Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Premier League

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just read this load of drivel- against by better judgment- but I'm glad I did because there are some complete inaccuracies I need to correct.

#1: "You tend to personalize the posts. It is really not about you or your family. I am glad that your dad changed. However, this just proves the point. You were brave in defying the bigotry of your father and mother." I NEVER included my mother in that. She was a saint, and never saw color. My dad...yeah, he changed. I'm glad he did, because it would have meant me separating myself from his life. A lot of his generation was closed minded. That's no secret. I don't always personalize my posts, but when I'm being accused of being a racist by an internet troll, I need to put some perspective back in. I have some, you clearly don't.

#2: "If people of European descent would be buying those properties, there would not be an uproar in the province. It would be business as usual." I call bullshit. Money talks, and the reason for the uproar is purely economics. The climb in real estate pricing due to foreign ownership purchasing practices has made it difficult- if not impossible- for many to get into the market. The offset has also been an increase in the rental market, etc. Foreign buyers could be European, Asian, or Purple Aliens from Jupiter, the offsetting economic strain would be the same. The uproar would be the same.

#3: National team: have you actually looked at the National team rosters over the past 20 years? Seems pretty multicultural to me. Sure, maybe no South Asians of note, but you also need to track the trajectory of the South Asian footballing community here in BC; that community has only risen to some prominence- footballing wise- over the past 20 years. Especially over the past 10 years, huge leaps. Cream rises to the top in this game, it's only a matter of time for that community to break through in larger numbers at the highest level. Currently, look at all the National squads in the lower age brackets. Let me know if you are OK or not OK with the ethnic content. FFS....

#4: Lastly, this: "On the personal note, I am sorry to bring it to you, but discrimination and bias will limit the opportunities of your children. No matter how hard they work or how hard they try. Race matters in the Canadian and USA workforce, and if you do not believe it, then you better start to read about it." No doubt there are going to be barriers. Barriers are there to be broken down.

@Dude, as usual making simplified and uneducated comments. Lets see what the experts say:
First:
---------
Henry Yu, a UBC professor of history and expert in Chinese Canadian studies, places tensions in today’s real-estate industry in this context of earlier conversations around the same issues.

“From a historian’s point of view, this goes right back to the founding of Vancouver and to the founding of British Columbia,” he said. “Who could preempt Crown land? Who could take this free land? Only people from Europe. And so, right away, began this idea that only migrants coming from certain places are reaping the benefits of colonial land acquisition.

“That was one of the privileges of white supremacy,” Yu added. “That was the first moment where Chinese were unwanted.”

“No Asiatic, Negro or Indian”
From Vancouver’s founding in the late 1800s, legacies of racist land policies remained with the city, and debates tinged by xenophobia have been repeated.
----------------------------
Second:
A new study from the University of British Columbia shows foreign buyers might not have as big of an impact on Vancouver’s housing market as people may think.

Jack Favilukis, assistant professor with UBC’s Sauder School of Business, said the review found foreign buyers have only “slightly” increased the price of real estate.

The study, also written by New York University, studied the effects of foreign ownership by building a fake city.

The model was calibrated to look like Vancouver, so “within that model, we can ask how much is each household worse off or better off. And then we can group that by renters or owners, young adults, and so on.”

He said the study examined what would happen if international buyers came in and bid up housing prices.

“So we found that the price effect is modest… so we think that prices due to foreign buyers have increased by five to 10 per cent, and the same with rents. But the more interesting thing we found has to do with the consequences for local households.”

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
-----------------------------
Third:
Nathan Lauster, an associate professor of sociology at UBC and a blogger on city issues, says banning foreign investment misses the larger issue of local real estate speculation.

"We've been led to believe that effectively foreign buyers are all speculators, investors and vacation-home owners while everyone who is in Canada is living in property they own," he said.

But that's not true, he told CBC host of On The Coast Gloria Macarenko.

"You're talking about five times as much domestic investment in real estate compared to foreign investment in real estate by value, at least in the Vancouver market," he said.

-----------------------------
Fourth:
You can check the statistics during the Hong Kong Immigration to Canada. They were blamed for the increase in housing prices, but in fact the bulk of the increase in housing prices came from investments from Canadians (White), USA, and the UK.

In summary, @Dude, yes economics is driving the prices us in Vancouver. However, Vancouverites blame the Chinese for it. When the data categorically has proven time after time that this is not the case. If anything, many Chinese residents are also affected by increasing housing prices.
------------------------------------
Now, how it all relates to soccer. Society is not compartmentalized. The racism of your father and his peers. The racism in the real state market. The racism in every day life comes into soccer. This is why the Whitecaps or the Canadian National Team have no Chinese or South Asian players (although logic states that they should give the population).

Symbols are powerful @Dude. There is no coincidence on these exclusions. The motto of this province was for more than a century: "The White Man's Province". This gets ingrained in the subconscious of people in BC. Even the name "WHITEcaps" and the reason for what it was chosen: "The white on top of the mountains.....the white on top of the waves". It is all part of the imaginary that puts one colour and race at the top of the social order with respect to others.

The question is: will this CPL league will help to change the discrimination and racism that Chinese and South Asians face in this province or will it help to perpetuate it?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
People learn things in 3s, studies say. Let's try this again:

You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.

It seemed to work for a while, but now you are back.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
People learn things in 3s, studies say. Let's try this again:

You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.

It seemed to work for a while, but now you are back.
Typical. Resorting to name calling when confronted with the evidence and the truth. The signs of an insecure personality.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach here's an event for you:

Akal has tweets sometimes have a good sense of humour. I actually checked other media, and I could not get verification. Perhaps indeed it is going to take place. I hope that it does and people start to openly talk about it and find ways to organize and taking measures to curb it. I have certainly seen it first hand against players who are South Asian or other minorities in the VMSL and even in youth games.

This is not only a problem at the professional, but it is also in the grass root level.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Typical. Resorting to name calling when confronted with the evidence and the truth. The signs of an insecure personality.

...or the signs of someone who is 100% confident in what he is speaking.

You don't yet see how you are. I understand. This must be a difficult realization to face, but we do have hope for you. It takes 3, and if 3 is good, 3 x 3 is better. Everything in 3s. So, with the understanding that I will have to repeat this again, I offer:

You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
...or the signs of someone who is 100% confident in what he is speaking.

You don't yet see how you are. I understand. This must be a difficult realization to face, but we do have hope for you. It takes 3, and if 3 is good, 3 x 3 is better. Everything in 3s. So, with the understanding that I will have to repeat this again, I offer:

You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

Socrates

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man it feels good to help others. This must be what doctors feel like helping people heal, especially those who suffer from self-inflicted issues.

Self-high-five.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

Socrates
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.

There, you are now cured. If for some reason you don't feel better, that's on you, not me. A doctor can't be expected to clean up all the junkies he comes accross, after all. They need to help themselves, too.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.

There, you are now cured. If for some reason you don't feel better, that's on you, not me. A doctor can't be expected to clean up all the junkies he comes accross, after all. They need to help themselves, too.
I am not feeling anything. You are the one that is experiencing feelings. Your ego can not take when evidence contradicts your view of the world and yourself, so you lash out with insults. It is all very common @Dude. You are completely projecting here.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0