Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, hopefully they have turned the corner. They still have 9 and 10 men behind the ball at times but the fact that they are passing the ball out instead of lumping it up the park is good. Hopefully they will to continue to play that style and someone can start scoring or at least do good things in the final 3rd. Atiba Hutchinson looked solid out of position as a central defender instead of midfielder. Unfortunately he has been unlucky and called for the PK against Costa Rica and the own goal against the US.

I'd like to see Hume and DeRosario both playing for the whole game at the same time as the 2 of them are the most potent offensive threats we have on our roster. It'd be nice to havePeters out there for a whole game as he seems to like to run at guys and he's so quick down the wing he should be able to get some nice balls across goal.

I'd like them to fire whoever has taken a corner kick so far. Too many of them have been picked off by the defender as they are too low and easy to deal with.

Hopefully they can get a score a couple against Cuba and use that as a springboard for the future.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did you manage to see the lead-up coverage on Sportsnet for the game?

Shame on Craig Mac for saying Landon Donovan is one of the top strikers in the world :rolleyes:

What was up with the shitty attendence? Isn't Seattle trying to get an MLS franchise? 15,000 on a day the Mariners are not playing down the road is pretty underwhelming...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This game was on eye-opener for me... I don't think there was a single hump up the park. Not one. I think we've turned the corner...

Part of the reason for that was the fact that the U.S. had the ball 80% of the time..........Once again, it was a men against boys scenario. Canada had a 10 minute spell where they should have scored 1 goal...The US should have scored 6 easily......They missed a lot of chances, so I kind of disagree with Blazearmy about the team defending. They have NO concept of marking back post and ball watch far too much. Anyway, thank goodness we have teams like Brazil to watch.

Hail Hail

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Did you manage to see the lead-up coverage on Sportsnet for the game?

Shame on Craig Mac for saying Landon Donovan is one of the top strikers in the world :rolleyes:

What was up with the shitty attendence? Isn't Seattle trying to get an MLS franchise? 15,000 on a day the Mariners are not playing down the road is pretty underwhelming...

agreed I watched that Regs, Landon Donovon give me a break. Maybe one of the top strikers in north america. I really didn't think canada looked to bad compared to past efforts. we just really don't have a game breaking player who can score that big goal. Obviously there is a lot more missing then that but it would get canada a few wins. i like peters coming off the bench It's a change of pace teams don't expect and I am sure most teams don't know anything about him. If he was out their all game I think he would get eaten up after the first half.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Part of the reason for that was the fact that the U.S. had the ball 80% of the time..........
Don't know what game you were watching but that was definitely not the case yesterday, especially in the first half. Second half, well, maybe but there were enough spurts to be encouraging.

In reality, the second half shouldn't have happened the way it did as Donovan should have been sent off near the end of the first.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Don't know what game you were watching but that was definitely not the case yesterday, especially in the first half. Second half, well, maybe but there were enough spurts to be encouraging.

In reality, the second half shouldn't have happened the way it did as Donovan should have been sent off near the end of the first.

Obviously I can't analyze games like yourself but for the record I only saw the last 5 minutes of the first half and the entire second half.

Watchingadifferentgame CSC

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Only saw the 2nd half
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Lack luster to say the least .... per other post's .. yes they aren't Humping the ball but they lack alot of "everything" in all offensive departments

Predicted a 4-0 USA win ....
Why the US is Ranked as High as they are and not taking apart
lower end teams like Canada goes to show they have holes
in their system
When the US plays higher clubs they tend to look like they can compete ...
T

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay.

I was in Seattle for this game. Seahawk was probably hovering around 25-30% of capacity and of that, there was only one pocket of Canadian supporters sitting at the south end (opposite of the Hawk's nest). The atmosphere was shite.

The Yanks have compiled this sort of rouge "Sams Army" supporters group which looks like a collection of guys who couldn't hack it tailgating for football but not for a lack of enthusiasm. They had one half-decent chant, the "51st state" comment when they were whipping us in the second half. Outside of that, it's a pretty sad state of affairs, a bunch of lunatics trying to emulate European-style support with double the girth and about 1/8th of the savvy.

As for Canada. You couldn't classify that performance as "good" but it wasn't especially bad either, which pretty much sums up the next 15 years of international competition for that lot.

The States spent most of the first half playing wide and zipping in crosses, but the Canuck back four and Sutton did pretty well at neutralizing that. You could tell Donovan had bags of skill when he actually got the ball at his feet, but he was mostly a spectator as they flat-out refused to play through him.

What bugs me the most is that the Canadian players were either not skilled enough or simply too afraid to take guys on one-on-one. Simpson did it quite well a few times, but he's a left back - not exactly the position where offensive forays are meant to originate from.

Serioux has really quick feet and enough skill to take people on, but he's deficient in many key aspects of the game - passing, shooting, composure - to be a consistent threat.

The big center back for the US who resembles Rio Ferdinand was rock solid. Talk about your physical presences. Hutchinson was actually solid despite the atrocious own-goal.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In games that may affect Canada's fate, Trinidad and Tobago plays guest entry Colombia on Tuesday in Miami while Mexico take on Jamaica on Wednesday in Houston.

Mexico looks safe in Group C. Even if it loses and Canada wins, leaving both with three points, the Mexicans hold a plus-six edge over Canada in goal difference. Mexico would have to leak goals in the final group game and Canada would need to go on a scoring tear, which seems highly unlikely.

As for Group A, a Trinidad win would send Canada home no matter what happens against Cuba - unless the one-in-a-million Mexico scenario happens.

Perhaps the best Canada can hope for is Colombia defeats Trinidad 1-0 while Yallop's side downs Cuba by 2-0 or better. A 2-0 scenario would lead to a coin flip since Canada and Colombia would be tied on points, goal differential and goals scored.
Another coin-flip would be magic :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting development... Columbia is up 1-0 after 86 minutes!

For those looking to see the Canada game, it's on live on Sportsnet WEST 6:00PM... or 11:00PM on regular Sportsnet Pacific.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Columbia just scored... 2-0... Canada needs to win by 3 as of now it appears.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I suppose you couldn't ask for a more profound example of Canada's lack of finish than that first half. You'd like to think if they get one, they get 5 but...

Yallop should sub out Billy Ocean and Bernier... easily the 2 most shocking out there. Put McKenna up front and give Hume a run if his thigh can stand it. It's the only hope...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3 things:

1. Occean is complete and utter pants.
2. Bernier is as well. Nice back tracking on the Cuban goal :rolleyes:
3. Someone - anyone - tell Dobson to shut his fcuking gob once in awhile! Let the viewer take in the game without the constant drivel that only emphasizes how little he knows :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0