Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Canada Olympic Hockey Team

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Roster selection announced, how do you think this team will do?

Dan Hamhuis!

Team Canada Roster

Goalies

Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks
Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens
Mike Smith, Phoenix Coyotes

Defencemen
Jay Bouwmeester, St. Louis Blues
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings
Dan Hamhuis, Vancouver Canucks
Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks
Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues
P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens
Marc-Edouard Vlasic, San Jose Sharks
Shea Weber, Nashville Predators

Forwards
Jamie Benn, Dallas Stars
Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
Jeff Carter, Los Angeles Kings
Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche
Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
Chris Kunitz, Pittsburgh Penguins
Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks
Rick Nash, New York Rangers
Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks
Patrick Sharp, Chicago Blackhawks
Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
John Tavares, New York Islanders
Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Giroux has had excellent success (when it rains it pours) with other guys who've produced with him/for him. When Jagr was in Philly was when Giroux initially exploded onto the scene in a big way. Then Voracek was on fire... Giroux I think is a great player, his one skill set that sets him far apart is his versatility (Centre and Wing) and his faceoff prowess. But they have other excellent guys for faceoffs that can play multiple positions as well as do other things like kill penalties regularly for their teams, something Giroux doesn't do a ton of. Giroux reminds me a bit like Kesler in so far as he's streaky but is essentially useless to Canada if he's not scoring whereas Kesler can be the best shutdown C in the game regardless of offense.

I think Yzerman and Co. just about nailed it. I wouldn't have had the Vlasic the Pickle on the team and would have had Seabrook. I'd also suggest it's a pick 'em between any combination of Marleau, Carter and St Louis and Giroux. Interestingly if you look at the stats Carter and Marleau kill penalties more for their teams than St Louis and Giroux do.

If this team was on NHL sized ice and not Olympic sized ice I'd have made the following changes:
Defencemen
Jay Bouwmeester, St. Louis Blues
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings
Dan Hamhuis, Vancouver Canucks
Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks
Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues
P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens
Marc-Edouard Vlasic, San Jose Sharks Brent Seabrook, Chicago Blackhawks
Shea Weber, Nashville Predators
Forwards
Jamie Benn, Dallas Stars Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes
Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
Jeff Carter, Los Angeles Kings Milan Lucic, Boston Bruins
Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche
Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
Chris Kunitz, Pittsburgh Penguins
Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers
Rick Nash, New York Rangers
Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks
Patrick Sharp, Chicago Blackhawks
Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
John Tavares, New York Islanders
Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

In any event the line combinations are salivating... It will be super interesting to see the special teams roles.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sadly no, capgeek only accounted for the teams made wholly of NHL players..Sweden, Canada and the Yanks. CSKA Moscow pays Radulov a rumored $14MM per year...Kovalchuk is apparently making nearly $10MM per year... I would assume the Russians and their filthy ex-KGB mafia owners have that Gold Medal down pat.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go Russia. No Flyers on the team. Fcuk you, Team Canada. How is Giroux not in the mix. Great skater.....open ice.....PLEASE don't tell me that Voracek and Jagr make him tick. And please don't put Giroux and Kessler in the same breath......not even close.

Go on the Commies/Mafia.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shamrock- Kesler has won the Selke, is on an Olympic roster (albeit an inferior one)

Giroux is a fantastic player- I'm not taking anything away from him, he's not a first team penalty killer in Philly, Couturier and Read do that ahead of him... and are you really going to take Giroux over Crosby, Getzlaf, Toews and Tavares? Tavares might be the one argument you could make, except he's 3rd in league scoring... Bergeron is the 5th Centre on the team because he's a God in the faceoff circle, has been there upteen times for Hockey Canada and kills penaties.

This isn't an all-star team, otherwise Hamhuis, Marleau, Duchene, Nash and Vlasic wouldn't be on the team.

I'll also submit to you that if 1 guy can't go or gets hurt etc Giroux will be the first called, not St Louis or Staal.

rich2

Oct 17, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
the reason giroux didn't get picked is because of his rivalry with crosby. nash got picked because he plays really well with toews.

rich2

Oct 17, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
agree with shamrock, please do not mention ryan keslers name with giroux or any players mentioned with team canada, thank-you.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, yeah... The Guy picking the team is catching shite for not bringing Marty St Louis and he didn't pick Claude because Sid and him don't like each other? Give me strength... I wonder how well Carter/Doughty get along with Getzlaff/Perry.

also, in case you have a bad memory, Nash played most of the 2010 Olympics with Crosby...and later in the tourney with Iggy on that line.

Your tin-foil hat on too tight today?

The Flyers are a distinctly average team and it's just sour grapes that Giroux didn't make the team.

rich2

Oct 17, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
But if luck doesn’t turn against Canada, winning that gold medal should happen, just as Team Canada’s 7-3 victory over Russia came as no surprise given the extrordinary depth of this edition of Team Canada.

In this game, for instance, it was Canada’s fourth line of Mike Richards, Rick Nash and the superlative young hockey ace Jonathan Toews that was the team’s most dominant unit, shutting down the Alexander Ovechkin unit, while scoring two goals themselves.

rich2

Oct 17, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Toews finished the Olympics with a goal and seven assists in eight games and was a team-best plus nine. He was named a tournament all-star and the best forward at the Games.

His line, which included Rick Nash and Mike Richards, was easily the best unit on either team in Sunday’s games — a line that Canadian head coach Mike Babcock put together in the qualifying round when Team Canada was still finding its legs.

“The Americans gave us the opportunity to play another game against the Germans, and we were able to sort out a lot of stuff during that game, and that was one of them,” said Babcock, in reference to a preliminary loss to the U.S. “(Toews and Nash) with Richards was a dominate line for us.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Team Canada has released the official roster c/w sweater numbers.
http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/roster/show/1070431?subseason=143136

Interesting useless factoids:
2 guys under 6' tall (Crosby and Duchene)
5 players under 200lbs. (Stamkos, Bergeron, Tavares, Kunitz & Sharp)
5 from BC, 1 from AB, 3 from SASK, 1 from MN, 11 from ON, 3 from QUE, 1 from NS)
4 Lefties/4 Righties on D, 8 Lefties/6 Righties up front
3 oldest players (born in '79) are Luongo, Marleau and Kunitz
Youngest ('91) is Duchene.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts