Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Whitecaps Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huh? Polska you think Rennie will be gassed?! I think you're high. If anything this has been a failed experiment in that Robson and Miller are just not athletic enough for this league. Chiumiento was so skillful that his lack of work ethic at times wasn't as noticeable. Hassli is no different in his whining than Robson is. Essentially the caps got a good deal from TFC for Hassli and some cash for Dede, and we got poor replacements.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
High on reality JBN. Rennie had his hand in bringing Miller and Robson over from the "old Country" to replace Hassli and Chiumiento.

He replaced lack of heart with no heart... blowing up any chemistry and momentum the team had.

His game planning and strategy have also failed.

Biggest game of the year and he didn't have his squad prepared. They laid an Egg against a team that had yet to win on the road this year.

Not saying the players don't absorb some of the blame for last night but at the end of the day you have to treat these games with a war like mentallity and General Rennie is the one in charge of the troops!

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find a difference between Hassli and Robson, is that Hassli actually scored goals and when he complained he didn't have his man already in our 18 while he was standing at center doing the ymca. Camilo is fukcing garbage, i can't stand this diving non passing schmuck. It's easy to see that Miller is smart and has skill but he doesn't fit in with our beautiful kick and run game. Our system needs to change for Miller to fit in, which I highly doubt will happen. Big changes need to happen in the off season, to bring this team back from our poor form in the second half of the season.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hassli is no different in his whining than Robson is

Are you fcuking high?

:rolleyes:

I found yesterday so interesting, Rennie puts out there a 2 striker formation - isn't that the reasoning for shipping out Hassli, that he couldn't play the lone striker position?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The main complaints on Hassli was (other than inconsistency in scoring) was
1. Lazy workrate
2. Constant whinging at officials.

Same apply to Robson, except we got allocation money a draft pick and salary cap space from TFC for him

We sold Chiumiento off when he wanted away because he wasn't going to get a new/improved contract.

The two move on and they sign guys who are past their best before date, but in most leagues in the world would still contribute because they would have players of better technical ability around them. The MLS, by and large, is an athletics first league. The kids coming from NCAA and through the academy's are good athletes with decent football ability whereas kids from abroad have the technical ability first.

Of course Rennie had a hand in signing the two players, and I disagree with him not starting Richards and Mattocks last night, but word is Mattocks wasn't 100% and Richards played a lot for Jamaica prior to this game, whereas Miller played less but had longer travel.

I'm not blindly defending Rennie, however I think to say he's getting a pink slip after navigating the Caps, however they ultimately qualified is irrelevant, into the playoffs. They made the tourney, many others didn't.

And to cap this all off, they always said the goal this year was to turn the squad over, build it into a long term contender, and perhaps make the playofffs. it wasn't MLSCup or bust. They've overachieved their preseason goal and are trending in the right direction based on where we are today vs last year.

I'd say there's a better chance Kenny "Foot like an Anvil" Miller and Barry "He touched me ref!!!" Robson will be sent packing before Rennie is.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's easy to see that Miller is smart and has skill but he doesn't fit in with our beautiful kick and run game.

I can't deny that he is trying hard and that he obviously cares but his ball control is awful (pay attention how the ball is bouncing off of him). So, MLS really should be for him but obviously he is not that young anymore.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dispite the players best efforts we are in the playoffs.

No way Rennie is gone at the end of the year unless we want to become TFC and the revolving door of coaches. The reason we are disappointed right now is because we have fallen from the position he put us in the first place and the changes he made hasn't work out the way anybody had hoped. It is going to be an interesting off season with lots of player movements though.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
STD it was Rennis input to bring Miller and Robson in it was his input allso to trade the two Frenchmen. In my opiniom Franchmen are better players than Robson and Miller.
He will stay if he wins a game in playoffs. If not I am not so sure he will be around. Both older Scotts might be moved to make room for younger better players.
Salgato did more in last ten minutes tham Miller in the hole game. I see Salgato getting a bigger role with Mattocks. We might allso see new right mid due to Richards moveing to England. That spot and left mid have been the main reason we do not win more game.
We need tougher guys playing in those two spots. I see Salgato as a lone foprward as a go to guy.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
No doubt that Rennie's record as a manager is far from perfect as he is young for a manager and is still learning. It is his first year in the MLS and the league has some unique challenges that few if any leagues have. Unless we want a revolving door of managers like TFC we have to give him atleast next year and possibly the following year so he can build a team with the system he wants to play. I am not even a fan of the style he likes to play but a new manager for next year would mean starting over again setting us further behind. He was using Salgado a lot before he got hurt but he was using him wide on the left and I think the position at his young age suited him better, plus he is one of the few players that could knock a decent crosss in. For me they need to look at the core of young players Salgado, Mattocks and Koffie and build the team around them by trimming the wasted players and salaries and get better players and depth in the line up. Hopefully the young players will be here for atleast a couple of more years so we can see them mature.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
No doubt that Rennie's record as a manager is far from perfect as he is young for a manager and is still learning. It is his first year in the MLS and the league has some unique challenges that few if any leagues have. Unless we want a revolving door of managers like TFC we have to give him atleast next year and possibly the following year so he can build a team with the system he wants to play. I am not even a fan of the style he likes to play but a new manager for next year would mean starting over again setting us further behind. He was using Salgado a lot before he got hurt but he was using him wide on the left and I think the position at his young age suited him better, plus he is one of the few players that could knock a decent crosss in. For me they need to look at the core of young players Salgado, Mattocks and Koffie and build the team around them by trimming the wasted players and salaries and get better players and depth in the line up. Hopefully the young players will be here for atleast a couple of more years so we can see them mature.

You are right that it does not make a lot of sense to change the coach every year but Whitecaps are no better than TFC when it comes to changing the coaches on a "regular basis".
During the first season Whitecaps had Thordarson and Soehn. Rennie inherited most players from that inaugural season and actually started the 2nd season very well. Then he decided to get rid of Hassli and Chiumiento and bring Robson and Miller (and we all know the record since these two arrived).

I believe that Rennie's future in Vancouver now entirely depends on a play-off game against LA. If Whitecaps show nothing (as they did for the most of the season since Robson and Miller arrived) I cannot see how any of them could stay in Vancouver for another year.

For some strange reason I believe Whitecaps could win in LA. Not really sure why but I think they have a chance.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What do you guys think the objectives were that the Whitecaps gave Rennie before the season?

1. Make MLS Playoffs
2. Win the Nutrilite Canadian Championships.

He successfully completed the more important of the 2, and there's no way they can him. People are only upset because he had the team overachieving at the start of the season and everyone's expectations grew. The reality is they were never that good and are under-performing now, but not by as much as you'd think listening to the calls for his head.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
They deserved to beat LA when we played here, I know because I watched it live in an intimate atmostphere:) Hopefully LA are looking past us and the caps can get themselves up for a game and you never know.

The moves he made were bold and they haven't worked out the way anybody hoped but I think you have to hope he learned from it and will be better for it next year. They set a goal at the begining of the year to make the playoffs and he achieved it so it would not be fair to fire him because he himself set the bar higher by mid season. They need some stability going forward and can't keep making changes. If he has a poor season next year then you can him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0