Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cart: Discussion for the 2003 season.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
She sure is purdy.

Seeing as how you said please.:rolleyes: :D

She took third in the Atlantics race in Monterry. She can drive, and she's hot.:eek:

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
just what CART needs...

Road America files countersuit

The Canadian Press

4/8/2003

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (AP) - Road America has filed a countersuit against CART, alleging the open-wheel racing body broke its contract with the track when it cancelled a scheduled race.
Road America filed the countersuit Monday in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis. The company is seeking monetary damages. CART filed suit against the track in February, claiming it had not received the final installment of the sanctioning fee for last year's race or the first payment for the race that was scheduled for Aug. 3 this year.
"We were in full compliance with our 2002 and 2003 CART agreements," track president George Bruggenthies said in a statement Tuesday. "Before CART announced they were cancelling our race, we were operating in good faith and we were actively promoting the 2003 race.
"We had no idea that CART did not plan to run the race as they had contractually agreed to do."
Road America said in the countersuit that CART agreed to share in any losses or profits under an amendment last year to a contract signed in 1999. But the track said CART eventually refused to share in the loss.
The amendment also included a reduced sanctioning fee, which Road America paid the first instalment of on March 7, the company said.
CART refused the payment March 10 and cancelled the race.
A message left late Tuesday for Indianapolis-based CART by The Associated Press was not immediately returned.
"We remain hopeful that we can resolve the issues, put the differences behind us and develop a mutually beneficial contract for 2003 and beyond," Bruggenthies said.
CART has raced at Road America since 1982.

more Danica please...

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've read in another forum that CART and Road America are talking. Mario Andretti is supposed to be the one brokering the deal. Him and a un-named CART owner are going to promote the race if everything goes as planned.

Look for it to be on the schedule by the end of April. That was the deadline date set by all parties involved.

More Danica later. This isn't a chick thread.:rolleyes:

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This isn't a chick thread.
If chicks want to come on here and talk racing and look at pictures of Danica, all the power to them.

It will be interesting to see if Mario can get the deal done. He will do whatever he can to help this series succeed. He sure was pissed at Micheal for heading to to the minor league series. I had read some where that it caused quite a bit of friction between them. Hopefully everything will work out for the best with the Road America race!

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Three for three...

Tracy wins third straight Champ Car race

Associated Press

4/13/2003

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) - Canadian Paul Tracy is in foreign territory, undefeated and leading the CART Champ Car World Series after winning the first three races of the season.
"I've got 64 points after the first three races," Tracy said, a bit of wonder in his voice. "I think that's only about 35 points less than I had the whole season last year."
The 34-year-old Toronto native actually had 101 points last year to finish 11th in the standings. But his victory Sunday in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach made him the first CART driver to open a season with three victories.
Tracy took advantage of Michel Jourdain Jr.'s misfortune to earn his third victory at Long Beach. Jourdain, who started from the pole for the first time in his CART career, looked as if he would get his first victory until his final pit stop, 18 laps from the end of the 90-lap race.
His Team Rahal crew put on four tires and added enough fuel to get Jourdain to the end, but his Ford Cosworth-powered Lola wouldn't go into first gear as he tried to get out of the pits.
Tracy made his final stop a lap earlier, and his Team Player's crew finished in a near-perfect 7.2 seconds. He managed to get back onto the 1.968-mile, 11-turn downtown street course just ahead of Adrian Fernandez.
After Jourdain failed to get back on track, Tracy steadily pulled away, crossing the finish line 4.544 seconds ahead of Fernandez - about 30 car lengths.
A little bit of luck never hurts...3 for 3.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's unfortunate for Michel Jourdain. He was the fastest out there Sunday. I'm a PT fan, but Jourdain should have won.

Not a bad race. The camera angle at the end of Shoreline Dr. when the come around the hairpin and accelerate was pretty awsome.

Brands Hatch coming up. On a Monday? Fcuking Brits.:mad:

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look at me! I'm in a gay thread!

Brands Hatch coming up. On a Monday? Fcuking Brits

Fcuking Easter Monday innit? Resurrection and all that caper.

We get Good Friday and Easter Monday off in Lion's Gateshire.

It's so everyone can go to the fcuking CART race meet.

Fcuking heathen.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zanardi back???

Zanardi to lap German track

TSN.ca Staff

4/14/2003

Alex Zanardi is apparently planning to do more than just wave the green flag at next month's CART event in Germany.
Zanardi is scheduled to be the Grand Marshal of the event where he lost the use of both his legs in a crash with Canadian Alex Tagliani back in 2001. There are plans to have him turn some laps behind the wheel of a specially-modified CART car.
One report says Zanardi will do at least 13 laps around the Lausitzring circuit - the same number of laps he had left in the 2001 race before he was involved in the accident.
The former CART champion has already competed in a modified kart in the Race of Champions at the Bologna Motor Show last December. Zanardi has vowed to return to some form of competitive racing, having mentioned the 24 Hours of Le Mans and some kind of involvement in CART.
"If you ask me whether I would compete again in CART, there are two aspects I have to consider," said Zanardi last December. "If they changed the rules a little to allow power brakes, then I could see myself driving with only my hands."
This is pretty amazing...

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Look at me! I'm in a gay thread!

Originally posted by Fastshow

Fcuking Easter Monday innit? Resurrection and all that caper.

We get Good Friday and Easter Monday off in Lion's Gateshire.

It's so everyone can go to the fcuking CART race meet.

Fcuking heathen.
That would make you gay then?

The race at Brands is on May 5th. A bank holiday or something? Will you be going?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mario did it!

I told you so.:D
CART returns to Road America

TSN.ca Staff

4/23/2003

The road to the 2003 CART championship just got a bit longer with the reinstatement of the race at Road America in Wisconsin.

CART officials cancelled the race in March, claiming it had not received the final installment of the sanctioning fee for last year's race or the first payment for this year's event.

Road America then filed a countersuit, claiming it was in compliance with all contracts.

Since then, former CART and Formula One champion Mario Andretti got involved in mediation talks to try and resolve the situation. Both sides have now agreed to cease any and all legal action and the race has been re-scheduled for August 3 at Elkhart Lake.

In recognition of his efforts, the race will now be known as the Mario Andretti Grand Prix at Road America.

"Road America has always been one of the premier tracks in the United States and is probably the most popular venue among the drivers on the CART Champ Car circuit," said Andretti, who won three Road America events. "It was a track that we needed to have on our schedule to maintain the series’ standing as the truest challenge in open-wheel racing."

"I must thank Mario Andretti for his tireless efforts toward getting Road America back on our schedule," said CART Champ Car President and CEO Christopher R. Pook. "It is great to see that he has the same level of passion for the heritage of CART Champ Car racing that he did when he was behind the wheel."

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The race is now over...and so is Tracey's run for 4 in a row...
Sebastien Bourdais scored his first Champ Car win in only his fourth start. The Frenchman managed great fuel mileage, took the lead at the first round of pit stops, and then led his teammate, Bruno Junqueira home for a Newman/Haas 1-2.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done for Bourdais. It's about time he won one. Should have won one of the first two. Too bad about PT's car, but we wouldn't want him to run away with it now would we?:D Taped the race so I'll watch it when I get home. Were you there Fasty? Did you get me a shirt?

This is from CART.com.
, 2003) – "Profiles in Courage" is a book written by late U.S. President John F. Kennedy that studied some of the great men of history, but former Champ Car titlewinner Alex Zanardi may spark a need for a rewrite after what he will accomplish prior to the May 11 German 500.

The 1997 and ’98 CART champion will make an unprecedented return to the ****pit of a 750hp Champ Car less than two years after suffering the traumatic amputation of both legs during an accident at the 2001 Champ Car race at EuroSpeedway Lausitz, as he will be driving a specially-prepared race car with hand controls that will allow him to finish the final 13 laps of the race that he did not get to complete in 2001.

The car will be fitted with a hand clutch and throttle mechanism that will allow Zanardi to drive the laps around the two-mile superspeedway at speed, making the popular Italian champion the first driver to ever pilot a serious race car by using hand controls.

“I am honored to serve as the Grand Marshal for the German 500 and look forward to seeing all of the Champ Car fans again,” Zanardi said. “It was always nice to be cheered by the crowd and it will be great to hear those cheers even through a symbolic effort such as this.”

The idea was developed through the efforts of Champ Car Director of Technology Lee Dykstra and Adam Schaechter, who was a race engineer at Mo Nunn Racing when Zanardi raced with the team in 2001. The Ford-Cosworth/Reynard/Bridgestone machine will be painted to match the #66 car that Zanardi was driving when he suffered his accident on Lap 142 of the 2001 event.

“I’m really excited about this and the opportunity to do this with Alex because I know that it is something that he really wants to do,” Schaechter said. “The challenge really is just to make the car comfortable for Alex. Getting it to where he can drive it is not really a problem, and I know that he is not interested in doing anything half-measure. He will want to go flat out.”

The task was made easier for the engineers after Zanardi sent a surprising report to Schaechter about a trip to a local karting track with his son and his nephew. As the boys were rocketing around the track, Alex was coaxed into trying a few laps. His lower limb was secured to the brake pedal while he worked the throttle lever with his hand, but Zanardi found to his surprise that he could put enough pressure on the brake to get the car stopped and was immediately turning fast laps in the kart. He immediately sent an email message telling Schaechter of the development, which was a relief to the designers of the car controls.

“The most difficult part for us was to find a way to get the car stopped that was going to be 100 percent reliable,” Dykstra said. “We were experimenting with hydraulics when we found out that Alex could work the brake himself. That made things much easier.”

The fact that the car, which is being built and fielded by Mi-Jack Conquest Racing, with considerable help from Derrick Walker’s organization, is running on a superspeedway makes the task a bit easier. The road-course wing package on the car means that Zanardi can run comfortably at top speed nearly all the way around the track.

Zanardi tested the car earlier this week prior to the Brands Hatch event, and the hand controls were tested last week in a private test at Indianapolis Raceway Park with 1991 Indy Lights champion Eric Bachelart at the wheel. The 15-time Champ Car race winner will also be re-licensed as an official series driver by Chief Steward Chris Kniefel.
To coin one of the Captains terms, Tre-men-dous! Zinardi is amazing. I hope they show this on TV. I'm sure they will. I'd love to see it.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zanardi finishes laps at EuroSpeedway

Associated Press

5/11/2003

KLETTWITZ, Germany (AP)
- Alex Zanardi completed what he called his "20-month pitstop" on Sunday.

It looked like he'd never been away from a track where he lost both his legs - and nearly his life - in a gruesome crash with Canadian Alex Tagliani.

Back at the same EuroSpeedway driving a maroon-and-white Champ Car with No. 66 stenciled on the side - almost identical to the original - he flashed around reaching speeds of 195 m.p.h.

"Here comes Alex," the public address announcer screamed each time he flashed by, fans rising at the two-mile oval to create a very quick wave.

Zanardi pitted after 13 "ceremonial laps," the number he still needed to complete on Sept. 15, 2001, when he swerved back onto the oval after a pit stop, lost control and was struck broadside by Tagliani.

"This has been emotional for me, a lot of things are going through my mind. But I'm happy I was able to complete the race from 1½ years ago," he said.

"Maybe the most emotional moment came on Friday night in testing when I got goosebumps when my memories of the race started to come back to me."

"Today I was concentrating on the job I had to do and I was keeping my eyes on the road."

His wife, Daniella, bent over to kiss him in pit lane after the laps. Drivers waiting to run the German 500 circled around to shake his hand as he waved a checkered flag to the fans, who were barely visible to him though a barrier of photographers and friends.

"It was a great sensation for me being on the course again and when my fellow drivers came up to celebrate with tears in their eyes. It was cool. Really cool."

Zanardi delivered another kiss as he was wheeled into the garage.

Climbing out of the car - pulling himself up by the arms and then swinging his artificial legs over the left side - he stood up and then bend down and pressed his lips to the edge of his Mi-Jack Conquest Racing car.

"A job well done," he said. "It was just awesome, just fantastic. I'm just happy that I can leave with memories of this highest level of racing rather than my last memory being a big shunt. I'm proud of what I did and that's a good feeling."

"I have to thank the fans for their support. It was a wonderful return for me to Germany."

Zanardi drove the car using a hand control for the clutch and throttle. He braked with his artificial right leg, which was fitted to a special pedal.

Zanardi's top time of 37.487 seconds would have put him fifth on the grid on Sunday. He said he has no plans to return to "top" class driving but may race "low pressure" events like the Daytona International Raceway 24-hour race.

He's already contacted Mario Andretti about his idea.

He said he has no memory of the accident and, despite early bouts with depression, he said the crash was behind him.

"There are people in my shoes who would probably feel very unlucky for what they have lost," he said Friday when he drove a 10-lap test. "I feel very fortunate for what I have kept."

The publicity his recovery generates is being used to raise money for the charitable Alex Zanardi Foundation. He recently donated $111,000 Cdn to a French foundation for children's aid.

CART reportedly is paying him about $70,000 this weekend, which he hopes will help boost his foundation's year-end balance to $278,000. He said it would go to another children's charity.
Quite amazing to see this considering all that has happend. The fact that his quickest lap was good enough for fifth on the grid is incredible. If this guy isn't hero material, I don't know who would be.

As for the race, not bad. The end was very exciting with the top three finishing within a half second(or less)of eachother. Bourdais was blocking Dominguiaz at the end though. Dominguiaz was penalized for it near the start of the race, but Bourdais got away with it. I wonder why?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Minniwakee, meaning the good land, was a pretty sweet race. Under the lights was a pretty amazing. Jourdain was dominatine and deserved the win. Tracy would have done well had his tire guy actually put his rear left tire on.:rolleyes: I look forward to the next night race on Cleveland's Burke Lakefront Airport. Should be great.

In the meantime, here is an interesting little tidbit of info:
F1, CART partnership on the horizon?

TSN.ca Staff

6/3/2003

CART president Chris Pook has given his strongest indication that talks between the North American open-wheel series and Formula One are further along than many might suspect.

"Stay tuned," Pook is quoted as saying by the Indianapolis Star when asked about the status of talks between himself and F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

However, Pook did caution about any quick resolutions.

"He's got some troubles," Pook said, referring to ongoing talks between F1 manufacturers and three German banks over the future of the sport's marketing rights. "We're trying to develop a strategic relationship, and when the time is right, we'll talk about it."

Since CART is a publicly traded company, Pook said he could not publicly talk about future discussions involving Formula One except to say that "there's a lot going on in this company", meaning CART.

It was reported earlier this year that Ecclestone was prepared to buy a majority interest in CART and take the company private again. However, it now appears a different kind of partnership between the two series is a more likely scenario.

Several CART owners, notably Gerald Forsythe, have gone on the record as saying a partnership between CART and F1 would be a positive thing.

"There are a lot of synergies that could be put to work for both series," said Forsythe. "With the right partnership, it would be much better for CART than the way it's structured now."

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For sale: Cart.

As of today, Cart is for sale. Anyone have a few billion dollars they can lend me?

Good race yesterday with just enough drama and passing to make it exciting. Good to see Patrick win and PT back up on the podium. As per usual Junky wanked about his race even though he came in second. If I see that guy at the Vancouver race I'm going to slap him in the mouth and tell him to quit wanking. Then I'm going to smash a beer can on my head and guzzle what is left.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PT is the shizzle ma nizzle! The boss apple sauce. That guy cracks me up.:D

It was a good race. Nice to see Fernandez get a win after all the shite he had to go through last year. I like the rivalries that are starting to take shape now. Lot's of trash talking going on. If it keeps up, people might to start to take notice of this series. Best around in my opinion.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another good race in the Cart series. Cleveland under the lights was pretty sweet. Lot's of passing, and drama. A good race all around. I won't post too much on it seeing as how I'm the only one here these days.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
tha'Rob

Interesting race - is it just my imagination, or did PT's car really just not have the guts to catch up to Bourdais after the last yellow flag? Looked to me like his car was running about 10 HP stronger than PT's......

Pieces,

Stew:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts