Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The draft is absolutely part of the legacy of the original MLS and it is 100% geared towards NCAA/US players. Canadian University players are not even eligible for the draft, which the Canadian clubs should be demanding they change.

In the old days there were no MLS acadmies, so yes NCAA was viewed as the development system of US players. The Generation Adidas program was supposed to identify top young US talent and get them into a professional environment sooner by guaranteeing them a decent salary (100K+). To be eligible the players need to be underclassmen (Freshman, Sophmore, Junior), or in the case of a Kekutah Manneh straight out of high school. It was interesting this year to see a lot of the players the league approached to be part of the program simply refused and preferred to stay in school longer. I think that had a lot to do with the upcoming CBA that is scheduled to be re-negotiated.

I suspect within the next 5 years we will see the elimination of the draft.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude MLS is a good League for American kids with or with out draft. The older the league gets the more loop holes are out there for American clubs to do better. Any time any league takes money from a player transfer tells you how much control is out there. American kids drafted are no better than Canadian kids in good programs yet local clubs go crap shooting south and east. Best team Whitecaps ever head was 80% Canadian players. I see no reason for Bob and Robbo going south for draft players. I do agree get some good pro's from other countries to help our kids develop. Development League is no better than The PCSL league. There was talk that the club was going to draft a local Canadian kid I guess that's all just a moomoo balls. I wish them luck but I will not buy season tickets might see Toronto an Seattle. When they start giving local kids a chance I will buy again.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've wondered about why the Canadian University system players aren't eligible. So, any kid coming out of a Canadian University is essentially a free agent? Again, why aren't the Canadian Clubs taking advantage? Is it a case of assets? The US Drafted player, due to being drafted, is a better overall asset? I suppose w/ the AG designation, they are.

It would make sense now w/ three CDN clubs that there should be something of equal value in place for them to draft domestically, considering there is a domestic rule to adhere to.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think and I hope that with the new USL (reserve team) that Canadian players will be given a chance to play and prove themselves and if they do then I hope that they then get a chance to play in the MLS. I don't want to see Canadian kids playing in the MLS that aren't good enough just because they are Canadian. I also think ten years from now the draft will no longer be around since most of the best kids are going to be club tied at earlier ages.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've wondered about why the Canadian University system players aren't eligible. So, any kid coming out of a Canadian University is essentially a free agent? Again, why aren't the Canadian Clubs taking advantage? Is it a case of assets? The US Drafted player, due to being drafted, is a better overall asset? I suppose w/ the AG designation, they are.

It would make sense now w/ three CDN clubs that there should be something of equal value in place for them to draft domestically, considering there is a domestic rule to adhere to.

Yes Canadian Uni players are free agents in MLS. There is no clear reason why the Canadian clubs are not scouting CIS and giving these players a chance, but I suppose they view the jump from CIS to MLS as being too big. I know the Whitecaps did bring the top couple of players from the U of Sask program to play with their PDL team last summer. Meanwhile, there is currently a Whitecaps Residency graduate on UBC who is playing for our U-20 national team in the Concacaf Championships. You'd hope that he would be targeted to put school on hold and play on the new Whitecaps USL-Pro team. Hopefully the USL-P bridges the gap, and provides opportunities to these players.

Yes, the GA designation makes a player more a valuable asset, but there are only 5-10 of these players per draft year. For the rest of the players in the draft, they are no more of an asset, and often no better than the top CIS players. A perfect example would be Greg Klazura.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dezza that's not the reason. A young GM would look for a good player. Have a Canadian University combine here. Show case your kids be a proud Canadian. Gum suckers a dime a dozen. It's through thee Canadian clubs dumbness in Canada that they do not help their own. Yet they ask of us to support the Crap. You will have a child playing soccer you will see my point.
To me it he or them look like two face people. GM's chance came from a local club like Grandview Legion . Not fom USA.
Every photo taken on MLS draft day guy looks like he loves that part. Looking at him makes me laugh. Soon to be mammy. I would be ashamed to walk the local streets if I did that to kids in BC or Canada.
Round three and on are on Tuesday we will see four more guys fro US or Tim Back Too. How about Surrey or Victoria or Alberta. Those kids would give more that Mattacks or any other guys coming here and on top of it could support their family playing soccer.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am happy for Robbo and his guys. With that said club is saying it's moving towards younger group of guys as a leaderes. It's about time. Now if those younger coaches would give Canadian kids chances I would love it bit more. With out Canadian kids on the pitch ho cares.
Tuesday is the rest of MLS draft we will see ho they pick up. If I see one Canadian kid in the group I would be very happy with these guys. Craig and rest of the guys in resedancy must be going nuts watching all that. All their kids are getting over looked. There is no way I would have my kid in the program passed 15 years of age. No use.
It's time to form BC and Alberta Pro sSoccer League to give our kids a chance. developing USA kids just kicks us in the ars.

Last edited:

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like they picked up a couple of Canadian kids for you Base including a kid from Coquitlam that played for SFU. I am pretty sure they will be playing in the USL to start which is the way it should be. Prove yourself there then move up to the big team.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's about frigen time. Both of those kids I did see play. Jovan is a skilled good goal score. Nikola Paunic is back line player plays simple and tough Toronto area kid came from Srbija. Jovan I think he is a Canadian born kid with Serbian parents. Best of luck to both they will need time to get to next level. Both with in a year or two will show that Robbo made a right pick. This will also help Fonseca for Canadian national program.
Love it Maple leaf for ever.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/nikola-paunic
http://blogs.theprovince.com/tag/alan-koch/
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Caps+take+Jovan+Blagojevic+SuperDraft/10745850/story.html

Both those guys are Serbs (one born in Serbia and the other one in Montenegro). I remember Jovan and know that he is a hard working kid so I am happy for him. Also, I am quite sure that he is better player than Hurtado and Mattocks which begs the question how the hell he (and quite a few other local kids) has never been noticed by Whitecaps before (as far as I know he was not even playing for Whitecaps Y team or Residency team, etc.).
SFU coach Koch is apparently now a scout for Whitecaps so that is why actually a local kid finally got "noticed" by Whitecaps.
Jovan was born in 1991 and that generation (along with 1992) had a lot of great players but Whitecaps basically never showed any interest in any of them (that tells us a story about their scouting system and their interest into local talent pool). They rather chased "Hurtadoses and Mattockses" while numerous local talents got lost in ridiculous BCSA and Whitecaps "partnership".

Unfortunately (I hope I am wrong) it is maybe a little too late for Jovan. He is now 24 and I am afraid he will waste a couple of years trying to make Whitecaps team while he probably would be better off finishing his school.
In one of those articles it looks that he is interested into a becoming a doctor so, at 24, I'd say to him that he better focusses on school instead of wasting time on USL (most likely) and eventually MLS.

Nikola (born in 1993) is two years younger than Jovan so maybe those two years will make a difference (in eventually taking the next step and becoming a soccer pro). Anyway, I personally would not suggest anyone from Toronto moving west to Whitecaps since Whitecaps have not proved to be capable of developing young players. I think (without knowing a lot about Nikola) that he'll do better if he tries in Europe.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I "liked" your post.

The only thing I'd say is this...if, at 24, you were in Jovan's shoes, what would you do? Me, if I had that sort of tallent, I think I'd chase the dream for a couple of years. You never know. He will get on w/ WFC2, and if he shows well, scores a boatload (he has an obvious nose for the net), then gets the call up...then you never know. All it takes is one good showing on the 1st team to get you noticed, and if you can stick...as a Canadian Dometic player, all of a sudden you are into a salary range that makes it worthwhile staying around.

Schooling will always be there for those w/ drive and brains. Being young(ish), skilled, and tallented won't. He only gets one shot (cue Emminem) at this, so I'd say take it...

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude Jovan knows that he first has to make USL Pro team. And do what he knows how. It's not an easy task there is thirty five guys fighting for sixteen spots. Keeper they drafted is a good young player plus the guy they have in reserve system.
This is why the club wants USL Pro team. All that is to see what other clubs have to see if the players Caps draft are as good as guys from other clubs. One or two of those kids in USL pro League might be called up to main Club for a game or two. I can tell you one thing Jovan will not waste his time with out a pay cheque. See I would give Caps a year to see where I stand. If not I would give a Europe a try for a year if not go on and get a paying job. Meath does not pay the bills. Same for Nikola. They are both smart kids do not kid your self. Both can get a paying job in China in a split sec.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude Jovan knows that he first has to make USL Pro team. And do what he knows how. It's not an easy task there is thirty five guys fighting for sixteen spots. Keeper they drafted is a good young player plus the guy they have in reserve system.
This is why the club wants USL Pro team. All that is to see what other clubs have to see if the players Caps draft are as good as guys from other clubs. One or two of those kids in USL pro League might be called up to main Club for a game or two. I can tell you one thing Jovan will not waste his time with out a pay cheque. See I would give Caps a year to see where I stand. If not I would give a Europe a try for a year if not go on and get a paying job. Meath does not pay the bills. Same for Nikola. They are both smart kids do not kid your self. Both can get a paying job in China in a split sec.
you sure?

Attachments

• Walter White.jpg
    Walter White.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 48

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only thing I'd say is this...if, at 24, you were in Jovan's shoes, what would you do? Schooling will always be there for those w/ drive and brains. Being young(ish), skilled, and tallented won't. He only gets one shot (cue Emminem) at this, so I'd say take it...

I believe I already answered what I'd (probably) do if Whitecaps have drafted me at age of 24. We are talking here about playing eventually in USL league initially (where there is almost no money; at least, no significant money involved), not about La Liga or Bundesliga.
Obviously, I'd probably advise him not to waste more than 6 months (just to see what is going on, how things look like, if there is any chance he can eventually quickly make MLS roster - otherwise pursue your dreams to become a doctor starting September 2015).
Whitecaps simply do not look to me as an organization that knows how to help a talented player to become a real pro and have a successful soccer career. How many talented kids they have had at younger age and what have they done all those years? Remind me of one name that succeeded under Whitecaps umbrella? Oh, wait, there is Russell Teibert, damn it! How could I forget?

Anyway, best of luck to Jovan (and other Canadian young players who were drafted). Hopefully some of them will make a significant impact not only at MLS level but on a larger scale; the more Canadian kids get drafted, the better chance for Canada to leave that dreadful 112th place on FIFA list!

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
RL yesterdays draft opened the door for Jovan and Nikola in case they don't make the big club. If this is what they want to do for living then both must look for a club where they will make a pay cheque. If Whitecaps are it then the better if not bot will be given chance in Europe in a Second div. Both can make living from it. We all know Jovan. He dreams to play for Caps and I think Nikola the same. Once you are drafted after first two guys your chances are way lower making the big club but you never know. Three four lucky days and one moves on up the scale.Caps are a young side Robbo does give wee bit of time to youngsters every so often. At the same time he must protect his job. I am sure there is few Serbian companies that will help these two guys to build their soccer development and help them out along the way. These two guys will make Serbian community in this town very proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0