Offense....

Introduction

We have used an offense similar to what Princeton has used for the past five years successfully. The following ideas have been taken from many different sources. Every year the offense evolves for me as I add new concepts and ideas as well as having different players creating in it. We try to keep it simple for the kids and not do many complicated things. Before I discuss the offense let me bring up some concerns.

You have to spend an inordinate time on fundamentals. Players must be able to dribble with either hand, make lay-ups, make free throws, have at least one strong move to the hoop, and play good defense. The offense becomes more effective the better you shoot the ball. Players must be committed to developing their individual offensive skills in the off-season.

When the offense is working well players will be put in many one-on-one situations where they must have good facing-the-basket moves.

Clearly this style of play is not "stall-ball!" Watch Princeton play and you can see that they are allowing their players to create. Imagine how well Michael Jordan would have done with this offense. The point of emphasis is to allow players to use their offensive skills to get a good shot. For the high school player those opportunities are created by the effective use of the backdoor cut, the ability to make lay-ups, effective jump shooting and free throw shooting, and excellent ball-handling skills.

II. The Positions

We surround the high post with four players. These "guards" and "wings" will have to move and cut around the high post. The wings are located on the “foul-line extended” near the sideline. The guards are located at the “elbow-extended” near the ten-second line. They have to be able to handle the ball and shoot well. The more shooters you have out there the better this offense works. It helps if the post can shoot also. He needs to pass well, shoot the ten-footer, and have some offensive capability in the low post. In this offense, the post player will do most of the screening.

III) The Backdoor Cut

We practice this constantly. Why? Kids normally do not work on this move on their own. We run our backdoor cuts primarily from one of the four outside spots. In practice, we use a couple of simple drills (see animation) to teach this. We have two lines. One line has dribblers who dribble and then pass the ball to a backdoor cutter. The other line has the cutters, who come out and then cut backdoor. We move the angles of the drill. We also change the shots for the cutters. They do the same drills taking different types of lay-ups and jump shots. We force them to use the backboard. Whenever they use the backboard on their shots they must yell “glass.” This instills confidence.

Technique is very important. The cut is determined by the defense. When the offensive player comes to the perimeter, he immediately goes backdoor if the defender is overplaying him. We teach him to swing his outside arm up as if he is giving a target to the passer and v-cut off his outside leg hard to the hoop. As he turns towards the hoop he immediately brings his inside hand up as a target for the bounce pass. Please note that this hand must be low enough to catch the bounce pass.

Communication is important. Both players have to talk. The receiver must yell "backdoor" as he makes the move. The movement of his outside hand also serves as a non-verbal cue. The passer has to read this. We prefer a one-handed pass off the dribble. The problem we have found with this is that the passer cannot check his pass. However, a jump-stop followed by a two-handed pass takes too much time to get the ball to the cutter.

The passer will also yell "backdoor." He is not only using the cues from the cutter but also watching the defender. If the defender is looking at the passer he will be frozen just enough for the play to work. We want the passer to dribble at the defender when the defender is in a "ball-you-man" position. If the defender is face-guarding the cutter the passer's target will be the cutter's inside hand. It is important for the passer to see where the defender is looking - players quickly learn that they can get their bounce passes into the tightest of spots. Note that the cutter can shallow-cut instead of going backdoor when necessary.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei,

Carolina/Duke tonight.....any thoughts? Duke's hasn't been playing very well lately. They are pretty green, I think they have 6 freshmen in their 10 man rotation. Should be a good one.

Look for Duke to prevail!

Sandman

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was wondering if you were gonna mention anything...I'm watching it right now and it's 43-40 in favour of UNC. Been pretty even thus far, not much to say, will post more after I see the outcome.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
tobacco road rumble

Sensei "Tar Heel" Hanson,

Duke 83
NC 79

Just in case you lost count...............that's six in a row versus Carolina;)

Coach K and Doherty exchanging words, a streaker, and by the sounds of it a very tight game.........would have been awesome to be at Cameron tonight.

Sandman

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
....meh....

I watched this one on ESPN courtesy of my buddy's pirated satellite hookup. Lord love a stolen satellite feed.

As for the game....Duke were favoured coming into this game and in the end, they got the win they were supposed to get. This might sound like a cop-out by a Heels fan, but really, a win by NC would have been a pretty big upset, while a Dukie win was, dare I say it, expected. I give credit to the Heels for staying competitive, especially after the whipping Duke laid on them last year in every ACC league matchup. But Duke is a better basketball team this year. This year. This frosh class at Chapel Hill is going to make some noise in the coming years.

They retired Jay-Will's #22 at halftime tonight....he and Grant Hill were in attendance for the game. I don't have the official stat but Duke pulled away late and I think they scored on their last nine possessions - Cameron was going bezerk. Of course, they were basically going nuts at tipoff and had a big standing O for the halftime ceremony. Awesome atmosphere. Fun to watch.

