Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 BC Mens Provincial B Cup - Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Cup that nobody cares about...or that some people care about but others think should be a weekend tournament...or that some people wouldn't go in if it was a weekend tournament...or that some people think means something but really it's not even worth mentioning in the same breath as the A Cup.

Well whatever it is, here is my preview/predictions for Round 1.

Standard Disclaimer:
For those not familiar with my column, I am largely just pulling this stuff out of thin air. I try to find whatever information is readily available online, but ultimately I am just trying to generate some interest in local soccer in BC. If I have omitted or overlooked facts that you consider relevant to your team or league, it's not done intentionally...get over it...;)

Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s B Keith Millar Provincial Cup
Preliminary Round:

Langley Sparta (FVSL) v West Coast (RASA)
It was a solid second place FVSL finish for Langley on the back of Golden Boot winner Shaun Patterson. They’ll host the third place team from Richmond’s Adult Soccer Association, West Coast FC. Not a ton to analyze in this one; Sparta are a veteran group and should see have enough to see off their challengers from below sea level, especially with a home draw.

Burnaby Gunners (BMSA) v 13th Legion (VMSL)
The VMSL upstarts had an unbelievably strong season, leading the way in the division into the final month of the season. Nobody had predicted much from the traditionally mid-table Legion lads, but they seemed, for a time, poised to compete for a League/Cup double. Alas, they faded down the stretch and lost in a Cup Semi-Final before running into fixture congestion that saw them unable to charge down Burnaby Metro Athletic, who had overtaken them in the league during their extended cup run. What kind of appetite will the Legion have for the B Cup? Will they want to continue to prove that their impressive form this season should not be taken as a mere perfect storm of circumstances? Or will they be thoroughly gutted by being so close to glory, before coming away with nothing at all? Their opponents are the plucky runners up from the Burnaby Men’s Soccer Association, led by leading goal scorer Michael Byrne. Despite strong opposition from a couple of BMSA teams, I think 13th Legion will fancy their chances of progressing to the Quarter Finals and having the chance to perhaps exorcise some demons against NorVan and Burnaby Metro.

Bacardi FC (BMSA) v Sarjevo FC (VMSL)
Sarajevo are pinch hitting for VMSL Cup Finalists, and their Division 1 relegation cousins, Shaheen who have opted out of the Provincial Cup after having won it back in 2011 when they were promoted to Division 1 of the VMSL. Neither Sarajevo nor Shaheen will be returning to Div. 1 next season, failing to achieve promotion at the first time of asking. Sarajevo may be here to make up the numbers, but they will fancy their draw against the BMSA’s fourth place finisher Bacardi FC. Bacardi FC too should arguably not be in the B Cup. Usually the fourth BMSA berth goes to the League Cup winner, but, due to the snow, the BMSA was unable to conclude that competition in time for Provincials. So it would appear that fate has chosen strange bedfellows in this fixture, drawing together two teams who, ostensibly, did not qualify for the tournament. Bacardi boast the Burnaby Men’s league’s joint top scorer in Jordan Marini and should pose a decent threat, but I’ll back Sarajevo to show their pedigree and advance from this one.

Fraser Valley Red Devils (FVSL) v Jugadores (RASA)
Both of these teams went right to the wire to qualify for this tournament. Fraser Valley needed a win on the last day of league play to guarantee their place via the FVSL Div. 2 standings after failing to beat their lower league cousins the “Blue Devils” in the Presidents Cup Final. Jugadores finished fourth in the RASA and were forced to confirm their place via a playoff against fifth placed Rain City. Clearly each team is comfortable with a “win or go home” environment, but Red Devils seem like the pluckier of the two having reached a cup final and playing important games down the stretch in the league. Couple all that with a home draw and I’ll back the FV crew to move on to the next round.

Gorge Utd. (VISL) v Langley Dynamo (FVSL)
This one projects out as a fairly even match up with, as usual, travel likely to play a part in the final outcome. The Dynamo lads are a veteran group with decent pedigree in the FVSL, but what sort of crew will they be able to muster for a trip to Gorge? If they can get a decent squad they will have to fancy their chances against a Gorge team that failed to qualify for the competition via the league table, but knicked a spot based on their Cup Final appearance. This one could definitely go either way, so get your coin out and give it a toss. I’ll tip home field advantage to make the difference here though.

FC Serbia Utd. (VMSL) v Richmond All Blacks (RASA)
Tough draw for All Blacks who won the RASA League Cup, tied for the League Championship and had the best goal difference in the league, but lost a Championship playoff to AC Richmond and, therefore, did not get seeded for the Provincial draw. Now they must play in the preliminary round with their reward, if they should emerge victorious, being a trip to Nanaimo. As a further bonus, they drew FC Serbia for their preliminary match who finished the VMSL season on a 4-0 tear to qualify for Provincials knocking off both cup finalists in Shaheen and NorVan plus Division Champions Burnaby Selects White Eagles. This one is the runner-up for Match of the Round and should be an absolute cracker. I think Serbia have every chance in the world to win this one, but I’ll take All Blacks based on their stellar RASA campaign their club’s pedigree as multi-time winners in this competition.

Gorge Us-Guys (VISL) v Vancouver Greencaps (VMSL)
Greencaps quietly finished the VMSL campaign very strongly after seemingly falling out of the title/promotion race early in the campaign. The VMSL’s Division 2B was a host of heavy hitters, but Greencaps will finish no worse than third after not really being counted too seriously as a championship contender among NorVan, Shaheen and White Eagles. The club seems to have regained the footing that it looked to have lost in recent campaigns that saw its billing as a “soon-to-be-Division-1” group downgraded to also-rans. With that in mind, they are no doubt quietly confident in their ability to overcome the travel factor and knock off a second place team in Gorge Us-Guys. They would do well to keep an eye on the VISL’s Division 3 joint leading goal scorers in Brendan Andrews and John Bakowski who both netted an impressive 17 times in 16 games. Gorge has the fire power and the home field advantage, so they have to be favourites in this one. I like the odds on a Greencaps upset, though not enough to pick them to win (travel is a major deterrent IMHO), but keep an eye on this one if you are looking for a match to take in on the Island this weekend.

Burnaby Selects White Eagles (VMSL) v Juan de Fuca (VISL)
At the bottom of the draw, we find the Match of the Round. A cruel fate saw these two teams drawn together in the Preliminary Round after both winning their respective divisions. Unfortunately, their cowinners from their sister divisions had higher point totals and, thus, received a seeded berth along with safe passage to the next round and the guaranteed home game that accompanies such a seeding. Instead, these two will have to duke it out in the early stages, though the winner will no doubt fancy the draw ahead of them to a potential Semi-Final. One major hurdle for Juan de Fuca is the fact that they were the final team to come out of the hat. Therefore, they will be forced to travel in each subsequent
round, should they progress. Travel, as I have mentioned previously, is so often a prohibitive factor in these competitions, though usually I would expect a first place team to be able to overcome this sort of hurdle. However, Juan de Fuca are travelling to play another first place team in Burnaby, so home field advantage should still hold significant weight here. White Eagles went 7-1-1 in the New Year to lock up the title and promotion to VMSL Division 1 next season and, with Juan de Fuca travelling, are the favourites in this one. Tough to lose a team of this calibre at this stage of the competition, but let’s hope this fixture lives up to its billing and whichever of these teams is eliminated goes down swinging.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fields etc. are supposed to be confirmed to BC Soccer by noon today. How soon the schedule is updated on line...who knows?

DeltaDodger

Nov 24, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
it is updated quickly once time and fields are sent in as i sent our masters info and it was updated within 10 minutes.

SoccerStud

Feb 28, 2017
Tokens
Dirty Money
My predictions:

Langley Sparta (FVSL)
v West Coast (RASA)
Burnaby Gunners (BMSA) v 13th Legion (VMSL)
Bacardi FC (BMSA) v Sarjevo FC (VMSL)
Fraser Valley Red Devils (FVSL) v Jugadores (RASA)
Gorge Utd. (VISL) v Langley Dynamo (FVSL)
FC Serbia Utd. (VMSL)
v Richmond All Blacks (RASA)
Gorge Us-Guys (VISL) v Vancouver Greencaps (VMSL)
Burnaby Selects White Eagles (VMSL)
v Juan de Fuca (VISL)

InanimateCarbonRod

Oct 5, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Canucks4Ever, way to kick this thread off in style! Entirely fabricated or not, nice write-up.

With the top divisions from some of the smaller leagues being entered in to the B-cup, they tend to have had the most success in this tournament. I don't believe a FVSL team has ever won the Keith Millar cup as there always seems to be a couple stud RASA or BMSL teams that have their way. I'm interested to see how teams like Sparta match up against a third place RASA squad to get a gauge for exactly where that divide occurs.

Good luck boys! And you'll never hear me complain about having an excuse for a soccer trip to the island.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like it was Serbia 4-3 over All Blacks last night as it would appear that the game lived up to its billing as a cracker.

Any chance of a match report?

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Cup that nobody cares about...or that some people care about but others think should be a weekend tournament...or that some people wouldn't go in if it was a weekend tournament...or that some people think means something but really it's not even worth mentioning in the same breath as the A Cup.

Let's not forget that the two finalists from last season finished 2 and 3 in div1 VMSL and one of them got promoted to Prem. ;)

With the most number of entrants in cup play and from various competitions in the lower mainland...the B-cup is an adventure to be a part of and fun to follow.

Of course the A cup is better quality. No one argues that. But I personally dislike the the distain a lot of people have for it. To play in a provincial cup setting after having a good season is reward for all levels of competition IMO.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Gunners 0 - 2 13th Legion

I went out to Burnaby Lake to catch the match between my summer league bros(Gunners) and a team I've been meaning to see play this season in the Legion.

The Legion looked lively and controlled proceedings for the first 15-20 mins. They seemed to get to the ball quicker, were hungrier and sharper. But with all of their pressure and possession, nothing really came of it in goal scoring chances. The gunners got back in to the game and had a decent spell for about 10mins but found it hard to play the counter against a very organized midfield and defensive line but on one occasion a chipped ball from the back got through to the gunners forward who under pressure sky'd the ball over the net. This must have woken up the Legion and they pressed heavily for the rest of the half. A free kick on the right side of the field and about 30 yards out gave way to the first goal of the game. A nice hard cross into the box was met by #10 who beat both the goalie and his defender to the ball to score on a header. #10 was a concern for the gunners through out and is a tremendous player. A couple minutes later, off a corner the aforementioned attacker got his head on to another ball but this time it was saved by the keeper. 1-0 going in to the half.

A couple changes at half for the gunners gave them a bit more possession of the ball and they had some good spells. I would dare to say that the gunners had more shots on goal in the game albeit from long range and not troubling the Legion's goaltender. However, he was called twice to make fine saves. One was a long ranger he fisted over the ball. The other was an in close shot that went through a few legs from about 10 yards out and he did well not to give up a rebound for a tap in. #10 got his second of the game at about the 70th minute. He made a nice horizontal run across the back line of the gunners to stay on side and put a shot in to the side netting from the left. A nice finish from my angle.

Numbers 10, 9, and 7 had strong games for the Legion. The gunners standout performer was #20.

InanimateCarbonRod

Oct 5, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Langley Dynamo 2 - 1 Gorge Utd.

It just wouldn't feel like Provincials without a roadie to the island!
Both teams came out with lots of energy in the first half as we tried to feel out the unfamiliar side. They had a couple of big bodies and a some skill in the middle and on the wings. Chances were exchanged as Gorge had a couple shots from the top of the box that our keeper collected and Dynamo rung two balls off posts and skyed an awkward deflected half volley over the bar from 6yrds.

The game broke open when our LM made a crossing run in to the box to collect a pass and was taken down. We slotted the PK away and went up 1-0. About 10min later, some hard work in the corner from our striker to beat his man and play a ball on the ground back to the top of the box where our #10 man hit it first-time in the back of the net. The half finished 2-0 Dynamo.

Predictably Gorge pressed hard in the 2nd half but we did well to keep them to the outside and tidy up anything thrown in to our box. With about 10 to play the home side finally got a break when a hard cross came in and was poorly cleared off a head sending the ball straight up in the air. The ball fell on the foot of their player to took a stab at the volley and put it side netting. All hands on deck for the final push as they sent 4 players forward looking to equalize but couldn't get the 2nd. 2-1 Final.

Enjoyed playing the Gorge side, good physical and clean game. And holy h#ll is it nice to play with linesmen! On two round 2 for a grudge match vs the Royals who we've had great battles with all year but edged us out both times.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Langley Dynamo 2 - 1 Gorge Utd.

