Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Indeed it is getting down to brass tacks in the FVSL. Coastal have become the first team to officially book their spot in the Provincial Cup as their win over Abby last weekend ensures that they can finish no lower that third place. The former North Delta boys will be returning to the competition after a two year hiatus while they tried to establish themselves in the VMSL following a semi-final appearance in the competition. Surrey United can book their spot this weekend as well with a win. Last season's finalists, Aldergrove, provided last placed Burnaby with their first win of the season and keeps the new boys faint hopes of avoiding immediate relegation back to Div. 1 alive, though they would need to practically run the table just to vault Chilliwack and finish in the relegation playoff place. This is of course assuming that the FVSL actually relegates anybody, it never is a guarantee...

In losing, Aldergrove all but precluded themselves from automatic qualification for the Provincial Cup. Last year's FVSL Champions have had quite the fall from grace after their impressive 16/17 campaign. They would need to win out and get some help in order to climb up to third place at the close of the league schedule. Langley looks the best bet to climb the table and assure themselves of a spot in the dance given that they have two games in hand on the field and they are against the bottom two in Chilliwack and Burnaby. The remaining teams will need to rely on the Cup competitions for qualification, or hope the Cup winners are from the top three finishing teams, which would cause the next highest finishing league teams to qualify.

Not sure why exactly the league is running two Cups this season given that they are both just straight knock out tournaments. The SC cup has usually been a group stage followed by semis and a final that took place throughout the season, but now it is just a single knock out with the eight UPL teams and top four from Div. 1, thus making it essentially just another version of the Pakenham Cup. I'm sure the teams on the outside of the Provincial places looking in will not turn down another chance at qualification, but running two knockout competitions ostensibly concurrently at the end of the season is a bit of a head scratcher. The league schedule wraps on the weekend of Feb. 10, with the prelim round for the Pakenham Cup not scheduled until the week of March 3. Presumably then the SC cup will be crammed in during the remainder of February, but let's say you are Aldergrove or Port Moody and you bottle it in the first round of the SC cup, you will then have to wait fully a month before playing in the Pak Cup. Best of luck staying sharp!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So Coastal win the massive six-pointer at the top 2-1 over Surrey Utd. and now control their fate in the title race as if they win their two remaining games they will be champions. Though already pretty much decided, Burnaby's immediate relegation back to Div. 1 was confirmed when they lost 3-2 to Chilliwack, the only team they had a chance to catch. Chilliwack themselves are all but assured to be playing in the relegation playoff against the second placed team in Division 1. As of right now that Port Moody Gunners B, so, presumably Chilliwack will just get to keep their place, however, Westcoast still has two games left to play. Those two games are against the bottom two teams and if they win both they will finish second and would get a chance to play for promotion....I think.

Aldergrove beat Abby moving them into fifth, which, if they can remain there, would give them a chance to make the Provincial Cup assuming either they or two of the teams ahead of them win the Cups. Coastal and Surrey are into Provincials for sure, but the third automatic spot is still up for grabs. Currently Port Moody occupy that place, but Langley has two games in hand. In the WTF move of the week, the league released the dates for cup play and they will be trying to run the Pakenham Cup and the SoccerCity cup concurrently. The only problem is they have Chilliwack being in two places at once, having to play in both competitions on the same weekend; well done!

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coastal 2-1 Surrey United

Needless to say an emotional night out in South Surrey on Saturday. Two games were being played most of the night, one on the field and one between the two benches. A little firey to say the least.

Surrey clearly came out with the intention that a draw was good enough and sat back most of the match making chances difficult to come by. First half there wasn’t much to speak of other then Surrey scoring mid way through the first half on a nice set piece cross and header finish.
We didn’t really have a true number 9 in the first and struggled to penetrate into their final third. They had their goal and we knew it was going to be a struggle for us to break them down.

