Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bobby Lenarduzzi hails trailblazing Whitecaps and slams “short term” view when it comes to...

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bobby Lenarduzzi hails trailblazing Whitecaps and slams “short term” view when it comes to Canadian player development – “It’s not going to happen overnight”

Canadian player development.

Such a strange subject, for depending on who you discuss with it (and we’re talking football people here not the lady serving at your local fishmongers!) it’s a topic that will either draw heated discussion and be a real hot potato issue, or one that exudes complete indifference.

We should all care. It’s our country, it’s our domestic game, it’s our future talent pool.

But just how much we should care does somewhat rely on where you stand on the whole club v country debate.

We’ve made our feelings known on this a lot over the years. That’s a debate (again) for a whole other day, but in summary, we’re always club before country. Whether that be my home one of Scotland or my adopted one of Canada, that feeling is the same.

We’re a Whitecaps site. Ultimately, we don’t care what country the Whitecaps players come from, we want to see a winning side and the best players making the squad and getting the playing time because of their talent, not their passport.

That said, we also absolutely love it when “one of our own” makes it and a youth player we’ve followed, talked to and supported from the Residency ranks comes through the pathway to the first team. That’s why this site is packed with coverage of the ‘Caps USL, U18 and U16 teams.

For others, country comes first and Canadian clubs, whether at MLS, NASL or USL level should primarily be concerned with developing homegrown talent to help the national team and help Canada qualify for another World Cup. Always easy to say when it’s not your money being spent on running said club.

And for those people, the Whitecaps can do no right. How dare they play South American talent when there’s Canadians that should be playing? How dare they actually do what they exist for and try and win trophies and make playoffs by playing their best players?

The irony of it all, is that if you look at the Whitecaps developmental pyramid and its aims, the national team actually sits at the top of the pyramid, with the MLS team nestling in underneath. That doesn’t fit their narrative though.

Homegrown player development has been at the forefront of the Whitecaps since the current ownership group took over. The club deem it as a success goal but feel that it’s still very much an ongoing process.

“Once Greg Kerfoot and Jeff [Mallett] and the two Steves [Nash and Luczo] got involved, it was really a primary focus for us,” Whitecaps President Bobby Lenarduzzi told media at an executive roundtable on Monday. “We wanted to be a club that developed players and as a result of that, we invested significantly in it. I think we have been trailblazers in MLS.

“When we entered the league, our questions were actually related to what can we do with player development and we were actually getting back from them not a lot of information because clubs hadn’t been interested in developing players. When you look at what’s going on now, I think we were the catalyst to get that going.”

The ‘Caps admit that it hasn’t all been smooth sailing and there have been errors made to get to where they are at right now.

“In our regard, we started up and I can be the first to tell you that we made mistakes along the way because we didn’t have a model in North America to follow,” Lenarduzzi added. “We couldn’t emulate what they do in Europe because they don’t have scholarship opportunities there.

“They have infrastructure, they have league play. We didn’t have any of that. So we’ve actually come a long way in that regard and I think we’re starting to see the benefits of that now.”

Indeed they are.

The Whitecaps now lead the league in homegrown talent on their MLS roster, a stat Lenarduzzi says makes him “very proud”. It currently stands at eight and counting. The ultimate goal is to have 50% of the MLS roster made up of homegrown, developed players in a five to ten year timeframe.

This season is shaping up to see the highest percentage of minutes played by Canadians for the Whitecaps in the MLS era (get all the stats on that on the excellent Out Of Touch blog).

Again, that doesn’t fit the whole narrative for those that feel that the Whitecaps don’t do enough (anything?) for Canadian soccer.

Neither does the excellent work done by the ‘Caps in their Residency program in producing the talent that packs Canada’s U23, U20 and youth teams.

It’s at national team level that the naysayers point figures. Why aren’t the three Canadian MLS clubs packed to the brim with Canadian players? That’s what Benito Floro certainly feels judging by his pre-Gold Cup media conference call where he described MLS as “a foreign league” out to help the “American program”.

“We have three teams who are playing in MLS,” Floro added. “But only two or three players are starting. That’s a bad position for us, no?”

To be fair, he is correct. But is that the fault of the clubs or a good indication that the players aren’t good enough for that level compared to who else is on their squads?

If he wants the answer, he should look at his recent results with Canada.

Right now there are 10 MLS players on Canada’s Gold Cup squad. Only one of them is a Whitecap, Russell Teibert, and he’s not a starter under Floro. So is that the ‘Caps fault as well?

The solution for Floro is a Canadian league. That would also appear to be the path that the Canadian Soccer Association want to go down. All the murmurs points to the CSA establishing a D1 Canadian league, with an announcement imminent.

Canada DOES need a national domestic league. Just not a top tier one. There is no way it can rival Major League Soccer right now, despite what the fantasists and idealists would have you believe.

A 2026 World Cup bid aside, a domestic league is the only way to grow the game here and have a decent place for young Canadian talent to play and develop when they’re not good enough to be part of the Whitecaps, TFC or Impact set-ups.

As far as Lenarduzzi is concerned, going for such a top tier league right now is not the correct way to go.

“As far as a domestic league goes, we have a USL team,” Lenarduzzi said. “We have teams below our MLS teams that are developing players and, in all three [MLS club] cases, the majority of players that are playing in those teams are young Canadian players.

“So if we’re talking about the short term and the lack of MLS players on the Canadian roster, that’s unfortunately a short term view because it’s not going to happen overnight. It takes time to develop players.

“So in terms of four and eight year cycles, I think the next one you’ll see some of the players from the Canadian teams as part of that national team that are currently trying to qualify. The next cycle, my hope is that if we’re all doing our jobs properly that there’s going to be more players to pick from.

“As far as the Canadian league option goes, I don’t think there’s a real need for it quite frankly.”

You can picture the pitchforks being readied in some circles already!

But he is correct. A D1 league does not instantly make these players world beaters overnight. Neither does playing against players of a similar ilk. They need to be challenged by top talent and be exposed to CONCACAF players and their style to succeed at international level. A D2 or D3 tier development league, in addition to the existing NASL and USL clubs would seem to be the more realistic way to go. Even having Edmonton and Ottawa moving to this new Canadian league would make sense and run it as a tier below MLS.

And talking of the USL sides, the initial rumblings around the new Canadian league seem to indicate that the CSA want to have teams in the three big markets of Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.
Support and sustainability-wise, Vancouver would struggle to support a new side as far as we’re concerned, so could there be pressure or a mandate from the CSA to force the ‘Caps to move their USL team to a new Canadian league?

“That’s probably a question that you should ask the CSA,” Whitecaps Vice President of Soccer Operations Greg Anderson told us. “But I don’t think it’s something that they can mandate. We’ve had sanctioning of our USL team and I’m sure it’s something that we could work through with the CSA if they wanted to take that step to start the league.”

While many would have you believe that the CSA are unhappy with the Whitecaps for their perceived lack of commitment to the Canadian program, the relationship between the two parties is in fact strong.

“I think it’s good,” Lenarduzzi said. “From our perspective, as a club, and the three MLS clubs, someone has to develop the players and you’re not just going to snap your fingers and have development emerge overnight.

“So there needs to be a patience there. We’re all relatively new at it, but I do think over time, there will be the fruits of the labour that will start to be clear. Russell Teibert is a great example of that. Sam Adekugbe is another example of that.”

You can also add in the likes of Kianz Froese, Marco Bustos, and others, who are just going to get stronger as the years go on and undoubtedly play their part for both the ‘Caps and Canada.

The Whitecaps are more than doing their bit for the development of Canadian soccer. Don’t let the naysayers tell you otherwise.

Read Further on AFTN.ca

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the media gallery (when you have over an hour to spare :eek: ) :

Midseason media roundtable by Regs posted Tuesday at 6:55 PM

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
“As far as the Canadian league option goes, I don’t think there’s a real need for it quite frankly.”

Does anyone else see a problem with this comment especially after the debacle that the national program just went through?

For anyone to think that 3 MLS teams and 2 NASL teams which have very little commitment to play Canadians as it isn't a priority of any of them (which I agree with) and 3 USL Pro teams with a quota of Canadians (that they don't always meet) is gonna be all that we need to become competitive in CONCACAF, has to be delusional.

What the Whitecaps have set up is excellent (from a first hand point of view) but what we need is much, much more opportunities to help develop a bigger player pool. A Canadian Soccer League with a set of standards similar or close to the Whitecaps would certainly help. Should they compete against the Whitecaps? In league play? Absolutely not. The CSA and the Whitecaps have harnessed their wagon to a different, prettier horse years ago and have every right to ride that horse. In Cup play (Amway Cup or whatever it's called)? Absolutely just like the US Open Cup.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From a business POV I see where he is coming from.

But that is all.

Surely, that can't be his true private, non-business thought?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a comments that stinks of self-preservation. Protecting himself, protecting his access to players, protecting his team, and it's league.

Of course we need this league. It's not the need that is up for debate, it is the "how" that is the question...

salute

Jul 1, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whitecaps is a MLS team, the MLS belongs to the US, so for me Whitecaps are not a Canadian team they are from Vancouver but whatever they are doing its not helping Canada or B.C. or our young talents in B.C. so of course it is not in his interest to have a strong league in Canada because he would have to go again from the beginning. My question is how many B.C. boys are in the first team roster of the Whitecaps. I seen many players in the PDL and Residency program in the last 6 years but not one of them however talented they are, are not playing in WC first team, Bob can be immensely proud, and his bosses are probably proud of him but that does not help our country progress to the next world cup whenever thats gonna happen. Yes it cant happen over night but it did not happen in the last 15 years since im here so i hope there is gonna be some progress in the next 15 years. Yes we do not have the structure like in Europe but you can create everything if you want to, and if you have the will. We do need a league any kind of league because there is so many young boys that want to play on a high level, they might not be right away on the level of whitecaps but with better coaches, cup plays and experience they will get better with time, everybody gets better.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's the thing...I don't think anyone is saying it needs to be at the MLS level! I think the general consensus it needs to be a true div. 2 level (I know there is acknowledgement that NASL is div 2, and USL div 3, but really, they are one and the same- the domestic pro leagues where former MLS players go to die), and it needs to be catered to and for the Canadian player, with the goal in mind to develop more Canadian professionals.

Everyone says the CMNT fell off the map when the old NASL died, since the last (only) WC we made was 1986. Truth is, we started falling off the map when the CSL folded. In the early '90s, Mexico was considered the class of CONCACAF, the US behind, and Canada not far behind them. The closest (and for me, most heartbreaking) was for the 1994 WC. Ironically, led by the Duzz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team#1990s . I remember watching that game in Mexico, thinking we were so close...then the game in Australia. I remember thinking that it was all for not, since Argentina awaited, but still, there may have been a tear shed that day.

"......Canada came close to qualifying for the World Cup again in 1994 under the guidance of a defender on the 1986 team, Bob Lenarduzzi. They entered the tournament at the second round stage and advanced as group runners-up. Canada competed strongly in the final qualifying round, drawing their first match in Tegucigalpa after a controversial penalty allowed the Hondurans to draw even, winning their next two, over El Salvador and Honduras in Vancouver, losing convincingly at Azteca Stadium, and winning 2–1 in San Salvador. They went into their final group match against Mexico, in Toronto, needing a win to win the group and thus qualify directly for the World Cup. Canada went up 1–0 on a goal credited to Alex Bunbury off a corner, but Mexico scored twice in the second half to win, 2–1. The loss meant Canada finished second and advanced to an intercontinental play-off series where they needed to win two rounds to qualify for the USA 94 World Cup. The Reds went up against Oceania Football Confederation's champions Australia. Canada won the first leg 2–1 in Edmonton. Australia led the second leg 2–1 at the end of 90 minutes, sending the tie to extra time. There was no score in the extra 30 minutes, meaning the series was decided by a penalty shootout which Australia won 4–1 to eliminate Canada from contention. Australia went on to lose 2–1 on aggregate to Argentina, who advanced to the World Cup."

There is no doubt in my mind that we need to develop pros like we had then. Classy, hard nosed, Canadian professionals, that played a hard game, a direct game, and could score. Yes we need skill, I'm not disputing that, but I really don't see that as our big issue. We need- Nationally- a beating heart and an identity. We need a place for our best to become the best they can be, instead of having their careers sidelined due to lack of opportunity because of passport issues.​

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0