Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The way Bolanos has played so far this year...don't think he'll be that big a miss.
Can't disagree more. His play- especially in the middle- has been a huge calming influence on the squad and his change of pace and vision have been one of the keys to opening up the attack. Subtract Manneh, more Bolo, better squad.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Any feedback out there regarding Academy players that have been in the program for a while, after being released at the end of their youth program?
I would be interested to know if they bring any added value to the local teams that they join.
There must be about 20 academy players released every year, for the past 15 years at least.
That's a lot of players that have been exposed to "professional training".
Are they better than other players that haven't had the coaching from "the pro's"?
Do they need time to adjust to the local game? Where it might not be as technical.
It's something I've wondered about for a while.
Your comments will be appreciated.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm more interested in your feedback, TBH.

I walked onto my college team back in the day (BCIT), and I was one of the few who wasn't involved in the Provincial program at the time and had real bios. In the end, for me, playing was playing, and I was able to out-perform other players that showed up with more formal training, and more of a resume. I'd come to the program after taking grade 11 & 12 off footy to recover from a bag leg break. I guess I passed the eyeball test in preseason evaluations and the friendlies / tournaments we entered to prep for the season. We had something like 60 players that season ('94) at preseason, I think coach carried 18 for the season.

Times have definitely changed, and way more high performance training out there.

The Rovers seem stacked w/ former WCF academy players, and others who'd had formal training somewhere. @GoF, interested in your take.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm more interested in your feedback, TBH.

I walked onto my college team back in the day (BCIT), and I was one of the few who wasn't involved in the Provincial program at the time and had real bios. In the end, for me, playing was playing, and I was able to out-perform other players that showed up with more formal training, and more of a resume. I'd come to the program after taking grade 11 & 12 off footy to recover from a bag leg break. I guess I passed the eyeball test in preseason evaluations and the friendlies / tournaments we entered to prep for the season. We had something like 60 players that season ('94) at preseason, I think coach carried 18 for the season.

Times have definitely changed, and way more high performance training out there.

The Rovers seem stacked w/ former WCF academy players, and others who'd had formal training somewhere.

I don't get to see as many senior games since I retired.
I'm just wondering how to measure the academy programs.
I always measured my success as a coach by how many players I helped to move on to a higher level, whether it be to a Provincial Team or a National Team, or into the first team at a pro club. Either in North America, or in Europe.
I don't see many players coming out of the academies these days playing in their respective 1st. Teams, or on the National Teams, in fact if appears that we have less representation on the National Team Program from BC than ever before.
I don't hear of many going to play in Europe, I might be wrong.
So the question is: "Are these academies producing players"?
Why are we not getting more playing in the MLS?
Are there players going to the NASL & USL from academies?

I was in England recently at St. George's Park, the England training centre.
The discussion came up about academies in the U.K.
Interestingly, listening to ex pro's comments, it was obvious that they thought academies are failing to produce the amount of players expected.
The main reason was that they only play against players their own age & level.
They talked about how in older days, the better players played in "The Central League" or the reserve league, where some of the players were experienced pro's coming off an injury, or some experienced players out of form & not in the 1s. Team.
Playing against men was the best way to develop & show that they are ready for 1st. Team selection.
Lots of clubs now are "loaning out players" to clubs in the lower leagues to gain valuable experience.
Harry Kane went to play at Millwall & says it was a massive step in him being ready to play in the Premier League.
Players at our academies don't have that luxury, to gain playing time at senior level & the jump to the 1st. Team is too high.
I am aware that some will go to play for the Whitecaps 2 team.
But, will that be enough to get them the chance to step up to the MLS Team?

I'm interested in finding out how a lot of players from their final year at academies adapt to playing in the Men's Senior Leagues.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sorry if I messed up this post. I did it on my Ipad & it's not the same as my computer.
I'll have to get my 7 year old Grandson to help me. LOL.

I always measured my success as a coach by how many players I helped to move on to a higher level, whether it be to a Provincial Team or a National Team, or into the first team at a pro club. Either in North America, or in Europe.
I don't see many players coming out of the academies these days playing in their respective 1st. Teams, or on the National Teams, in fact if appears that we have less representation on the National Team Program from BC than ever before.

Interestingly, listening to ex pro's comments, it was obvious that they thought academies are failing to produce the amount of players expected.
They talked about how in older days, the better players played in "The Central League" or the reserve league, where some of the players were experienced pro's coming off an injury, or some experienced players out of form & not in the 1st. Team.
Playing against men was the best way to develop & show that they are ready for 1st. Team selection.
Lots of clubs now are "loaning out players" to clubs in the lower leagues to gain valuable experience.
Harry Kane went to play at Millwall & says it was a massive step in him being ready to play in the Premier League.
Players at our academies don't have that luxury, to gain playing time at senior level & the jump to the 1st. Team is too high.

I'm interested in finding out how a lot of players from their final year at academies adapt to playing in the Men's Senior Leagues.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think a few of them are moving on to universities, but no different than the HPL players I guess.

For example, I saw today in the Province that Joel Harrison is going to Michigan next year and he's a bloody good player IMHO.

The other player I know, who the Caps couldn't keep as I've said here before, is Dario Zanatta.
He's at Hearts and I believe capped at the Youth and U-18/19/20 levels.
Funny though I see he's been loaned out to Queens Park FC, which ties right into what you're saying Jigsaw.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Would love to see it because I really like him as a player in the past (oozes class) but... he's 35 now! 35!

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was thinking the same thing, great player but it's a lot of money for a 35 year old. Probably be good for Davies though to have a Canadian Mentor that had some success in Europe.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry if I messed up this post. I did it on my Ipad & it's not the same as my computer.
I'll have to get my 7 year old Grandson to help me. LOL.

They talked about how in older days, the better players played in "The Central League" or the reserve league, where some of the players were experienced pro's coming off an injury, or some experienced players out of form & not in the 1st. Team.

According to https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency:

More than 40 Whitecaps FC Residency players have been called into Canadian youth and senior national teams since January 2016.

Looking at the current VWFC2 Roster and almost ALL local players on that squad are Residency graduates... one exception would be Mark Village who despite dodgy coaching @ UFV managed to overcome all odds and make a go of it without drinking the Residency kool-Aid.

:)

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Take that Jigsaw lol.

Zlatan is 35 - Would you take him before he blew out his knee?

That, and the MLS continues to take in other over the hill players with big contracts so why not one of our own?

Agreed, he'd also be a fantastic mentor.

I think he's got a lot in him still, he's the best Canadian by a country mile, and I would LOVE to see him in a Caps jersey.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Take that Jigsaw lol.

Zlatan is 35 - Would you take him before he blew out his knee?

That, and the MLS continues to take in other over the hill players with big contracts so why not one of our own?

Agreed, he'd also be a fantastic mentor.

I think he's got a lot in him still, he's the best Canadian by a country mile, and I would LOVE to see him in a Caps jersey.

I would sign Atiba.
Quality player.
Good professional.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
According to https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency:

More than 40 Whitecaps FC Residency players have been called into Canadian youth and senior national teams since January 2016.

Looking at the current VWFC2 Roster and almost ALL local players on that squad are Residency graduates... one exception would be Mark Village who despite dodgy coaching @ UFV managed to overcome all odds and make a go of it without drinking the Residency kool-Aid.

:)
How many of that 40 are actually from BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0