Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best of Fish & Chips

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's just something about hot & sunny weather that goes well with fish & chips. For that reason, I figured it'd be useful to have a handy list of joints that serve some quality sea grub and deep-fried potato bits.

Close to home, I've always been happy with the flavour and grease dished out by the Vancouver Parks Board concession stands at every beach. Perhaps it's just the childhood nostalgia of the pale yellow cardboard it's still served in.

Although it's been a while -- as far as restaurants go, I remember the Cheshire Cheese always being worth the money.

But above all, the all-time Lower Mainland best has got to be (and please help me with the name) Hojo's, Banjo's, Pajo's, Pogo's, or whatever it's called located literally on the water at the Steveston docks. They still serve it up in newspaper full of chips and topped with your choice of greasy cod or halibut. Wicked.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crescent beach has some nice fish and chip joints. Best bang for your buck would be at Raf's. the other 2 are straight fish and chip joints but the prices are just ridiculous but the food is great.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jesus on a moped help me for saying this, but Kelly O's deep fries Nemo like nobodies business.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby-- Penny Farthings.........or at least they were.........buckfast???
WhiteRock-- Moby Dicks.......by far the best! Even better with the onion rings. :bronco: :bronco:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best Ever - Cockney Kings in Burnaby at Kensington Square, even have all you can eat Cod and Chips on Monday to Wednesday. But I like the Halibut the best, can't beat 2 piece and chips, magic.

As for the Rock, Moby Dicks is great, it is Alaska Cod and not as fatty as Ling, but it is all cooked in oil anyway. Great Tartar at Moby's, so get a tub of it too. Nice down at the Beach, but watch out for the birds.

hos mmmmmmmmmmChips

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Crab Shack!!!! North Vancouver! On Dollerton Hwy!!!

By far the best ever!!!!!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of SeeFood, they used to serve up some fantastic Bearded Clam outside the Roxy years ago, not sure if that still happens anymore or if Bearded Clam even exists.

hos

Please no Red Tide jokes.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
"The Only" Cafe, 20 East Hastings. Situated in the heart of Vancouver's skids, this place has (or at least used to I haven't been there in a while) great fish and chips, oyster stew, and oustanding manhattan style clam chowder served with warm french bread. Be warned though, it has no washroom, a number of schizophrenic patrons, barbed wire over the window above the front door and is in the middle of crack central. Make it a night with a bowl of chowder, maybe a game of low ball upstairs at the Lumberman's Club, across the street for a glass (they drink glasses, with white serving lines, not pints down here), on the red terry-clothed tables across the street at the Dodson Hotel, maybe throw in a pickled egg, and then get a smokin' deal on a watch over at BC Collateral. Cap the night off with a slice of pie a la mode (and ask them to throw a little ice cream on it while you're at it :p ) with a cup of the hottest cup of coffee ever served from the big stainless steel coffee urn in one or those old fashioned white porcelain thick cups (with saucer) at the booth with its own little juke box up at the Blue Eagle Cafe at 139 East Hastings.

Livin' Large.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right then...

Yes Hos, Cockney Kings. Choice of deep fried cod, halibut, or salmon. Paper wrap & mushy peas to boot.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to eat deep fried grouper, take it. Best fish n' chip, erm...fish...ever.

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cockney Kings in New West hands down! Penny Farthing was good back in the day when it had the quality service and good crack from TB. Uncle Herberts in Ladner would be my 2nd pick. The set up inside is incredible-very British.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cockney Kings has been mentioned a few times now in this forums. I'm in New West almost daily -- where is this restaurant?

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
gonna have to go with CodFather (clark and North road) in Burnaby....very good even if I do say so myself! fish, chip, mushy peas.....all washed down with a pint of ale....yummmmmy :D

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
we dont have many options in maple ridge but austin F / C is way better than the sea shanty they even do mushy peas and gravy they tase great and make you fart for days after just like in the old country :D

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bluebird said:
we dont have many options in maple ridge but austin F / C is way better than the sea shanty they even do mushy peas and gravy they tase great and make you fart for days after just like in the old country :D
what about codfathers in burquitlam plaza?anyone!

blue birds make good submarines I hear ;) :D

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
Cockney Kings has been mentioned a few times now in this forums. I'm in New West almost daily -- where is this restaurant?

Behind the London Drugs, on 10th just off Columbia. Monday through Wednesday all you can eat cod suppers.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts