Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada FIFA ranking 54????

wayne's world

Jun 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Jul-2006,00.html

how is this possible? without being in the world cup, Canada goes from rank 83 to 54, a 29 place improvement.

Canada ahead of Korea, Belgium, Austria, Trinidad and Tobago, South Africa, Jamaica, Saudi Arabia. These teams at least made it to the world cup since 1986.

Our last 10 international matches. Nothing spectacular!!!!!!!

International "A" Match Results:

3/1/2006
Canada 2, Austria 0
Vienna, Austria

1/22/2006
Canada 0, USA 0
San Diego, CA, USA

11/16/2005
Canada 1, Luxembourg 0
Luxembourg

9/3/2005
Canada 1, Spain 2
Santander, Spain

7/12/2005
Canada 2, Cuba 1
Boston, MA - Gold Cup

7/9/2005
Canada 0, USA 2
Seattle, WA - Gold Cup

7/7/2005
Canada 0, Costa Rica 1
Seattle, WA - Gold Cup

7/2/2005
Canada 1, Honduras 2
Burnaby, BC

3/26/2005
Canada 1, Portugal 4
Barcelos, Portugal

2/9/2005
Canada 1, Northern Ireland 0

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you bragging or complaining?

Hoping that this is indicative of FIFA's stated "new ranking system" that doesn't depend on what flavour of Coca-Cola you like best....

Trece

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
I'm curious too. How, and huh?

Maybe they think Hargreaves is going to defect back within the next 6 months.

Sorry Dude, I couldn't resist that one..:D

I think we have flogged that horse to death and its time to move on.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, poor Seabiscuit is just a mound of pulp now.

Crafty, any insight as to how we could have jumped up this high? Last time I recall we were this high was after winning the Gold Cup?

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

I can only assume, but the new criteria gives a better overall view of teams and where they sit. It was easy for the USA to look good in the rankings as they always played teams in there region like Canada, Honduras, Costa Rica and the likes to gain points toward their ranking. That has been taken away now and that is why you see the USA and Mexico plummet in the rankings. If they want to move up they will have to arrange more games against Brazil, Argentina, Italy etc...
Having a simple rule like the 3 points for a win 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a loss which they have implemented rather than the complex way they used to do it makes it much more cut and dry.
I believe Canada's recent results against Austria, USA and Luxembourg has helped them tremendously. Having the four year history apply rather than the old eight year will give a better indication of current form rather than teams relying on what they did six or seven years ago. The whole face of a team can change completely in that time and you are basically living and playing on a reputation that may not necessary apply to your current national squad.

Cheers

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our last 10 international matches. Nothing spectacular!!!!!!!

Nothing Spectacular? Some good results there.

In addition:
The first of these was the most significant change in the ranking's calculation in its 13-year history. A new system came into operation this month and, instead of taking into account the past eight years' results, only the last four now have a bearing on teams' positions within the ranking table. As for the other means by which the ranking was traditionally decided (result, importance of match, strength of opponents, regional strength, number of matches considered), these have been tested, re-analysed and, in some cases, completely revised. Indeed, two of the factors previously used - goals scored and home advantage - have been removed from the reckoning process altogether.

2-Nil over Austria, Austria is ranked 60th.

0-0 Draw with the USA, despite what most people think about the USA, they were ranked somewhere near 16th when we played them, huge bonus points for drawing vs. this team.

1-Nil over Luxembourg, this victory wouldn't pay very well, you don't get many points for "barely" defeating a country ranked well below you.

2-1 Loss to Spain ALSO improves our numbers because of Spain's high ranking.

Canada has back to back games vs. Jamaica in August who is ranked 78th. Hopefully we field a good team.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0