Second half we made some changes and it swung the tie heavily in our direction. Surrey sat back and let us play into their half and with a proper target we began to get some chances. With about 25 left we scored a 30 yard half volley off the post and in. Something right out of the Stevie G hand book. At that point it was game on and as Surrey sat we pressed. With about 5 to go their centre back had his touch go off his shin pad and right to our striker who banged it in from 10 yards out. We just had to see out the game and got our win.

The win was deserved as we came to win carrying the play and they looked happy to draw. One of those really fun games to play in with lots of passion, tackles, moaning, sideline banter and the late winner to top it off. Not sure who was more exhausted the players or the coaches.

In the end all it does is put the league in our control but with two difficult games left. We haven’t won anything yet. Big league games, cups and provincials still to play. I know surrey is desperate to see us again.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coastal 2-1 Surrey United

Needless to say an emotional night out in South Surrey on Saturday. Two games were being played most of the night, one on the field and one between the two benches. A little firey to say the least.

Surrey clearly came out with the intention that a draw was good enough and sat back most of the match making chances difficult to come by. First half there wasn’t much to speak of other then Surrey scoring mid way through the first half on a nice set piece cross and header finish.
We didn’t really have a true number 9 in the first and struggled to penetrate into their final third. They had their goal and we knew it was going to be a struggle for us to break them down.

Second half we made some changes and it swung the tie heavily in our direction. Surrey sat back and let us play into their half and with a proper target we began to get some chances. With about 25 left we scored a 30 yard half volley off the post and in. Something right out of the Stevie G hand book. At that point it was game on and as Surrey sat we pressed. With about 5 to go their centre back had his touch go off his shin pad and right to our striker who banged it in from 10 yards out. We just had to see out the game and got our win.

The win was deserved as we came to win carrying the play and they looked happy to draw. One of those really fun games to play in with lots of passion, tackles, moaning, sideline banter and the late winner to top it off. Not sure who was more exhausted the players or the coaches.

In the end all it does is put the league in our control but with two difficult games left. We haven’t won anything yet. Big league games, cups and provincials still to play. I know surrey is desperate to see us again.

So you have been back for a year now....what do you think?

You guys have obviously added pieces, but safe to say you would not be top of the table in the VMSL prem division (this of course assumes you'd be in it, which you wouldn't have been due to demotion)...mid table? Low table? Struggling to stay up?

How about your squad? Happy overall with being back, or ???

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So you have been back for a year now....what do you think?

You guys have obviously added pieces, but safe to say you would not be top of the table in the VMSL prem division (this of course assumes you'd be in it, which you wouldn't have been due to demotion)...mid table? Low table? Struggling to stay up?

How about your squad? Happy overall with being back, or ???

I was very vocal about this when we left and the reality is winning is more fun. I’ve never been a person that needs to tell his friends he plays VMSL premier. The boys are happy and playing confidently, winning makes you believe you can beat anyone. When you start losing like we did it’s like a disease and it spreads. A lot of guys stopped believing in themselves.

Honestly 10 of our 11 starters are original players. We have added some good pieces and have youth players training which help bump the numbers. Really though it’s been health for most of the season, we’ve had a healthy competitive squad playing with confidence.

I’d definitely say we would stay up in the VMSL. It’s hard to say much more, we have the depth to do it. If we got an early foot hold and got results I believe this team could do very well, provincial spot maybe. But again, I’m very aware of what happened last year. Although we were crippled by injury, we lost confidence and the belief was gone. We are better suited for the Valley in my opinion.

deleted-dope

Not Bright
Jan 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m gonna weigh in even though I shouldn’t. Bulljive your Steven Gerard~esk goal I herd was nice. Now are you talking about the flight of the ball cause I’m pretty sure he kicks the ball with his eyes open, and hits the net from a holding dm role at a better rate of 1 for 834617. But I’m sure it was exactly like his. Makes you feel great when those go in. Good on ya.

I watch a lot of games as playing has lost its pull a bit. Delta (not a coastal fan) do have a good team no doubt. And play maybe the nicest brand in fvsl. They could do well in provincials when when one offs with top van teams can be accomplished. The weekly grind in van is a whole different beast though. No Chilliwack or Burnaby fire to beat up on with all teams work rate I’d say higher (on average) over Fvsl. I’d say they’d be a healthy 6th ish area in van. Dumping a fvsl team into van takes some getting used to as the work rate is higher and I think the overall talent level is just higher. They wouldn’t get relegated I’m sure.

One of the nicest posts I’ve made in years. Didn’t bash anyone. No swearing, I hope my spelling isn’t horrible, and I think everyone can read and not think im angry. But if you do then fcuk off K one swear is good. Delta v Langley. Should be a cracker.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One of the nicest posts I’ve made in years. Didn’t bash anyone. No swearing, I hope my spelling isn’t horrible, and I think everyone can read and not think im angry. But if you do then fcuk off K one swear is good. Delta v Langley. Should be a cracker.
:)

deleted-dope

Not Bright
Jan 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Went and watched langley delta. Good for the Delta boys congrats to them. Must be stoked for all those south surrey white rocks kids from coastal on the squad that got that cup win........ Oh there's only 1?....... So it is delta. Can we have that written on the trophy mills please. Delta wins premier and div 1 Congrats kids. No need to go anywhere..... Oh u did already. Still stumped.

Last edited:

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Went and watched langley delta. Good for the Delta boys congrats to them. Must be stoked for all those south surrey white rocks kids from coastal on the squad that got that cup win........ Oh there's only 1?....... So it is delta. Can we have that written on the trophy mills please. Delta wins premier and div 1 Congrats kids. No need to go anywhere..... Oh u did already. Still stumped.

To the VMSL!!!!!!

Wait.......

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looking forward to the Coastal / Delta derby next season.

I like the fairy tail of the old guys coming back, so @LION, you need to make that happen. :D Put yourself down for some time.

Fcuk me...I get exhausted watching the pace of a Premier match now. We honestly never ran that fast, did we?

-Congrats to new Coastal / old Delta. Sounds a bit like a perfect season, a couple of key signings, and talking w/ Lion, he loves the competition at training, having BCPL kids attend, etc.. One has to ask, if they had all this available last year, and health, if they'd still be in the VMSL Premiership, and who knows, maybe holding their own mid table. @dopeashell, I totally agree that the big difference isn't in the top of the tables, it's in the bottom halves, and the bottom half of the VMSL table will give the top half of the FVSL table a run.

-Shout out to my old buddy @utah and crew for pulling off a better second half and becoming more relevant in the division. Connor, for all the PTSD from last year, and I'm sure no lack of extra attention on the pitch, still sits second in Golden boot and will finish there. Not bad. Get into the Provincials, lads, and see how it goes!

-Another shout out to @lfc4 (Mike Wagner) and Langley, two games in hand and likely to take 3rd, stamping down another solid season, another Provincial spot, and honestly, since 2004, has any coach had more winning consistency? By my rough count at least 12 winning seasons of being over .500, and upwards of 120-130 wins. Maybe 11 or 12 Provincial births? In 2003, that squad had just moved up from 1. They (we, I transferred over that season) were in shambles that year just trying to avoid relegation. We did. The next two seasons saw a high table finish and Pak Cup win, then a Premiership Title. @utah was part of that, too. I retired myself to lower divisions after that before Wagner could do it for me. Most of the time he was a dick to play for, but he was demanding, pushed the right buttons, wore his heart on his sleeve (smacked me in the back of my head once and told me to wake up), and was constantly recruiting, trying to get younger and better. You knew where you stood with him. I know the FVSL does a lot of recognition to coaches and builders, at some point Wagner deserves his due.

Fcuk off, @lfc4, I still don't like you. ;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow.

I was chatting w/ our club TD on the drive down the S2S Sunday, and he says to me, "Have you ever heard of 'Take The Piss'"?

I laughed, and explained what he sees now today is not what it once was. There was a time when every team in (it seemed) every division had good representation on the site, and really good banter. Now, it's sadly all black and white, just match reports, or in the case of the Valley Premier, crickets.

#noonecares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0