Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the Caps Can Clinch 1st and a bye with a win Sunday Over San Jose. I understand the lack of excitement around here and the city. Its a more Intimate affair I guess just like the Caps drew it up. @STD will you be at the match?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes I am bringing my son. I think this may be his forth game this year and they haven't won one of them yet. If they don't win this time he's no longer allowed to go. #lifelessons

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Such a shitty league and standard.

Here's what is going to happen:

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Vancouver
4. KC

The only reason Vancouver doesn't drop further is due to KC being more smoke and mirrors than they are.

So Vancouver misses the first round bye and will face San Jose.

Guess who moves on to the next round?

Shite, shite, shite.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Clearly it is my son's fault and I told him that on the way home. I also told him not to have high expectations when it come to reading and writing English.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Vancouver
4. KC

The only reason Vancouver doesn't drop further is due to KC being more smoke and mirrors than they are.

Shite, shite, shite.

So why to you care?

It's not like you didn't know the league or standard when they first came into MLS. Personally, I find it hard to fall out of love for the team simply because they are my home team. besides the standard and league- which you knew were shite coming in- what has happened to change you from being a supporter to non supporter? Curious more than anything. I can give a long list of reasons that have driven me away, yet I keep coming back...and the standard just isn't one of them. It's what we have and it's the best we have, and all we can hope is that year-over-year it improves...which it has.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's what we have and it's the best we have, and all we can hope is that year-over-year it improves...which it has.
At some point I said WTF because IMO it isn't good enough and it hasn't improved.

Smoke and Mirrors.

I suggest the standard was better with the 86ers and the CSL.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smoke and mirrors is that answer.

The MLS product has for sure, overall, gotten better. There is no doubt about that, you are the only person that I have heard of that feels it's actually not improved in the time the Caps came into MLS.

As to the 86ers, I am a believer that the standard then was actually very high, but what could we compare it to? At their best, they were considered one of the best professional teams in North America, in a time when the professional level didn't pay well at all...so...apples to apples? I really don't know, can't say.

I do know this, Eric Hurtado would not have been signed to pollish the old 86ers boots, that's for damn sure. How he still has a job boggles the mind. As often as we've said over the years "So and so from the VMSL is a better player than so and so from the Caps, it's actually true w/ Hurtado. I don't get it.

However....

I just don't get what good it does to shite all over the product when the reality is that it is the best we have in North America. If you are going to shite on the Caps for their poor development record, specifically poor development record of Canadians, then I'm all on board...but the standard itself? Compared to what? Fcuk, have you watched the SPL lately? I can't imagine that the proposed CPL will be equal to MLS, never mind higher. Are you going to shite on that, too, because it isn't whatever you feel it needs to be?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The MLS product has for sure, overall, gotten better. There is no doubt about that, you are the only person that I have heard of that feels it's actually not improved in the time the Caps came into MLS.
This current Caps team is currently sitting in first place in the Western Conference.

They are a mediocre team at best, and that is being kind.

Yeah, league standard is soooooo high :rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I "forgot" my roll-eyes, but I get it, this is the new Regs.

Well, you never really did give a comparison in terms of where you feel it is equivalent to, and what you expect. Same w/ the 86ers comment, compared to what?

If you tell me you don't like the Caps due to their approach to development, their shitty marketing effort, shitty community building effort, because of Lenarduzzi, then great, I get it, and for the most part, I'm on board. I'm one CPL team away from hopefully changing my hometown allegiance. But, fcuk me, if you are looking for a super high standard, then may as well not even bother following this, the CPL (when it arrives), or the Canadian National team for that matter. I just don't know what you actually expect, because your post is just another dirty bomb thread killer you've decided to drop.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Damn. Smarter then you look. @Dude the only thing he didn't predict was that Hurtado had better then you today.

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Vancouver

Shite, shite, shite.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a hard argument as I kind of agree with both of you. The CPL for me is a lot more exciting. Some local players, hopefully a good fun community atmosphere. A little more like the WHL teams are in towns like Medicine Hat and Lethbridge where the community connects with the team. I recognize the level won't be as high as the MLS but maybe it will be easier to want to get behind. Especially if they have a surrey team.

I've tried to be a Caps fan over and over again. My grandparents had whitecaps season tickets and they were passed down to me when they were at Swangard. I still remember my grandpa taking me to games and then my wife and I used to go and she's not even a big soccer fan.
We really enjoyed those evenings at Swangard. The standard maybe wasn't as high but there were local players playing and it was enjoyable.

This version of the Whitecaps is very difficult to support, it's more of a business. More about results and less about bringing in Canadians and developing our own players. I get that but sorry the standard is shite. What am I getting behind here? Players from around the world who are playing mediocre soccer in Vancouver. Yes I get that it's the best we have but I'm sure as shite not excited to head into Vancouver from cloverdale to watch it. I've done it many times and it's never worth it. I still watch the games but almost out of obligation because it seems like I should.

I see where you are coming from Dude but deep down I lean towards how Regs feels. Maybe for different reasons, I'm not sure. I do feel like Regs needs a hug and has seemed a litter disgruntled lately. For me Regs has done a lot for local soccer despite what some might say. This website has been an extension of my men's soccer experience. I'm appreciative of that, even though I'm a cheap cnut and probably should buy a lifetime membership. I wish this generation coming thru would get into it as I believe it's a big addition to the culture of the local game. Sorry twitter doesn't match that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0