Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 BC Provincial Cup Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC Soccer hosted an emergency meeting last night that had the Leagues and BC Soccer Competitions Committee try to come up with an option that would better serve the members of BC Soccer.

Here are some key points:

1. The major Draw event at Fortius on April 3rd has been Cancelled.
2. All Draws for the Women’s Provincial Cups will take place on Monday April 3rd at the BC Soccer offices.
3. All Draws for the Men’s Provincial Cups will take place on Thursday April 13th at the BC Soccer offices. All teams must be declared to BC Soccer by 9:00am Thursday morning (April 13).
4. All categories of Men’s and Women’s Provincial Cups (except Women’s Classics) will begin play on the April 21 – 23 weekend.
5. May 13/14 – Provincial Cup finals for Women’s A, B, Classics & Men’s A, and U21. The semifinals for the Master’s and Men’s B will also be played this weekend at the same venue (Burnaby Lake West) UNLESS the home team is an Island team, and then this semi-final would be played on Vancouver Island.
6. The finals for the Men’s B and Masters Provincial Cup will be played on the May 27/28 weekend, date and location TBD.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bet if you asked the Classics to play their final this weekend and get it over with they would.
Pretty sure their 4 team league is done and they'd be happy to get it over with instead of waiting 2 months.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
A look ahead to how things are shaping up for this year's A Cup...

The VISL spots are all done and dusted. It was quite the week as already crowned Champions Cowichan lost to Bays Utd. who were desperate to get all three points in order to keep their Provincial hopes alive. This put the pressure on Vic West to come up with at least a point in their match against Cowichan or risk being left out of the dance. They got all three to book their ticket, so the pressure then fell on Gorge, who need a draw to make Bays boy's efforts all for nothing. Gorge lost to Nanaimo however, which means Bays United finish third on goal difference. So the entrants are:

Cowichan will be seeded as league winners.
Nanaimo have qualified by virtue of reaching the Jackson Cup Final.
Vic West qualify as league runners up
Bays Utd. qualify in third place (Cowichan have already qualified as league winners, therefore the spot they earned by reaching the Jackson cup final is given to the next highest finishing team)

The VMSL picture is taking shape. Baring an unlikely charge by Pacific Utd., there are 8 teams left chasing their 7 berths. Currently the magic number is 35 points, 34 points guarantees at least a play in game.

Coquitlam will be seeded as league winners.
Pegasus have qualified by virtue of reaching the Imperial Cup Final.
West Van on 35 points have qualified
Rovers Tigers on 34 points have 99% qualified
Croatia and Richmond, both on 32 points, require a win or an Inter loss to qualify
Westside currently sit seventh, four points up on Inter

The FVSL picture is somewhat more murky however. According to BC Soccer the 5 berths are 1, 2, 3 in the League and then their two Cup winners. The Packenham Cup will be settled this weekend, but the SC Cup still has 10 matches left to be played as a result of the snow. Not sure if there has been any word on this competition potentially being cancelled. As it stands:

Aldergrove will be seeded as league winners
Langley have qualified as league runners up (or potentially in third place if Abby win out)
Port Moody Gunners or Port Moody Rangers will qualify as Packenham Cup winners
Abbotsford, Westcoast, Surrey Utd. and Port Moody Gunners are all battling it out for the third league berth.
SC Cup winner...???

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I take it the emergency meeting was deemed necessary due to all the snow delays?

Getting in the SC Cup now must be an organizational nightmare for @knvb & crew. @knvb, any word on that?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Women's bracket's are drawn and posted:
https://adultprovincials.bcsoccer.net/schedule-results

Things are shaping up for the men's draw tomorrow:

Masters
VISL:
Saanich Fusion Old School
UVic Alumni
Cowichan 49ers
Gorge FC Backfit
Vic West FC

BMSA:
Roma FC
Europa FC
Howe Sound FC
Vikings FC

RASA:
Old Blacks
Nikola Tesla

FVSL:
North Delta SC Rangers
SFC Temple Utd.
Coastal FC
PMO Rangers
South Surrey FC
Delta Utd.

VMSL:
Coquitlam Metro Ford
West Van
ICSF Columbus
PCOV
Croatia
Westside
NorVan Lions (Div 1.)

U21
VISL:
Mid-Isle Mariners
Gorge FC
Prospect Lake Lakers

FVSL:
FC Barca
Westcoast Juventus
PMO Gunners

VMSL:
EDC FC
West Van
Pacific Utd.
Coquitlam Metro Ford
CCB Guildford
North Delta SC*

(*I believe that the VMSL split U-21 into two groups after the first round of fixtures and that only the higher finishing group of teams were able to qualify for the Provincial Cup)

Open B
VISL:
Mid-Isle Mariners
Gorge Us-Guys
Gorge Utd.
Juan de Fuca

BMSA:
Sierra FC
Burnaby Gunners
Impero Calcio
Bacardi FC

RASA:
All Blacks
AC Richmond
West Coast
Jugadores

FVSL:
Poco Royals
Langley Sparta
Langley Dynamo
PMO Titans/Fraser Valley Red Devils*
Fraser Valley Blue Devils

(*Fraser Valley Red Devils must win their final league game Wednesday night vs. Dynamo to qualify)

VMSL:
Burnaby Metro Athletic
Burnaby Selects White Eagles
NorVan Storm
Shaheen FC
13th Legion
Vancouver Greencaps
FC Serbia Utd.

Open A
VISL:
Cowichan FC
VicWest FC
Bays Utd. Liquor Plus
Nanaimo Utd.

FVSL:
Aldergrove Utd.
Langley Utd.
Abbotsford Utd.
PMO Rangers
PMO Gunners/Westcoast FC*

(*PMO Gunners can qualify by winning the SC Cup Wednesday night or, if necessary, via a playoff with Westcoast on Saturday)

VMSL:
Coquitlam Metro Ford
West Van FC
Rovers Tigers Utd.
Croatia SC
Pegasus FC
Club Inter
Westside FC/Richmond Hibernian*

(*Playoff for final Provincial Berth on Wednesday night)

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
They should try to have all the finals in all of the categories on the same day. I believe some are going to be later on. MEns A open is most entertaining thus should have been played last after all the other finals. Something like nations cup.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
They should try to have all the finals in all of the categories on the same day. I believe some are going to be later on. MEns A open is most entertaining thus should have been played last after all the other finals. Something like nations cup.

That's how it usually is...

Snow forced the schedule to be rejigged this year as the competition had to be pushed back.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard shaheen will withdraw. They can't field a team.

I believe it.

We withdrew one year because, frankly, B Provincials meant nothing to the group. A bunch of us determined our Premier days were done, and dropped down to Div. 2 to get our club's team back into div. 1. We did, but back then B Provincials fell in late spring, on a weekend, and most of the guys had already made family vacation plans. In previous years we were in A Cup, and that meant something. B cup was just another summer tourney we had no interest in. Promotion meant something, and that season we'd put everything into that, achieved it, and that was it.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe it.

We withdrew one year because, frankly, B Provincials meant nothing to the group. A bunch of us determined our Premier days were done, and dropped down to Div. 2 to get our club's team back into div. 1. We did, but back then B Provincials fell in late spring, on a weekend, and most of the guys had already made family vacation plans. In previous years we were in A Cup, and that meant something. B cup was just another summer tourney we had no interest in. Promotion meant something, and that season we'd put everything into that, achieved it, and that was it.

Looks like it's true.

Sarajevo are in, in place of Shaheen.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL, and that's the issue. The B cup is a nice tournament, but that's all it is. At least the A Cup has some serious prestige and prize at the end.

All the B cup winners get is a trophy that says they were the best in the province at a level that competes under the 1st and Premier divisions. Some will take it seriously, some will not, whereas everyone puts everything into the A Cup.

What is wrong with opening up the Imperial and Pak Cups (and whatever the Island has) to every team? Have it a mandatory Cup for P & 1st teams, but all others can enter? I recall it used to be that way, at least with the FVSL, where the 1st and 2nd div teams would compete in the preliminary round, then meet up in a draw vs. Premier squads in the 1st round? My memory is not serving me well on that....

I dunno...too much attention on lower level cups, where Promotion should be the goal.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back in my day the B cup was exactly that a summer tourney. We packed a bus, went up to PG and had a hell of a time. Not as good as Aldergrove, who had a goalie handed an 8 game suspension for taking a piss in the goal. Great to see from the beer garden. Is that why its not a 1 weekend tourney anymore?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@dutch13 - I think that's the tournament we skipped! I believe it was your squad and ours that won promotion that year. I do believe going to Prince George was a big reason we said fcuk it. Now, if that were a requirement as part of the A cup? No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts