Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks - Linden- 2014/2015 changes [Off season]

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who do you guys think will be new GM under Linden? What three fee agents would help Canucks the most?
Will Kesler stay?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
GM will be a mix of whatever is in place (gilman & ?) plus an advisor type (maybe Quinn).

Free agents? The only one of note will be a goalie, maybe Halak.

Unfortunately, I think Kesler will stay...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Linden has apparently made one change already re-hiring TC Carling. TC was the VP of Communications or something at Canuck S&E. I think he left some time ago and was replaced by Chris Brumwell. TC has been hired back by Linden as VP of Hockey Administration.

As for GM, the Canucks don't have to have some big name to appease fans and media types, I think Linden will do a lot of that. I suspect we'll see one of these rumored Asst. GM's from another City, specifically a good shout would be Jim Benning who played here, with Linden, and has been the Asst GM leading the Scouting and Capology for the Bruins. It will either be Gilman or Benning - my humble guess.

As for UFA's - it doesn't appear to be a super deep pool this year. Some of the players available:
FW: Gaborik, Heatley, Vanek, Stastny, Hemsky, Legwand, Bolland, Moulson, J Jokinen, & Setoguchi
D: Boyle, Pitkonen, Meszaros & Quincey
G: Miller, Hiller, Halak, & Elliott.

I'd need to know from Kesler asap (If I'm Linden) if he's in or out. I think Linden coming here will play a huge role in whether Kesler stays or goes psychologically for Kesler anyways... I'm not in the loop on whether or not they had/have a good relationship - One would think that the fact that Burrows and Bieksa are big Linden guys would mean Kesler's probably on board with Linden.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Linden is going to make the club younger and faster one or two guys in their 30's must go. My guy tells me that Shinkaruk will be on first line.
Hensen or Burrows might change addresses. Benning is done a fine job with Boston guys. He would be big plus, but than again owners would have to payout a guy or two. Very costly for owners.
If Kesler stays will Higgins be here. He did better than Hensen and Burrows. I see Kassian moving up to second line if he plays as he finished off this year. Kesler, Bo an Kassian could be good line. Team would get younger.
If Torts get the boot owners would have to pay more.
It's getting worse by a minute. One can only hope Linden cleans the house and starts with a bang just like Sokic and his pell.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Sokic and his pell" (I'm assuming you're speaking of King Patrick) had inherited a team loaded full of top 5 picks such as MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene etc. The only bang being heard around here will likely be the door closing on Tortorella.

Shinkaruk will not be playing on the top line next season in the NHL. He had played no games this season then had a major injury to fix and rehab. It'll be a long putt for him to make the club next year.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I've seen of this youngsters class at some games live, on TV etc, and what I've read- the three guys worth the Nucks doing anything for (trading up) are Bennett, Reinhart and Ekblad, the latter 2 of whom we watched during the WJHC.

At 6th, I'd rather stay put then trade up, next years draft class is supposedly the best one since the 03/04/05 drafts - why waste assets on this class?

If they stay 6th I'd like to see them pursue Bigger, good skating WHL Forwards:

-Jake Virtanen (Winger) from Abby (Calgary Hitmen 45G 26A in 71 GP) is listed by Blob Mckenzie at 10th but lower on other lists.
-Leon Draisaitl (C/W)(PA Raiders 38G 67A in 64 GP and Captained Germany in WJHC) from Germany are two I'd have on my list.

My Mock Draft up to the Nucks: (I'm a geek for this stuff)
FLA: Aaron Ekblad (FLA need Defense, already have Huberdeau & Barkov as fwd young studs)
BUF: Sam Reinhart (Aside from Hodgson have a total void up the middle of the ice)
EDM: Haydn Fleury (Edmonton needs more young Fwd's like they need a hole in their head)
CGY: Sam Bennett (Stud Flexible Fwd at C or W and a future running mate of Sean Monahan)
NYI: Michael Dal Colle (Based on the fact that this pick will ultimately be sent to Buffalo to complete the Vanek trade, as it's either next year or this year's first rounder, and next year's draft is way stronger) And Buffalo needs wingers not C's
VAN: Leon Draisaitl (Only because he's rated fairly high by other scouting lists) could also be Ehlers, Virtanen or Ritchie)

None of this mattters though, with the Canucks current Scouting team they might draft some guy from a US High School nobody has heard of ;)

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I've seen of this youngsters class at some games live, on TV etc, and what I've read- the three guys worth the Nucks doing anything for (trading up) are Bennett, Reinhart and Ekblad, the latter 2 of whom we watched during the WJHC.

At 6th, I'd rather stay put then trade up, next years draft class is supposedly the best one since the 03/04/05 drafts - why waste assets on this class?

If they stay 6th I'd like to see them pursue Bigger, good skating WHL Forwards:

-Jake Virtanen (Winger) from Abby (Calgary Hitmen 45G 26A in 71 GP) is listed by Blob Mckenzie at 10th but lower on other lists.
-Leon Draisaitl (C/W)(PA Raiders 38G 67A in 64 GP and Captained Germany in WJHC) from Germany are two I'd have on my list.

My Mock Draft up to the Nucks: (I'm a geek for this stuff)
FLA: Aaron Ekblad (FLA need Defense, already have Huberdeau & Barkov as fwd young studs)
BUF: Sam Reinhart (Aside from Hodgson have a total void up the middle of the ice)
EDM: Haydn Fleury (Edmonton needs more young Fwd's like they need a hole in their head)
CGY: Sam Bennett (Stud Flexible Fwd at C or W and a future running mate of Sean Monahan)
NYI: Michael Dal Colle (Based on the fact that this pick will ultimately be sent to Buffalo to complete the Vanek trade, as it's either next year or this year's first rounder, and next year's draft is way stronger) And Buffalo needs wingers not C's
VAN: Leon Draisaitl (Only because he's rated fairly high by other scouting lists) could also be Ehlers, Virtanen or Ritchie)

None of this mattters though, with the Canucks current Scouting team they might draft some guy from a US High School nobody has heard of ;)

They say after the top 3 its drops off considerably.

Speed was an issue this year. I'd give Ehlers a look.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Nikolaj-Ehlers

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Linden might make a trade for a younger winger for twins line. All the kids in this years draft are just average players. Not one stands out clear and above. None of these kids in first round can step in in to NHL roster.
I could see Linden drop Burrows to second line with Kesler and Kassian.
Third line is as good as any team in NHL. Matthias Bo and Jensen. But fourth line needs to produce allot more. Hensen, Richarsdson and Sestito.
Dape Garnier Kassels Shinkaruk to fight for a spot or two. I think Linden is not going to rock the ship much. We need a guy like O'brian on D to be able to fight. Peter Anderson can easy take playce of Edler.
I think Edler will be moved in a first round draft as part of package. I have wached lots of junior games I do agree with Elhers or Drasait.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Linden is the President, not the GM or Head Coach, thus those will not be his calls Base.

Also Kassian has been on the third and fourth lines with little to zero action in the top 6.

If you want a younger winger for the twin Jensen showed signs this year, but Torts was loathe to use him for extended periods of time because frankly, he's a control freak that doesn't trust younger players and was trying to not miss the playoffs.

I'm not going to comment on your asking to get a guy like O'brian, who I'm sure you're referring to Shane O'Brien.

If you think Cassels Grenier, Dalpe or Shinkaruk are going to make this team next year the Nucks will either be picking in the lottery spots again or I'll eat my hat. Horvat and Gaunce will again have extreme difficulties making an NHL Squad next season. The Nucks have 4 proven NHL Centres under contract for next year in Sedin, Kesler, Richardson and Matthias. They will also likely go back in to re-sign Santorelli. I'd prefer to see Gaunce season a year minimum in the AHL and I'm not sure if Horvat is old enough/has played long enough in the CHL to play in the AHL next year or not.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yea Johnny I was talinkg about Shane O'Brian as a seventh guy that can police guys running Lack as Bieksa and Hammy can not or are not willing, Sastito just does not read what or when he should stop the guys from running the keeper.. Santorelli will re-sign dam it young man works his but off every shift and scores points. As far as Jensen on line one I just think he needs to play less minutes and play smart when he's on. In my opinion kid makes far too many mistakes defensive. Holds on a puck like a kid in WHL. As far as Horvat he will be ready for NHL. See I would like Kesler on LW. Team needs give Matthias more respect. Kesler could help Matthias to develop in to top six as he does have size and speed and a shot for top six. Matthias just needs to mark his man bit tighter around the net. Guy like O'Brian could teach the guys how to move the opponents from around the blue circle to help the keeper see the puck. Linden is a President but my man his but is on the line. He and his GM will be working very close to make sure the club makes the right moves.
Canucks are not though enough for western Div. Linden and his GM will have to help twins by getting the winger that can protect them. O'Brian likes twins he would do the job. Kassels is one smart hockey player could end up on top line in two three years.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny do you know where Lee Boldwin is playing. He use to play for Victoria. I wached that guy play. I am very surprized that Canucks would not track that guy down. He is a stay at home D with size. Also can take care of him self. Last I heard he was sent to ECHL.
Brady Brassart was also another guy Utica should track. Strong guy with size he can also score. Pavlo Radakin is another guy I do not see in NHL he dam well shoud be.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes Johnny I do but sometimes they play worse than AHL oe ECHL. Burrows came from that program in ECHL. I think he turned out to be good player. Lee Boldwin is twice as good as Canucks Roberts with about same size much younger and a Canadian to boot, he can skate and does not take dumb penalties. He was skinny kid when he was younger now he is same size as rest of the D in NHL.
One has to look for diamonds in the rough to move forward. Guys they draft are good for ECHL. Just watch Schrods will end up there.
I think Linden will take Jake Virtanen as a sixth pick if he does not go before. He can skate likes to get under D skin. Bring back Shane O'Brian where he belongs. Big Perry will slow down before he gets close to the net. Shane might wake Bieksa up from girly hockey.

Last edited:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shane O'Fcuking Brien is 30 (Should be the prime of his career) played Half the season the AHL for Abbotsford, because he wasn't GOOD ENOUGH to play on one of the few teams in the NHL with a WORSE record than the Vancouver Canucks! F.F.S.

Alex Burrows was a mature QMJHL Scorer (Finished his last year in the Q with over a point per game) and walked on in pro hockey instead of getting drafted and blessed into an Organization, much like the Canucks taking on Dane Fox as a project. For a player to find his way to a one-way NHL contract is a fluke, for the guy to turn into a 25-30 goal guy in the NHL is just dumb luck coupled with a perfect storm of coincidence and surrounding players, coaches and opportunity.

I'm sure glad as a guy who watches the Canucks that you're not in charge.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny if I was in charge of Canucks team would have three Stanley Cups by now. Linden is no better than any other joker they head What the hell does he know about club managing . Lack of toughness is the reason they lost all the games in California and it cost them a season. O'Brian is a type of they need only for one reason. He skates better than Alberts he is way tougher, he can still play four years. As far as Dane Fox you will see he will have more points than any guys they draft in this years draft. Kids fall down the draft list if they play for shyty junior teams.
I truly hope Linden adds a tough GM to be able to make trades needed. This years draft all the kids are good for second round. Only three guys stand out. Sam Bennit, Aron Akblad are true firs round guys. Reinhart just a blown name. I hope Linden goes off of the list and gets a guy like
Smith who goes hard in the corners or a Polleck, they are not in top thirty mock up list.
Guys on TSN talk so dam much but no Canadian teams made the play off's except Montreal. I think we are becoming AHL for US clubs. Canucks can only go forward with tough American and Canadian kids. Rest don't give a frack.
If you don't add strength to Canucks it will take five years before they get passed first round again. Kids like Todd Fiddler, Brandon Baddok, Ried Patryk should be given a chance to go to Utica. In two years club would get way tougher. As you can see Utica is also out from play off's.
Any team I coach in senior level always makes the play off's or there is no need to coach.
Club blames Torts. It is not his fault, team needs seven good players not seven forth line forwards. Torts should have told Gillis add three players or I will walk. He would have a job with cow town. Nice worm and nice music.
Every week that goes by and we hear nothing from Lindan must mean that Torts might stay. If I was him I would say trade me to another club with a player or two. He might get his wish.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Talk is Perlini will be the number one pick for Canucks if he is not taken before If he is taken than Virtanen. We might see All MacInnis youngster drafted by Canucks in second round, Eric Cornel or John Quenneville in third round. Romour is Shane Iieserman as fourth round pick. Mitch Slattery as fifth round Nick Magyar as sixth round and Wallaterri Hopponen in seventh round. This is all good but none of these guys but maybe Virtanen or Perlini will be able to play for main club in two years.
Biggest romour is that Bo will be part of a deal for a proven first line player. Talk is that Toronto wants Bo. We could see Gartner here along side of big Dutchman. What other player will go from Canucks I am not so sure. Picks could also be exchanged.
Also LA coach as a possible GM. Fun starts soon.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts