Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots of really good thoughts here and I agree there are areas that for sure that need improvement. A few thoughts:

1. Yes some of the powers that be at the Executive or leadership levels need to be supplemented and refreshed. Having said that I am not aware of many people other than guys like Geoff Catliff,Carlos and WAB that have stepped up, but that fact is it is a lot of unpaid work and they get little praise with a lot of criticism. It is hard, I submit, for someone with a full time job to commit to the time requirement involved. They need a professional person with 2014 thinking to get in there, but the problem is those types are engrossed in their paying jobs and do not have the time.
2. I agree that players should not be paid, and I assert that the leagues know this all too well. The company line is "we will not tolerate this" but they do know about it and refuse to deal with it for some reason. Getting paid a pittance especially in lieu of going to school or developing their vocational abilities is not constructive for these young men.
3. The young up and coming players (not all of them but several of them) have come from a generation of mommy or daddy driving them to training and to the games, paying outrageous youth fees, buying them three pairs of $250 boots etc, so when they get get to adult they have a tremendous sense of entitlement.
4. Until they get some other pieces in place, this Super League, I am sorry, is not a solution, and BC Soccer is not the answer to run something like that. They are just not competent at the adult level, and I agree that youth is their focus. The problem is where do youth go after youth is over? Forming that league would be like taking the top 4 teams from the EPL and the top 2 from the Championship and maybe SPL and saying that the new league would be better than the EPL, and better for the game.
5. One thing the old school league Execs can do is learn to use the Internet (I hear they have it on computers now). On line registration and player moves, fines etc are pretty easy, and that would eliminate these hours long line ups at 8 rinks which are unnecessary.

Finally, I believe that if there is a recipe for success, I say take a look at Inter. How many clubs would, after being relegated, take it on the chin, stick together, get promoted and then achieve what they have achieved this year? They could end up being Provincial Champs at the end of the year. That is unheard of in the present environment.

My thoughts on these topics. Sir M.

Last edited:

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
All this concern over youth. Seriously who cares. If they want to play, they will play. If they want to team hop, whatever. There is a saying, "you can lead your wife to water, but you shouldn't drown her". I think this applies here.

Players, teams and clubs need to have people who want to be there, who want to play and want to get involved. If not, they go away. Sooner or later, it will pick up again. Maybe in that frisbee game, or badminton, I don't know. But forcing kids to play and pining over the "system", laying blame isn't going to fix anything, because there is little to fix. Exceptional players will come and go, and will get picked up into scholarships or professional teams. Everyone else is just a weekend soccer warrior like the rest of us.

Be thankful you are on a team/club who designates a beer man, and that position is held with its head high and on ice.

That is all.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
SU makes the final, again, winning in PKs over MF
Strange game. Hard to understand logic used by MF coach. Subs 2 players at half then brings them back again although he had 5 other players on the bench. Keeps useless and totally ineffective central midfielder for 119 minutes (lost every battle in the middle but it looks he is needed to take every free kick). Puts in a slow guy to play center forward although he had two speedsters playing outside (but quite defensively) and then he subs the guy he put in.

SU obviously more experienced. Very tired during O/T (made only 1 sub if I remember) and lucky that MF missed a couple of good opportunities in O/T. It looks to me that a better managed team goes to the finals.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
SU makes the final, again, winning in PKs over MF
Disappointing game, two teams that were either afraid to lose and played defensively or two teams who can't create chances. Too many backward passes and little passion. The ref "Justwanttoplay" had an easy game to call, with few hard tackles. Instead fans witnessed lots of unharried passes backwards.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strange game. Hard to understand logic used by MF coach. Subs 2 players at half then brings them back again although he had 5 other players on the bench. Keeps useless and totally ineffective central midfielder for 119 minutes (lost every battle in the middle but it looks he is needed to take every free kick). Puts in a slow guy to play center forward although he had two speedsters playing outside (but quite defensively) and then he subs the guy he put in.

SU obviously more experienced. Very tired during O/T (made only 1 sub if I remember) and lucky that MF missed a couple of good opportunities in O/T. It looks to me that a better managed team goes to the finals.

How do you say that one team is better managed than another when it goes to penalties? The guys that were subbed in for MF played well and they were the better team in OT, thanks to the subs. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know SU has more experience but don't throw the MF coach under the bus. The subs he made turned the game in their favour.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Croat Masters went into the BCs as favorites, crashed and burned, and the open team comes out of no where to claim all the glory, something most of the Masters guys couldn't achieve when playing open in the 90s.

:wa:

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs Croatia has been around for a long time since 1959. Wining is what the club is all about. Club has more youth and it showed. Legs are key to any club that wants to stay in premier League in VMSL. What makes it even more fun is when you see every nation on the team.
It shows that team can win with out Zaharija or Johnny.
Again youth brings better results with a balance of older guys.
Over all it was a good year for Croatian soccer clubs.
Hope they see you in their golf tournament in the summer. Every penny helps the club. Going to Nationals will cost between twenty to thirty thousand.
Croatian Master team need's a Coach for direction. Rest they have. Fitness is key to winning in Provincial play down.
Club has made many Croat's in Vancouver proud they all stand behind them and wish them all the best.
The old club saying is maple leaf we be, but red white and blue we bleed.
Cheers boys have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0