It just wouldn't feel like Provincials without a roadie to the island!
Both teams came out with lots of energy in the first half as we tried to feel out the unfamiliar side. They had a couple of big bodies and a some skill in the middle and on the wings. Chances were exchanged as Gorge had a couple shots from the top of the box that our keeper collected and Dynamo rung two balls off posts and skyed an awkward deflected half volley over the bar from 6yrds.

The game broke open when our LM made a crossing run in to the box to collect a pass and was taken down. We slotted the PK away and went up 1-0. About 10min later, some hard work in the corner from our striker to beat his man and play a ball on the ground back to the top of the box where our #10 man hit it first-time in the back of the net. The half finished 2-0 Dynamo.

Predictably Gorge pressed hard in the 2nd half but we did well to keep them to the outside and tidy up anything thrown in to our box. With about 10 to play the home side finally got a break when a hard cross came in and was poorly cleared off a head sending the ball straight up in the air. The ball fell on the foot of their player to took a stab at the volley and put it side netting. All hands on deck for the final push as they sent 4 players forward looking to equalize but couldn't get the 2nd. 2-1 Final.

Enjoyed playing the Gorge side, good physical and clean game. And holy h#ll is it nice to play with linesmen! On two round 2 for a grudge match vs the Royals who we've had great battles with all year but edged us out both times.
At least this time you don't have the throw the game, as they've already been promoted :D

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Round of 16 predictions:

Norvan vs West Coast - Norvan because I'm biased towards the VMSL, haha. I actually don't much about West Coast.
Sierra vs 13th Legion - Very interesting match up. I watched the Legion play this weekend and they had a decent amount of possession against the 4th place team in Burnaby. Sierra ran away with the Burnaby league this year. Tough one but I'll go with the Legion as they are my dark horse pick this year.
Burnaby Metro vs Bacardi - On paper this one must go to Burnaby Metro having earned promotion in VMSL vs the 3rd place team in Burnaby but Bacardi on their day can surprise as they did this past weekend. They're a strong and physical team and I don't see any comparables in div.2 A. I'll say Burnaby Metro take it but not a routine victory at all.
AC Richmond vs FV Red Devils - I don't know much of either team
Poco FC Royals vs Langley UTD Dynamo - Can @InanimateCarbonRod and co finally get the better of their rivals? I'll say yes since he liked my earlier post. haha
Mid-Isle Mariners vs FC Serbia United - Serbia have the fire power and knocked off the always tournament-tough Richmond All Blacks. Will the travel be the equalizer in this match? We shall see.
Imperio Calcio vs Vancouver Greencaps - Quite possibly the tie of the round imo. This could be a fiery affair as the aggressive nature of the Greencaps might trigger their Italian counterparts who are known to be as tough as they are skilled. Imperio reached the semifinal last year in the competition and lost out to eventual winners Campo. The team with least amount of men sent off will win this one. :D
FV Blue Devils vs Burnaby Select White Eagles - I ran out of things to say. I met my quota.

Good luck!

Called "Baseless" for a reason...

All good. Keep em coming :)

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan v West Coast
Sierra v 13th Legion
Burnaby Metro vs Bacardi
AC Richmond vs FV Red Devils
Poco FC Royals vs Langley UTD Dynamo
Mid-Isle Mariners vs FC Serbia United
Imperio Calcio vs Vancouver Greencaps
FV Blue Devils vs Burnaby Select White Eagles

Home teams rule!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll chime in. For fun. Give me zeros last round:

Norvan vs West Coast - hate WC, so there.
Sierra vs 13th Legion- no idea,
Burnaby Metro vs Bacardi - Who wouldn't vote for rum, irresponsible, otherwise.
AC Richmond vs FV Red Devils - FVSL > RSL...though I think the reality is the RSL level in this case is closer to FVSL 1st, so...going w/ the heart on this. Plus, I think the RD have played in a lot of big games this year, so good winning habits. That said, all these teams have, otherwise they wouldn't be here.
Poco FC Royals vs Langley UTD Dynamo - Would love to see a lot of the old time Dynamo lift this trophy before moving onto Masters.
Mid-Isle Mariners vs FC Serbia United - "Serbia have the fire power and knocked off the always tournament-tough Richmond All Blacks". No doubt, the AB have always been very good.
Imperio Calcio vs Vancouver Greencaps
FV Blue Devils vs Burnaby Select White Eagles - FVSL > BMSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts