Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Nations Cup

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard in exhibition play that team China open beat Caribbean over-30 to the tune of 8-0.
Is that indicative of the gulf in quality from open to over-30? I was shocked by the scoreline. Thought it would be much closer.

KingFisher

Dec 12, 2018
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds about right. The level of play in O30 is fairly weak. Alot of guys Over 30 can still play open. They really need to scrap the Over 30 division and make it an Over 35 division like the VMSL and FVSL have

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Beg to disagree.
The quality in the O-30s is fantastic.
I prefer an O-30 game to a Open game sometimes.

And no, a preseason friendly between an Open team and an O-30s is not indicative of the gulf at all IMHO Machel.
Especially the Caribbean team losing by that margin - They must have been off and/or lacking players.

Caribbean were runners up last year in Over-30 if I'm not mistaken so them losing by that scoreline was shocking to me. They may have been missing some players. Or maybe China is the real deal this year! lol. We'll see. haha

Some good ball still being played at in Over-30. I don't think the structure needs to change @KingFisher . Usually the players who are still capable of playing open age usually jump ship to Over-30 at age 33-35 anyways.

Looking forward to the tournament and seeing old pals from teams past!

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree as well. Over 30 is way more fun to watch than open. A bit slower but a lit more efficient game. You can see that players are smart with their decisions.
However, organizers need to do a better job. Is the 3 foreign players rule in effect? Every year same story. Too many non- national players playing for a particular country. Open portugal team for example had maybe 3 portugese kids. They shouldnt be able to compete. Something is got a give. Some others team are doing same thing. When do you draw a line that enough is enough? Something to think about.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
However, organizers need to do a better job. Is the 3 foreign players rule in effect? Every year same story. Too many non- national players playing for a particular country. Open portugal team for example had maybe 3 portugese kids. They shouldnt be able to compete. Something is got a give. Some others team are doing same thing. When do you draw a line that enough is enough? Something to think about.

Three foreign players rule does not exist officially. I guess everyone accepted that unofficial rule (even the tournament committee) otherwise most of the teams would be disqualified.

Official rules re eligibility

ELIGIBILITY: All age groups Players qualify through:
  • Country of birth
  • Parentage
  • Grand parentage
  • Citizenship
The responsibility for the player eligibility rests solely on the team manager. Managers who fail to uphold the rules may have their country removed from the tournament.

Protests regarding player eligibility must be received at the tournament desk within one hour of the end of the game.

At the discretion of the tournament committee, should a player be found to be ineligible within the time limit the team may be disqualified and any affected games will be recorded as a 1:0 defeat.

Any player who legitimately qualifies for more than one country who wishes to transfer from one country to another (not in the same year) must have the manager of the new country's team submit a request to the Tournament Committee with proof of eligibility and request approval from the committee.

Players participating in the qualifying tournament may not then represent another nation during the actual tournament.

Players can ONLY play for one team in the any given year of the tournament. Players are prohibited from playing for any other team, any other country or in any other age category.

The Tournament Committee reserves the right to make final and binding ruling on player eligibility.

So, how do you really check players eligibility? Is the tournament committee going to ask a player to prove, for example, grand parentage eligibility? That probably would be a nightmare to check so, I guess, the tournament committee just accepts the team's list as it is as long as any player does not play for more than one team in any given year of the tournament.

Anyway, every team has one hour within the end of the game to protest the players eligibility but no one wants to use that option. In my opinion it really does not matter. It is summer time and it is supposed to be fun (and it is) so, bottom line, who cares who plays for who.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree, who cares. But in the same breath, Italy, Scotland, England, Canada, India, Fiji, China, Ireland etc can’t find enough players. That’s a bunch of bulljive. Some of the teams are getting ridiculous.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, if a tournament is organized one way then it has to uphold that philosophy. I disagree that its summer who cares where someone plays. If its like that, then change the name of a tournament to richmond summer fun tourney. Then you can play with whatever team you want.
Unlike winter, summer leagues where players can play anywhere and choose to do so, this type of tourney should be different. Work with your community, uphold tourney principles and have some legitimate pride in your team, no matter what result.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
robino,

This is the “official statement” from the tournament organizer: “This unique concept of grouping players based on their ethnic backgrounds and/or countries of origin creates an exciting atmosphere that provides a platform for people throughout the community to express their ethnic pride”.

Quite simple, correct? Or, is it?

The term “ethnic background” is very broad on its own. Where do you draw the line? Nationality? Ethnicity? Ethnic groups (Slavic, Nordic, etc.)? Religion? Or, to add to the list, maybe country borders? Citizenship? Regional borders? Continents?

Look at, for example, 16 teams in Men’s Open: Africa, Arabia, Canada, China, Croatia, England, Fiji, Germany, India, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Scotland, and Serbia.

