Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Gold Cup

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Martinique getting pummeled by Panama ensure that Honduras progresses to the quarter finals having yet to score a goal in the tournament.

Got to feel for whoever doesn't advance between Martinique/El Salvador as Honduras on two points instead of four, thanks to the French Guinea/Florent Malouda debacle, would mean that they would both already be safely through on three points.

Good on Canada though, well in for qualifying on their own merit in second place.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looked like a different Canada team last night. First half they were on the gas, and unlucky not to have a couple.

Bent but didn't break in the 2nd to bring home the result the needed.

Thought de Jong had a very strong match and was involved going both ways. Really showed his experience.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I saw the game a bit differently... I thought we were beyond lucky to get a point - Honduras was the squad unlucky to not have a couple.

Canada had a 10 minute spell in the second half where they did unseen / unheard of things for our MNT stringing 10-15 passes in succession being patient and then springing for a grade A opp.

The rest of the game was Canada of old I thought.

Chalk it up to changes in the squad and maybe trying not to lose rather than trying to win.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL.

They were wearing red last night, but I'm pretty sure you're going to tell me they were wearing black.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Larin added to the roster for the knock-out round; only change to the Canada roster.

US make 6 changes including Howard, Bradley, Dempsey and Altidore.

Canada to play Jamaica Thursday I believe unless Mexico really bottle things against Curacao.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah it was the Canada of Old vs Honduras.

You know it when De Jong played up high. As much as they wouldn't say it, that lineup was put in for a draw.

Look for a much more attack minded lineup Thursday. Questin being, how do you get both Cavallini and Larin on the field at the same time? Or is Larin a sub who comes on in the 65th minute?

Good problem to have.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lineup as I see it

Borjan Keeper

Petrasso Right Back
Vittor/Jackovic CB
Adekube RB

Arfield Piette Osorio (possibly thought Osiro played well)

Hoilett Cavalinni Davies

Just a guess. Osorio may not get the start and they may go with a more pacey midfielder like Mark Anthony Kaye.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah it was the Canada of Old vs Honduras.

You know it when De Jong played up high. As much as they wouldn't say it, that lineup was put in for a draw.

Look for a much more attack minded lineup Thursday. Questin being, how do you get both Cavallini and Larin on the field at the same time? Or is Larin a sub who comes on in the 65th minute?

Good problem to have.

That first half? No. As easily as it could have been 1-0 or 2-0 Honduras, same could be said about Canada. Or actually 1-1 or 2-2. There were enough very good chances either way to produce any number of scorelines in that realm after the 1st.

They needed a draw. Canada of old would have coughed it up under pressure. Sure, they got lucky, but maybe the mindset is slowly changing.

Yeah, DeJong in front of Sam was obviously there to lock down the left. More experience. I did think with 10 to go he looked done, still think he had a very good match. I have no love or hate for DeJong, so I kinda call it how I see it on a match-to-match basis. Unlike my dislike for Larin, he has to have a huge match to get any praise from me, and it has nothing to do w/ his DUI.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree, Larin really has not really done a lot for Canada, and I think Cavallini has played much better than Larin has so far in the games I have seen. Cavallini deserves the start.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree re Larin's poor performances at the National Team level. I can still see the sitter he blasted over at the last Gold Cup. He bundled that one in against El Salvador at BC Place in WC Qualifying, but that's really it.

I can't see him going straight into the side, but coming in late in the game as a sub would be a nice addition. Who knows, maybe being on the bench might light a bit of fire under him...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree re Larin's poor performances at the National Team level. I can still see the sitter he blasted over at the last Gold Cup. He bundled that one in against El Salvador at BC Place in WC Qualifying, but that's really it.

I can't see him going straight into the side, but coming in late in the game as a sub would be a nice addition. Who knows, maybe being on the bench might light a bit of fire under him...

That's it?

Nope. I'd have to go through the threads and refresh my memory, but I have not seen one match where he came close to living up to his billing. Plus, can't stand his sulky demeanor on the pitch. Maybe it's just me, but body language counts for a lot.

On that front, Cavallini to start, 100%. Yes, Larin as your 25 minute guy.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada played ok against Honduras, espicially looking at the opponent plus the players Canada put out. I still dont like how Cavallini always puts his hands up after Davies makes mistake. Reminds me of that Scottish guy that played for Whitecaps? Besides, Cavallini himself is an average player at best. Still one thing I do like is that they are going forward and putting players in the box. We are competing at the GOld Cup and that is good building block going forward.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada played ok against Honduras, espicially looking at the opponent plus the players Canada put out. I still dont like how Cavallini always puts his hands up after Davies makes mistake. Reminds me of that Scottish guy that played for Whitecaps? Besides, Cavallini himself is an average player at best. Still one thing I do like is that they are going forward and putting players in the box. We are competing at the GOld Cup and that is good building block going forward.

Speaking of body language...

That was Robson. I didn't quite understand till I saw him live, what a wanker. With him it wasn't just one player, it was ALL the players, except Kenny Miller. I bet nobody in the room liked him. Cavallini...his effort seems quite a bit higher than Larin's, and he's not terrible on the ball, either. Seems to be a smart hold-up man, knows his role as a lone striker, and causes problems.

As for the gestures, hopefully someone on the squad can get in his ear about that. Optics are everything when all the cameras are on you. I don't like it either, but in the discussion of him or Larin right now...him.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah was funny how much Cavallini was on Davies case. Any little mistake and the hands went up. Davies then went and scored two goals.:D

forest1979

Apr 26, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
just watched the USA v ES game....got to say our ref had a bad one. he may well struggle for future games at MLS certainly international games.to miss someone putting there foot in when a defender clears the ball is just not excusable.....he never seemed to be in control.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0