As for the game....too much Dahntay Jones. What an athlete. He's been big all year, especially since Duhon's scoring has gone south. McCants was struggling with the bad back and he only went for two points - he's the team's leading scorer at 18.8ppg - so that obviously took its toll on the pretty thin rotation Doherty runs.

That Noel kid for the Heels popped for 19, about 16 above his season's average. It'd be nice to see him develop along with Felton, McCants and Williams....

As for the spat between Coach K and Doherty - it occurred after Jones canned a trey and backed/bumped into Doherty. Doherty made a bit of a meal of it and Coach K took exception. But they didn't get within eight feet of one another, just kinda exchanged words and that was that. But it got the crowd jacked up. Like they needed it.

I didn't see the streaker - flipped channels for too long. But they mentioned it throughout the second frame.

I was flipping back between the Duke-UNC game and the Warriors-Spurs game, and while I was watching Mike Dunleavy unsucessfully try to guard Stephen Jackson, I got to wonder if little Mikey didn't wish he was back at Duke this season. If the Devs had him in the starting five they'd be my odds-on favourite to take on Arizona in the national final.

Good night for B-Ball, tough night for the Heels.
-Sensei.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ouch

Downright embarassing, this.

AP (CNNSI.com) - Beating North Carolina is no longer a big deal for Maryland.

The defending NCAA champion Terrapins are now among the nation's elite, while the once-mighty Tar Heels are in the midst of a major rebuilding effort.

Yet, given the events leading up to Saturday's Atlantic Coast Conference game, it was almost impossible to envision a blowout of record-breaking proportions.

Steve Blake scored 18 points and Drew Nicholas had 17 as No. 13 Maryland concluded a demanding week by crushing North Carolina 96-56, matching the most lopsided ACC victory in school history.

Ryan Randle scored 16 points for the Terrapins, who have won four straight against North Carolina for the first time since 1930-32. It was Maryland's largest margin of victory in the 79-year series, eclipsing the 33-point blowout the Terrapins enjoyed at home last season.

The most surprising aspect of the rout was that it was Maryland's third game in six days. The Terrapins (17-7, 9-4) beat No. 10 Wake Forest at home Monday in a game delayed by snow, then lost on the road against No. 8 Duke on Wednesday before rebounding to beat the Tar Heels (14-12, 4-8) for the fifth time in seven tries.

"I thought it would be a tough game for us, just given the situation," Maryland coach Gary Williams said. "We've been traveling a little bit, too."

North Carolina's arrival at the Comcast Center was delayed by a torrential rain, but coach Matt Doherty said that had nothing to do with the resounding defeat, which matched the third-worst in UNC history.

"They had much more to deal with this week than we did," Doherty said.

Maryland had previously recorded two 40-point wins in ACC play, the last one a 99-59 rout of South Carolina in 1958. The victory moved the Terrapins within percentage points of first-place Wake Forest in the ACC.

Maryland let a 13-point halftime lead dwindle to 47-40 before Blake scored seven points in a 13-2 run that gave the Terrapins some breathing room.

After the Tar Heels closed to 62-47, freshman John Gilchrist hit a runner in the lane, Jamar Smith slammed home an alley-oop pass from Calvin McCall, and Andre Collins and Randle made layups to start a 14-0 spurt that the Terrapins up by 29.

"We didn't do anything different. We just came out and played basketball," Nicholas said. "I guess they weren't ready to play."

Actually, the youthful Tar Heels just aren't good enough to beat an experienced team coming off its first national championship.

"When you miss a shot or turn the ball over, they make you pay," Doherty said. "That's a good team, an experienced team. This is a new experience for our young guys. We'll be that much better for it down the road."

Melvin Scott scored 12 points and Rashad McCants had 11 for North Carolina, 1-6 on the road in the conference this season.

"My biggest concern is that we let this affect our game Tuesday against North Carolina State," Doherty said.

It was the 498th career victory for Williams, who broke a tie with Lefty Driesell for most ACC wins by a Maryland coach (123). He will vie for No. 499 on Tuesday against Clemson.

"Hopefully we can get ready again for Tuesday, then we finally can get a little bit of rest before we have to play again," Williams said.

The Terrapins shot 65 percent in the first half, going 7-for-8 from 3-point range, to take a 45-32 halftime lead.

It was 38-30 before Blake hit a short jumper, then drilled a 3-pointer before Nicholas followed a North Carolina turnover with a layup to put the Terrapins up by 15.

North Carolina went 12-for-32 (38 percent) from the field before halftime, including 5-of-16 on its 3-point attempts.

Maryland hit its first three shots, taking the lead for good when Nicholas hit a 3-pointer to make it 8-5.

Nicholas, who made only three field goals against Duke, matched that total when he hit a 3-pointer less than five minutes in.

"We just went out there to have fun and that's what we did." Blake said. "We enjoyed it."

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0