Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC High School Boys Soccer 2012

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A little late perhaps.....:rolleyes: but tomorrow is the final of the AAA Provincial Boys High School season. Charles Best, who is playing in its' third straight final(they were banned last year from competing due to sanctions) will be playing against another Coquitlam school, Terry Fox. It really is amazing the talent that Metro Ford keeps putting through these Coquitlam schools, particularly Charles Best. They played Tamanawis in the semi-final this afternoon and won 2 - 1. The difference in my opinion was that Charles Best rested the majority of its' first team because it had already qualified after two games due to the other teams beating each other. Tamanawis was ALSO in the same position but they chose to not rest their starters and they played most of their last game against Oak Bay. In the end, the depth of Charles Best came through and walked away deserved winners on the day. They have a GREAT goalie and Jonesy's son is huge for them in the middle of the park. I know that 3 or 4 grade 12s chose not to play this year for their team and that it would have been even better but this is great for all the kids who chose to play for the school. Dave does a great job keeping their heads level and that goes a long way in school soccer.
Terry Fox has put together a nice little run in the tournament too and had to come back from 2 - 0 down in the second half to beat Burnaby South on PKs. I saw this team play Tamanawis in the Valley final and on that day, they were no match for Tamanawis losing 6 - 2 but they seem to be playing with more confidence right now and actually beat Charles Best in the Fraser Valley tournament. Having said that, it has been a great season for both teams and if I had to pick who was going to win tomorrow I would go with Charles Best based on what I saw today and the fact that the Charles Best keeper is so dominant. They have a great junior team too which won the Fraser Valley Championships also. They will be a power for many years to come......And I hear Terry Fox is mostly grade 11s so they will be looking forward to a great year next year.......as will Tamanawis as they are loaded with grade 11s this season also.

Overall, it's been an enjoyable tournament and the final starts at 11:45 tomorrow at Burnaby Lake for anyone interested in watching the Coquitlam derby match. Tamanawis plays Burnaby South for 3rd place at 11:00 but will be missing two center midfielders who were given red cards after the game for their protesting to the referee.........can anyone guess who it was?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Charles Best 1 Terry Fox 0 - Overall, it was a scrappy game as both teams struggled to get any flow but Charles Best deserved the win in the end. Quite an accomplishment winning three in a row and a special congratulations to Jonesy's son, who received the MVP honours for the tournament. It is great to see when community coaches and school coaches work together both knowing there is importance to playing school soccer. Charles Best has obviously figured this out and that is why they have been successful in so many recent tournaments. The kids were well-behaved too and were respectful of their opponents and that is a credit to Dave Jones, who runs the team. Well done to Charles Best and Terry Fox for making the final. I'm sure they will both be thereabouts next year too along with Tamanawis.

old fart

Sep 15, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don,t understand Handsworth lost first game 1-0 to Charles Best.and go on to win 4 straight games and finish 5 how can this be .Do you know CS....THANKS

old fart

Sep 15, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks RL RCD but still doesn't make much to play for if you lose one game in your group.Should have some way you can fight back and still have a chance to medal,bronze,silver,maybe gold if you beat the team you lost to twice......just my thoughts

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Old Fart, only the top team from each pool goes through. It is something that I have been trying to have changed over the last lot of years. Sometimes two of the best teams get put in the same pool and that means one of them is not going to have a chance. The argument for not taking the top two in each group is that there would have to be one more game and the kids already play 5 games in two and half days. It also means you would have to start the tournament the night before and quite often the fields aren't available. The same thing happened to our team last year. We lost the first game 1 - 0 and went on to win our next 4 also to finish fifth place.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks again to Captain and the other organizers for putting on such a great tournament. you guys did a fantastic job!

Thanks to coaches Dave Jones and Giovanni Valente for all their time and effort they put into the team. After all the controversy, injury to a star player just before the tournament and player defections, they handled it all with class. They always asked how much my players could play in each game and were always concerned about their play to rest ratio. As a BCSPL coach and former high school coach, it was very much appreciated. You guys deserved it!

Playing for their school IS important to them and their identity. Tomorrow they go to school as rockstars and will be until...I don't know... someone wins the spelling bee or the air-bands competition next week and they will become the rockstars but nothing will take away from this weekend. They will remember it forever!

Thanks again Captain! Now to get my boy down off the ceiling although I love seeing that smile that can sometimes go missing with moody teenagers!

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
... The same thing happened to our team last year. We lost the first game 1 - 0 and went on to win our next 4 also to finish fifth place...

Over the years I have seen some great teams missing the opportunity to win because of a single tie. Anyway, every school knows very well the rules and that you have to be, first of all, the first in your group to go to the semi-finals. After that you have to win two more games. So, five games in 3 days and that is what makes it really special! Hard to win and the boys who win it will remember it for the rest of their lives.

Players who, for whatever reason, choose not to play for their school have no clue what they are missing.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts