Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AFTN’s subscription only podcast “There’s Still (Extra) Time” hits year two [Subscribe Today!]

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
AFTN’s subscription only podcast “There’s Still (Extra) Time” hits year two [Subscribe Today!]

AFTN’s subscription only podcast “There’s Still (Extra) Time” celebrates it’s birthday today and moves into year two.

It’s our chance to bring you extra content and your chance to help support AFTN with a small financial subscription in return.

The first year of the ‘Extra’ podcasts seemed to go down well. We covered a wide range of issues over 12 episodes including Vancouver Whitecaps discussion, player interviews, the Canadian national team, the Canadian Premier League, the 2026 World Cup bid, and more.

If you were a subscriber, we hope you enjoyed them. If you weren’t we’d love you to consider being one.

As we all know, the media landscape is quickly changing in this modern age, and this appears to be very much true when it comes to the world of Vancouver Whitecaps coverage, and seemingly soccer in general in our country.

The Province still does a great job, but their resources are severely stretched. Josh Clipperton, who covered the team for Canadian Press, is moving east to Toronto. There’s two sports radio stations in town, but they’re seldom at training. In fact few people usually are. There’s been many times this past year where there’s been less than three of us non ‘Caps people in attendance. I’ve often been the only one there, which I admit, I do kind of enjoy!

We’re lucky to have some fantastic independent online websites, blogs, and podcasts, with AFTN proud to lead the way. We also want to step up our coverage even more this year, but we can’t do all that we’d like to without your continued support.

We currently number a team of 12, with a couple of others on the fringes. We hope to add more soon. None of the writers, photographers, and podcasters make any money directly from AFTN, and many of them are actually out of pocket by doing what they do for us. But we do it for a love of the game and a belief in the quality coverage AFTN provides. And it has opened doors to other opportunities for some of us, for which we’re thankful.

I’ve always hated AFTN having advertising and sponsorship. We shunned it completely in our fanzine days, although we eventually succumbed to adding a couple of Google ads on the site and may opt in to run some ads on the podcast (which all give neglible returns in all honesty, but we’re going to try them and see). Ultimately though, as much as I hate asking people for money, we’re going to do an annual fundraiser piece and that’s what you’re reading just now!

We want to continue to bring you the best Whitecaps and local soccer coverage around. That means more ‘Caps coverage, at all levels, to take up the void left by the disappearing mainstream media. More coverage of the local game like TSS FC Rovers, VMSL, VISL, FVSL, Provincial Soccer, the local college teams, along with the Canadian national teams and Canadian Premier League.

To help fund that all of that, we’ve looked at various ways of monetizing AFTN. None of it really sits that comfortably with me, but it’s the only way to make it happen and not spread ourselves too thin.

We decided against launching a Patreon campaign (for now at least), or some other kind of crowdsourcing campaign as well. We are open to having a main podcast sponsor, so if any business or venture out there is interested, get in touch!

Which brings it all back to our ‘Extra’ podcasts and how we’d love as many of you as possible to subscribe. Here’s all the details….

WHAT WILL THE MONEY BE USED FOR?:

In a nutshell, primarily costs. Our website and podcast hosting first and foremost, along with subscriptions we need to pay to certain bodies.

We also want to keep growing AFTN. Every year we try and add something new and expand into something a bit different. Last year it was going onto CiTR Radio and also providing commentary for WFC2. TSS Rovers, and UBC Thunderbirds. This year we plan to do some more video work, and will be using funds raised from these podcast subscriptions to buy some equipment to enable us to do that.

The ideal scenario will be to raise enough to do all that and pay some gas and/or parking expenses to some of the team that travel far and wide to bring us material.

We also have plans to up our coverage when the new Canadian Premier League gets underway.

HOW MUCH DOES THIS COST?:

Our pricing structure will remain as follows (all prices are in Canadian dollars):

A 12 month subscription – $30 per year [12 months for the price of 10, based on the monthly subscription rate]
Monthly subscription – $3 per month

Individual episodes – $3 per episode [some months will have more than one episode]
Each subscription will auto-renew at the end of the your 12 month or 1 month billing cycle unless you cancel, which you can do at any time free of charge.

The only commitment will be for the duration of the time period you subscribe. There will be no cancellation or refund requests accepted, but if we stop the service before the end of your subscription period, we will refund any remaining months pro-rata. The current pricing structure may increase down the road, but if you take the annual option you’ll naturally be locked in at that price point until renewal.

WHAT WILL I BE GETTING FOR MY MONEY?:

Last year we looked at doing at least 12 ‘Extra’ shows over the annual subscription period. We achieved that, although not necessarily hitting the one per month.

I don’t want to put a number on it this year, but we’re aiming for around the same. The reason I don’t want to definitively say one per month or whatever is we want to put out a quality product. We feel we did, but we don’t want to be forced to bring something out if the material isn’t quite there.

We’re aiming for each show to be 30 minutes in length minimum. Some will likely be way more, some may be a tad less. Hopefully all will be enjoyable though!

And the actual content?

Well we plan to continue in the same vein, with full conference calls, some player interviews, AFTN discussions, and whatever else we can think of. We may even throw in a Wavelength special! But we want to hear what you want to hear. Let us know what kind of stuff you’d like in the ‘Extra’ episodes.

We do a lot of conference calls with coaches, players, and the game’s movers and shakers. We’re never able to bring you those in full in the podcast or even use that much of what is said in written articles. There’s often a lot of interesting stuff, especially insight, background, and analysis, discussed that just goes nowhere. We hope we remedied that a little.

You can check out what we brought you in year one HERE to see if it’s up your street or not.

HOW WILL I GET THE PODCASTS DELIVERED TO ME?:

Depending on the popularity of this (and how many subscribe) we may have to switch this service to our usual podcast hosts at Podbean down the line and podcasts will be delivered via a RSS feed like the normal free show.

But as of right now, we’re wanting to continue to do it all in-house in the DIY spirit that AFTN has always adhered to. Plus it takes away all the middleman’s fees, which are a biggish chunk. It seemed to work well in year one, with no issues reported.

What that means to you dear listeners is that we’ll send you the file to download and save to your device of choice via a service called WeTransfer. We’ll email you a download link once each show is available (make sure it doesn’t go into your junk folder). We’ll use the email address from your paypal payment, but if you want to use a different email, let us know. This link will be valid for seven days but don’t worry, if you somehow don’t download the episode in that time period, just let us know and we can re-send it through at any time that month.

Files will be sent as mp3’s and saved at a 192kbps bitrate quality barring any original source issues. If you want the file smaller than this (at 128kbps), let us know and we will send it through at that quality instead.

OKAY, I’M IN. LET’S GET THIS STARTED:

Ready to support AFTN in this venture?

If you’re an existing subscriber, your subscription will automatically renew from either today or from whatever day you signed up.

If you want to be a new subscriber (or if you cancelled auto renew and want to start again), then you can sign up via one of the methods below. We’ll also have a separate sign up article/page for each episode once it comes out.

12 month recurring annual subscription ($30 per year):

pixel.gif

Recurring monthly subscription ($3 per month):

pixel.gif

If you don’t have paypal and want to pay a different way, or if you have any further questions about the service, then drop us a line at: aftncanada @ hotmail.com.

If you have no interest in getting the podcast, but do want to help the site, then you can find details of how to donate HERE.

Thanks for reading this far and for your support. We hope to continue to entertain and inform.

Read Further on AFTN.ca

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@GoF

Your podcast gets me through my weekly commutes between Whistler and Langley. Some seriously good soccer nerdery going on there.

If I can suggest a Provincial Cup special, get Rob Reed and Dave Hleuka @knvb in, feed them a 6 pack, and sit back. That would be seriously a lot of fun.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0