Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blackberry Storm vs iPhone vs Palm Pre

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been reading reviews on each and am close to buying one.

Does anyone here have either? I know RF has the iPhone, anyone else?

For those with a Blackberry that isn't a Storm, what do you like about it?

Thanks!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have an iPhone and I love it. It is the best toy I ever purchased. When I bought it I thought for sure that I was going to jail-break it so I could install all the unlicensed 3rd party apps, but it's so well-featured and there are enough free apps that it hasn't been necessary.

My complaints:
The camera cannot take videos (this could potentially be upgraded in the future with a software update)
There is no flash for the camera
Occasional freezes (but I would guess that's more the apps than the phone)
You cannot multitask apps. Once you exit the app it is no longer running, although some of them save state so it can be restored when you start them again.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've got a Palm Treo. It's great if you want to do curls while at the desk and makes a great paper weight...maybe even boat anchor.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Got rid of my Blackberry Curve for the i-phone. Best thing I ever did. The typing takes a bit of getting used to, but the phone is a dream. Emails and websites actually look like the originals, not some truncated mobile version. Add in the fact that I have the 2 gig plan (business writeoff) :D and I have no fear of ever going over the data usage.....

:bronco:

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have a buddy who just got the Bold, and has said it's the best phone he's ever had, and chose it over the iPhone. Another friend has some issues with the Storm but overall is happy with it. Personally, I have enough Apple products that I would like to have the iPhone as well, but Telus doesn't carry it. My original Blackberry is due for an upgrade in February so more insight would be great.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I got the Bold about a month ago and it's a technogical wet dream.

I’m a Rogers guy so the iphone, Bold or Curve were my options… I couldn’t lower myself and get the poor mans Blackberry Curve; KNVB says with distain for inferior technology. I checked out the iphone first (Dad’s) and liked it, but I couldn’t deal with the touch screen typing, it was serious wind up. Not to mention I would lose sleep trying not to scratch the damn thing being top to bottom display screen.

The 3G is really fast and the graphics on the large 3” ( I tell my wife 3" is large too) display screen are unreal…and with my 500MB plan makes it nearly unlimited use was the way to go for me. It's also A LOT easier to use than the Curve and has much more of a (lack of better word).... "professional" feel to it and it’s really clean and sleek in they way the icon's are displayed and set up. Sexy really.

I hear the storm is the poor man’s Iphone. I say stick with the originals if you’re going that way. The storm is also a Bell and Telus exclusive I believe.

Attachments

• blackberry%20bold.jpg
    blackberry%20bold.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 93

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am also looking into purchasing a new phone through work. I find old phone very reliable but I need something a little more pocket size.

Attachments

• Motorola_Cellular-One_Cell-Phone_web.jpg
    Motorola_Cellular-One_Cell-Phone_web.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 87

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
disclaimer:

• corporate phone support guy (amongst other things...:rolleyes:)
  • Pearl user; former Palm user
  • wife has Treo 700 (Windows version) and Curve
Dial: Treo with Palm O/S was great. Treo with Windows sucks. Wife's Treo is now the navigation unit in our car (last thing I got her for it was a GPS add-on).

Pearl keyboard is too small, so I don't send a lot of email from it unless absolutely necessary to convince other work users that I'm still at work (or doing work-related stuff).:D Curve keyboard is small, but got used to it and can now type proficiently on it. I have a couple of Bold users here too; they all seem to like the phone because of the separated keys (all have used former smaller models of Crackberries).

What I did like about the Pearl: small form factor, and good with batteries (unless you start using it as a media player like I am). Camera resolution varies with model. Dislikes: stock media player (only one song/movie at a time), no capability to "beam" information to another unit, lack of Canadian English support.

Regs: RIM is supposed to have another touch-screen model out soon called the "Thunder."

ring ring...

Trece

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Blackberry Thunder

I am a poor man so i've been trying to decide on the pearl or curve. Trece, info is very helpful. I know the Curve isn't much bigger than the Pearl but it just doesn't seem to be pocketable and i'm not sure i want it hanging on my hip all day.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've got the Curve. I spoke to a guy I know at one of the Bell stores. He has tried them all and told me that the Curve is the best one out there. $49.99 if tied in to the 3 year contract of course. I use mine and love it...the wife may say different as it takes away from our time together.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've had the iPhone for over a year now and love it. The insane amount of applications that you can download as well as the quality of them are fantastic. Everything syncs with your computer so the chance of losing your contacts, photos, applications, music, etc. are slim and none. If you're getting an iPod, definitely get the 16GB - you can run out of room pretty quick with a 8GB model.

A guy here at work has a Storm and is not that impressed. It's got some cool features and I believe for an extra $8 or whatever a month, you can get live streaming NHL as well as a bunch of other streaming TV channels. However, he doesn't like the fact that you have to 'depress' the screen to activate an application or 'type a letter' when you're texting.

iPod hands down :wa:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was one of the first ever on a mobile e-mail device. Had an Audiovox, then moved on to a Treo 650.

Since hiring my manceptionist, I am now back to a crappy little cell phone. No idea if it is digital, analogue, or monologue. Not sure if it has e-mail capability, not sure how many giggawatts. Pretty sure it runs off 440/60/3v power, but not sure.

Manceptionist take messages on little pink message slips (purely co-incidental it's pink. Pink slips were on sale at Staples. So fcuk off with the manceptionist / pink message slip analogy. Just fcuk off, okay?). I also have my Toshiba lap-top, which I leave at work most days.

I love not being available for people to e-mail me 100% of the time. I hate people.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0