Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Caps, BCSA join forces to improve local soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gordon McIntyre said:
Caps, BCSA join forces to improve local soccer

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The scene at the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame on Monday looked almost like John Kerry and George W. Bush promising to let bygones be bygones as they agreed to share power for the common good.

Instead, it was the Whitecaps and the B.C. Soccer Association making official a ceasefire that will set in motion what both sides hope is a lasting peace to their drawn-out civil war.

"Absolutely it's about time," said Bob Lenarduzzi, director of soccer operations for the Whitecaps. "It's been a long time coming."

Added Victor Montagliani, president of the BCSA: "Yeah, it is a no-brainer. But sometimes the simplest things are the hardest things to realize. It's no secret soccer in B.C. has suffered from the perils of fragmentation for too long."

Several things came together to finally put all of soccer officialdom in B.C. on the same page but the last straw was Canada's continued embarrassment on the international stage, especially the Canadian men's pathetic World Cup qualifying efforts.

By joining forces the BCSA and the Whitecaps hope to not only improve local talent but, one day, make Canada a proud player on the international soccer scene.

"You're not going to see results next week," Montagliani said. "It's going to take years, but hopefully one day somebody will pull this archive up and say, 'Remember when that happened?'

"It's the catalyst of the Whitecaps getting better, of us getting better and the national team getting better."

As a result of the coming together of the warring sides, nine district development centres will be set up in the province: One at the Whitecaps new SFU training centre (Whitecaps men's coach Tony Fonseca will be the technical director), three in the Okanagan, two up north, one on the Sunshine Coast and two on the Island.

"I'd like to think what we're doing here in B.C. will be a model for the rest of the country," Lenarduzzi, a former Canadian star and coach of the national team, said.

"You can bring in the most qualified coach in the world, if he doesn't have the players to work with then he's handcuffed.

"In order to provide our national teams' coaches with better players, we need to provide a better delivery system."
I read the press release on the Caps site yesterday and it alluded to Fonseca being removed as head coach to take on this new position... a new head coach? No wonder Captain Shamrock has left the building, it all makes sense now :D

I still say the players are out there for Canada to have some better success. The problem seems to be that there are not enough 'scouts' to be looking for the talent.

But I suppose this is a good start.

~Regs.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well with Fonseca heading up the development of youth soccer camps, we know that the future BC player will learn to flop and dive with little or no help.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does this mean the abandonment of the Whitecaps "Y" league.?

I guess it will help strenghten the BC Provincial youth teams a little if the "Y" league is not in competition with BCSA, but we are still producing National Champions out of this province regardless. I think the problem is much deeper than this and we need to look at the infastructure of players and coaches in youth soccer Nationally before any positive steps are made to improve the National level in the senior programs.

I do have my theories, but it would take far too long to discuss them on this forum.

Cheers

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
crafty cokcney said:
Does this mean the abandonment of the Whitecaps "Y" league.?

I guess it will help strenghten the BC Provincial youth teams a little if the "Y" league is not in competition with BCSA, but we are still producing National Champions out of this province regardless. I think the problem is much deeper than this and we need to look at the infastructure of players and coaches in youth soccer Nationally before any positive steps are made to improve the National level in the senior programs.

I do have my theories, but it would take far too long to discuss them on this forum.

Cheers

As I understand it, the new structure will be tiered as follows.

1. Provincial Select Teams

2. Y League Teams

3. Intra-Provincial Teams

In each age group, the players who wish to try out for the Provincial select teams will be placed according to the above. If they do not make the Provincial team they will be placed on the Y league team. If they aren't good enough for that team, they will be placed on the appropriate Intra-Provincial team. There is no longer a competition between the Y league and the Provincial program but rather a uniting of both camps under the umbrella of BC Soccer. So, yes, the Whitecaps will still be in the Y league as far as I know but the players will be British Columbia identified players.

Like you Crafty, I have lots to say about our present state, but I cannot do it justice on here. Too many things to discuss.

I will say this. I have always felt that the Provincial program should and must take precedence above any other program given the fact we do not have a solid professional base in this province or country. It's just too bad that the Provincial program has not truly set or met most expectations of late. The Clubs have been more responsible in the development of the players which I don't believe BC Soccer neccessarily disagrees with and actually endorses to some extent (at least to be politically correct), but the evolution of these "developed" players into the hands of BC Soccer programs has been less than satisfactory. I will give them this. They are trying to address this problem and perhaps this latest move will be a good step.

Here's where I get a little skeptical. This latest restructuring better have had some good solid planning, and not be guilty of a knee-jerk reaction that will result in an abrupt halt of all plans down the near road, and ultimately lead us to another step in another direction that wasn't part of the initial objective. I hope that made sense.

I'll do my part to make it work.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Until Canadian players have three of four MLS caliber teams they can aspire to play at, where they'll play in their home country and be paid reasonably well to do it, our National program will continue to suffer. I truly hope this is what the Whitecaps are eventually aiming at...the A-League just isn't high enough caliber to develop the players.

That said, I agree: this is positive.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's just great!

Funny how this comes out right after the CSA, Toronto Lynx, York University, and the Toronto Argonauts jointly annouce the construction of that new outdoor stadium at York University.

Some other west coast entities feeling left in the cold, out of the spotlight?

Fcuk, quick, we better announce something positive!

;)

Getting an outdoor stadium in the Lower Mainland goes a long way to getting the game bigger at all levels out here.
I think this should be their focus.

Ballbaby said:
I'll do my part to make it work.

Thank fcuking God there's still hope now that Ballbaby's on the case.

:rolleyes: :p

Keep up the good work,

RF

:D

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree with you Dude. The MLS is the top league in North America and it should be a high-priority, longterm goal to get playing at that level (or whatever is the highest level at the time).

BC (or the West) needs a team in the MLS as do Quebec and Ontario (with the whole of Canada getting a shot). I think it's great that there will synergy be between the 'caps and BCSA. The other provinces would do well to do the same. That being said, it all comes down to direction and implimention (they have a pretty graphic on the Whitecaps site of a multi-level with the cursor/pointer visible: obviously some PowerPoint slide screenshot).

There would appear to be some benefits to having a private/public venture. It would have to be a profitable exercise (at least in the long run) and there'd better be a long term, realistic, measurable plan.

A few questions come to mind:

1) what happens to the existing BCSA coaching structure? Is Posse still in the loop as well as all the support staff?

2) how open will the books be and what kind of a legal and admistrative structure will be in place?

3) will this give strength to a fieldsports grass stadium (with no track) with seating for 15-20,000 and somewhere convenient to me?

4) are there too many Italians (read: Columbus vets) at the helm of this venture?

I think it's potentially a move in the right direction...I just hope some of the wiser heads (I'm not sure if that can be pluralised) on TTP have some say—veto power for all decisions taken would be good.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, seeings how this is a Whitecaps/BCSA affair and he owns the Whitecaps I'm just assuming...

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter said:
4) are there too many Italians (read: Columbus vets) at the helm of this venture?

Yes Peter, about one too many and his initials are Lennard Bobaduzzi.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You mean will his wallet be involved- God bless it.

How sad is it that the potential savior of soccer in Canada is just a Privately wealthy soccer fan who wants to see the game grow? How pathetic is that? Furthermore, how many 3rd world countries, where the game isn't even remotely developed at the youth level as it is here, have managed to find success at the international level?

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky, I know there are people who have their beefs with BL but in my opinion he's the best we've got to fill a high-profile, fairly articulate, totally-presentable, ambassadorial role. Who else is as visible in Canadian soccer? Forrest? Dolie?

I think a lot comes down to the logistics of how this will be run.

Reccos, you're up on the FOI act aren't you? I would think that most of the documentation that gets generated on the BCSA side of the agreement would be obtainable if there were anything suspicious detected.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter:

The FOI legislation on disclosure of documents/records only applies to public bodies in BC (prov'l gov't, municipal gov't, school boards, universities,etc.) and not to groups like BCSA or a private business like the Whitecaps. The key is public bodies and no, university students can't ask for the release of final exam materials from colleges or universities as the Act specifically excludes that kind of record from being released.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm with Jinky on this one.

Canadian soccer needs a face lift and the CSA has to recognize this before they are able to move forward. Too many old faces still around that get regenerated into different spots and continue to fail miserably. These guys have lost all credibility when they talk about success and the future of football here.

Cheers

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the BCSA website:

"Each year the BC Soccer Association holds two general meetings. The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held in June each year with the two primary functions of electing new directors and approving changes to the association's constitution. The Semi Annual General Meeting (SAGM) is held in January each year and provides the association with the opportunity to consult with the membership prior to the fiscal year end."

I don't know who the members of the BCSA are as it is also governed by the BC Societies Act and holds an AGM each year to be in compliance with the laws.

The AGM would be a good place to ask questions or contact any of the execs directly like Victor Montagliani or Mike Gilmore who is a director. The website gives their contact information and I am sure any of them will be glad to elaborate on this new arrangement.

--

I agree with the comments about the need for pro level games for our players. That has to be key and we have to more pros playing closer to home when it comes to World Cup qualifying. Nothing wrong with the guys playing in Europe but the balance of our national team not in good spots there but have high calibre local pro soccer.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crafty,

I hear what you are saying about old faces moved around but I'm really hoping that Vic is changing all this. You've got to hand it to him, he's made some significant inroads since he's been involved in the BCSA.

Let's just hope he doesn't get handcuffed by the old faces you allude to as the months go by.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmm... let's see what Vic has to say... I've left a message on his cell to call me and hopefully he'll share a few things for us.

Cheers,

~Regs.

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
quote"Furthermore, how many 3rd world countries, where the game isn't even remotely developed at the youth level as it is here, have managed to find success at the international level?"quote.

Best point made in this thread. As previously mentioned, 4-5 Mls teams in Canada
imo is the only way we will improve at the senior level.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
vratar said:
Best point made in this thread.

Really, perhaps you could explain what makes it a point, let alone the best.

On top of that why on Earth should the MLS expand into Canada? The point of the MLS was to improve the U.S. National team. Why the fcuk would they want to do a CONCACAF rival a favour?

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
Really, perhaps you could explain what makes it a point, let alone the best.

On top of that why on Earth should the MLS expand into Canada? The point of the MLS was to improve the U.S. National team. Why the fcuk would they want to do a CONCACAF rival a favour?

In the end the MLS is a business. They'll go anywhere if there is a chance to make money and maybe a couple of the larger Canadian cities could support that one day.

And Jinky, why are you such a crabby appleton lately? Either you need a hug or you need to copulate, or both, but that costs more money. :eek: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts