Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
they're still short of talent, but things I liked tonight:

- Henry - Waston level beast without the neurotic crap

- Adnan - amazing what a difference a stud LB can make

- Teibert - a couple of excellent, surgical forward passes and overall a good effort. just never shoot again please...

- Venuto - one player who understands that you have to attack with pace to create. although, he has to be in position to finish the Montero cross...

- Montero - it has to be said, he does well with what he is given...

I'd love to see Ardaiz and Montero play up top together, with Hwang playing the CAM behind them...

the penalty is technically a foul, but I'd never give it in late in a 0-0 game, unless the defender goes full demolition derby on the attacker...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude how many games until you can admit this team isn’t better then last years team?
It’s not the coach. We can bring in Zizu and it wouldn’t make a difference.

4 games now. Montero doesn’t even record a shot on net today. How many games until you Have to look at another system or starting central striker? 6-7 games? The leash must be shortening no?

If we are at less then 10 points after the first 10 matches do the caps Fire the coach?

What’s the plan guys? As right now, I’m not saying much light at the end of the tunnel...

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude how many games until you can admit this team isn’t better then last years team?

4 games now. Montero doesn’t even record a shot on net today. How many games until you Have to look at another system or starting central striker? 6-7 games? The leash must be shortening no?

If we are at less then 10 points after the first 10 matches do the caps Fire the coach?

What’s the plan guys? As right now, I’m not saying much light at the end of the tunnel...
There was a rumour of Larkin from Besiktas for 2m as he hasn’t fit in over there. That would be nice, young Canadian with a scorers touch. I think this team has potential. Inbeom is quality and Venuto showed spark. We need that key striker though. And a new FO. But there are signs of positive things.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
There was a rumour of Larkin from Besiktas for 2m as he hasn’t fit in over there. That would be nice, young Canadian with a scorers touch. I think this team has potential. Inbeom is quality and Venuto showed spark. We need that key striker though. And a new FO. But there are signs of positive things.

Larin definitely has a nose for goals in MLS. I'd welcome that signing, hell yeah.

I watched the entire match from home and it was agonizing to be honest. Pathetic for a home match. Looked like Seattle were on a powerplay for most of the match. I'd have to disagree with @LION , I think the coach has to shoulder a lot of the blame with these tactics. Where the hell is the high pressure system MDS talked about? He leaves Montero alone on an island up top in a home game and you could see how frustrated he was. Also, why keep him on the pitch for 85 minutes when he's done almost fcuk all?

We started seeing some attacking emphasis when Hwang and Venuto came on and of course Arduiz could have stolen the points.
Adnan looks to be a legit signing.
Erice with captains armband makes me want to puke.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really don't understand the Erice hate... he disrupts a lot in the middle of the park. He had one bad giveaway where Quintero got in on him quicker than he expected; beyond that he's been good.

As for Larin, wouldn't he be subject to the re-entry allocation process? I'm sure they could grossly overpay (as is their wont) to get the top spot, but if they're only going to put one guy up top with no service anyway, why bother?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rusty apparently was playing with a spectated shoulder. Can anyone tell me why you would play him with that injury and keep Inbeom on the bench? I didn’t hear of him being hurt? So many questions when it comes to this club. I can only imagine what a healthy Ibra will do to them if he is cleared for Friday.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really don't understand the Erice hate... he disrupts a lot in the middle of the park. He had one bad giveaway where Quintero got in on him quicker than he expected; beyond that he's been good.

As for Larin, wouldn't he be subject to the re-entry allocation process? I'm sure they could grossly overpay (as is their wont) to get the top spot, but if they're only going to put one guy up top with no service anyway, why bother?

He was caught in possession a few times and I find his passes aren't dynamic enough from the back. Dude needs to be the quarterback from there.
Besides that, I don't really have too much to hate on. I just think the captain should be someone who's been on the team a while or is going to stick it out with the team like RT or Henry. Just my opinion.

Looked like RT hurt his shoulder/collar bone in the Canada game. Kinda surprised he played but maybe it wasn't as serious as it looked at the field.(?)

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teibert was good on the day but he's still going to have more than his fair share of mares.... plus, I haven't forgotten about him throwing his ex-teammates under the bus at the end of last season.... someone else for captain please...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rusty apparently was playing with a spectated shoulder. Can anyone tell me why you would play him with that injury and keep Inbeom on the bench? I didn’t hear of him being hurt? So many questions when it comes to this club. I can only imagine what a healthy Ibra will do to them if he is cleared for Friday.

