Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Caps, BCSA join forces to improve local soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many third-world country's offer the same options to their talented youths as career paths?

Really that's what we're dealing with: Canada can't be compared to ANY other soccer nation; there's a unique mix of factors that make it so. Climate, socioeconomic, geographic.

I think some unique and different thinking can't hurt the BCSA (you could call it homegrown Grandview Legion) because the imported philosophies haven't really worked out to date...to date one could also ask if it matters at all if anyone has any plan. Hopefully we can get more details soon.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
Really, perhaps you could explain what makes it a point, let alone the best.

On top of that why on Earth should the MLS expand into Canada? The point of the MLS was to improve the U.S. National team. Why the fcuk would they want to do a CONCACAF rival a favour?

You make a good point there, because you're absolutely correct on the original mandate of the MLS. I guess I'm not stating what could happen, but really, what needs to happen. Beside, if I'd said kettles were black, you'd call bullshit and tell me they're white.

Peter: yes, Canada does offer a wide variety of options, but not one of them is soccer. The A-League can't be considered a career move. If the players are very good, and very lucky, it may be a stepping stone, otherwise it's nothing more than a fun summer job. It's the "If you build it, they will come" theory.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Beside, if I'd said kettles were black, you'd call bullshit and tell me they're white.

Okay Dude sure, whatever you say, you're my nemesis right?

I suppose that everything you say is right and flawless and I only contradict you for the sake of arguing?

Go ahead and believe that if it makes you feel special.

ps Ballbaby, go copulate yourself. ;)

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be fair, the MLS has already expanded to another CONCACAF country with the inclusion of the CD (Club Deportivo) Chivas USA franchise scheduled to join the league next year.

CD Chivas is a satellite of the CD Guadalajara club based in Mexico. I found the following press release from the AP:

CD Chivas USA is billed as an extension of the Chivas brand, the nickname of CD Guadalajara. Chivas is one of Mexico's most popular teams, stemming in part from it only using native Mexican players. It is unclear if that policy will continue with the U.S. version.

"We want to keep this club and keep this club as true Chivas as possible," Rongen said. "I feel very strong about that. There is also a very good understanding, and I think myself is a prime example, that if you want to bring in the best people, you might have to go beyond a Mexican or Latino player, although that will always be first and foremost of our choices."

I think US Soccer has solidified their national program to the point where the growth/expansion of MLS would outweigh potential issues with "helping" rival CONCACAF competitors establish a feeder system within their own framework.

The benefits of adding a pro-latin fanbase in within the US (given the demographics) and the MLS's struggles financially are going to kill any complaints about a Mexican team running a feeder program in America. They've already got the US National program at #11 in the FIFA rankings. They need to ensure the MLS will survive.

Given that Mexico is the only real competitor to the US in terms of CONCACAF power, it would seem that expansion to Canada would seem far less dangerous than having one of the most storied (and exclusively native) Mexican club teams set up shop.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought about the Chivas example Sensei but dismissed the threat as Mexico is already a well established National side and all the reports I saw on Fox SportsWorld stated that the team would be playing out of L.A., though I could be mistaken.

"We want to keep this club and keep this club as true Chivas as possible," Rongen said. "I feel very strong about that. There is also a very good understanding, and I think myself is a prime example, that if you want to bring in the best people, you might have to go beyond a Mexican or Latino player, although that will always be first and foremost of our choices."

This quote however opens up yet another can of worms. How can a team get away with such an ethnic based signing policy in this day and age? If indeed thay are playing in L.A.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know I'm coming into this a bit late but having been involved with the Provincial Program over the last two years, I'm gald we have the Caps and BCSA joining forces.

For a long time know I have heard from friends coaching in both leagues how good each program is and why they should be on the top of the soccer heap here in BC. I'm gonna gave to agree with Ballbaby and his points made earlier. Working together is the best way to develop more soccer players in British Columbia. Who really cares whose at the at the top and which team gets to pick the cream first. The important issues here are, the young players throughout the province get an opportunity for excellent training and a shot at playing at a higher level than club soccer, development of good Provincial coaches who teach our young players (both Boys nad Girls) how to play the game of football not just fitness and individual skills but the team concepts, and finally who is going to head this whole thing up?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was kind of stunned when I read the Chivas ideal as well. I have no idea how that will fly, but I'm guessing this isn't the first time MLS brass have heard the notion of the club going with a pro-latin player pool. Apparently this is what CD Guadalajara has been priding itself on for decades - carrying an authentic, all-Mexican side.

The little I know about MLS is that there isn't a single solidified fan base in the entire league. It's not even close to competing with the MLB, NFL or NBA and as a regional entity, it still gets whooped by NASCAR and arena football. Obviously they're hoping that the Chivas satellite experiment creates a dynamic within the latin community where this large demographic connects with the team and loyal support is formed. If it means having to concede to player selection practices like the one mentioned in the press release, so be it. And you're right - the Mexican National Team probably doesn't stand to gain that much from the Chivas entry, given the fact they're already ranked #10 in the world.

In the same breath, I can't see them being too concerned about expansion teams having a drastic effect on a floundering soccer nation ranked 95th in the world. My guess is that if it made financial sense and MLS stood to gain from it, Canadian expansion would never get mentioned as a possible sabotage to the growth of the American National Soccer program. The gap between Canadian and American soccer is as wide as the grand canyon.

That being said, I guess it is a bit of a catch-22 in the sense that some of the expansion plans necessary for survival could actually work against one of the original tenets of the league, which was to improve the National Program. C'est la vie, I suppose.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This benefits the Whitecaps and BC Soccer programs but I can't see how this benefits the youth clubs who are the ones who are really doing all the developing.

I find it quite comical to hear about programs that, for the most part, take players at around 16 years of age who have spent 10 or so years developing with their club teams, and claim that by shelling out $1000's of dollars, they'll develop these players.

From what I understand, this decision was made without the blessing of the clubs, who provide these players. Once again, a floundering governing body making a decision for the rest of us without our consent. If BC Soccer and the Whitecaps really want to be progressive and improve the development of players in the province, work closer with the youth clubs, make decisions that will improve the competitiveness in youth soccer in BC, remove the shackles of district authorities that are stalling the progress of youth soccer, and start listening to the clubs who are the ones providing these players you so badly need, rather than the ones who have failed to progress in the last 20 years.

BC Soccer should really look at how the successful youth clubs produce players (SYSA, Surrey United, Metro-Ford, Abbotsford, Burnaby), come up with a scheme or blue print for other less successful CLUBS to follow and help these other clubs improve their infrastucture, instead of arrogently claiming that it doesn't matter what any club does, they, BC Soccer, are the ones who do all the developing.

As I see it, Abbotsford (they have there own PDL teams thanks to innovative thinking and being outside the 'Whitecap' boundary) is doing quite a great job at developing talent at these same age groups that BC Soccer and Whitecaps are after (3-time consecutive Provincial Champions, 2 time Canadian champion in U-18 in the last 3 years). I would really like to hear what Franz Bakingpowder and other ASA members think about this merger.

As far as the MLS situation, the MLS, Anheuser Busch, Nike and Honda (big financial backers of the MLS) have the same philosophy as every other big US company concerning globalization. Expansion into other markets can only sell their brand. Toronto is bound to get one in the next few years. They love places that have their own stadium.

To the MSL's credit, they are changing into more of a 'football entity' rather than a bigtime US league. At one time, MLS only wanted franchises that had access to stadiums with 50 000+ capacities. They soon discovered that TV is the way to go and that half empty stadiums (if that) do not create great atmosphere or television. They are now looking for places with 20 000+ stadiums with large population bases that will provide great atmosphere rather than 50 000 capacities that is really unrealistic at this early stage.

They like the Chivas situation because they will both play out of the Home Depot stadium (30 000?) and create a rivalry or local derby. If Seattle get's a franchise, Vancouver will be in with a shout IF they get the soccer/rugby stadium we so badly need.

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
quote"I thought about the Chivas example Sensei but dismissed the threat as Mexico is already a well established National side"

I highly doubt the US national soccer program would be worried about Canada's national team vastly strengthening or establishing itself as a north american powerhouse should we get a few mls teams. The business economics would dictate any mls expansion into Canada and probably would be the only preliminary concern to those involved south of the border. imo, an improved Canadian brand of soccer could benefit a potential rivalry between the two national teams and who knows it may boost the economic side of the game as more people take interest. Like any pro sport its always about the money, more money = better players. btw, it would probably take more than a few years to even slightly improve our national team on the world stage with a few mls teams here. It would be a good start though, imo.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Province Newspaper said:
$10m price tag obstacle to MLS team for Canada

The Canadian Press, Friday, October 29, 2004

News that A-League franchises in Calgary and Edmonton have shut their doors gives little hope that Canada can support a Major League Soccer franchise.

But with the green light going to a 25,000-seat stadium at York University, Toronto will have the necessary home to catch Major League Soccer's eye. Now Hogtown just needs in excess of $10 million US.

The MLS is currently at 10 teams, with new franchises on deck in Salt Lake City and Los Angeles, where the new team will share the Home Depot Center with the Galaxy.

Both new franchises paid $10 million to join the league. Expect the admission fee to go up next time.

The MLS is on record as saying it would welcome two more teams in 2006 or 2007.

But the league is smart enough to know that expansion to the wrong places is akin to one step forward, two steps back.

The league has already had to close franchises in Tampa and Miami.

So the MLS is going to take the best-heeled bids it can get.

The Canadian Soccer Association is essentially trying to act as matchmaker in linking the CFL Toronto Argonauts ownership to others with the resources to get involved in bringing a new MLS franchise to town.

Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer of the CSA, says many minority partners would probably be needed to pull off a deal.
I suppose with Edmonton and Calgary dropping out of the A-League, Alberta should rebound nicely from this year's dismal showing at the Canadian Club Championships :D

Losing those 2 teams right now though must be a huge set-back for the CSA... 1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Also, in yesterday's paper, it was reported that the Whitecaps head coaching job is down to 3 people: Nic D, Chris Bennett, and some dude from the states who built up the Impact in Montreal. With Fonseca gone, will we see the return of McGregor? :D

~Regs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Province Newspaper said:
Leading coach takes reins of the Whitecaps

Gordon McIntyre
The Province

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Bob Lilley, a two-time A-League coach of the year, meets the media on Monday.

The Whitecaps got their man Monday, even as they went outside the family for the first time in the franchise's 19-year history.

Bob Lilley, a two-time A-League coach of the year with the Montreal Impact, was introduced as the fifth coach in 86ers/Whitecaps history.

"I wanted to get the best possible candidate," Bob Lenarduzzi, director of soccer operations, said. "In the past, that individual has been from Vancouver. Obviously we don't have a budget that would allow us to search worldwide, but since owner Greg Kerfoot's involvement, there's more available to encourage a Bob Lilley to come to Vancouver."

By going outside the organization -- the franchise's past four coaches all played for Vancouver -- Lenarduzzi hopes to shake off the complacency that had settled over Burnaby Mountain and Swangard Stadium in recent years.

"Bob's a no-nonsense coach," said Lenarduzzi, Vancouver's coach from 1987-93. "I haven't seen him in action in the change room, but I've heard a few stories along the way that indicate if he needs to lay down the hammer, he's very capable of doing that. Some of our players approach it from the point of view that it's something to do in the summer. That's not good enough. It will be interesting to see who stands up and who steps down."

Even players who'd been cut by Lilley give him high marks, Lenarduzzi said.

Lilley coached the Hershey Wildcats for five seasons, reaching the championship game in 2001, which Hershey lost 2-0 to the Rochester Raging Rhinos.

He followed that with his award-winning, two-year stint in Montreal, where he coached 'Caps midfielder Martin Nash for a year.

In Montreal, Lilley had a regular-season record of 32-15-9 over two seasons, but was just 1-3-2 in the playoffs.

The 38-year-old native of New Jersey in 2003 helped one of his former Hershey assistants coach the women's college team at Gettysburg, Penn.

He's known as a taskmaster who knows the devil is in the details; his teams are well prepared. As for coaching philosophy: Think Teutonic, not Latin.

"The most important statistic to me is the goal differential," he said.

His 2003 Impact team gave up just 21 goals, while scoring 40. But those 40 goals mostly came the way he prefers, off chances created by a committed defence.

The job came open when Lenarduzzi last week put former coach Tony Fonseca in charge of the club's development program. In his playing days, Lilly was a star in the indoor NPSL with Hershey and Harrisburg. He joined Seattle Sounders coach Alan Hinton as the only two-time A-League coach of the year.

- - -

86ERS/CAPS COACHES

Bob Lenarduzzi, 1987-93
Carl Valentine, 1994-99
Dale Mitchell, 2000-01
Tony Fonseca, 2002-04
Bob Lilley, 2005-

Bob Lilley in A-League

Year Team Reg. season Playoffs

2003 Mont. 16-6-6; 0-1-1
2002 Mont. 16-9-3; 1-2-1
2001 Hershey 16-7-3; 3-2
2000 Hershey 15-10-3; 0-1
1999 Hershey 17-11; 4-2
1998 Hershey 19-9; 3-2
1997 Hershey 19-9; 1-2

A no-nonsense coach... will be interesting to see how some of the current roster reacts to this next year!

Cheers,

~Regs.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
A no-nonsense coach...

Looks like Bob Lilly is wasting no time with his no-nonsence approach. He has just announced that he will not allow any Orange Juice on not only Team Flights, but on all Team Road Trips. This guy doesn't mess around, next he will be saying you can't Tag Team any Flight Attendants.

hos

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
next he will be saying you can't Tag Team any Flight Attendants.
Fcuking Americans always trying to impose their will on the rest of the world :mad:

Too funny :D

~Regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0