Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that the club has re-signed striker Caleb Clarke. The club also confirmed it has finalized the future considerations trade with Toronto FC from last March that saw Vancouver acquire Matías Laba, exercised the 2015 contract options on nine players, and declined the contract options on five players.

“Last year we built a solid core group of players and we continue to head in the right direction,” said Whitecaps FC head coach Carl Robinson. “Consistency is important and we are excited to have the vast majority of our roster returning next season.”

Whitecaps FC picked up the options on goalkeepers Marco Carducci, David Ousted and Paolo Tornaghi, defender Ethen Sampson, midfielders Mehdi Ballouchy, Gershon Koffie and Andre Lewis, as well as strikers Erik Hurtado and Darren Mattocks.

The club also announced that it has declined the options on centre back Johnny Leverón, attacking midfielders Sebastián Fernández, Nicolás Mezquida, and Mauro Rosales, as well as striker Mamadou Diouf. The club remains in contact with all five players, as well as out-of-contract centre back Andy O’Brien, regarding their future with the club.

“There are still a number of discussions that are currently taking place and we will continue to provide updates when available,” added Robinson.

Per MLS roster rules and regulations, Rosales will be eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Process unless he opts out or signs a new deal. Phase One of the Re-Entry Draft will occur on December 12; Phase Two is set for December 18. Meanwhile, Diouf will be eligible for the MLS Waiver Draft on December 10 and should he clear waivers, he will be invited to the ’Caps 2015 preseason training camp.

In addition to the Re-Entry Process and Waiver Draft, the 2014 Expansion Draft will take place on December 10.

Stay tuned to whitecapsfc.com and follow Whitecaps FC on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news throughout the offseason.

The following 21 Whitecaps FC players are under contract for the 2015 season.

Goalkeeper (3): Marco Carducci, David Ousted, Paolo Tornaghi

Defenders (6): Sam Adekugbe, Steven Beitashour, Christian Dean, Jordan Harvey, Ethen Sampson, Kendall Waston

Midfielders (8): Mehdi Ballouchy, Marco Bustos, Kianz Froese, Gershon Koffie, Matias Laba, Andre Lewis, Pedro Morales, Russell Teibert

Strikers (4): Caleb Clarke, Erik Hurtado, Kekuta Manneh, Darren Mattocks

I know Rosales is a money issue that we can hopefully work out, but scratch Mattocks and Hurtado and you can play a guy who makes a difference, apart from two plugs, one who is barely useful to one who is a complete plug. Mattocks NEEDS TO GO, I can deal with Hurtado for the most part but Mattocks? Im not sure I can handle another season of Mattocks.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't agree w/ you more, re Mattocks. Hopefully they have some sort of deal to unload him in the works.

I hope they can work something out w/ Nicolás Mezquida, and Mauro Rosales. Rosales, no explanation needed. Mezquida I think was underutilized, and can be a nice attacking option out wide. I'd like to know what kind of season Lewis ended up having.

Early days, yet...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or...is there a chance Mattocks will be left unprotected? I guess there must be, since the club obviously hasn't revealled that yet.

It still may be a good ending to this story.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
11 Protected
Steven Beitashour
Jordan Harvey
Erik Hurtado
Gershon Koffie
Matias Laba (Int'l)
Johnny Leveron (Int'l)
Kekuta Manneh
Darren Mattocks
Pedro Morales (Int'l)
David Ousted (Int'l)
Kendall Waston (Int'l)

Automatically Protected
Samuel Adekugbe (Homegrown)
Bryce Alderson (Homegrown)
Marco Carducci (Homegrown)
Caleb Clarke (Homegrown)
Christian Dean (Generation adidas)
Kianz Froese (Homegrown)
Ethen Sampson (Int'l / Homegrown)
Russell Teibert (Homegrown)

Exposed
Mehdi Ballouchy
Mamadou Diouf (Int'l)
Sebastian Fernandez (Int'l)
Gabriel Mezquida (Int'l)
Carlyle Mitchell (Int'l)
Andy O'Brien (Int'l)
Mauro Rosales
Paolo Tornaghi
Andre Lewis (Int'l)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saw the list this morning.

Baffled. It's stuff like this that gets me wondering what they know that we don't. On the surface, the protection, or better, exposure of Mattocks seems like a no brainer.

Why protect Mattocks and leave Lewis exposed? I mean, you know what you have in Mattocks, which is to say, not much. Maybe they know what they have in Lewis, but he is much younger, and they have a need to develope an attack from the outside. Or again, why not protect Mezquida over Mattocks? More pedigree, has far superior technical skills, and is more versitile. He's a footballer, not a track star...oops, just answered my own question.

The rest of the exposed I can agree with and / or understand the reasonaing behind it.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good he was the shits any way. Plays like a fly. We might lose one more on Monday. That tells you that our players are not as good as some guys think. I am sure Robbo will bring a guy or two from Latin lands. Team lacks a true striker. One would like to see a Canadian or two added next year.
Craig and his side kick keep on developing but no young men are given a chance.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good he was the shits any way. Plays like a fly. We might lose one more on Monday. That tells you that our players are not as good as some guys think.

Hmmmm you do know that Ballouchy and Mitchell were the only two players available? Let's see if we get two quality strikers and a couple of wide players before we judge next season.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good signing..

Will the new Whitecaps team (USL PRO) as well as the other Canadian teams in the USL PRO (once they are established) compete for the Canadian Championship?

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps soon will add a 22 year old striker from Chile. As far as USL Pro league. Waste of money. Caps do not care about local talent. They get guys from Latin countries to bring fans in, also kids from down south have better foot skills than kids here. Coaching here is way over passive. Kids stop developing after 15. In orther to change the program Caps needs to put a youth program in Elsavador or Costa Rica or in a Europian country.
That would be the only way for our kids to learn the game the way World plays. Playing against kids with same development program changes nothing.
You can see it with Fonsaca and our National program. They are trying but just spinning the wheels. One must change it up to do better.
There is no way Robbo will risk his job to give kids a chance. Bit here and there but not much.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
About time to add a guy with size. It will take one more like him. One alone is not enough as you can see Mattocks is just not at that top level yet.
Now they need to fine a six foot five centre D in his twenties to help out Costorican and one more big centre mid as MLS is getting more mean each year. Cheers Umbro Cheers.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Slightly some renewed respect :)

10895014_410166259152642_305245233_n.jpg

10899369_416511538496883_670178040_n.jpg

10899247_635954263198747_965439247_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.