Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada Vs Panama Friday Sept 7 and Tuesday Sept 11

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couple of huge games coming up for Canada.

Hutchinson is healthy and ready to go, Bernier looks like he will be seeing the field, and De Jong is back.

3 points out of a possible 6 would be a good result I think. Canada will have a little more depth with the additions compared to previous games.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A pretty experienced squad has been named. We have the quality that should see off Panama at home, but you never know what you're going to get as far as a crowd in Toronto, officiating and chemistry with our MNT. Defensively if they park the bus in Panama and are good on set pieces a draw could be salvaged.

drawing Honduras at home hurt. I think anything less than a win and at least a draw against Panama puts us in trouble.

4 points from these games and a win at home to Cuba will essentially see us on to the next round. Honduras will stack up 6 points in their 2 matches against Cuba.

At any rate it doesn't look good, if we proceed to the Hex we will be looking at having to finish top 4 against US, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica/El Salvador, and either Panama or Honduras. just to get to the playoff against most likely New Zealand. I think if you're being 100% realistic and having to assume the CONCACAF officials have their way we could really hope for no better than 4th assuming Mexico, The Yanks and a dogfight for third between us Jamaica and El Salvador/Costa Rica.

The seedings for the byes into this round are based on FIFA Rankings and this is why it's so Important that the MNT plays decent to good competition as often as possible to get that stupid ranking up.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see Bernier won MLS player of the month - Good stuff that he's in form.

Agreed - Need the solid points here to have any kind of hope against the top teams.
I wouldn't put Panama near the US, Mexico, Jamiaca, Costa Rica, El Salvador or Honduras.
At this stage, IMHO, those teams comprise the glass ceiling right now in Concacaf for us.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Panama beat Honduras in Honduras 2-0 to open this stage of Qualifiers when we beat Cuba 1-0 in Cuba. Figueroa and Palacios played for Honduras :eek:

I see the States and Mexico as the only real untouchables in this Federation for Canada. We can compete handily skill wise with Jamaica, Costa Rica, ES, Panama and Honduras...it just depends on the locale, the officials, and the type of "home crowd" we get in the centre of the universe imho.

As we move into the fall months these games should be played (imho) in places like Edmonton or in the rain in Vancouver or in the Maritimes in poor weather. We should be avoiding major metropolitan areas where "Canadians" with other heritage can come and cheer against us.

It worked in '86...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did some more snooping around...apparently we have some injuries concerning the backline... Hainault is fcuked so there is a good ebate roaring on the v's board calling for Hart to move Edgar in centrally and playing either Klukowski (left footed) at Right Back or moving Hutchinson to RB for these matches...

edit: Hainault was a full go today for training so he's looking good to go now.

also, We are favorites with the bookies, perhaps the Captain can tell us where to drop our loonies and twoonies...

Canada 1.95 Draw 3.25 Panama 3.60

Any guesses on lineups and formations Gurps? Where would you stick Hutch into the lineup keeping in mind you probably want DeRo and Deguzman in there, and keeping in mind Bernier's recent form.

also to stir up bad feelings in people: imagine trying to pick the forwards and midfielders if Hoilet and Jon DeGuzman were available for selection, that would be tricky...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good question Mr.JBN...

I am assuming Canada is going with a deep striker..

Ocean(Or Jackson) up front

De Ro (outside mid) De Guzman (defending Ctr mid) Will Johnson(CM) Hutchison(outside mid)

Jazic or De Jong(outside back) Hainault (CB) McKenna (CB) Edgar(Outside back)

lars H in net

Subs possibly coming on would be Bernier, Rickets, Jackson, and De Jong. Maybe Will Johnson doesn't get the start, making room for Bernier?

It's just nice canada has some "depth"

Jackson and Ocean can be interchanged, with De Jong back they have another option in the back. Dunfield will be around as well as an option.

Thoughts?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's hard keeping Jackson on the bench as he's just started two games in the Premier League, but with one guy up top as Hart does, Jackson would be lost solo. I'd go 4-3-3 at Bmo and 4-1-4-1 in Panama.
DeRo Occean Jackson
JDG Bernier Hutchinson
DeJong Hainault McKenna Edgar
Lars

For road:
Occean
DeJong Bernier Johnson Hutch
JDG
Jakovic Hainault McKenna Edgar
Lars

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done....great first half for Canada. Second half they looked nervous as they knew they needed a goal. A huge win and a draw Tuesday and the next round may be in sight.

5 straight clean sheets for the back line. They still have to get better at finishing, but they got the win they needed and that is all that matters.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Amazeballs that we benefitted by a heads up play from two skillful attacking players in Hutch and DeRo. We are used to being gutted by plays like that. Kudos for the ref also for not bowing to panama complaining.

Sorry for your betting slip Captain! :D

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada wins, the Yanks lose to Jamaica, and my Belgians win two buzz over Wales for showing up... on my birthday no less... great day WC qualifying results all around!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN.........I was very fortunate to have missed the kick-off so FORTUNATELY I missed the bet that would have been Panama to get at least a draw.......I only saw 10 minutes of the game so can't comment but any win is good at this stage whether it be good or ugly.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Happy bday mtkb. I actually see Belgium winning that group. Their excellent young players are going to be the difference in this group over horrendous Scotland that couldn't score on a Thai hooker and very average Serbia. To me it's a coin flip between Croatia and Belgium but I think it will be Belgium.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Supposedly the Panamanians set up shop outside the hotel last night and blared music and beat drums and had strobe lights going all last night, I think it was one of the players from CMNT that took some footage on his iphone and uploaded it to Youtube, going to have to re look at twitter to dig up the link.

Hopefully the CSA issued each guy some ear plugs and some eye covers to make sure they all got some sleep, and too bad the Cops would shut down such an occurrence here in Canada...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Found it! it looks like one of the players (Edgar?) also was captured on the video (by CSA or "CanadaSoccerTV") filming the antics from a balcony with his phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What can expect for changes? I've seen/heard that Johnson is unavailable due to his second yellow (Dumb ass rule btw) and Occean being hurt.

I'd go with:
--------------------Jackson----------------------
---------------------De Ro------------------------
DeJong-----Deguzman------Hutchinson-------Bernier
Jazic---------McKenna------Hainault---------Edgar
---------------------Lars-------------------------

Or
--------------------De Ro----------------------
DeJong---Ledgerwood----Hutchinson------Bernier
--------------------DeGuzman------------------
Jazic---------McKenna----Hainault-------Edgar
----------------------Lars------------------------

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is talk of De Jong entering the match....but I am not sure for who.

And please, for the love of all things do NOT put Ledgerwood on the pitch in central America.

variation of 4-5-1;

--------------------Ricketts----------------------
DeJong---Bernier-----------Hutchinson------DeRo
--------------------DeGuzman------------------
Jazic---------McKenna----Hainault-------Edgar
----------------------Lars------------------------

Jackson off the bench of course. And apparently Pacheco is an outstanding possession/ball winning CM, so he can replace whomever in CM too.

Can't wait until Josh Simpson is back, but De Jong should do a great job left wing. I heard the Bundesliga is a pretty good competition.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
DeJong on the left side for me is a boit of a no brainer.. I don't like Jackson alone up top, but would take it over Ricketts alone up top imho.

I have yet to see Pacheco play... perhaps we will get to see him put in a shift tonight for once.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0