Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like Manneh? The press fawn over him, but he's really a lot of flash for very little actual production. But...with him out there as a threat, I still say it opens up space for El Bicho do do some actual, real productive, work.

I do love that The Bug is coming back, would love to know the details, but honestly, this was a very important matter to address. Morales is a massive question mark for me. Never 100% healthy. Didn't get very good traction last year, in terms of consistency. Then he was gone again. It worries me that he's brittle. I would not dispute the turf contributing to this. I think his inconsistency was the bigger issue for midfield weaknesses though the year. It left the middle in a constant state of flux, not easy to manage.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. Agreed on Morales. If he is not healthy and producing this upcoming season then we should part with him.

I think it will be tough to put them both up top as it really asks lots of questions to the midfield. What two guys will be our two man midfield behind our two attackers?

Laba 9/10 defensive but 5/10 offensive, morales is the opposite. (Give or take here, you know what I mean) I don't see them being in a flat 4 middle.
Morales doesn't grind or work on the defensive end. So really only one spot for him.

Perhaps it's the same shape, but now, RIv, new guy and morales share the spots.
I can see Riv naturally getting on the ball I. The 10 spot lots and keeping possession, but he is not spraying like morales.

Will be interesting where the new guy fits in. I'm thinking he is just an option up top or wide or perhaps in the 10 spot and we won't switch the shape much.

Manneh needs to be wide and no where else. Morales in the 10 spot and no where else. Riviero and central striker and no where else. Laba a solo holder or with another.

So not much space to re jig it all and fit him in a two man partnership up top in my eyes. Unless we get another two way midfield that can get up the field and create as well.

Laba Koffie maybe, but really, who's Unlocking out of those two?

He will be central up top or on the wing. Just depth and scoring option. Someone to at least challenge Riv for that spot up top. We need it. But I don't think a final answer.
Seems to small to play solo up top and hold up the ball.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd personally like to see a traditional 4-2-2. Yes, it does put more responsibility on the wingers to track back. I don't and didn't see Tetchera having issues tracking back. Manneh, for sure we did, but fak me, he's a professional footballer and only about 21/22 this season, time to grow up, be match fit, and work on that fitness if you aren't up to par. And Robo, sit him down for an extended period until he shows 90 minute endurance. Put the onus on the player to improve his base level fitness.

I read on, erm, some other forum this morning that Manneh has been rehabbing his ankle since the final match, and "thinks" he will be ready for the season to start. "Thinks"? Are you fist fcuking me? You not only need to be prepared to start, but you need to use the offseason to get stronger in all areas. Is he doing that? I think the club has some hungry players behind Manneh that can slot in. I keep mentioning Bustos...why not? Not everyone is a fan of Ferose, but again, why not? I bet his fitness levels are higher than Manneh's. How about Mezquida? I know that at least in the cases of Bustos and Mezquida we aren't talking about players in their traditional, natural positions, but why shouldn't both be able to transition and play a wide, attacking role where you are also being asked to track back?

Manneh got way too much freedom this season. The fans, and Robo, fell in love with the nuclear threat that is his speed and penetrating runs...but a nuclear threat is only a threat unless the red button is pushed. No bottom line. The bug at least has a good, solid bottom line. Morales? For the minutes he played, pretty good bottom line.

Anyhow...really looking forward to the season!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 4-4-2 could work but I don't think we have the pieces for the two in the middle. Unless you make it a diamon and laba holds and morales is attacking mid.
Then the wingers need to play more narrow, which could work with your Bustos and Mezquida call perhaps.

But lots of teams play 3 in the middle and I don't think one ball winner is enough in this league with morales floating around being the other.

You need a bit of pace on the lines to keep back lines honest. The diamond could work if we get some track stars as wingbacks though.

Again, I just don't see morales splitting the field and covering lots of ground with just another partner in the middle.

4-4-2 is dieing. With the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 being so popular you always get outnumbered in the middle. Usually at least a 4-4-1-1 where one striker helps a bit in the middle and puts pressure on other teams holder. But that takes tons of work tracking back always rather then naturally just sitting as an "attacking mid", In a 4-2-3-1.

I wouldn't mind seeing the diamond though if this new striker is for real. With morales right in behind them both. Laba holding.
It's a tough system but you can really lock down the middle of the park with it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oops. 4-4-2.

My rationale is- assuming our new striker is indeed what they are selling to us- that we already have MOST of the pieces in place to run a 4-4-2. It looks like Sam Adekube will win back the LB spot. There is still a question mark at RB, but who knows, maybe they move Harvey over there. I think the Parker / Watson combo is as formidable as any pairing, and Laba has shown he can do the work of one holding mid.

As much as I really like the work rate and hold-up play of Rivero, his lack of finish was a real problem over the last 1/2 of the season. To the point where he was laying off inside 18 instead of firing. I really do still think he's an asset, and as strikers go, it's all about confidence...and you know he will be working this offseason to regain that. That said, I've always felt a good partner would benefit him, and would definitely benefit from him and his play.

I also really wish Gershon Koffie had had a stellar, consistent season as a true box-to-box midfielder, and potted a few goals, or at the very least been a consistent threat on goal. Had that occurred, I'd definitely be on the 4-2-3-1 page. As is is now, he's been a regular starter in this league for a good 4 seasons now, and we see flashes of brilliance, some very good defensive work, but also some outright disappearing acts.

I suppose it is all about the personnel at hand. I want that consistent scoring threat up top. I want the constant pressure, and the reality is, if most teams are playing a 4-2-3-1, it should allow the attack to overload opposition fairly quickly- especially with a good hold-up man up top. And yes, in a 4-4-2 it does ask a lot of the outside mids, but fak me, again, these guys are pros, and frankly, it Manneh isn't durable and doesn't have the work ethic to rehab and train properly, maybe you should be shopping him? At one point I loved the guy and his potential, but his propensity to carry the ball to long, and have that one last, way too heavy a touch, makes me want to pull my hair out. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, and by the body language on the pitch of his teammates, I don't know how many really love playing with him. Certainly Rivero seemed to have had enough of the kid many times.

All that said, Lion, looks like we mostly agree. I think that, considering TTP is on it's death bed, Regs should make a Dude / Lion High Five emoticom. For moments like this, when we should be able to high five, but can't.

Attachments

• Self high-five.jpg
    Self high-five.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
200.gif

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yup Polska, just got back. Looks like the Caps have been busy. Hope they've got something cooking for a new option at RB as well.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like Caps added bit more grit to their roster. Big striker was needed here. Centre D they added is very balanced strong with pace. And the youngster from Div 2 can score a will.
Good move by Caps.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The guy has the world by the balls right now, eh? A poor man's version of a proper EPL footballer...model / actress wife, baby, successful career. Only difference is the weekly wages. Jordan better hang onto this one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/01/20/whitecaps-fc-acquire-bolanos

Regs, looks like Robo isn't quite enamoured w/ Manneh, either!

This has been on the rumour pile for a while now, nice to see it come through. This should bring the level of professionalism up that much higher in Vancouver. Players like Manneh can sit and watch two intelligent, technically sound, and athletic wingers in Bolanos & Techera apply their craft. He'll either finally "get it" and get to work on improving on the very many weaknesses he constantly displays while leaning on his crutches. I hope the kid sees that his selfish play, and propensity to kill attacks, are now threatening his career.

Great signing!

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude Bolanos has to make the team yet. Manney is getting more mature each year. No one will push Manneh out. He will end up in Europe on one of the sides.
Robbo likes to pay guys little and get results out of them for two three years till they figure it out. With addition of the youth this year team will get better. James Moberg is not a small guy Coffee might be out in a year. He also added Tyler David dam good defender. And Victoria BC kid Josh Heard, scrappy midfielder. One could see Mattocks go or he has to step it big times Senner given a chance will be a guy Robbo was looking for, mean direct and good in air.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummm...you do realize Bolanos is signed, sealed, and delivered? There is no question about him "making the team".

I read some line-ups on the Province this morning (Webber), http://www.theprovince.com/sports/weber+bolaños+signing+gives+whitecaps+lots+options/11665275/story.html

He got the opinions of DeVos, Corazzin, and Rodgers. I was SHOCKED to see all three value Manneh that high, and even more shocked to see only DeVos has Techera in the 11. SHOCKED!

Did these guys not watch last season? What I saw was- I'll give credit where due- Manneh with one or two plays a game where he will lift everyone in the stadium out of their seats. He's definitely a nuclear threat. BUT, what I saw more often and glaring for me, was Manneh choose to carry the ball into nothing, into trouble, or out of touch. Too often a heavy touch where a promising play would dissolve because he'd pass right into the defender's feet. AND, too many tmes where he could play into Rivero, who'd be well positioned to play a give-and-go, but instead Manneh would look him off and kill the pla on his own. Selfish, unintelligent play. Technically, I can live with Manneh's few shortcomings. And tactically, I don't see him nearly as clueless as Mattocks (or technically, for that matter). I still see a lot of value. But, I see that he got his minutes because there wasn't anyone in the squad who was a clear better option.

These guys (Corazzin, and Rodgers) are saying Manneh supplants Techera. Seriously. I say they are on crack. Rodgers, I don't know him. I have met and got to know Carlo a little through hockey many years agao, but more important, I followed his career and really value what he has to say. I can't for the life of me understand why he is so seduced w/ Manneh. Corazzin...a guy who played on a higher intellectual and competitive level, who valued technical and tactical instincts in his career, favors Manneh over Techera. That is FCUKED. These guys are also assuming Manneh remains as the primary option after camp ends. I don't see it. First, he's injured and recovering. Again. For a guy who still does not have a base of fitness to last 90 minutes on a consistent basis, this doesn't bode well. Secondly...he's not part of our best 11 anymore.

Now, in Kudo, we have what appears to be an interesting player with some success in finishing in a very good league. That said, we know very little about this guy, and I have no idea how success in the J will transfer here. So, maybe that means Manneh has a chance as a pairing for Rivero in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. But in Bolanos? We have a guy we've recently see perform outstandingly well on the WC stage. He's a proven winner, and we know what we are getting. And what we are getting is a superior player to Manneh on most fronts. I still say Manneh has potential to be better, but right now, he needs to learn, and get stronger / fitter. He needs to become a better pro.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see our options this season. Can't wait. Maybe time to buy some tickets.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
See Dude Manneh needs a coach like me for two moths. Manneh is very fast with or wit out ball gets in to box area and than has a trouble to read the next play that would result in a 100% scoring chance. Robbo talks the talk yet his players don't walk the walk. That happens when coaches over coach. Robbo changes players hopping for better out come. He has almost killed coffee as a soccer player. When his team gets in to last third they are lost. Things happen only if the two mid-fielders do something. Mattacks is lost in the box as as his DP player. That's where the game is and any coach that makes it to third round of play-offs know how to teach that. Teaching by trying to be friend with a player does not work. The striker he got is thirty one years old. He is goods for ten fifteen games a year if. Only if one of those young guys works out like young Parker we have a chance. Prime age for strike is between 25 and 30 years old after that down hill. I hope he goes there and gets a twenty two year old with nose for goal cost is half ,young man can have long range in MLS.
Dude nthing new same old. We might do worse than last year if Robbo does not add smart right D and a guy with size to play with Coffee. Techera has skill but only for outside play on the pitch. Manneh by far the best they have Parker right after.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Techera gets far more stuck in and disrupts more attack against than Manneh, dare I say, ever will. But if he matures as a Pro, I don't care. Right now Manneh isn't close to the player Techera is. And BTW, his game is far from limited to the outside.

But you make some very good points on the cluelessness Manneh displays in the final 3rd.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What makes me mad, Reserves and Residency it means dick all if kids are never given a chance. There must be one good player a year coming out of Residency or what is the need. They are always looking for outside of our country players, to that's a backwards move. Give a kid ten minutes a game and in a year you will have player. No one cares more than local kids. If you have seen for most all the guys they drafted this year are much bigger players big plus in my opinion. I hope one of the kids drafted can do a good job on right D. That is one area where team needs bigger and stronger players.
Rest looks good. I think our DP player is not to top MLS standard I would move him and look for a guy in that spot. DP must score at least 15 to 20 goals or what is the use. There is not that much time before the start I hope Robbo makes two bigger moves. Bolanos can score but I am not sure if physical play of MLS will be for him.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with you to a certain point. I think this year should go a long way to showing us weather the Caps intend to give guys like Bustos, McKendry, and Froese a real shot. A good first step would be moving Mattocks and Hurtado out of the organization altogether. I don't understand all the weird MLS cap and contract issues, but from a pure team development standpoint, Mattocks and Hurtado are dead weight. But the other guys, I see as capable back-ups to Morales (Bustos), Koffie / Laba (McKendry) and either wing or as striker with Froese.

The big head sratcher for me this off season was Deybi Flores. The lone attributes I see out of him are his ability to cover a lot of ground, and his bite. But man, is he raw. It'd be interesting to see when he falls into the depth chart and Robos plans for him. The other question is Tiebert...there just doesn't appear to be room for him anymore, so you'd have to think a deal with Toronto and Montreal may be in the works. I don't know those teams and have no idea if there is a fit.

That said, this is exactly why they have the USL...these guys need quality minutes at a high enough level so as to keep them sharp. I think the rest of the USL guys get it, that their role in the organization is mainly to help that team be competitive, to play the system the manager demands, and provide playing time for the 1st team guys that aren't in the starting 11. There is no shame in that. It would be nice if every once in a while a guy got promoted, but it can't be forced. When the club has the opportunity to sign quality pros like Bolanos and Kudo, you need to take it.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't see us playing the diamond midfield at all with Manneh in there. His quality is to be wide and take guys on with pace on the wing. The diamon mid is more about lots of guys that are solid in the middle of the park and allowing your wingbacks to get forward as much as possible.

I also don't like the 4-1-4-1 concept with two real offensive minded players in front of Laba. (Someone's idea in Dudes link)
At least one of the two attacking mids needs to be a box to box guy to help Laba out, and I don't see Morales or Bolanos really grinding in the middle and getting back on the defensive end. Yes if we are searching for goals late, sure.

I do think Laba would be great as a holder on his own though, but he right mix of guys needs to be in there with him. Koffie is more of a box to box then morales and his injuries.

I see Manneh coming off the bench lots and destroying teams with his fresh legs in the 2nd half. That's how I would use him.
Have more the experienced footballers start.
Bolanos Riv and the bug. Up top.
Still having two real good subs off the bench up top in the new Asian and Manneh. Also depth if an injury happens.

I don't know what to do with the middle three.
Unless we go 4-4-2 with Laba and morales but I never ever saw morales work hard on the defensive end so that would scare me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0