Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Premier League

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
haber-graphic-730x411.jpg

https://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/2696-2

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Expanded Canadian Championship to feature 13 teams across five leagues

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...pionship-feature-13-teams-across-five-leagues

What is the Quebec and Ontario league?...I mean, do we have something similar in BC?

Nope. A couple years ago BC Soccer put out a proposal to start an equivalent which had a placeholder name of "BC Tier 3 League"
https://www.bcsoccer.net/news/post/...tish-columbia-with-regional-tier-three-league

They wanted interested clubs to register in a "pre-application" process so they could figure out if they had enough support to launch it. In the end they did not as only 4-5 clubs appeared to be interested. I believe a lot of that was down to the poorly created business plan which you can view here:
https://www.bcsoccer.net/files/Player/HighPerformance/RT3 Information Package.pdf

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very late to the party with my comments, I know.
Anyway, I'm in Portugal and talked to a friend involved with pro soccer here about the league, its composition, the open trials around the country, this (https://canpl.ca/video/stat-sheet-kinducts-top-5-performers-from-cpls-open-trials), the draft, etc.
He laughed his ass off and I couldn't fault him...
I wish the CPL all the best but it is hard to take North America seriously as a destination for anyone who wants to play soccer professionally when within a 50K circle from where I am there are probably more than a dozen pro teams across the top 3 levels to try for. And the same scenario exists in Brazil, Spain, Italy, Germany, UK, etc...
BTW, there are a bunch of Canadian kids all over Europe that no one knows about or seem to care, playing and even making money out of the game. Hope someday they get a chance to do it back home but wouldn't hold my breath.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, there are a bunch of Canadian kids all over Europe that no one knows about or seem to care, playing and even making money out of the game. Hope someday they get a chance to do it back home but wouldn't hold my breath.

They escaped the Canadian development system before they could be branded with the appropriate club tattoo; no chance they're given a look back home... c'mon now...

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
What the heck, I tried to post new message and somehow got a repeat? Please ffeel free to clean up...

Anyhow, what I wanted to say was that I was talking yesterday with the dad of a ON kid who will be staying here at least to the end of the season if everything goes right. Seems like a decent enough player and did very well at CPL open trials but nothing came of it. So, explain to me again how much sense it makes to have a local kid have to fly overseas to have a shot of playing? Crazy.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have two different messages there.

One says it’ll never work, the other says it doesn’t make sense that a kid would seek out opportunities overseas instead of in Canada.

If he didn’t make the Cut at the CPL or otter professional North American leagues, then yeah, he’d have to go seek out international opportunities, wouldn’t he?

Will it work? I hope so. Steep hill to climb? Yeah.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Checkout www.canucks-abroad.ca

Also, there is now a chance for these guys to play pro in Canada - that is the mandate of the CPL. Here's a snapshot of their progress repatriating Canadians:

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only thing is that our kids going overseas have to prove themselves above and beyond.
Much like the Mark Geiger article on him being a Yankee Ref and automatically being discounted for an international game, so he's fighting perception off the bat before he's blown his whistle.
(Not a Geiger fan by the way - Especially ones named Rob) :D
Which is why we in North America get laughed at regardless, like Tulio's mate did, as there's a superiority complex as opposed to a welcoming one, unlike what we have here in my humble opinion, which is why I'm so fcuking proud to be Canadian.
I can tell you first hand the kid with the North American accent automatically gets discounted as I said, or unfortunately laughed at.
The kid with the home town accent gets priority - Period.

We're the Rodney Dangerfields of Football on so many levels.
Maybe some deserved, but a lot isn't.

The CPL may be flawed, and maybe a la the MLS missing out on players who have it and ain't getting a sniff, but that is common all over the world in this competitive game anyway.
We're trying and its a start at least to get our players better and more playing time here.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
@TulioMaravilha - nice to see you here again! Is your kid playing in Europe yet?
He's still in a NCAA scholarship which precludes accepting positions in pro teams or even having an agent. On the other hand, it got him a full year studying in Italy on them, so no complaints from me. In a year when he's done he'll have a plan B and the option to go if he wants.

You have two different messages there.
I don't know if the CPL is gonna work, Dude, I sure hope it does. What I mean is, the N. Am. model of concentrating things in a few franchises to generate value and income may be sound for owners when the investment pays off but at a high cost of limiting opportunities for players. In other places there are lots of shitty teams in every league but their very existence creates the openings and possibilities, however remote, to move up the ladder. When there's only one game in town (or even 8 in a giant country like ours), the large majority of players are left with nowhere to go. It takes resources from parents and sometimes a foreign passport to keep the dream and that's a shame.
As for the kids going out, I don't for a minute disagree with them. Actually, I have told a buddy of mine ages ago who argued that kids who didn't make the 'Caps have no option but beer league, that there's a far better option : YVR. That is, for those who can afford it. What I was pointing to is that I highly suspect that players who can secure a pro contract in most div 3/2 leagues in Europe should have no problem holding their own in USL, PDL, CPL and in some cases MLS. But those who were not "stamped" early on by the established programs are frequently ignored...

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only thing is that our kids going overseas have to prove themselves above and beyond.
They do, but let's be real it is not that much easier if you come from Korea or Japan, regardless of their FIFA standing. And not to say others have it that easy, a Brazilian pro playing here was complaining that he can destroy at practice, scores 4 goals and the "Mister" doesn't bat an eyelash. A Portuguese guy scores one and big tap on the back and he's treated like CR7. Different reason for the bias but still...
But frankly, what I have seen abroad that is different and which by the way elicited the most laughs from my friend was the very N. Am. idea of getting the "best" athletes and not the ones who play the best. As he put it (I'm obviously paraphrasing), "why are your coaches bothering to find out if these guys are good in the track if they have no clue if they can actually play?". And no, a 2 day tryout says nothing. A 2 week to a month trial period is the de-facto norm as far as I have seen and most teams would allow for that long to make up their minds to sign a player. And, if a guy shows that he can play, they'll have you regardless of where you come from and even how well you do on the beep test.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow is right!

I'm still going to find a way to a couple. Short flight from Whistler to Victoria, fun night out, why not? Besides, looks to me like they'll have a huge parking problem if they manage to even 1/2 fill that joint.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0