Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...heanon-williams-stayed-by-the-crown-1.4168315

Seems quick to drop/stay charges, no?

Maybe the alleged assault was on the bike rack that did in NRC a couple of years ago :)

it is quick, but keep in mind that the police arrest and recommend charges; the Crown ultimately makes the decision, at least here in BC. Sounds like the police forwarded a pile of shite, and the Crown knifed it before it grew legs. Just speculating, but that's my best guess.

Spousals are funny animals. By and large, women (99% of complainants are female) fall into two categories.

The first category call the police once... then they realize what a bloody nightmare it is dealing with the consequences, and conclude that keeping the cork in the bottle is a whole lot easier than trying to put it back in... and so they never, ever report another incident... Tragically, that line of thinking costs someone their life every now and again...

At the other extreme, you have the women who watch what happens and think to themselves "really... so if I call the cops and say he did something, they'll come and cart him away and I'll have some peace and quiet... hmm... you don't say"...

They're labour intensive and prone to fcukery, but the problem is that one out of a hundred involves a guy who will eventually kill his partner if there isn't a real intervention... the challenge is identifying that one from the other 99 who just need a smack on the head and a cold shower...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it very cowardly of the club and player for not addressing this properly in the media.

If the guy got himself nice and drunk, and either tore the house apart without hitting his wife, or worse, hit his wife, there needs to be an explanation and action. If it's the first, explain and tell the supporters you are getting help for an anger management issue or drinking issue. If it's the later, come clean, tell us you are working on it with your wife, etc. Either way, the media silence is just cheap.

Personally, I don't want a guy who smacks his wife or kids around playing on the team I support. I understand there are likely union issues blocking a straight-up release, but if indeed he struck his wife, I want him out of the club. I don't care how well he's shored up his side.

So....just another chapter in a long list of reasons why I'm becoming disenchanted with the club. CPL can't arrive soon enough.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
....Atiba has a rep as a physical freak of nature. At 35 still the durability and abilities of a 28 year old. He'd slay MLS. The man is a machine, and if you only get 2/3 productive years out of him, I'm fine with that.

Also, club could use a good injection of character right now.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it very cowardly of the club and player for not addressing this properly in the media.

If the guy got himself nice and drunk, and either tore the house apart without hitting his wife, or worse, hit his wife, there needs to be an explanation and action. If it's the first, explain and tell the supporters you are getting help for an anger management issue or drinking issue. If it's the later, come clean, tell us you are working on it with your wife, etc. Either way, the media silence is just cheap.

Personally, I don't want a guy who smacks his wife or kids around playing on the team I support. I understand there are likely union issues blocking a straight-up release, but if indeed he struck his wife, I want him out of the club. I don't care how well he's shored up his side.

So....just another chapter in a long list of reasons why I'm becoming disenchanted with the club. CPL can't arrive soon enough.

charges stayed, and so quickly, would be a very good example of why it's unwise and unfair to proceed as if he's guilty until proven innocent... defamation, wrongful dismissal... you open yourself up to a whole host of issues, not to mention the fact that such an approach doesn't exactly rocket you to the top of the "desired places to play" list...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly. Let the playing surface and announced crowds of 22,000 make up for the concept that wife beaters aren't welcome in the club.

fcuk me....always nice to have a lawyer on your side, but there are some things that can't be lawyered out. If players really shy away from Vancouver because the club and supporters frown on employing guys that smack around their wives, welll.....I think I can live with that.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL, no doubt. My thoughts exactly when I read that, though again, we don't know the exact circumstances.
I now feel bad, because I think we've all pulled "The Impossible sit-up" plank on someone before, and I directed my kid to a Youtube, and he then went and pulled the prank on one of his cycling teammates while on a road trip. Is he guilty of sexual assault, now? Am I guilty of raising a bully?
Not everyone has pulled that prank, and yes it tends to be bullies who pull the prank and they choose to do it to individuals who are afraid to physically retaliate. There are many safe ways to have fun and still be respectful of others.
There are too many star athletes in the world (US football players are the worst) who have gotten away with assaults and criminal actions against their wives and colleagues, and their bad behaviour was learned at an early age.
We have even a President who bragged about physically manhandling younger women and got away with it because in his own words, you can do that kind of stuff if you are famous. These kinds of behaviours need to change.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not everyone has pulled that prank, and yes it tends to be bullies who pull the prank and they choose to do it to individuals who are afraid to physically retaliate. There are many safe ways to have fun and still be respectful of others.
There are too many star athletes in the world (US football players are the worst) who have gotten away with assaults and criminal actions against their wives and colleagues, and their bad behaviour was learned at an early age.
We have even a President who bragged about physically manhandling younger women and got away with it because in his own words, you can do that kind of stuff if you are famous. These kinds of behaviours need to change.

I will say this first...this: "These kinds of behaviours need to change.", I 100% agree with.

Now, locker room pranks, it's definitely a slippery slope when it comes to this stuff, can get way outta hand fast. I am happy to say that every time I've been on the receiving or giving end of a prank, it's been nothing but laughter, with a little humiliation, mixed in. But I think I've been involved with some great teammates. We always chose to do it on overconfident- and maybe the more gullible- teammates. Not timid players. Thus, probably why I had something like that pulled on me. No shame here, I was duped.

The crudeness of the impossible sit-up is just that, but it's a silly prank. The answer is a definite "No", my kid is not a bully. Maybe I'm a dumb dad for encouraging crude behavior, but the kids is just like a lot of us, a great teammate to his friends, will and has answered the bell, and not above both having pranks pulled on him, and he being on the giving end. Boys being boys, just like most of us were.

But, again, BUT...I do agree with you. Slowly we are all growing up.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm never growing up.

Robbo saying Atiba's expensive.
Uh, yeah, he is.
We want to win it all mate so buck up.

Robbo shouldn't be making those comments and worrying about the financial side.Not his department. Robbo Concentrate on coaching. Steve Nash has a net worth close to 100 million. Buck Up!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Steve Nash would rather contribute to the Spurs cause than the Caps :eek:

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly. Let the playing surface and announced crowds of 22,000 make up for the concept that wife beaters aren't welcome in the club.

fcuk me....always nice to have a lawyer on your side, but there are some things that can't be lawyered out. If players really shy away from Vancouver because the club and supporters frown on employing guys that smack around their wives, welll.....I think I can live with that.

You're missing the point - it's very well possible that she just wanted him out of the damn house and turned a verbal spat into something else... I have zero idea what happened in the Williams case, but that type of thing can and does happen.

As a pro athlete, I'd like to think that my club had my back, at least to the extent of "innocent until proven guilty"...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're missing the point - it's very well possible that she just wanted him out of the damn house and turned a verbal spat into something else... I have zero idea what happened in the Williams case, but that type of thing can and does happen.

As a pro athlete, I'd like to think that my club had my back, at least to the extent of "innocent until proven guilty"...

Ummmm...I don't think it's me missing the point. Take your lawyer hat off and look at this like a reasonable person.

The facts are now all covered up. So we'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0