Hwang was probably on fumes from the international travel / games...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

No. He needs a season, maybe two to truly see what he can do.

You are obviously still a small bit buthurt about me accusing you of being a card carrying member of the coaching fraternity, those who believe even the most incompetent of professional coaches should not be fired because it's really all about the players.

Well, the last guys proved to be completely incompetent of not only running a bench effectively, but also of controlling his own room. Let me ask YOU, would you have kept Robo on? because besides Luke Wildman, you'd be the only one in Canada truly believing he deserved to stay on.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teibert was good on the day but he's still going to have more than his fair share of mares.... plus, I haven't forgotten about him throwing his ex-teammates under the bus at the end of last season.... someone else for captain please...

Playing with a separated shoulder is captain material.
I'll bet Erice will have more turn overs than RT this year.
I'll say that Erice is an upgrade on Juarez ;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Playing w/ a shoulder separation doesn't make you a captain. It makes you tough, yes, and puts you in good light w/ your coach, but it's only one small part of what Captaincy material is. We don't know what Erice is like in the room. We do know RT threw some guys under the bus last year. can't sit well with any mates who know that history.

RT needs to have a season in MLS where he shows to be a dominant, reliable midfielder. An easy first choice for the manager. If that ever happens, then maybe he can wear an armband.

To be honest, not one player has stood out yet for me as being your leader. Possibly Godoy?

Here's where I'm at: I don't think Andy Rose brings anything special to the table. Same w/ Filipe, I am shocked he's still here, TBH. I didn't understand the justification for re-signing him at the time, makes even less sense now, unless we're concerned about injury depth (maybe). I rank RT ahead of him and Rose. I'd personally like to see what Davie Norman Jr. has to offer in an MLS match, and over a couple. The way I see it, if these internationals that have been brought in don't show they have something special warranting that expenditure, they should not be taking the job away from your homegrown players. Those guys should get a shot to see if they can be just as effective or maybe more.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude can I ask what your fascination with David Norman jr is? Is it because you knew his dad or if he’s Canadian? You’ve mentioned him a number of times, I’ve never seen him play personally. I’m all for giving a local kid a chance just wondering if he’s actually on the verge of breaking into the team.

When you look at signings such as Pozuelo for TFC, combined with Altidore etc. You do wonder how we are ever going to compete. The team needs some legitimate difference makers. Then guys like Russel Tiebert can just do a job. We continue to ask average players to be more then they are. It’s not a winning formula. Same level of squad as before really, the left back looks to be a player. However I’m hoping our team stud isn’t a left back.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not a fascination with him, but a fascination with seeing them develop internally. I feel that they have not done nearly enough to bring through HGs and blood them.

DNJ was arguably their best player at WFC2 when they had the USL squad, and had earned his contract. He apparently showed very well over in Scotland. What is stopping WFC from giving him a run right now? Tiebert is injured. Bring DNJ home from the UK trip and put him in on Saturday. Good holding midfielders don't grow on trees, and it seems to me we keep doing this exhaustive search internationally to find one, then come up w/ Ali fcuking Ghazal on something like $750K. Seriously, we can't do better than that? I'd like to see if DNJ can be better than that, at least, and Robo didn't have the balls to put him in. or maybe it was bad for his Base kickbacks (allegedly), who knows the real reason.

Now we have a clean slate, I'd like to see what we have. That goes with others, Colyn, Baldisimo, etc..

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with what you are saying. I’d like to see if these guys can do it. Sometimes all it takes is a coach to believe in you and give you some rope to have some up and down moments. I know nothing about these kids really but wonder if the coaches seeing them everyday just realize they aren’t at the level to make an impact.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's what I don't get, and would like comments from others more closely dialed in...

As I understand, WFC Academy does quite well North American wide. Other MLS squads bring up their homegrowns, and do exactly as you say, give them rope, because rope is what you need to get used to the pace of play.

With the latest allegations coming out about Robo- allegations of getting kick-backs from all the Base signings, and possibly even a kick-back on the Davies deal- I frankly don't believe a goddamn word out of this organization over the past few years during the Robo era about graduating HGs. I don't believe it was in Robo's best interest to promote any HG player if his name wasn't Davies.

