Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cannavaro Wins Ballon d'or

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cannavaro wins Euro player award

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro has been named European Footballer of the Year by France Football magazine.
The 33-year-old Real Madrid defender, who captained Italy to victory at the World Cup in Germany, becomes one of the few defenders to win the prize.

Cannavaro won the honour with 173 points, ahead of Juventus keeper Gianluigi Buffon (124) of Italy and Arsenal striker Thierry Henry (121).

The Ballon d'Or award is based on a vote by European football journalists.

France midfielder Zinedine Zidane, who retired after reaching the World Cup finals, was placed fifth with 71 points.

Last year's European Footballer award went to Barcelona's Brazil playmaker Ronaldinho, who finished fourth this time around.

Cannavaro is the fifth Italian to win the award after Omar Sivori (1961), Gianni Rivera (1969), Paolo Rossi (1982) and Roberto Baggio (1993).

He also revealed that the award had extra significance as he became the first defender to win since Germany's Mathias Sammer in 1996.

It has a double importance because it's given to the greatest players and as a defender it's rare to have this honour," said the delighted Neapolitan.

"The World Cup in Germany was perfect for a defender. I remember in particular the semi-final against Germany."

Capped 105 times for his country, the Real Madrid defender was one of seven nominated players from the Italian team that captured its fourth World Cup title.

In domestic football, Cannavaro clinched victory in Serie A with Juventus over the last two seasons before his previous club side were stripped of those titles and demoted to the second division after being found guilty of match fixing.

"I want to thank Real president Raman Calderon and my team-mates from Juve and the national team who had an important part to play in my winning this award," Cannavaro added.

"Many people analysed my season with Juve in 2005 for this vote. In that season I played 37 matches and scored four crucial goals."

Thoughts my TTP friends?

-Anothergreatcopypastejob-

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Considering Juve didn't win the Serie A without cheating him and Buffon should not be looked at for a month's worth of work. Henry led Arsenal to the Champs League final and was in the finals of the World Cup so of the three his overall season was better. Zidane maybe should have been considered because of his play for a crap Madrid and his virtuoso display at the World Cup. Also for giving that nice head butt to that scum Materazzi.

The only reason Cannavaro won it is because a defender hasn't won it in 10 years. I guess this vote was fixed kind of like Juve's season last year and the favours they've been getting this year to get back up!

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zenga said:
Thoughts my TTP friends?

Great decision. I thought Cannavaro was by far the best player at the World Cup and he's also been a rock at Juventus over the years .......... well deserved (I can't believe I'm saying this about an Italian winning it !! ~ sorry Zenga !!)

termatofylakas said:
The only reason Cannavaro won it is because a defender hasn't won it in 10 years.

Complete and utter rubbish :rolleyes: :D

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks said:
Great decision. I thought Cannavaro was by far the best player at the World Cup and he's also been a rock at Juventus over the years .......... well deserved

Couldn't agree more, defenders don't usually get the recognition they deserve and I've never seen a defender stand out the way Cannavaro did this past year. Very well deserved indeed :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0