Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 BC Masters Provincial A Cup Draw, discussion, banter and results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Masters A Draw:

Cowichan 49ers (1 seed) VISL
Bye

Columbus VMSL
UVic Alum VISL

PCOV (2 seed) VMSL
Bye

Temple FVSL
Port Moody FVSL

Metro Ford (3 seed) VMSL
Bye

North Delta FVSL
Gorge FC VISL

Surrey Utd (4 seed) FVSL
Bye

EDC Inter VMSL
West Van FC VMSL

Last edited:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that's correct, but I noticed in some draws you couldn't play a team from the same league first round, but in others you can so I don't know. 3/4 the way through the BC soccer feed it turned to dog food commercials for some reason, but I got to see the Masters draw anyway...

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few good games in the first round.

It seems like Columbus plays UVic Alum almost every year and it is usually the home team that takes that one. Columbus 3 UVic 1

Temple vs Port Moody
in an all FVSL clash, you have to give the nod to Port Moody 3-2

North Delta (FVSL) vs Gorge (VISL).
Home field is usually huge in these, but I am going to say Gorge comes through to takes this one 2-1

Finally, it is EDC (VMSL) vs West Van (VMSL). One EDC TTPer has been on this site calling West Van muckers, haters, racists etc. EDC, the reigning BC Champs are in very tough here, and won't be able to talk their way out of this one. West Van 3 EDC 1.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The annual old boys competition gets going this week, though with most leagues playing shorter seasons in their Masters divisions, several will be short of match fitness coming into this. For those teams with byes, there are two further weeks off as there are no matches next week either with the competitions breaking for Easter. So we shall see if rust plays a factor in any of these encounters.

Standard Disclaimer:
For those not familiar with my column, I am largely just pulling this stuff out of thin air. I try to find whatever information is readily available online, but ultimately I am just trying to generate some interest in local soccer in BC. If I have omitted or overlooked facts that you consider relevant to your team or league, it's not done intentionally...get over it...;)

Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s Masters A Deryl Hughes Provincial Cup
Preliminary Round:

ICSF Columbus (VMSL)
v UVic Alumni (VISL) - Sunday 12:00pm @ Burnaby Lake West #3, Burnaby
We begin with the Match of the Round as two second place sides clash at Burnaby Lake. Columbus were neck in neck with Coquitlam Metro Ford until a forfeit from Croatia gave Metro Ford a freebie, while Columbus lost to a desperate Inter side which sealed the Italians fate as runners up. For UVic it was even closer as they finished with an identical record as champions Cowichan, but lost out on goal difference. Two more goals for or less against and it would have been a dead heat! Alas, it was not to be. Meaning that instead of being seeded and having a home game, Alumni are faced with a trip to the Mainland and a very tricky away draw. Columbus missed out on this tournament last season, leaving one to assume they will be hungry for a decent cup run. So too should be VMSL Masters Premier Golden Boot winner Steve Deblasio. Deblasio finally made the jump from open to Masters this season and scorched the league for 20 goals in 18 games. His last taste of the BCs will have come back with the club's open group and, given their recent struggles and time in Division 1, that is likely circa 2014. UVic are no slouches in the goal scoring department either though, as Dean Anderson and Mandu Goebl put up 16 and 14 goals respectively this year. Alumni certainly won't be making the trip over just to enjoy a nice spring day at Burnaby Lake, they will believe they can win this one. This quarter of the draw is particularly tough, given the winner heads to Cowichan after Easter. However, surely both sides would consider that a welcome problem to have. Expect a top match in this one that, again, could go either way. Usually when things a this close on paper though, the edge goes to the home team as travel always seems to play a factor this time of year.

Temple United FC A (FVSL) v Port Moody Rangers (FVSL) - Saturday 7:00pm @ Newton Athletic Turf #1, Surrey
Last season these two domestic rivals met in the quarter finals and it was Temple pulling off the upset against then FVSL champions Port Moody. These two meet again this season in what should be another spicy affair. Port Moody are again likely slight favourites after finishing in second, six points ahead of third place Temple. The head to head stats, while not definitive, also skew things towards the Rangers. Temple took the first meeting between the sides 2-0 but it was all Port Moody after that. The Rangers took the next leg 4-0 before adding another 2-1 league win as well as a 4-2 triumph in cup play. Neither team has played much football with both sides having had only a handful of matches since the end of January, but Port Moody were successful last weekend, winning the FVSL Masters A Cup over league winners Surrey United and looking sharp in the process, posting a 3-0 scoreline. Rangers also boast one of the FVSL Masters top scorers in 11 goal man Jeff Rogers. Add it all up and things are pointed decidedly towards PoMo in this one. Temple will not simply be rolling over for their league-mates, though, and will be confident of pulling off another upset this year.

North Delta SC Rangers (FVSL) v Gorge FC (VISL) - Sunday 1:30pm @ Delsom Turf, Surrey
It was a two horse race this season in the VISL Masters division and Gorge were not one of those horses. They were a distant third place, posting a 9-8 record and finishing fully 21 points back of the top two sides. North Delta certainly did not have one of their trademark season, as they fell down the pecking order in the Valley to fourth, mustering a record similar to that of their opponents this week, going 7-2-6 this year. These teams would seem well matched then and would also seem likely cannon fodder for VMSL champions Coquitlam Metro Ford in the next round. One thing that did not change for North Delta this year was an MVP performance from leading scorer Kevan Guall, however, his 11 goals were below his usual standard and not enough to see him win the FVSL Masters Golden Boot. The man who gets the goals for Gorge is Francesco Cortini and, just likely the similarities between these teams records, Cortini put up a similar output to Guall, notching 10 goals for the campaign. Again, given how well matched these sides look on paper, you have wonder what roll the travel factor will play. Especially when one considers that Gorge's reward for a win is another trip back to the Mainland after Easter. I am not at all suggesting that they will not be giving a 100% effort, but, if it comes right down to it, I am not so sure the will to find another gear will be there for them if they need it.

Club Inter EDC (VMSL) v West Van FC (VMSL) - Saturday 3:30pm @ Burnaby Lake #2, Burnaby
The defending Masters Provincial A Cup champions Inter EDC (or just EDC as they were when they won it last season), only barely qualified for this year's competition. They needed to take advantage of some well positioned late season make up games to over take the team they beat in last season's final, Westside FC. One of the teams that they need to get points off of in those make up games was West Van. Reports say that it was 1-0 West Van into the second half when a pair of players had to leave and, thanks to further injuries, the once Trollers ended up playing with less than a full side. Inter would take full advantage and reverse that scoreline for a 2-1 win and three precious points. It is unlikely though that the North Shore side will be at less than their best when the sides meet this time around, which may produce a match more akin to the first time these squads met, and the first half of their most recent meeting, both of which finished 1-0 or their cup match, from which West Van also emerged victorious, 2-1. Regardless, it would seem safe to bet on this one being a close run affair. The question is, what sort of EDC team will show up? The one that took the league by storm in their inaugural season at this level and won the Provincial Cup? Or the one that, at times, appeared to be sleepwalking through this season? Perhaps it was a cup hangover, but, whatever the case, the Burnaby based side will be hoping that their late run to get back to this tournament has helped them flip a switch. If they are at anything less than their best, it seems likely that West Van will beat them for a third time this season.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yep 3-2 WV in extra time. We actually scored on them six times, and the linesmen who were being "evaluated" called back three header goals off set pieces wtf. EDC Inter were a much-changed team for the better with Marrello, who scored a nice goal, and Kindel in goal being their standout players; first time we've seen them this year. Crouch in his first game back with the winner. Actually a super entertaining game, really highly contested. EDC sat back and countered well a few times. Away to Surrey United next RF.

Last edited:

ASSMAN

Sep 9, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The man in the middle of our game last night was also being evaluated. Not sure why they do this at this time of the season as its becomes a game changer in a big game.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was doing the line today at the Columbus UVic game...he isnt a bad ref, lets a lot of stuff go but both ways...it was the linesmen...

CowichanPrez

Apr 20, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can’t keep reading all these posts about the B cup so I figured I’d get everyone moving in here:
Predictions
Cowichan vs Columbus - I won’t predict this game due to the bias nature, but I am looking forward to it!
PCOV vs Port Moody - given the late success of PCOV I will go 3-1 PCOV over Port Moody.
Coquitlam vs North Delta - I believe Coquitlam is absolutely going to blow out North Delta, 5-0.
Surrey vs WestVan - this one is going to be close, I am rooting for the FSVL to hang on but I’ll give it to WestVan in a close 1-0 win.

These are all just uneducated guesses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts