Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Gold Cup

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcukem both then. Try again next time

100% agree on Larin. WJ, I have a bit of a different take...

Larin's demeanor on the pitch is that of an entitled star on the Canadian team, when the reality is he's done SFA to prove himself beyond the MLS level. DUI, and given the details of the DUI? Fcuk him. When / if he ever returns to the MNT fold, he needs to look closely in the mirror at how he carries himself, take a big bite of some humble pie, and come back a shamed and better person.

WJ...well, he's following a pattern of many a pro retiring from International play, trying to keep his professional career alive. All the Gold Cup is going to do for him right now is risk injury or gas him out, even if he performs at a high level. Neither are good for his professional career going forward (as opposed to Davies, who can put himself in the high end sale window with the way he's playing). No teams are looking to sign WJ to a big deal. MLS knows what he is now, and what he can contribute, which is great for him, but he needs to stay healthy. He can take the time off to recover and rest up for a long summer and finish to the MLS season.

he's paid his due to Canada, and performed quite well under less than ideal circumstances. The current generation of players is poised to bring the program out of the doldrums, but it's guys like Will that kept it alive and on life support for many years. I have no problem with him taking a step back, and opening up a spot for a younger player to step into.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
100% agree on Larin. WJ, I have a bit of a different take...

Larin's demeanor on the pitch is that of an entitled star on the Canadian team, when the reality is he's done SFA to prove himself beyond the MLS level. DUI, and given the details of the DUI? Fcuk him. When / if he ever returns to the MNT fold, he needs to look closely in the mirror at how he carries himself, take a big bite of some humble pie, and come back a shamed and better person.

WJ...well, he's following a pattern of many a pro retiring from International play, trying to keep his professional career alive. All the Gold Cup is going to do for him right now is risk injury or gas him out, even if he performs at a high level. Neither are good for his professional career going forward (as opposed to Davies, who can put himself in the high end sale window with the way he's playing). No teams are looking to sign WJ to a big deal. MLS knows what he is now, and what he can contribute, which is great for him, but he needs to stay healthy. He can take the time off to recover and rest up for a long summer and finish to the MLS season.

he's paid his due to Canada, and performed quite well under less than ideal circumstances. The current generation of players is poised to bring the program out of the doldrums, but it's guys like Will that kept it alive and on life support for many years. I have no problem with him taking a step back, and opening up a spot for a younger player to step into.

This was not my Issue. I dont think WJ should be able to Join Midway through the Tournament if they advance past the group stage. Let the squad that got them through continue uninterrupted with out a vet who declined a roster spot until after all the dirty work has been done.

That is where I'm coming from

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was not my Issue. I dont think WJ should be able to Join Midway through the Tournament if they advance past the group stage. Let the squad that got them through continue uninterrupted with out a vet who declined a roster spot until after all the dirty work has been done.

That is where I'm coming from

Disagree.

If WJ and the gaffer had an agreement that he may be possibly recalled if they make it past the group stage, and that agreement was that WJ would accept (assuming uninjured), then that's between the player and manager. I'm a fan of WJ. He comes through in clutch situations, and it's diabolical that the Caps didn't sign him when they had the chance, as they still don't have a box-to-box midfielder of his quality (not saying much). Oh, and he's a dick, and Canada needs a dick on the pitch who doesn't mind racking a set of multis along a guys calf when the officials aren't looking. He's done a lot for Canada, never complained, and was a good leader for the squad when there was barely a squad to lead. He's earned the right to some special treatment in this case.

Just being Devil's advocate, no offence. Besides, you are wrong again, and showing extreme stupidity in this instance. No disrespect intended.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Disagree.

If WJ and the gaffer had an agreement that he may be possibly recalled if they make it past the group stage, and that agreement was that WJ would accept (assuming uninjured), then that's between the player and manager. I'm a fan of WJ. He comes through in clutch situations, and it's diabolical that the Caps didn't sign him when they had the chance, as they still don't have a box-to-box midfielder of his quality (not saying much). Oh, and he's a dick, and Canada needs a dick on the pitch who doesn't mind racking a set of multis along a guys calf when the officials aren't looking. He's done a lot for Canada, never complained, and was a good leader for the squad when there was barely a squad to lead. He's earned the right to some special treatment in this case.

Just being Devil's advocate, no offence. Besides, you are wrong again, and showing extreme stupidity in this instance. No disrespect intended.

None taken.... Clearly a man crush of sorts showing here.. Maybe Canada not the only one that needs a dick?

And yes he has done alot. Being part of the worst era in our CMNT soccer history has earned him the right for special treatment and a bonus Ice cream cone.

:mooning:

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya I'm not sure where this hate is coming from...

It's standard practice for teams to add at the Gold Cup after the group stage. Last Gold Cup I'm pretty sure the USA had almost a brand new team for the knockout rounds (not that it did them any good losing to Jamaica in the semis). It's just Canada doesn't usually have any guys not already on the squad that would be worth adding. I'll take WJ over Piette any day.

Larin is a bit more of a dodgy one, kid definitely needs to give his head a shake. That being said he clearly has talent, even if he's never been able to perform for the MNT.

Point is, if we can add pieces why wouldn't we? Everybody else will be freshening up their squad. Of course this is only relevant if we advance to the knockout stage, otherwise this whole conversation is moot...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Larin:

How old is he?

The difference between him and the rest of us when we were that age is that he got caught when doing something stupid. That's it.

Any denial / argument past that is moot.

:foib:

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya I'm not sure where this hate is coming from...

It's standard practice for teams to add at the Gold Cup after the group stage. Last Gold Cup I'm pretty sure the USA had almost a brand new team for the knockout rounds (not that it did them any good losing to Jamaica in the semis). It's just Canada doesn't usually have any guys not already on the squad that would be worth adding. I'll take WJ over Piette any day.

Larin is a bit more of a dodgy one, kid definitely needs to give his head a shake. That being said he clearly has talent, even if he's never been able to perform for the MNT.

Point is, if we can add pieces why wouldn't we? Everybody else will be freshening up their squad. Of course this is only relevant if we advance to the knockout stage, otherwise this whole conversation is moot...

No Hate. Done with this crop and era. I have moved on

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Larin:
The difference between him and the rest of us when we were that age is that he got caught when doing something stupid. That's it.

Well we are also brothers from different mothers. So thats also a little different

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I liked how Cavallini played up top....but man he was hard on Davies when Davies didn't play the ball thru etc. He needs to remember the guy is only 16. He kept showing his frustration all game as well. He worked harder than Larin and had a good impact, but he just doesn't strike me as a team player mind you it was only one game so who knows but his body language was obvious.

Good first win hopefully keeper is okay and can start today after the eye injury.

Looking forward to the game. Arfield had a great game and Davies...well...16 and scoring goals like that the kid is fun to watch and great to have him playing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Larin:

How old is he?

Any denial / argument past that is moot.

:foib:

No, there are some big differences.

We weren't ever professionals. No, playing for Peg did not make you a pro. So, we don't know what you did or didn't get caught doing, you don't know what I did or didn't get caught doing, we know Larin got caught because he's a name, and the name made the press.

This does not give the no-names an excuse to be stupid, and let me be clear- I will own that I did some dumb things, and got extremely lucky not getting into a situation with serious consequences. Most of us can raise our hands on that, at the very least.

What I'm saying is he is in an entirely different situation as a well paid professional athlete, no different than the well paid young professional athletes of our era, when we were young. They got caught, paid the price. He's paying the price.

Beyond the DUI incident, I simply don't like and haven't liked his demeanor and body language when playing for the Nats, along with his work-rate. Seems he's playing pouty, and entitled. Yeah, just body language, but terrible body language.

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What else can we say about Davies? That finish was so poised...small fake w/ the right to freeze the keeper, instep clinical w/ the left.

I hope this kid doesn't last the summer in Vancouver, I hope a club throws out a stupid amount of money to rescue him, and he moves his family to said club's city, and starts living his dream. Until then, I'm going to try and go watch him as much as I can. Even if it means skipping a mountain bike ride, which I wasn't willing to do last night. Fcuk Vancouver, why do you have to be so beautiful?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0