Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CBC Sports Bias Eastern Programing

Is the CBC ripping off the Westcoast audience???

• No, is Vancouver even in Canada?

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No, Vancouver gets enough coverage they should shut it!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes, we need more Saturday night games covered!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Yes, the Canucks are on fire and need to be recognized!

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am sick of the same old bullshite coming from Hogtown!!! This weekend of the 9th of Feb was the last straw!!! They are able to show us Toronto vs Montreal, but not show the Canucks vs Calgary!!! For this I had to write a complaint to the bastards at the CBC and give them my "Western" point of view...

Here is the e-mail:

I am an avid viewer of Hockey Night in Canada and a die hard Vancouver Canucks fan. For several years I have enjoyed the CBC broadcasts and only recently have been lucky enough to have Rogers Sportsnet "Pacific" broadcast many more Canucks games on a regional basis. Now us way out here in the Hinterland of TORONTO have a home network that shows 45 + games per season. We also still have the luxury of getting CBC's Hockey Night in Canada most Saturday nights.
I can't help but feel second (maybe 3rd) class to the media mecca of Toronto and its beloved Maple Leafs. Week in week out us on the Westcoast of Canada get every single Maple Leaf broadcasts. However we still only get most Canucks games and that's only if they don't conflict with your schedualing of Anne Murrey and Friends! What's going on over there in Hogtown? Why do you on a consistent basis enjoy slapping the faces of your westcoast audience? A couple of months back a labour dispute blacked out a Canucks game in British Columbia and on the same day still managed to show the "Leafs" Nationally! My first reaction was "Bastards"!
Yes a little harsh you may think, but don't you also think I have every reason to be upset with (what is supposed to be) our National station? The point of this e-mail (moot complaint if you will) is to let someone over there in "Tarana" know that we on the westcoast are Canadian as well. We may not have a large French speaking population, but we are a multicultural society with many different languages. Made up of many Canuck fans that on Saturday are ready to watch "Their Team" play on Hockey Night in Canada!
So this Saturday, Feb.09/02. why is Toronto vs Montreal on the tube and the Vancouver vs Calgary game not televised? Yes I love the Olympics, but if you have three hours to spare Nationally, surely you can find three measly "Western hours" to broadcast the biggest show of the day out here. How about you leave the olympic coverage on for the three hours of the "Leafs" game (out in the westcoast of course) and subsitute the Olympic games for three hours later in the evening! Futher more get "Mr. Canadian Hockey" Don Cherry to come out here once in a while to do a live broadcast on Coaches Corner. We would love to have him, or is that not in your Toronto budget?
I now realise and by noticing your address (cbcsports@toronto.cbc.ca) that in fact you really are Hockey Night in Toronto (and its surrounding areas)! Tell me this isn't true? Tell me I am imagining the whole thing!
Unfortunately I doubt it!

Cheers, From Vancouver, Beautiful British Columbia.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're the man.

Well done Guinness. Be sure to post the response. I'd like to know what their excuse is.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you fcuking kidding?

I was expecting to attend a Canucks/Flames party on Saturday! Crap!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can see the responce going something like this....

To whom it may concern we here in the center of the Universe sympathize with you honest. Unfortunately we just don't give enough of a damn about one wee mans rants because he can't watch his on again off again Canucks.

The Facts are the leafs are a better team and draw. The population is twice that of yours who actually watch TV. Not to mention the time difference. If we are to sell prime time advertising to the masses an make ourselves fatter and richer what's a better time. 7:00 TO time or 10:00? Give your Lerb filled head a shake. Try not to loses any rocks. You may need them.

Shouldn't you be outside jogging or something? Perhaps JUMP IN A LAKE. Get a life loser and quit wasting our time! BTW, your not imagining anything we don't give a piss about you or your Canucks. Now....... Fcuk off!

Or something like that..... :rolleyes:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had to send a comment myself.

And it went like this:
Why is the Toronto/Montreal game being televised but not the Vancouver/Calgary game? If the reason is simply due to the Olympic coverage, and only one game can be afforded to be broadcast, then I would expect that a more meaningful, and tighter game would be shown: either Calgary/Vancouver fighting for a playoff spot and Vancouver being arguably the hottest team currently in the NHL; or, Toronto/Montreal, 10 points and 4 places apart.

Frankly this is bad decision made by an Eastern-based, geocentric, narrow-minded "national" broadcast centre whose primary purpose is to satisfy the demands of only two provinces.

Thanks for nothing.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness,

How come you don't post like that on TTP? :rolleyes:

Well done on the use of the word moot. It would've been even better if you used somewhere the TTP spelling of our second favorite word 'FCUK' :D

~TB.

Liverpool=Champs

Dec 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow KNVB actually knows how to spell Hockey

"The Leafs are a better team" yeah KNOB of course they are(Fri Jan.25/02 Canucks 6-1 Maple weaks)this score means the leafs lost KNOB.The last time I checked the Canucks were unbeaten in their last 8, and the leafs have won only 4 of their last 10.

L=CwhoisthinkingKNOBshouldstayinthesoccerthreads

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
L=C,

Do you know the word sarcasm? If I had a nickel for everytime things posted here on TTP went over your head, I'd have, well, more than Ryan Walter :rolleyes:

~TB.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW

Quick response time!!! I thought I would recieve a pink slip from Regs on my daft and MOOT poll!!! It goes to show that we do give a FCUK on TTP!!! My only regret is I never game my TTP address and told whoever over there in Hockey Night in Toronto to respond to us, TTPers the voices that need to be heard!!!

Knvb, really nice post you muppet:rolleyes: :rolleyes:get on the bandwagon whitey!!!

Guinnesswillposttheirreply(ifany):mad: comeshisway!!!

Liverpool=Champs

Dec 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What do you mean?

Is that a bad thing or something? I don't get it. I guess this means it went over my head.Damn I hate when that happens.

L=Cwhoisthinkingregshas2muchtimeonhishands

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RE: from the CBC

"HockeyNight InCanada" <HNIC@CBC.CA>

Reply-To :

Subject :
Re: CBC Sports Bias Eastern Programing (Your letter to HNIC...)

Date :
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:34:52 -050

Thank you for your email, we appreciate hearing your feedback. For more
information about Hockey Night in Canada, please read our FAQ at
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/faq.html. If you are sending a comment or
suggestion for HNIC, please be assured that your comments will be passed on to
the appropriate individuals. We thank you for taking the time to write to us.

BASTARDS!!!

Guinnessknewthesefcukswouldnotcare!!!:mad: :mad:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And look at the very first question in the f.a.q.'s:
Why don't we show more Canadiens' games or other Canadian teams?
Four years ago it was decided that we would cut back on the number of Game 1 doubleheaders due to budgetary reasons. We may, at times, show two games at 7 p.m. ET, when they have strong significance and include a Canadian team. The Montreal Canadiens have had a tough time winning games over the past few years and we have decided to cutback on our coverage of their games. However, most, if not all the Habs' Saturday night games, are on Radio Canada.
Doesn't really address "other Canadian teams", does it?

P.S. Try this link instead: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/faq.html.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was sure the Canucks game would be on TV Saturday Night!!!!!!

FCUK!!!!!!

Anyways a job well done Guiness!!!!

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks

Guinness,

Well done!!!! Just wanted to show my support and I am going to email the fcuk-wads myself.

5btjumpsonthebandwagon......Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nae Bollocks!!!

To all the twats who voted no (and didn't post)... you have no balls!!! come on here and do as you please, after all that is why Regs puts on such a great website, however you slapnuts that have the nerve to vote against the Canucks but won't post your reason... I say you're all a bunch of yellow bastards!!! post why you think the Canucks aren't deserving of some:rolleyes: recognition from the wanks in Hogtown!!!:mad: after all we do need to TTP you lot!!!:p isn't that what this is all about:confused:

Guinnesshatesabunchofchickenbastards!!!:mad: :mad:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, Vancouver gets enough coverage they should shut it!

Yellow? I fancy orange myself.

Guinness you started a great thread here and you have the TTP hockey world all a buzz. I even applaud you for taking the initiative and e-mailing them. Try not to fcuk it up by now thinking your cool.

It's all about the money.

The Daft Dutchman

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tragiclly UnHip

Go down to the CBC office in Vancouver with a Gun and demand that they play the Nuck's game.

Then some father from Prince Goerge can drive to his local CBC station office with a gun, and demand that the Leaf's game be played because his son is playing in the Game.

DajaHOS:eek:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Daft Dutchman

Your opinion (once again):rolleyes: is MOOT!!!
Try not to fcuk it up by now thinking your cool.
now shut it or I'll have to embarass you in front of the Executioner and your arrows mates!!!:mad:
BTW, my mum says I am cool :cool: :cool: :cool:

Guinnessnamedthedaftdutchmanandcantakeitbackquiteasfast:eek:

RBM

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice thread. I wrote the other day too. Here's the enitre
exchange for those interested:

me:
Once again I'm very disapointed to see that Montreal and Toronto are cozy in their place on Saturday, but the Canucks (and Calgary) get screwed again!! If the olympics are so important
don't show either game, but really you should show both. Very misguided and unfair... or... how 'bout show the canucks and calgary and not the toronto and montreal game? NAW, THAT would never happen... "no easter bias", my ass!!

them:
Hello,
The Vancouver game was never in our broadcast schedule. I'm not sure where you got that information but it is incorrect.
The Toronto game that afternoon was however always in the schedule, and is part of our contractual obligation with the NHL. We also must abide by our contract for Olympic coverage. It is not a biased decision, it is the way our contract is set-up.
As the public broadcaster it is our responsibility to broadcast events that are important to all Canadians. The CBC network is proud to be Canada's host for the Olympic Games, and many Canadians are looking forward with great interest to this event. We're sorry you don't share this opinion.
Thank you for your email.

Me:
Which information is incorrect? A Canadian Team playing on a Saturday is/should always be in your broadcast schedule. I think. But I never said it was. It obviously wasn't because of the olympics BUT you deem the Montreal Toronto game more important than the Olympics and the Canucks Calgary game less important. It is this obvious fact that just kinda sucks.

them:
The Toronto game that afternoon was however always in the schedule, and is part of our contractual obligation with the NHL. We also must abide by our contract for Olympic coverage. It is not a biased decision, it is the way our contract is set-up.

me:
It is biased. You chose one game over the other. Picking the other game would never happen and you know it.

them:
As the public broadcaster it is our responsibility to broadcast events that are important to all Canadians. The CBC network is proud to be Canada's host for the Olympic Games, and many Canadians are looking forward with great interest to this event. We're sorry you don't share this opinion.

me:
Of course i share this opinion to a certain degree, but not at the expense of my team playing on a saturday night. Luge or Hockey? hmmm. That is the point of HNIC, no? You even called it "the toronto game" when i said "Montreal and Toronto" Now if that's not bias caught red handed...

I'm actually in toronto and have the nhl digital package because there are no canucks games on here ever... but i did it for my dad and all my friends back home where i will be returning to in the summer and i like writing letters...

Oilers27

Feb 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah i wrote them a nice e-mail to and they never got around to e-mailing me back but well done Guinness with your e-mail

CBC LICKS NUTZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts