Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada MNT: Road to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reluctantly I said I'd be an assistant. Last thing the kids need is my input.

OK, seriously...

I was exactly like this 15 or so years ago when Mini Dude first started. Exact same reasoning. Then I met my "head" coach, and immediately started taking over the reigns. Pretty much decided on the spot that I in no good conscious all this fellow to be in charge of these kids and their technical development. He had no real soccer background, but (bless his heart) was a baseball guy who simply volunteered for everything his kid did. I truly admire that, and really, this is my biggest beef w/ Canadian Soccer Grassroots...we have a massive gap in intelligence at that level, and for the most part, coaches are left to their own devices. Some clubs are better than others at filling the knowledge gap. I coached at Surrey United, and they did as good as a job as could conceivably be done at providing coaches w/ guidance. But, seriously, of something like 8 house teams, there was me, and @heanjob coaching that actually had playing experience. Think about that, that is 2/16 coaches!

I nearly didn't coach girls, either, but same thing happened w/ my daughter. I tried to resist, but the head coach for her team was even worse...more of a warm body, and one of the other parents essentially pleading me to get involved. I was too afraid that my style for boys would be bad for girls. In the end, my daughter basically told me that it wasn't fair I coached Mini Dude and not her, and that she'd quit if I didn't coach. Deciding to coach her and her team was easily the right decision.

I've said it before: for us former players who put our kids into soccer, we really do owe it to the game to get back involved in coaching, especially knowing what I know now about the gap in qualified, knowledgeable coaches.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many times have I had to tell this same story? The problem isn't just finding them. It's also training them, formalizing their experience and knowledge to BCYSA standards (such as they are), and then retaining them. Sometimes very similar to herding cats (or, come to think of it, like coaching 5 year olds). Sometimes I think I'm doing this just because I've been doing it so long that nobody else will...

Anyway, sometimes changing the world has to happen in baby steps, and that's kind of where we are now. I don't agree with everything either, but if you want to say that something's wrong, you also need to back yourself up with a better way to do it. What's better so far:
  • better coach training - I'm still fighting with the overly formalized types who take more time lining kids up for drills than actually doing them, and with anyone else who keeps kids standing around waiting instead of actively working with a ball. That said, the coach education program we've got is miles better than it used to be. The goal is that nobody should be called a coach without at least some idea of what they're doing. Shouldn't be revolutionary, but it seems to be here.
  • Touch count - not everything and never should be. When I used to tell coaches that their players should be touching a ball at least 2-300 times in a hour long practice it bewildered them. Now I'm trying (sometimes successfully) to get them to at least double that and hopefully treble it.
  • better applicable strategy - coming from better training of coaches by making them more adaptable to different scenarios and strategies.
What's not:
  • freeplay time - you can try to emulate this as much as possible in training by small-sided games, but if the kids are only doing it once or twice a week and then only during your practice slots, they aren't going to become the next Messi. I'd love to be able to set up some kind of program to allow this like a kids' 4 on 4 or 5-aside like futsal without the adult rules and direct involvement, but the kids still have to want to do it. You can only train so many times in a kid's mind (and even in ours) before it becomes a chore and the fun goes out of it.
  • Still want to add more game time, even with a minimal amount of structure. There's no better way to recreate a game experience than actually playing in a game.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds like Vic listened to Your Interview too!

So, Floro's gone.
Who will be the "Interim Coach"?
Will they hire a foreigner? For the Full Time position?
Should it be a Canadian?
Who do you think will get the job?
Who do you think should get the job?

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you available to fill the post? :)

I have trouble filling my water bottle, these days.
Been there, done that.
I've given more than enough to the CMNT Program over the years.
16 years working in all programs for them. Coached over 60 games.
Sadly, I did not get an invite to the game last week like many of my former players, who got the "Official Invitation Letter" but a few of us who have contributed a lot, seem to be excluded.
We must have said something to upset some people.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last season the EPL Champions coach wanted to reward players with pizza. Dude, you're using the wrong food group, thats the 10% disconnect. discuss.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have trouble filling my water bottle, these days.
Been there, done that.
I've given more than enough to the CMNT Program over the years.
16 years working in all programs for them. Coached over 60 games.
Sadly, I did not get an invite to the game last week like many of my former players, who got the "Official Invitation Letter" but a few of us who have contributed a lot, seem to be excluded.
We must have said something to upset some people.

I had 2 tickets given to me for the El Salvador game a couple of weeks ago.
I left them on my dashboard, whilst going To pay for parking.
Some bastard smashed my side window in my car!!!!!!

And!!!
Left 2 more tickets

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

And!!!
Left 2 more tickets
Soccer Coach is everywhere.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

And!!!
Left 2 more tickets
Very similar to the Big Sam joke making the rounds that he should be made to suffer for his actions by leaving him as manager of England :)

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very similar to the Big Sam joke making the rounds that he should be made to suffer for his actions by leaving him as manager of England :)
Regs.
Is the a block button, like on Twitter?
I'm tired of Soccer Coach's posts.
I think I speak for a few on here.
How can we stop seeing his posts?

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs.
Is the a block button, like on Twitter?
I'm tired of Soccer Coach's posts.
I think I speak for a few on here.
How can we stop seeing his posts?
You started things today. If you do not like the response, then do not start things. It is simple as that. You are running away because you know what the picture means. You do not want to see the evidence in the results (i.e. # of World Cups Finals, Olympic Finals, Continental Championships, production of top players, the evidence is overwhelming between the two nations...) A sports social system guided by an anachronistic order based on birth rights and class entitlements leads to massive failure and losses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0