Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brek Shea is useless.

Yeah Saw it live. He's best as a sub from 75 minutes on. If beers weren't 11.00 I could occasionally put up with him for a full 90.

Is it just me or was Brek a Disney character in a past life?

Doppelganger??

latest

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure how with Reyna and Techera out Davies doesn't draw into the game day line up, let alone starting. The only offensive threat we had was Montero, any time we had the ball looking for the long ball (lets be honest thats all we've been successful at playing) there were no options. Brek always in the right vicinity, never the right place. Thought Bolanos was slow. Centre mids were fine, but played as 3 defensive centre mids.

Robbo has set it up with a "good" result going into Seattle where a "tough 1-0 loss, but the lads played hard, we were just unlucky" will be where our season ends.

Also - with the flopping and screeching by Lodero, someone should have made one count.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
He can for sure pass and keep possession.

Reyna was terrible. He gave nothing. Montero was on his own island. I feel we were just too small. Look at our front 4. 3 mini mites and bolanos in 3rd gear. It's just not enough to win in these matches.

Hurtado over Reyna at the 60th. Or Shea.

How we didn't change shape and get a target up top for the last 25-30 is crazy. We are down a goal and didn't show much push.

Hurtado and Mezquida would have given us more as a 10 and 9.
Reyna had 1.5 electric matches and he gets a free pass from the fans. He has done nothing since.

Both our 6 and 8 are ball breakers but not line breakers. I don't think I have seen Techera ever beat a player one vs one on the wing. Let alone Bolanos doesn't go at guys. If your wingers can't beat a wingback at times you are in trouble. Yes they can get a cross off at times. But no real threat on the switch ball. If we ever even played one.

Frustrating two legs to watch. We had nothing.

off the post

Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
He can for sure pass and keep possession.
Hurtado wasn't on the bench!
Reyna was terrible. He gave nothing. Montero was on his own island. I feel we were just too small. Look at our front 4. 3 mini mites and bolanos in 3rd gear. It's just not enough to win in these matches.

Hurtado over Reyna at the 60th. Or Shea.

How we didn't change shape and get a target up top for the last 25-30 is crazy. We are down a goal and didn't show much push.

Hurtado and Mezquida would have given us more as a 10 and 9.
Reyna had 1.5 electric matches and he gets a free pass from the fans. He has done nothing since.

Both our 6 and 8 are ball breakers but not line breakers. I don't think I have seen Techera ever beat a player one vs one on the wing. Let alone Bolanos doesn't go at guys. If your wingers can't beat a wingback at times you are in trouble. Yes they can get a cross off at times. But no real threat on the switch ball. If we ever even played one.

Frustrating two legs to watch. We had nothing.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
1 shot on Target in 180 minutes. Call me when ownership opens their wallets and signs a real DP. They've spent more money on Jay Demerit speakers then they have on a quality footballer.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know what I feel? Their failure to lock down 1st or 2nd in the last month did them in. The last thing they needed was 3 matches in 8 days, they were gassed.

I honestly believe had the Caps sewn it up and Seattle were forced to play 3 in 8, we'd be on the right side of the scores. The players you mention as starters had some very good matches in the last 1/2 of the year, so you ride the players that brought you. But the bug was clearly playing hurt, and Reyna apparently as well. 3 in 8.

And...Robo ball. And therein lies the common denominator. He played afraid for most of the last month, then in this 2 game series. I despised the tactics. Seattle was not going to score on Sunday, yet we bunkered, expecting we can somehow snip a goal and maybe a win or draw in Seattle. With Dempsey back, and freshened up. We had a chance to put them on the back foot and squandered it. What an idiot.

That's what pisses me off, and the last month leading to playoffs.

Noosa, for me, was the only real bright spot yesterday. He was everywhere in support, and is a hard man. We needed that at 8, big time. Lion, you're on glue re: Hurtado, had no business being in this match, except he maybe brought fresher legs. Go back to my theory on last month. If you put yourself in a position where you need Hurtado because of his fresh legs, may as well pack it up and go home.

Fire the manager, and buy Atiba ASAP.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watched this game on a big screen (unbelievable screen btw) at Bimini's with no sound. They looked incredibly tired and uninspired. Zero pushback when they were down 1-0. A lot of credit to Seattle for that...men vs boys.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

We must disagree. The Canadian in me is saying sorry in advance.

Actually Robo played scared and over did it on the tactics side. He fielded a very defensive team on Sunday at home. The middle 3 were all ball winners. They had no Dempsey. We should have gone for the goal at home.

I know Techera scored some free kicks. But in open play I don't like his game. Bolanos as well. He is More of a 10 the way he plays. As a winger he is a waste. No pace or going at guys. He does everything at a stand still. Yes high quality but in this league the stand still players don't last. Ask Morales. Pirlo isn't getting on the park.

Sure we scored 5 goals. Against a team that opened up late. And one of those games that they bagged all their chances. But overall our front 4 this season sucked.

Reyna was terrible for me. Reminded me of Mattocks just getting the ball And sprinting through the middle. I don't remember one good dribbling run or pass from Reyna. Can't hold up a ball. Didn't get a shot. Nothing.
You need more from you 10. Bolanos would have done better there. Reyna likes to take guys on. So maybe put him out wide and have him go one v one with wingbacks.

I think Montero is quality. Always does the right thing and very strong on the ball. But at 5'6" and 135lbs you can't be a lone striker. Unless your world class like Giovinco. But even him has the balance of habing an altadore beside him.

For me, I enjoy Hurtados new found game. I know he isn't world class. But he has been a steady face and works his tail off. Body language is good and battle for everything.

You can put it over top of the backs and have him win the race lots of the time and hold up the ball. I feel he has improved tons.
I feel he would have given more effort or anything then what Reyna gave us the last two games. I'm not saying Hurtado is great or our saviour. Your right, that if we need to go to Hurtado then the issue is right there.

But the balance and mix we had going forward was wrong. You need a strong body up there at times to bump and make space for a guy like Montero. Hurtado would have kept their back line honest with his pace. And that would have given more space to the others.

Bolanos, Montero and the bug don't have line breaking pace or power. None of the above.
What was the game plan?

If you have Minnie mites up top you better have a possession ground game to break them down. One twos and quick passing. But we don't have that either.

Barca can do it with Xavi, messi, iniesta etc as all smaller guys. Playing with a false 9. But we are talking world class guys with vision and a game breaker in Messi.

What was the game plan? Crosses in to Montero and Reynas? Most VmSl sides would deal with that quite easy.

Actually I agree with you on Robo for once. He got it wrong and deployed the wrong balance.
Bolanos can go join Morales in masters soccer somewhere.

Bolanos is not a winger. Period. Maybe he does well on his national team cause the mix is different and he can coast. But on whitecaps it stands out so much. Headband sucks too.

Spend some money and get a man up top. Or balance it with a Montero like player.

Too much respect given to Seattle. We played scared. That goes on the coach.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

We must disagree. The Canadian in me is saying sorry in advance.

Actually Robo played scared and over did it on the tactics side. He fielded a very defensive team on Sunday at home. The middle 3 were all ball winners. They had no Dempsey. We should have gone for the goal at home.

I know Techera scored some free kicks. But in open play I don't like his game. Bolanos as well. He is More of a 10 the way he plays. As a winger he is a waste. No pace or going at guys. He does everything at a stand still. Yes high quality but in this league the stand still players don't last. Ask Morales. Pirlo isn't getting on the park.

Sure we scored 5 goals. Against a team that opened up late. And one of those games that they bagged all their chances. But overall our front 4 this season sucked.

Reyna was terrible for me. Reminded me of Mattocks just getting the ball And sprinting through the middle. I don't remember one good dribbling run or pass from Reyna. Can't hold up a ball. Didn't get a shot. Nothing.
You need more from you 10. Bolanos would have done better there. Reyna likes to take guys on. So maybe put him out wide and have him go one v one with wingbacks.

I think Montero is quality. Always does the right thing and very strong on the ball. But at 5'6" and 135lbs you can't be a lone striker. Unless your world class like Giovinco. But even him has the balance of habing an altadore beside him.

For me, I enjoy Hurtados new found game. I know he isn't world class. But he has been a steady face and works his tail off. Body language is good and battle for everything.

You can put it over top of the backs and have him win the race lots of the time and hold up the ball. I feel he has improved tons.
I feel he would have given more effort or anything then what Reyna gave us the last two games. I'm not saying Hurtado is great or our saviour. Your right, that if we need to go to Hurtado then the issue is right there.

But the balance and mix we had going forward was wrong. You need a strong body up there at times to bump and make space for a guy like Montero. Hurtado would have kept their back line honest with his pace. And that would have given more space to the others.

Bolanos, Montero and the bug don't have line breaking pace or power. None of the above.
What was the game plan?

If you have Minnie mites up top you better have a possession ground game to break them down. One twos and quick passing. But we don't have that either.

Barca can do it with Xavi, messi, iniesta etc as all smaller guys. Playing with a false 9. But we are talking world class guys with vision and a game breaker in Messi.

What was the game plan? Crosses in to Montero and Reynas? Most VmSl sides would deal with that quite easy.

Actually I agree with you on Robo for once. He got it wrong and deployed the wrong balance.
Bolanos can go join Morales in masters soccer somewhere.

Bolanos is not a winger. Period. Maybe he does well on his national team cause the mix is different and he can coast. But on whitecaps it stands out so much. Headband sucks too.

Spend some money and get a man up top. Or balance it with a Montero like player.

Too much respect given to Seattle. We played scared. That goes on the coach.

Disagree?

On your very first point it is exactly what I said!

I'm just not going to get into the individual players on the night. Why? Pointless. All Except Davies were spent, and Davies was cold from being out of the action for way to long. Way to go, Robo. The one real prospect we have, and you sit him to the point he's forgotten how to play the game. Should have been using this kid as much as possible, as long as he was healthy. Let him play through his mistakes...besides, he was better than pretty much every other winger, save the bug, and I only say that because the bug has been productive.

And, ultimately, you can't ignore production.

The rest? They almost all get a no-grade from me because they were done before the match started. Dead legs. No extra gear. No push-back. The extra game, combined with Dempsey getting a rest on the 1st leg, killed them.

Like I said, the only player that stood out for me in a positive way was Nosa. Actually, de Jong was very good all three games. Super consistent, reliable, great energy, hardly a step out of line. Deffinitely next year's starting LB. The rest, I will judge based on their season.

Reyna has tallent, but needs consistency. But hey, we were all hard on Hurtado, including you, when he was dribbling past the goal line and into the tunnel for so long. Now you love him, and Reyna is 10x the player Hurtado can ever hope to be now. Reyna just needs a year of a consistent environment, and the responsibility of knowing he's a fixture. Maybe he's better wide, who knows.

Back to Hurtado...just release him. Now. Be done, goodbye.

Yeah, we need a true 10, one with a lot of bite. Um...like that guy Dempsey.

So, I don't think we truly disagree. We're just looking at this through different microscopes.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No kidding. That’s why I hope this rumor of a pending sale are true. The Duz and the whole front office needs to go. Duz Out. Lewis Out.

Keep Robo if you must while transitioning the management team, then let your new President decide.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just on the news this morning; Robinson guaranteed to stay, Ousted out, Harvey possibly out, Montero most likely back to his loanee club in China. Laba also most likely gone. Shea should be gone to at least as a DP he’s not worth that money anymore.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So here's a bunch of blatant speculation and pot-stirring questions for you...
  1. This team will look very different next season. Montero, Ousted, Harvey, Jacobson, gone for sure. Laba, Tiebert, Techera very likely as well.
  2. Who does Shea have blackmail photos of? Journeyman being paid as a highly-overrated DP.
  3. How much longer does Waston stay? He looks like a very angry man...
  4. Why don't we have any Italian players on the team? Ask Bobbaduzzi...
  5. How much say does Robbo actually have in who gets signed?
  6. How much say does Robbo actually have in player selection?

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
From MLS website....

Whitecaps' deep cuts include Laba, Bolanos

Goalkeeper David Ousted has known since June that the Vancouver Whitecaps weren't picking up his option for 2018, but the club still had plenty of surprises to unveil on Monday.

The list of those whose options were declined includes midfielders Christian Bolanos, who had seven assists in league play this year, and Matias Laba, whose season was cut short in August by an ACL injury and subsequent surgery. The Whitecaps' list of declined options also included those of midfielders Marco Bustos and Russell Teibert, as well as veteran winger Mauro Rosales.

However, the club are still in talks with several players whose options were declined, and hope to keep striker Fredy Montero at BC Place after his one-year loan from Chinese side Tianjin Teda expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0