Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 WC Qualifying

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
After our loss to the US we are now 15 FIFA points behind El Salvador and, therefore, out of the Hex as it stands.

We will have the two remaining FIFA windows in March and June to try and make up those points, but it will be difficult with points in friendlies not worth as much as points in an official confederation tournament (ie the Nations League). We also need to find countries that are 1) willing to play us, 2) ranked high enough in the FIFA table that a win helps us earn a decent number of points and 3) beatable.

Presumably this is all being frantically scheduled behind the scenes by CSA (one name I heard was Bolivia) but it is no doubt a challenge. These countries also need to have something worth playing for, plus there is the issue of where to host the games with European players having to travel etc.

All in all not an easy task. One that must be done, however, before we resign ourselves to the desperate, last gasp, single elimination, backdoor qualification chance CONCACAF has developed.

One idea though, what about a January camp with MLS and CPL players the way the US holds? Matches outside official FIFA windows are worth even less than regular friendlies, but El Salvador would not be playing so even if we only gain 3 or 4 points it still closes the gap. Of course the flip side being that if we lose we fall further back.

So the question is do we have enough talent in the MLS/CPL ranks to beat a minnow or two in January and try and grab a few precious points?

Players presumably available:
GK - Crepeau
GK - Carducci
DF - Breault-Guillard
DF - Cornelius
DF - Laryea
DF - K Millar
DF - Morgan
MF - Piette
MF - Osorio
MF - L Fraser
MF - Tiebert
MF - Johnson
MF - Kaye
ST - Jackson Hamel
ST - Tabla
ST - Ricketts
ST - Akindele

Plus probably some other younger academy kids or Can PL players (maybe that Borges kid who won MVP in Can PL?)

Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It’s it Bolivia we’d better hope for home or Neutral site.

Travel there is hell, and their National Stadium is I believe the highest elevation of all national stadiums in the world (12,000’ or so I believe), and in a hostile township. Visited it last year and couldn’t get back in the car fast enough.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many FIFA points would that be worth if we pull out the win?

January game probably means we don't have a "full strength" squad but then again, neither would Iceland :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think based on opponent strength, enough. I think it’s an excellent fit TBH.

What would prevent the Euros, Davies, David, and maybe Atiba? Phantom injuries conjured by club? FIFA mandates their release, no? Because this is the biggest match in the last 10-12 years. Far more than just a friendly.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many FIFA points would that be worth if we pull out the win?

January game probably means we don't have a "full strength" squad but then again, neither would Iceland :)

Couldn't find anywhere that mentioned the points but read that it is also about not losing any points and scheduling it as a training match?? I guess El Salvador also plays Iceland and the USA in January

@Dude from what I read playing in January is outside an official international window. Not sure what the rule actually means for players abroad???

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Regs unfortunately matches outside of FIFA windows are worth almost nothing. By my calculation we stand to pick up 3 points for a win, a draw might be good enough for a single point while a lost would cost us 2 points.

@akslop as far as I can tell the US is only playing Costa Rica this window, not El Salvador. If they do announce a match against El Salvador that would be massive for the Canadian neutrals cheering on our US neighbours, but I don't think that match is happening. Still, Iceland against El Salvador on Jan. 19 (four days after they play Canada) will be crucial. A Canada win and an El Salvador loss would be ideal and help us close the gap ahead of the March and June windows.

Also, I heard Canada might play a smaller Caribbean nation as well during this camp which might be worth a point or maybe two. That has not been announced though, so perhaps it is not happening. Still, it would make sense though as Canada soccer lists the camp as running January 4-16 with the Iceland game on Jan. 15. So potentially the chance to fit in another match there.

@Dude this is not an official FIFA window, so European teams are not required to release players, no fake injuries required. The roster is likely to be similar to the one I posted to start this thread, though, presumably you can add Cavellini now that he's with the 'Caps. The squad should be announced pretty ASAP given they plan to start camp on Sunday.

Iceland have already released their squad. It features almost exclusively players playing in the domestic Scandinavian leagues (ie no Sigurdsson etc.).

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Regs unfortunately matches outside of FIFA windows are worth almost nothing. By my calculation we stand to pick up 3 points for a win, a draw might be good enough for a single point while a lost would cost us 2 points.

@akslop as far as I can tell the US is only playing Costa Rica this window, not El Salvador. If they do announce a match against El Salvador that would be massive for the Canadian neutrals cheering on our US neighbours, but I don't think that match is happening. Still, Iceland against El Salvador on Jan. 19 (four days after they play Canada) will be crucial. A Canada win and an El Salvador loss would be ideal and help us close the gap ahead of the March and June windows.

Also, I heard Canada might play a smaller Caribbean nation as well during this camp which might be worth a point or maybe two. That has not been announced though, so perhaps it is not happening. Still, it would make sense though as Canada soccer lists the camp as running January 4-16 with the Iceland game on Jan. 15. So potentially the chance to fit in another match there.

@Dude this is not an official FIFA window, so European teams are not required to release players, no fake injuries required. The roster is likely to be similar to the one I posted to start this thread, though, presumably you can add Cavellini now that he's with the 'Caps. The squad should be announced pretty ASAP given they plan to start camp on Sunday.

Iceland have already released their squad. It features almost exclusively players playing in the domestic Scandinavian leagues (ie no Sigurdsson etc.).

You could be correct and I was seeing things. I've been drunk for well over a week now

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
NumberPositionNameClubAgeWhere They Grew UpTwitter & Instagram
-FBSamuel AdekugbeNOR / Vålerenga Fotball25Calgary, AB, CAN@SamAdekugbe
@samadekugbe
-FTesho AkindeleUSA / Orlando City S.C.28Thornton, CO, USA@Tesho13
-FTheo BairCAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC21Ottawa, ON, CAN@ttbair
@theloniusbair
-FBZorhan BassongBEL / Cercle Brugge KSV21Montréal, QC, CAN
-MTristan BorgesCAN / Forge FC Hamilton22Toronto, ON, CAN
-FCharles-Andreas BrymPOR / Belenenses SAD22Colombes, FRA
-GKMarco CarducciCAN / Cavalry FC (Calgary)24Calgary, AB, CAN@mcarducci96
@mcarducci96
-MJay Chapman26Campbellford, ON, CAN@jaychappers
-CBDerek CorneliusCAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC23Ajax, ON, CAN@d_cornelius13
@dcornelius13
-GKMaxime CrépeauCAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC26Candiac, QC, CAN@MaxCrepeau
-CBAmer DidićCAN / FC Edmonton26Sherwood Park, AB, CAN@amerdidic
-MLiam FraserCAN / Toronto FC22Vancouver, BC & Toronto, ON, CAN@Liam_Fraser27
@liamfraser27
-FBMarcus GodinhoGER / FSV Zwickau23Toronto, ON, CAN@Marcusgodi
@marcusgodi
-CBManjrekar JamesDEN / FC Fredericia27North York, ON, CAN@ManjrekarJames
@mjayyy08
-FBRichie LaryeaCAN / Toronto FC25Toronto, ON, CAN@RichieLaryea_
@richielaryea
-FBKamal MillerUSA / Orlando City S.C.23Scarborough, ON, CAN@KMillz_00
@kmillz_00
-FBAshtone MorganCAN / Toronto FC29Toronto, ON, CAN@ashtone_m
@morgscinqo
-FJayden NelsonCAN / Toronto FC II18Brampton, ON, CAN
-MNoble OkelloCAN / Toronto FC20Toronto, ON, CAN@tfcaboi
@nobleokello
-MJonathan OsorioCAN / Toronto FC28Brampton, ON, CAN@OsoJ92
@j_oso92
-GKJames PantemisCAN / Impact de Montréal23Montréal, QC, CAN
-MSamuel PietteCAN / Impact de Montréal26Le Gardeur, QC, CAN@samuelpiette
@samuelpiette
-FTosaint RickettsCAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC33Edmonton, AB, CAN@TosaintRicketts
@tosaintricketts
-FJacob ShaffelburgCAN / Toronto FC21Port Williams, NS, CAN
-MShamit ShomeCAN / Impact de Montréal23Edmonton, AB, CAN@shamit_shome07
-MRussell TeibertCAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC28Niagara Falls, ON, CAN

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think we'll be neutral. I see both us and El Salvador beating Iceland.

I like the fit of Iceland, but if El Salvador is playing in the same week / 10 days, and after us, they arguably have even a bigger advantage.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
No Kaye is unfortunate and no Cavallini I assume has something to do with his transfer or....? Not sure why he would not want to be a part of this camp.

Other than those two it's pretty much as expected, no?

Maybe would have been nice to see Ballou Tabla given another chance, but he was technically just on loan with Montreal so he is likely back at Barca B now and not available.

Others available but left out are Will Johnson, but i think his national team days might be done. I don't mind the like of Borges or other young guys ahead of him. Anthony Jackson-Hamel as an attacking option is maybe one you would have expected, but I'm not sure he's necessarily any better than the guys on that list.

Nice to see the return of Unattached FC though with Jay Chapman's inclusion. All this Canadian players being on "real teams" was getting a bit dry...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, side note, it appears my source was correct about playing a Carribean country. Not one but TWO matches against Barbados added for Jan 7 and 10.

It will be very interesting to see how Herdman uses the squad for all of this. The dream scenario would have us win all three picking up 6 or so points and then have El Salvador lose a few points.

One can dream...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Canucks4Ever

"Herdman did not fulfil all of his domestic wish list with Lucas Cavallini (Vancouver), Mark-Anthony Kaye (LAFC) and Anthony Jackson-Hamel (Montreal) recovering from injuries ahead of MLS training camps."

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts