Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Calgary Foothills U23 PDL Run

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since this thread's last conversation was about VMSL players playing in the PDL, I thought I'd point out that Calgary Foothills just beat FC Tucson (in 38 degree Tucson heat!) in the Western Conference Championships and now head out east to play in the PDL semifinals.

In the game today featured lots of Canadians (almost all the Calgary players) and a few BC boys on both FC Tucson and Calgary with a couple that played this year in the VMSL.

Kalem Scott (transferred from Kitsap a few weeks back) from Victoria (and CCB) and Gordon Hall (UNBC and Abbotsford Mariner's product) play for FC Tucson. Rob Hymes (SFU), Viagelli Boucus (Trinity Western/Surrey United) and my youngest (SFU/CMF Wolves) play for Calgary. Elijah Adekugbe (Trinity Western and yes, Sam's little brother) and Tofa Fakunle (UNBC) also play for Calgary.

Calgary goes on to play Reading FC AFC (Philadelphia Union's U23's) or Ocean City (New Jersey) in their semifinals next week.

On a side note, I released Gordon Hall from my CMF Super Y-League North American Championship team in 2010 back at evaluations and look how far he's gone! Good on him! Always nice to see a kid take adversity and rise up and go on to better things! A note to all those kids who get cut that it is definitely not the end of the world and sometimes, just sometimes, coaches don't always get it right. :oops:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since this thread's last conversation was about VMSL players playing in the PDL, I thought I'd point out that Calgary Foothills just beat FC Tucson (in 38 degree Tucson heat!) in the Western Conference Championships and now head out east to play in the PDL semifinals.

In the game today featured lots of Canadians (almost all the Calgary players) and a few BC boys on both FC Tucson and Calgary with a couple that played this year in the VMSL.

Kalem Scott (transferred from Kitsap a few weeks back) from Victoria (and CCB) and Gordon Hall (UNBC and Abbotsford Mariner's product) play for FC Tucson. Rob Hymes (SFU), Viagelli Boucus (Trinity Western/Surrey United) and my youngest (SFU/CMF Wolves) play for Calgary. Elijah Adekugbe (Trinity Western and yes, Sam's little brother) and Tofa Fakunle (UNBC) also play for Calgary.

Calgary goes on to play Reading FC AFC (Philadelphia Union's U23's) or Ocean City (New Jersey) in their semifinals next week.

On a side note, I released Gordon Hall from my CMF Super Y-League North American Championship team in 2010 back at evaluations and look how far he's gone! Good on him! Always nice to see a kid take adversity and rise up and go on to better things! A note to all those kids who get cut that it is definitely not the end of the world and sometimes, just sometimes, coaches don't always get it right. :oops:

I know you are not overly serious, but you did what I would bank on was the right thing at the time, and tested Gordon Hall's passion for the game. He obviously has it and will look back with no ill-regard. I watched the game on lifestream. Great level of play from both teams. I do like the aura of Calgary soccer.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks @Ballbaby.

Calgary seems to be a team of destiny right now.

They beat my other boys team in the playoffs to get to the Conference Championships and he says that the Sounders should have won but Calgary had horseshoes from the Stampede shoved up their arses. But then again, he's home and his brother is off to the semis so....:rolleyes:

Calgary has a different style than the other teams they play and I wonder if it is the difference between NCAA Div I players and the athletic, win at all cost, get the ball forward quickly mentality compared to Calgary where they have predominately CIS players where it more of a casual build up? Slowing the game down helps Calgary for sure. I watch a lot of PDL and NCAA games over the last few years and the speed, athleticism and individuality can be unbelievable. The lack of football intelligence at times is also unbelievable!

Last edited:

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks @Ballbaby.

Calgary seems to be a team of destiny right now.

They beat my other boys team in the playoffs to get to the Conference Championships and he says that the Sounders should have won but Calgary had horseshoes from the Stampede shoved up their arses. But then again, he's home and his brother is off to the semis so....:rolleyes:

Calgary has a different style than the other teams they play and I wonder if it is the difference between NCAA Div I players and the athletic, win at all cost, get the ball forward quickly mentality compared to Calgary where they have predominately CIS players where it more of a casual build up? Slowing the game down helps Calgary for sure. I watch a lot of PDL and NCAA games over the last few years and the speed, athleticism and individuality can be unbelievable. The lack of football intelligence at times is also unbelievable!
H-U-R-T-A-D-O

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leaving one league for another isn't unique...

https://goalwashington.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/will-kitsap-pumas-lead-local-exit-from-the-pdl/

BTW, Calgary Foothill's won their USL PDL semifinal against Ocean City from New Jersey 3-buzz and now play Michigan Buck in Pontiac, Michigan next weekend in the PDL Final. The boy hit a good one to make it 2-nil and made his dad hit the ceiling! Now I have to make my way to Pontiac. Anybody been there?

With the U18 Whitecaps Residency also making it to the USSDA finals earlier this month, Canada soccer is looking up? Let's hope the Whitecaps 2 continue their strong play to making it 3 strong post seasons for Canadian teams with BC connections.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leaving one league for another isn't unique...

https://goalwashington.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/will-kitsap-pumas-lead-local-exit-from-the-pdl/

BTW, Calgary Foothill's won their USL PDL semifinal against Ocean City from New Jersey 3-buzz and now play Michigan Buck in Pontiac, Michigan next weekend in the PDL Final. The boy hit a good one to make it 2-nil and made his dad hit the ceiling! Now I have to make my way to Pontiac. Anybody been there?

With the U18 Whitecaps Residency also making it to the USSDA finals earlier this month, Canada soccer is looking up? Let's hope the Whitecaps 2 continue their strong play to making it 3 strong post seasons for Canadian teams with BC connections.

Interesting about the PDL to NPSL switch. I know very little of NPSL other than Steve Nash got rostered on the NY Cosmos B team in that league last season. Not sure if he ever played a game.

Well done by your boy and the Calgary team. Here's the goal that made you jump for joy:

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-1 at halftime. Michigan Bucks are quite good and had most of possession. Chances have been pretty even with both teams having 3 very good chances each.

Stream for the game for anyone interested...

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3-2 loss but a really fantastic year for the Foothill's team. A PK to win it isn't the way you want to lose it in the final 4mins of time but hard to argue with the call. This Buck's team hadn't been scored on in a long time and to be up 2-1 against them isn't a bad thing. The only bad thing is they are good enough to get back into the game. The Buck's were good and have a really cool indoor facility that serves beer thru out the game. Well done to Foothills FC players and staff.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to K, they had a great run and made Canada proud.
Couldn't watch the game, what did you think of Russell Cicerone?
I saw he ended up as MVP but how do you view him as a player?
My youngest is on his way to Buffalo and will be his teammate next year.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FAST! Very quick. Was very good tonight. His touch and 1v1 was very good tonight. He was dangerous and had some good touches. He definitely capitalized on uncharacteristic mistakes like a good player should.

Congrats on the gig at Buffalo! Toronto and Buffalo aren't too far away from each other. Is the family heading east? Say hi to the boys for me!

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, they'll be very close to each other unlike if he had gone to CA. That's one thing we really liked about Buffalo. He had other offers and almost closed with CSU Dominguez Hills but when UB came knocking it was difficult to pass the opportunity to go there. The athletic nature of Div 1 will be a challenge but he's excited about the opportunity.
As for moving there, who knows? After 20 yrs with the first job description of "parent" we'll now have an empty house and have to relearn what it is to be on our own....But H is definitely trying to convince us to make the jump.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3-2 loss but a really fantastic year for the Foothill's team. A PK to win it isn't the way you want to lose it in the final 4mins of time but hard to argue with the call. This Buck's team hadn't been scored on in a long time and to be up 2-1 against them isn't a bad thing. The only bad thing is they are good enough to get back into the game. The Buck's were good and have a really cool indoor facility that serves beer thru out the game. Well done to Foothills FC players and staff.

I think Calgary could have been awarded a penalty as well!!

Last edited:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, they'll be very close to each other unlike if he had gone to CA. That's one thing we really liked about Buffalo. He had other offers and almost closed with CSU Dominguez Hills but when UB came knocking it was difficult to pass the opportunity to go there. The athletic nature of Div 1 will be a challenge but he's excited about the opportunity.
As for moving there, who knows? After 20 yrs with the first job description of "parent" we'll now have an empty house and have to relearn what it is to be on our own....But H is definitely trying to convince us to make the jump.

Tulio,

Congrats to the youngest!! I will be watching his progress. He is built like a fire plug and moves with purpose. He will do well.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, BB, and congrats on the coach of the year award!

The boy is excited and he's not intimidated by the competition so I hope he gets a chance to show his stuff. But it's going to be an uphill battle.
First eye-opener for us was the physical standards they require. Right of the bat the players are supposed to show up with maximum of 9% body fat, run 4mi at a 6' pace (2mi, 6' rest, 1mi, 6' rest, 1mi), and 25yd suicides (15 @ 35s per). If I had tried that when I was 18 I would have puked my guts out. Now, I'd just lie down and die....:)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don`t think we give ourselves enough credit as to what we could and couldn`t do at 18. I know for sure a lot of us could run a mile at a 6` pace. I definitely could (sub 18 min 5 KM runner, 16:24 best time). Most guys playing at the Metro level (top level then) should have been able to do that. I wasn`t even the best runner.

The difference was, most guys simply didn`t know their fitness levels back then, and we didn`t have the measurables to deal with.

DeltaDodger

Nov 24, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don`t think we give ourselves enough credit as to what we could and couldn`t do at 18. I know for sure a lot of us could run a mile at a 6` pace. I definitely could (sub 18 min 5 KM runner, 16:24 best time). Most guys playing at the Metro level (top level then) should have been able to do that. I wasn`t even the best runner.

The difference was, most guys simply didn`t know their fitness levels back then, and we didn`t have the measurables to deal with.
But did your hair look good when you did?

And did you have ice cream afterwards?

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I was never a runner. I swam all through adolescence and I do remember doing the 12' test and getting around 7.5 laps. That puts me off the 6' mile pace by a bit while you'd be galloping by at close to a 5' pace. I was really more of a sprinter and, while I could easily do 800m at that 5' pace and the 1500m under 6', I am sure I couldn't keep it for longer distances. Least of all do it, quick rest, repeat....

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0