Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Copa America

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, Messi is saying he is retiring now from international duties at the age of 29 - heat of the moment stuff for sure and I can't see it sticking.

Chile won in PKs:

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, Messi is saying he is retiring now from international duties at the age of 29 - heat of the moment stuff for sure and I can't see it sticking.

Chile won in PKs:

It was a very interesting and exciting final. The refereeing was awful.
With respect to Messi, it is a really complicated issue at so many levels. Messi will be always controversial in the National Team because he left Argentina so young (12 years old). In so many aspects, he is more Spaniard than Argentinean both culturally and soccer wise. He was not forged on the Argentinean Primera Division, he has not taken part on the Boca-River derby or the many national derbies. He has problems connecting with the other people in the national team. Even people get upset with him for the way he sings the national anthem. Without heart and sometimes not in the way that Argentineas speak.
This is the difference between him and Maradona. Maradona understood the guys around him and could motivate them and connected well with them on the field and off the field. This might even be a defence mechanism for Messi. He knew that the public and press would eat him alive for losing three cups in a row. So rather that facing the wrath of the press and the public, he says I retire.
It is really not the same to be raised and trained in Barcelona than in Buenos Aires.

To the defence of Martino, it is really difficult to organize a good team with a super star like Messi. It took YEARS for Bilardo to make Maradona click with the National Team. They lost a lot and changed the formation and tactics so many times.
It might be best for the National Team to be without Messi.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. To put it on perspective, Maradona told them: "If you do not win this cup, please do not come back". That was a huge pressure on the team. Chile had nothing lose. They did well.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
People are threatening to put bombs in the offices of the AFA and many people are resigning. It is not only Messi or other players. It is really huge pressure the one that Messi and the others receive it.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do not
Possibly a heat of the moment reaction playing an entire game like this :

#support

View attachment 14941
I do not think so. The AFA is a deep political turmoil. I know that you do not believe that politics and soccer mix, but the labour unions and Argentinean upper classes are fighting for the control of the organization. They might not even field a team in the Olympics and Martino just resigned due to the political battles. The players are tired of the pressure and so the coaching staff. Only 6 players showed for trainning.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Possibly more to do with the fact that Messi and his father were just indicted for tax evasion...
Indicted? I thought it was convicted. 21 months in prison but Spanish laws suspend sentencing (or whatever you call it) for first time offenders.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
15284179_1300374850024981_81975206112415539_n.jpg

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So sad...

It's cool though to see everyone rallying for them and circling the wagons.

Athletico Nacional are top class to react the way they did so quickly.

Also, the top clubs back in Brazil are offering to loan them players for free for the rest of the season.

What a tragedy.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Total act of class by Nacional, I also feel for all the Nacional players who miss out on the final. Heads are going to roll in the Brazilian air safety (or whatever its called) had them take the plane knowing it had issues instead of the original charter they were going to use. A very sad day in sports.RIP champions.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts