Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Langley Utd. 2-5 BCT Rovers Tigers FT (AET)

Speechless after that one. The last minute penalty before Rovers took the lead in ET and then Hicks was sent off for Langley. Stunning.

I think BC Soccer posts the streams, all the ones from previous seasons are up there.

blade

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got in from the main event. I will leave the particulars to canucksforever who does a fantastic job of that for everyone here.

I thought Langley deserved a lot better today. They are a very good side and they showed it for large portions of the final. They are big, gritty, and organized and really a very solid team. They represented the FVSL extremely well today and showed that the parity between the top teams in the leagues has leveled . The score was not indicative of the match overall.

The big man up front for Langley got both goals and they were very nicely finished! I felt he might have buried the Tigers when he got the second one late . He is the real deal and extremely difficult to contain. Langley were full value for both leads they had.

Marksmen Nick Soolsma once again showed his worth for the Tigers with 3 I believe- correct me if I am wrong anyone , and he looked clinical doing it as always with some nic e finishes including the game -saving penalty.

Now onto the talking points.....

Langley seemed poised to be the new provincial champs when in the 93rd minute, a Tigers defender was clearly taken down as he was craftily moving through the top of the area. Definitely a gut - wrenching feeling as it occurred as the last play of the match. Not a single Langley player protested as the pk. Though it had no malice to it whatsoever, it was very clear and very obvious and the referee had no hesitation in awarding it. Just gut wrenching for Langley .

In the OT , shortly after taking the lead, a Tigers attacker sprang free as Langley pushed for the tie. Hicks, the Langley keeper came well out of his area to challenge and clearly tripped the Tigers attacker as he was pushing past him. Again, there was no malice to it- he was just trying to play the ball . Unfortunately he got him and with it , was sent off for denying the obvious goal scoring opportunity. This was clear , and it was the right call and I really felt for Langley at that moment . They were seconds from victory and we're now a million miles away . Regardless of who you supported , you had to really feel for them at that moment.

The other goals in garbage time were a moot point so I will leave it at that though I thought the player who took over the pipes for Hicks played very well and faced some tough shots .

I was glad to see that my Mother's Day Sunday was not marred by a controversy -laden "sht show" like last year but rather , a very well played game by both teams , for the most part.

Tigers won on this day and are the new provincial cup champs . Good on them !

Langley , though absolutely gutted, - from being literally 5 seconds from victory, really represented themselves and the FVSL extremely well and showed that the gap really does not exist between the leagues as it once did.

A good show for those who were able to take it in today .

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dammit....seconds away from writing a different post.

Great match....

First, @robj very happy for you. Well done, and sincere best wishes at Saskatoon.

That said, I’m crushed for Mike, Rob, Will, and all of Langley. You guys played a great match. Wantke was a pure stud, would like to know what happened early to necessitate the subs.

Dammit....

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was the last play PK really warranted?

Conflicting stories as FVSL-related twatters calling it "dubious" and "gifted"

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I dunno about that. When I saw it my reaction was that it was warranted. It definitely seemed in the 18, and a trip.

Don’t have the benefit of replay right now I don’t think.

Langley was literally one bad clearance away from winning the match, and would have been full value.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You gotta understand that at that point BCT had the kitchen sink and all the plumbing thrown in up front. It was wave after desperate wave, and I forgot the name of the lad who drew the PK, but he was very smart to drive into the box and invite contact, but added to that, he was really jinky. He really made a difference down that right side.

Nov 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
From my angle it looked as if Wantke dislocated his pinky finger and it was pointed completely sideways and no one was qualified to pop it back into place until a fan from the stands went down to pop it back in. It looked gruesome, hes a stud!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Read those comments and I will say this: thought the official did a great job today. There were a couple of opportunities in the match where a weaker minded man would have maybe gifted one on a tackle here or ball-to-hand there but didn’t. Let the teams play a physical match. Took courage to call the last second PK, and now I really want to see the play again. All I know is that I was gutted when it happened.

Also, those comments don’t come off great but heat of the moment and all.

No matter who won it today, they had to earn it. BCT earned it.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've got some cracking video for the penalty which I'll get up later. But clear penalty. John Kasper brought down Rahid Rahiem. Stupid challenge to make.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stonewall penalty from my angle. Ruch is a top class official and he fully earned the appointment to to final match.

It did take courage to make the penalty call, but I think the most telling aspect of the call for me was the fact that it was so automatic. Ruch looked almost unconscious blowing the whistle and pointing to the spot, entirely removed from the bigger picture of Langley being seconds away from a championship. He saw a foul, he called a foul. That's what you want from an official IMO, the same reaction from the first minute to the last minute.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've got some cracking video for the penalty which I'll get up later. But clear penalty. John Kasper brought down Rahid Rahiem. Stupid challenge to make.

I couldn't see who pulled down Raheim from my angle, just that there was clear contact. That's tough on Kasper as he was brought on at the end to shore up the D and had only been on the pitch for a few minutes at that point. He had been on earlier while Wantke was having his issue sorted out. Ironically Langley having to burn those two subs earlier ended up hurting them at the end.

Certainly keen to get a look at the highlights.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Took in the men's game after my game. I can't think of a worse turn of events that I have seen in such a long time for Langley. Literally seconds from being crowned BC champs and a sequence of events occurs that is tough to handle.

The peno was warranted. It was the right call. The red on Andrew Hicks was also the right call. It was a well officiated game. I have connections to both Langley and BCT with former players. But I was rooting for Langley, only because I am so sick and tired of the VMSL vs FVSL debate and was looking forward to quelling it for a bit. Two great teams nevertheless. And BCT are definitely worthy champions. Congratulations!

I'll be seeing them in Saskatoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0