Now we have a clean slate, and some talented kids that need SOMETHING to graduate to. The club axed the USL team, that's a huge problem. Are they really getting what they need out of this U23 travelling squad? I highly doubt they are getting the level of competition they really need.

Anyhow....yeah I too would like to hear more from those closer to the ground.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know what I don't support? Bringing in lower level European Pros for no other reason than- it seems- they have a European upbringing in the game. I need to see they are better than our kids. I haven't seen that in an overwhelming way quite yet. Only few, really, turning out to be real quality, indisputably better than what we can offer, are Godoy, Adnan, Huwang, and maybe the wingers Bangoura and Venuto, but neither of these guys hold a candle to Davies. I do think they are upgrades on last years wingers, but still. I don't know much about what we have for wingers in the pipeline.

The way Monterro is currently playing, I'm all for Ardaiz getting his time right now. Monterro should be coming in as a 20 minute guy, when we need the goals, let him work against tired legs, looking for poaching opportunities.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Playing w/ a shoulder separation doesn't make you a captain. It makes you tough, yes, and puts you in good light w/ your coach, but it's only one small part of what Captaincy material is. We don't know what Erice is like in the room. We do know RT threw some guys under the bus last year. can't sit well with any mates who know that history.

RT needs to have a season in MLS where he shows to be a dominant, reliable midfielder. An easy first choice for the manager. If that ever happens, then maybe he can wear an armband.

These Whitecaps are slowly becoming not "my" Whitecaps and maybe as a fan I need to evolve with the ever changing landscape that is the roster.
Maybe I'm stuck in my old ways where I want the captain to be someone who will stick around for a few years and not a player just here being a Merc or using the club as a stepping stone to go somewhere else.
Maybe I liked the fact that Stan Smyl was the Canucks captain and wasn't necessarily the best player on the team but showed what it meant to be a Canuck. You can stick with a club through thick and thin when you actually like the players and have a connection with them.
Maybe I'm too in love with my local team to see that they have changed since entering MLS.
USL/A-League Whitecaps I enjoyed more to be honest.
I remember the Caps not signing Nash for their first MLS season. Our captain!
It felt like a betrayal to me. Was he past it? Maybe, but that's not really the point imo.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
These Whitecaps are slowly becoming not "my" Whitecaps and maybe as a fan I need to evolve with the ever changing landscape that is the roster.
Maybe I'm stuck in my old ways where I want the captain to be someone who will stick around for a few years and not a player just here being a Merc or using the club as a stepping stone to go somewhere else.
Maybe I liked the fact that Stan Smyl was the Canucks captain and wasn't necessarily the best player on the team but showed what it meant to be a Canuck. You can stick with a club through thick and thin when you actually like the players and have a connection with them.
Maybe I'm too in love with my local team to see that they have changed since entering MLS.
USL/A-League Whitecaps I enjoyed more to be honest.
I remember the Caps not signing Nash for their first MLS season. Our captain!
It felt like a betrayal to me. Was he past it? Maybe, but that's not really the point imo.

100% on board w/ you. I just think there are a number of traits you need to show in order to wear that armband, including being a regular, 1st team starter. Not a guy battling for minutes, but your first choice. RT is still not that guy, may never be.

You may need to tie yourself to a CPL squad to get that hometown feeling back. I'm very interested to see PFC this season, and seeing if that can spark something in me.

With all the off-field ugliness the Caps are tied to, I'm not so sure I can keep aligning myself w/ this club. I am consistently disappointed in what appears to be a lack of ethics at the highest levels. If they sweep out the execs, and a few long time coaches, then maybe. Whoever oversaw the residency kids last year? Fire them. All of them. Don't care if it's someone I know or even respect, fire them all. Fire Lenarduzzi. While you are at it, Rachel Lewis (because you know she's involved in any legal situation that comes about), Greg Anderson, John Furlong (seriously, why is he still around?), and whoever the fcuk Don Ford is.

I so far like the MDS appointment, but there is a lot of rot in that organization that needs to be cleaned out. I'd be instantly back into loving my hometown team if they cleaned it out, and committed to Canadians properly. Not just lip service.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
\
You may need to tie yourself to a CPL squad to get that hometown feeling back. I'm very interested to see PFC this season, and seeing if that can spark something in me.

I hear ya!
A couple of weekend trips will be in the cards! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0