Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strong rumours say CPL -- Pacific to be exact.

With Whitecaps/MLS still paying him a portion of his salary he could be a bargain for a player of his experience.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm hoping Levis has a better year. Seems like he's always getting injured/hurt. Although I've always liked his attack minded nature, the dude has to get back to basics and defend well which at times he was terrible at. Big year for him.

Still no forwards signed! Don't we have some money from a certain sale to Bayern?? Our only recognized forward is Theo Bair....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190204-224444_Samsung Internet.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 6

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sorry, I'm supposed to have faith in their ability to find good young talent based on their track record?

Fcuk off.

Your point was that by signing a supposedly skilled player, he would get gooned by a guy like Waston in this league. And now you’re on about track record of signings. Hard to stay w you.....

I support the signing of high skilled players. I have no idea how this regime will do in that dept but hard to hang the previous record of signings on this new coach. And I agree that it’s a physical league but Waston was a red card waiting to happen, couldn’t keep up, couldn’t distribute out of the back.....but could win headers and could win tackles that he was able to get to. The tackles he couldn’t get to he converted into yellow cards on the regular.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm hoping Levis has a better year. Seems like he's always getting injured/hurt. Although I've always liked his attack minded nature, the dude has to get back to basics and defend well which at times he was terrible at. Big year for him.

Still no forwards signed! Don't we have some money from a certain sale to Bayern?? Our only recognized forward is Theo Bair....

Rumours currently say one incoming forward will be the return of Fredy Montero.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your point was that by signing a supposedly skilled player, he would get gooned by a guy like Waston in this league. And now you’re on about track record of signings. Hard to stay w you.....

I support the signing of high skilled players. I have no idea how this regime will do in that dept but hard to hang the previous record of signings on this new coach. And I agree that it’s a physical league but Waston was a red card waiting to happen, couldn’t keep up, couldn’t distribute out of the back.....but could win headers and could win tackles that he was able to get to. The tackles he couldn’t get to he converted into yellow cards on the regular.

Just as an aside, in Waston's first appearance with Cincinnati 21 minutes in, he was shown Red.

Happy that's behind us. Don't get me wrong, a lot of me liked what he brought, but he needed the perfect partner to make up for his short-comings, and that's not even counting his propensity to lose his shite. Last year, without Parker, he was badly exposed. It was painfully obvious, and you simply can't build a squad around a CB, that's foolishness. Even if they have one hell of a move, @Regs

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I gotta say, I'm in full-on man crush mode for MDS so far. I was cautiously intrigued and hopeful when Robo came in (those blue eyes, that accent, his sweaters, sigh...), but MDS and his terrible chicklets have me considering a complete switch of teams.

Firstly, cleaning house, but not just cleaning house, moving some guys along that needed to be moved along. Marcel deJong, for example. He started falling apart 1/2 way through last season, and I saw it simply as an age issue. He can no longer play at a consistently high pace, and he was getting torched my MLS wingers last season. He's never shied away from a tackle, but the late tackles started getting normal, and the PKs. He served the club well for his short time, but parting my mutual agreement was a good move.

Never mind sweeping out the South of America cartel...

Next move, maybe he has to move out Rusty, too. With Tiebert here, there is a glass ceiling for other- what I feel are- more talented, younger Canadians. Plus, he kinda played the role of the Rat at that last presser.

I'm interested in seeing if MDS lives up to his word on developing the home-growns. Robo never had the balls, unless it was a talent so bloody obvious and dominant such as AD. Excited to see what MDS does do. Are we going to see Colyn get some minutes? If you are good enough, you are old enough, right?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Overall I'm fine w/ Levis' game. He was getting better and better on the defending side towards the end.

For me, simply about making it through 90+ minutes. That's all. Give the kid a calf replacement.

Seriously, though...all those idiots out there that claim it makes no difference if they are playing on artificial turf or grass. Turf is murder on the Achilles, calves, ankles, knees, quads....

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Next move, maybe he has to move out Rusty, too. With Tiebert here, there is a glass ceiling for other- what I feel are- more talented, younger Canadians. Plus, he kinda played the role of the Rat at that last presser.

There's more talented younger Canadians playing in that midfield role? Highly debatable imo. He's still only 26. He had his best MLS season last year and the National team has put their trust in him to start and in a more attack minded position. I'd hold on to him for this season at least.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Right, Kendal Waston was a plug in MLS yet managed to play for Costa Rica at the World Cup... got it...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's more talented younger Canadians playing in that midfield role? Highly debatable imo. He's still only 26. He had his best MLS season last year and the National team has put their trust in him to start and in a more attack minded position. I'd hold on to him for this season at least.

He also lit up half the dressing room in the press at the end of the season. Granted some of them deserved it, but it's not the done thing and not what you want to do if you're looking to attract talent to a professional environment. Even some of the guys leaving who weren't lit up (Mutch, Marinovic) said as much...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know how many international roster spots they have? They must be planning on spending some of their allocation money on an extra spot or.... five...

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right, Kendal Waston was a plug in MLS yet managed to play for Costa Rica at the World Cup... got it...
Not a plug. Not a skilled footballer. But let’s get back to your original comment: see video of a new signing showing high technical ability....state that he’ll try that in MLS and get gooned by a guy like Waston. I would rather see the team try to bring in highly skilled footballers. Period. If they get gooned by a goon (ooooo I play for Costa Rica I’m so goooood) then they’re not actually quality are they. Time will tell. If they’re legi, a guy like Waston will never touch them. Fact. Think Waston could even lay a boot on Messi? Awaiting your argument that the S Korean is not Messi....

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Talent? Colyn. Baldissimo.

We have at least two if not three other CMs now that can do what Rusty does. He’s expendable. He has value. Move him along and invest in your future.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
He also lit up half the dressing room in the press at the end of the season. Granted some of them deserved it, but it's not the done thing and not what you want to do if you're looking to attract talent to a professional environment. Even some of the guys leaving who weren't lit up (Mutch, Marinovic) said as much...

I just watched the interview for the first time last night. He torched that dressing room! Wow. Was it the right thing to do?.. probably not. But I did appreciate the honesty. They had too many mercs who cared little about the club.

Talent? Colyn. Baldissimo.

You didn't add your favourite..Norman Jr!
I haven't seen these guys play, are they ready for MLS?

With Teibert we always saw him play second fiddle to better players and with a boring safety first approach. Last year he stepped up his game, looked more confident, was spraying the ball from one side of the field to the other, played more direct passes while still having to keep up the defensive intensity. Of course there's room for improvement, obviously. Having said that, why spend all those years investing and training him just to let him go when he's turning the corner?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just watched the interview for the first time last night. He torched that dressing room! Wow. Was it the right thing to do?.. probably not. But I did appreciate the honesty. They had too many mercs who cared little about the club.

You didn't add your favourite..Norman Jr!
I haven't seen these guys play, are they ready for MLS?

With Teibert we always saw him play second fiddle to better players and with a boring safety first approach. Last year he stepped up his game, looked more confident, was spraying the ball from one side of the field to the other, played more direct passes while still having to keep up the defensive intensity. Of course there's room for improvement, obviously. Having said that, why spend all those years investing and training him just to let him go when he's turning the corner?

I didn't add Norman Jr. because I don't know that he's a better talent- yet. I do think he's a prototypical #6, and is also built for it, so yes, I'd actually put more time into him than Rusty at this point.

Who knows if they are ready, you don't know until you play them. So, the way you'd have it, you leave them on the bench untill....when? When do you know they are ready without putting them in? Really? When? This is the question you need to answer for me.

Jon Erice, Hwang In-beom, Felipe Martins, Andy Rose, Norman Jr. are all guys that will slot into the center of the park in a 4-3-3 system. Same spot Rusty is battling for. Rusty in his current form MAY slot in ahead of Andy Rose and Norman Jr., that's about it. Not to mention Simon Colyn & Michael Baldisimo, who I feel are far more TALENTED than Rusty. Seasoned? Obviously not. Rusty has real experience, and that is a valuable chip.

Eight guys looking for time in those three spots. I see that likely Colyn & Baldisimo may need to play the wing to get in, not such a bad thing given pace is at a premium and the system is built to attack first.

I actually grew to like Rusty last season. He was way better, so I'm of the belief that Robo actually stunted him while here, which is a shame. I'm not one of these guys who have Russle Tiebert hate-on blinder on ( @mtkb ) no matter how well he does. I actually feel that, yeah, he has some value at the moment. He's considered a domestic, so deal him, and start getting these young guys some time.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
All good points @Dude .

There's definite competition for the central three and that's a good thing. I think Teibert starts or is the next best option right now. Having said that, I'm ignorant to the abilities of Erice or Rose..never heard of them actually. Haha

I think the up and comers should get real minutes in cup play. There are more teams in the Canadian championship now so there could be more minutes and game time(?). I'm not sure what the format is though.

I'm not against them from getting real MLS minutes but it can't be to the detriment of the team. They'll have to get the minutes when they can and wait for their opportunity. It's a long season so starters will need to get rotated and injuries may happen as well.
All the while they can stay fit and sharp with the second team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0