Two teams (Africa and Arabia) are supposed to be representing either a whole continent (Africa) or a region (Arabia in this case is not one country - Saudi Arabia; I heard that Arabia in this tournament is actually supposed to be representing a region of 22 countries that make Arab League). Other 14 teams are clearly countries. Obviously, the tournament in this category (Men's Open) has a mix of teams where some represent regions while some represent specific countries so that is a problem on its own re policing players' eligibility.

Croatia and Serbia represent ethnic Croats and ethnic Serbs but both those ethnic groups belong to Slavs (countries considered to be official Slavic states are Czech Republic, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Poland, Slovakia, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro).
As a matter of fact, somebody could put players from those 13 countries into one team based on their Slavic roots and they would not break the Nations Cup rule re ethnic background.

Having said all this, it is obvious that it is impossible to police the teams’ lists. That is why I said that it really does not matter.
The organizer actually left it to the teams that are competing to protest within one hour after the game. Has anyone ever protested the eligibility of any player? Probably not. Actually, it would be very interesting to see how quick the ruling would be (if somebody protested a player's eligibility) considering how broad that “ethnic background” category is.

This, of course, does not mean that glaring examples of breaking the eligibility rule should be accepted and I am quite sure you were referring to those glaring examples.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
robino,

This is the “official statement” from the tournament organizer: “This unique concept of grouping players based on their ethnic backgrounds and/or countries of origin creates an exciting atmosphere that provides a platform for people throughout the community to express their ethnic pride”.

Quite simple, correct? Or, is it?

The term “ethnic background” is very broad on its own. Where do you draw the line? Nationality? Ethnicity? Ethnic groups (Slavic, Nordic, etc.)? Religion? Or, to add to the list, maybe country borders? Citizenship? Regional borders? Continents?

Look at, for example, 16 teams in Men’s Open: Africa, Arabia, Canada, China, Croatia, England, Fiji, Germany, India, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Scotland, and Serbia.

Two teams (Africa and Arabia) are supposed to be representing either a whole continent (Africa) or a region (Arabia in this case is not one country - Saudi Arabia; I heard that Arabia in this tournament is actually supposed to be representing a region of 22 countries that make Arab League). Other 14 teams are clearly countries. Obviously, the tournament in this category (Men's Open) has a mix of teams where some represent regions while some represent specific countries so that is a problem on its own re policing players' eligibility.

Croatia and Serbia represent ethnic Croats and ethnic Serbs but both those ethnic groups belong to Slavs (countries considered to be official Slavic states are Czech Republic, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Poland, Slovakia, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro).
As a matter of fact, somebody could put players from those 13 countries into one team based on their Slavic roots and they would not break the Nations Cup rule re ethnic background.

Having said all this, it is obvious that it is impossible to police the teams’ lists. That is why I said that it really does not matter.
The organizer actually left it to the teams that are competing to protest within one hour after the game. Has anyone ever protested the eligibility of any player? Probably not. Actually, it would be very interesting to see how quick the ruling would be (if somebody protested a player's eligibility) considering how broad that “ethnic background” category is.

This, of course, does not mean that glaring examples of breaking the eligibility rule should be accepted and I am quite sure you were referring to those glaring examples.

Play where ya want

Nuff said ......

Everyone everywhere

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any updates/scores from Day 1?

In over-30 Portugal beat us(China) 2-1.
Really good game for us. We were up 1-0, hit the post on an empty net and their keep kept out a point blank header. Could have been 3-0.
They started to turn the screws on us in the last 15 minutes and scored 2 goals and couple flashed shots that went a couple feet wide. Fun game and good luck to @hard ballz and co.

Italy and Africa over-30 were after us and the tempo was intense from the get go. Lots of rough challenges and skillful play. It was 0-0 when I left at around the 45th minute.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walked up to Minrou and caught the 2nd half of USA vs Serbia O30s just as the USA GK received a straight ref for a professional foul outside the box I believe. Serbia bury the subsequent free kick to make it 1-1. USA goes down the other end earning a PK which was slotted well. They bury a 3rd shortly there after on the counter attack with a nice finish by the winger who rounded the keeper well and slotted from a tight angle. Have to say, chippy game with late challenges from both sides, that the ref was happy to just simply whistle down and then continue on from the spot of the foul. Surprised it didn't get any uglier but I suppose that's credit to both sides for not losing their heads.

Watched England vs Ireland O30s afterwards and it was basically one way traffic for the majority of the game from start to finish. England ran out deserved 4-nil winners.

Pity there wasn't a beer garden between the two pitches at the Minoru venue. A case of easier said then done I'm sure, and not worth the hassle I suspect.

Good luck to all those competing this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts