Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, so proving my point even further....once upon a time the VMSL All stars drew Sunderland when they were here on a pre-season tour.

It’s preseason. Means nothing.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Preseason means nothing. Coastal beat Rovers Tigers 7 or 8-1, the week before the season started. They went on to win Nationals a month later.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, so proving my point even further....once upon a time the VMSL All stars drew Sunderland when they were here on a pre-season tour.

It’s preseason. Means nothing.

That must have been a long time ago & the players then were a lot better than the players of today.
Just look no further than the representation of BC players in the National Team Program now. compared to those days.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did some digging around. The Allstars lost 1-0. The caps beat Sunderland 3-0. Sunderland didn't bring 6 starters. Still a good result for the Allstars.

My question is this, how do you think Mick Macarthy feels about losing a preseason game to the Whitecaps? Do you think he's telling his bosses, "it's preseason, it means nothing". Lol
Sunderland go on to get relegated that season dead last. I guess they should have taken preseason a little more seriously. :p

https://www.takethepiss.com/threads/sunderland-vs-pcl-vmsl-all-stars.7747/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...ancouver-whitecaps-3-sunderland-0-1582959.amp

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did some digging around. The Allstars lost 1-0. The caps beat Sunderland 3-0. Sunderland didn't bring 6 starters. Still a good result for the Allstars.

My question is this, how do you think Mick Macarthy feels about losing a preseason game to the Whitecaps? Do you think he's telling his bosses, "it's preseason, it means nothing". Lol
Sunderland go on to get relegated that season dead last. I guess they should have taken preseason a little more seriously. :p

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...ancouver-whitecaps-3-sunderland-0-1582959.amp

Ah, thanks. It was a long time ago. I remember sitting in the stands in Coquitlam and Millar was by far the loudest guy out there. I thought for sure that was a draw. Maybe since it was only 1-0 it felt like one. Still sort of makes my point. The Caps were in USL then, and an arguably lower quality version of today's USL. It'd be like a 6th div. Japanese team beating the Caps 3-1 in the Caps preseason. I will share your concern if, as we move through this pre-season, the squad isn't gelling enough for the March season KO.

And hey, you don't know exactly what the boss was looking for in those matches. Maybe it was to see how the kids reacted, maybe he gave instructions to his A guys to keep it friendly, while the other squad was out to prove something. Maybe the Sunderland boys were over here on a BC vacation getting bombed every night. Who knows.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

LOL. Thanks for the walk down memory lane! Jesus, I was actually at the Caps match as well! I remember it much more clearly now, I was watching from the old Southside with a bunch of old names from TTP / local footy scene.

Note to self: should have taken concussion protocol seriously.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah, thanks. It was a long time ago. I remember sitting in the stands in Coquitlam and Millar was by far the loudest guy out there. I thought for sure that was a draw. Maybe since it was only 1-0 it felt like one. Still sort of makes my point. The Caps were in USL then, and an arguably lower quality version of today's USL. It'd be like a 6th div. Japanese team beating the Caps 3-1 in the Caps preseason. I will share your concern if, as we move through this pre-season, the squad isn't gelling enough for the March season KO.

And hey, you don't know exactly what the boss was looking for in those matches. Maybe it was to see how the kids reacted, maybe he gave instructions to his A guys to keep it friendly, while the other squad was out to prove something. Maybe the Sunderland boys were over here on a BC vacation getting bombed every night. Who knows.

That was a pretty good All Star team and 1-0 is more than respectable for sure.

As for the Caps, they were a strong side if I recall and won the USL that year(?). Being a supporter of the local team and players, maybe they were good enough for MLS back then? Maybe that's the fanboy in me. haha

Hopefully we have a couple of good showings vs both LA teams coming up.

Maybe the Sunderland boys were over here on a BC vacation getting bombed every night. Who knows.
LOL!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know what? I am completely blanked. Fcuk me, this match was not the VMSL All Stars, it was team BC. ON the Island. I wasn't even there, but I was at the Caps match, for sure.

I think.

It's all a blur.

@Regs...what was that game that was held at Town Center? Was that Millwall? I think it was Millwall, and I'm gonna say that was a 1-1 draw. They were in Div. 1 then, I think? @machel ?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Milwall is the one that no one turned up to and BC Soccer took a massive bath due to the appearance fee they had guaranteed the visitors...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was Josh Simpson on their squad at that point? Maybe that was one of the reasons BCsoccer brought them in?
I know I wasn't in attendance for that game.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
still needs service, still not a great fit for a lone striker set-up... we'll see if MDS has the answer for one or both of those issues...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
still needs service, still not a great fit for a lone striker set-up... we'll see if MDS has the answer for one or both of those issues...

I believe Hwang In-Boom (sp?) is meant to be the provider. His highlights certainly indicate that. I would hope that is the main play, is that the attack flows through him. We’ll see if he’s the real deal.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not that footballers need to have power or size. But Montero and Hwang bang are 220lb on the same scale. Is Montero is playing up top alone? He is going to be on his own island again.
I can see these two getting pushed aside often if they are the two leading the lines.

Montero needs to be found in the box. Who’s holding up the ball for us?
Or in a two striker system?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not concerned. When he was with us before he had far less support and was still productive.

He’s become a very reliable poacher. He doesn’t need a hold up man if the attack allows the attacking mid and two wingers more licence. That’s where I believe this kid Hwang is going to shine, because he will be able to drive those front three and open up lanes. I expect far more playing along ground vs through the air this year.

Anyhow, excited to see a team using more speed and urgency in possession / going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0