Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see your point but this is the MLS . Its not there yet.

How many People would show up in Houston to see Seattle play Toronto?

It doesn't leave much time for Preparation and doesn't give it that event feel like a super bowl would

Obviously, the map of North America poses problems for Supporters. Who wants to travel across North America to watch their team play in a Cup Final ?? Well ...... real actual supporters maybe ??

I don't buy the 'it's not there yet' argument. The league is 10 years old and can look to major leagues around the globe as an example. Just feels bush league to me that one of the teams in the final gets a home field advantage.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
They use to do a neutral site before the Caps were in the league. I remember watching a final between Colorado and I think was Houston that was played in Toronto and the attendance was very poor. Looked awful. Toronto had good crowds for their games back then, both in numbers and in atmosphere, but they obviously were not to interested to sit in the rain to watch two other teams in a final. One of the TV guys was on the radio the other day and he also added that it makes league games throughout the season more meaningful if you can earn home field advantage. I agree and I like it. Now if we can just win the shield and the cup next year I'll be happy.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone find it strange that a 'Major Cup Final' is contested at the home of one of the teams ?? What the fcuk ever happened to a neutral venue ??

North America, vastly done this way. Only NFL and CFL do it differently, and they sell the venue.

I actually like it this way, gives motivation in a playoff driven league to win the league, for home pitch advantage.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
North America, vastly done this way. Only NFL and CFL do it differently, and they sell the venue.

I actually like it this way, gives motivation in a playoff driven league to win the league, for home pitch advantage.

A best of 7 series in MLB, the NHL or the NBA is significantly different than a one off Cup Final. Maybe I just watch too much Premiership & La Liga & think Cup Finals should always be played at a neutral venue - like any major football association on the planet.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, different, but the point about popularity is huge. Soccer just hasn't reached the same mass appeal here as it has everywhere else on the planet. And, again...this is one thing I like about North American leagues, the home field advantage.

To each their own.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, different, but the point about popularity is huge. Soccer just hasn't reached the same mass appeal here as it has everywhere else on the planet. And, again...this is one thing I like about North American leagues, the home field advantage.

To each their own.

Fair enough.

Toronto in August - shite.
Toronto in December - purgatory.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah but every major football association doesn't have to deal with the challenges that present themselves in North America. More than half the sports fans here look down on soccer as a game for pansies and divers and won't bother watch or give the game a chance. The fans that say they love the game can often be Euro or South American snobs that will not support the local team they have because it is not the best league. Other leagues have a history that goes back a 100 plus years, the MLS is 20 something years old and most of the time struggles to keep their head above water. Add to the fact that travelling to and from some cities in North America can be more expensive than a trip to Europe means it is not an easy sell to get 30,000 visiting fans.

The MLS does a lot of things wrong but this is not one of them. Perhaps one day they will do things the way they do it in Europe so EPL fans can accept them and go to a game and not feel they are above it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As STD points out, travel is huge. Think about going to TO for this match, or the Wednesday match. You are burning 2 full days at the very minimum, plus ~ $1K for flight alone, then hotel. If you do it right, it's $2K for business class (5 hours is a long time sitting in domestic coach, maybe I'm getting soft), 2 nights in downtown TO (Tuesday, Wednesday), an expensive night out Tuesday, an expensive night at the Soho, sleeping off a hangover when you really should be getting some work in, pre-match dinner and pints, match, post match celebration pints and finding an after-hours spot, somehow eventually getting to your hotel, waking up in a daze, packing up but forgetting a laptop, then finally a flight home in business, where you are passed out because you needed to take a double dose of Gravol just to get on the train.

You are Tuesday-Thursday, no work done, polluted, maybe having regrets, and ~$3500 poorer.

Not that I've done several trips to TO somewhat like that.

Yeah but every major football association doesn't have to deal with the challenges that present themselves in North America. More than half the sports fans here look down on soccer as a game for pansies and divers and won't bother watch or give the game a chance. The fans that say they love the game can often be Euro or South American snobs that will not support the local team they have because it is not the best league. Other leagues have a history that goes back a 100 plus years, the MLS is 20 something years old and most of the time struggles to keep their head above water. Add to the fact that travelling to and from some cities in North America can be more expensive than a trip to Europe means it is not an easy sell to get 30,000 visiting fans.

The MLS does a lot of things wrong but this is not one of them. Perhaps one day they will do things the way they do it in Europe so EPL fans can accept them and go to a game and not feel they are above it.

This is so true.

I have a good buddy from Toronto who was born in the UK, raised in Canada since 3, but dad was a Man U supporter. Thus, Nick is a Man U supporter. Grew up playing, now coaching as well. I asked him earlier this week is he was going to get tickets for the Wednesday match. "No buddy, I don't watch MLS."

The snobs missed out on one hell of a match, for no other reason than they are snobs. Nobody can tell me that wasn't a game worth watching. Great players, desperate play, drama...and yes Walks, the unique feature of good old cold Canadian weather!

Also, for me the MLS season does drag on too long, but I do admit, I actually quite like the home pitch advantage right now. Toronto in December = purgatory...fcuk yeah it does!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty good shout considering what a shambles the midfield is right now. Plus he likes Vancouver. Plus Vancouver likes him. Plus he's a leader. Plus we don't have those. Plus Regs has an unhealthy man crush..

All of these are good reasons to bring him back. I was sooooo wrong on that one.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Plus he has Canadian Permanent residency status and thus counts as a domestic player.

It's no fcuking brainer... unless you think he is going to move on to Europe (which I think is some of the reasoning apparently they unloaded him last year)...

Crazy-K

Feb 22, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Eduardo Da Silva

He's 33 years old just released by shaktar in Ukraine as contract is over it was an 18 month contract.

He was a former arsenal player but in 2007 season with arsenal his leg was broke. and took a long Time to recover. He played for Croatia international soccer team but is brazilian born. I think he would Be cheap to bring in.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure how you can say that so easily. There has been a lot of transactions in the Whitecaps MLS history to compete for such a honor. Overwhelmed by incompetence emoji, Jarju emoji, Rochat emoji, Lee nguyen emoji

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haha...true. That said, the release of Koffie coincides with the steep decline they had last year. Stands to reason the one-two punch he and Laba had going in the midfield was the reason our defense looked so good, because it allowed the wing backs to get forward, and Waston minimal amount of pressure and reason to think.

Now we know: put the big man under pressure, or make him think, and he'll take a red. Basically, with his demise, everything around him fell apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts