Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 - the Asterisk Season

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
of course they arent... Canadians like their hockey played the honourable way...

I dont make the videos because frankly the opinion of Canuck fan is completely ignorant and irrelevant anyway. Besides, youtube has limits on how long videos can be...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
disagree, at least they try to get better, they just suck at it.

Gillis and McPhee after today anyways, for me, have to be the worst GM's in the league.

how do you trade Forsberg for Erat and a spare part!?!?!?!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Commodore couldn't be more right. "Nucks Fan" is stupid, emotional, and downright ignorant in my opinion. This differs greatly from Hockey Fans who happen to cheer for the Canucks.

MOST Nucks fans only watch Canucks games, and outside of the superstars and fierce rivals likely couldn't name more than 3 or 4 players on any other given team, likely never grew up with the game around them or playing the game outside of PE Class in the Gym or in the Cul-De-Sac.

Educated fans (regardless of their stripes) know the Canucks were close, and could have beat the B's, but it wasn't to be and they ran out of gas, goals and luck. The same educated fans also know that the Nucks window has essentially closed and the Nucks are on a collision course to become the same sort of clusterfcuk that the Flames are right now with nothing on the farm, stripped down draft pick selections for the future, an aging core and almost ZERO cap space with half a team to sign for next year.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed mostly JBN, although I would argue the series wasnt as close as it seemed... in any event, the difference is that the Canucks still have some serious assets they could parlay into a quick and effective rebuild IF they decided to go that route now...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
rich2, no- I've disagreed with a lot of his moves.

In Hindsight and I'm sure I would have said then:
1. The Ballard deal was a bad deal, didn't like giving up Grabner and the first rounder (It ended up being Quinton Howden btw)
2. He's fcuked the dog on the goalie situation
3. The Drafting by Gillis and Gilman has been nothing short of apalling with sum total of 165 gp by his 30 draft picks, 128 of which are by Hodgson who he and AV Chased out of town
4. Didn't like Coho being traded, thought Kesler should have moved to wing or been traded instead
5. This latest Higgins contract isn't ideal on term, and while 2.5 is expensive, he'd have gotten a lot more on open market
6. I liked the Booth deal at the time, but now realize he was getting top minutes on a bad team and is a total fraud on a good team. He's your stereotypical American player which is all speed and very little hockey sense. Poor scouting and a bad deal.
7. AV should have been gassed after last season's early exit, but Duncan Keith's elbow to Daniel's head gave Gillis an excuse to not can him.

list goes on, but I feel like his con's outweight his pro's and ultimately if the Acquilini Family is still able to use the Nucks as a Mint, Gillis is sadly likely safe. As long as home playoff dates happen he's likley not at risk.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed mostly JBN, although I would argue the series wasnt as close as it seemed... in any event, the difference is that the Canucks still have some serious assets they could parlay into a quick and effective rebuild IF they decided to go that route now...

You do remember the canucks won three games and had two chances to get win #4?

Put Hamuis back in that series for all seven games and take Chara out after the Bruins were down 2-0 in the series and who is winning the cup.

JBN I agree with a lot of what you say when it relates to hockey but your emotions have you contradicting yourself a lot since the trade deadline.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
how so STD?

when it comes to contradictions?... I've essentially said it's win now or reload. I'm advocating for anything but an "Oil Change"

I thought Gillis needed to move one of his goalies. By moving Luongo he gets cap space. By moving Schneider he gets some cap space, assets back and you keep Luongo and have Lack as a succession plan.

I think he needs to buyout Booth (as I don't see any market for him trade wise) and potentially Ballard (DMen that can skate are assets, and his contract is negligible in certain deals where certain assets have more or less $ attached to them)

without a compliance buyout on one or both of Ballard/Booth and 1 goalie gone (trade, buyout, minors, walkaway by Luongo) there's not enough cap space to dress a roster next year.

Cupboards are bare in both quantity and quality of draft picks and prospects.

Aging team with too much $ and roster spots taken up by guys on the wrong side of 30.

Where's the contradictions? And what's to get emotional about? I cheer for the Nucks and watch hockey. I'm not batshit crazy "Nucks Fan" who thinks you could trade Ballard Booth Raymond and Luongo to xyz team for xyz Superstar(s) because EA NHL'13 said I could. ;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But what the fcuk do we need cap space for THIS season at this point?

As for CoHo, I still say in time, we will come out better with Kassian...

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN you and everyone knows we are going to have some cap issues for next year but you are upset with Gillis for not going after Gaborik, a single player with a cap hit of 7.5 million next year. Good player but that would screw us for next year even more. You say Gillis should dump Luongo at the deadline for basically nothing because we need cap space to win now. You rightfully say our cupboards are pretty bare but if you want to take advantage of the cap space this year by trading the best backup in the league for basically nothing we would have to deal the last few pieces that are left in the cupboard. We still had some cap relief left to make minor changes without dumping Luongo which Gillis tried to do by going after Clow and I believe Torres.

I don't think our chances are as bleak as everybody says they are, they have just to figure out right now how to get the best from the player we have now and we will have a chance. Funny how the Ducks were picked to finish at the bottom of the league at the bigining of the season and now they are one of the favourites to win the west.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You do remember the canucks won three games and had two chances to get win #4?

Put Hamuis back in that series for all seven games and take Chara out after the Bruins were down 2-0 in the series and who is winning the cup.

JBN I agree with a lot of what you say when it relates to hockey but your emotions have you contradicting yourself a lot since the trade deadline.

I remember 3 one goal games that one team squeaked out, and 4 games the other way that were decidedly NOT close...

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
You remember correctly, the radio station have been talking to death the fact that Tim Thomas couldn't win the close one but I don't remember when the NHL started using aggregate scoring in the playoffs.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Thomas had played three games against the Canucks and given up exactly one goal in them prior to the playoffs.... oops, meaningless aggregate crap, pardon me...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0