Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champions League 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the aggregate is a good idea but the away goals can really screw a team. Take Barcelona yesterday absolute dominance, they even had more possession and chances in the first game, but if Alba didn't score in the 90th and AC potted a fluke, AC would have been through and the better team would be out. I like Regs idea, or no mini game, straight to peno's. Could you imagine away goals in the NHL playoffs, ridiculous.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
I vote abolish it.

A win is a win.

How about if both teams have won after 2 games, a mini-game of 45 minutes is played immediately with the rule of unlimited "subs" to start the mini game?

If the mini game finishes in a stalemate, straight to penos.

Mini-game would be good for the fans but it would not be good for the players - they simply play too many games during the year and the clubs and national teams already struggle with the schedules. To play even more (with those mini-games) I am not sure that would sit well with any club or a player. If I remember the "goal away" rule was brought with the intention to minimize playing always 2 x 15 minutes after the teams are tied after two games.

At the same time I have to say that I never liked "goal away" rule although I understand the purpose. Can you imagine winning 4:3 at home and then losing 2:3 away and you are out!? If it was up to me I'd abandon a "goal away" rule and introduce again a "golden goal" rule any time two teams split/tie two games (so, no "goal away" rule). But, that is very similar to the previous system (before a "goal away" rule) or the mini-game; adds to the playing time which players, clubs, and national teams try to avoid.

So, after all, penalties after two (tied) games may seem the best option (much, much better than a "goal away" rule). My $0.05 re this issues.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The "unlimited subs" part I said should address the 'too many games' argument... these teams already carry 30 players to combat the too many games issue anyways.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the aggregate is a good idea but the away goals can really screw a team. Take Barcelona yesterday absolute dominance, they even had more possession and chances in the first game, but if Alba didn't score in the 90th and AC potted a fluke, AC would have been through and the better team would be out. I like Regs idea, or no mini game, straight to peno's. Could you imagine away goals in the NHL playoffs, ridiculous.

But then on the other take todays game, Bayern deserved to go thru over both legs. I'm still in shock that we even managed to score let alone win 2-0.

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keep the away goal rule. It adds more excitement to the CL, with the two game aggregate in tact the better team needs to score more in both games to go through, fair enough. However when the scores on aggregate are tied and the away goal is in effect, have you guys noticed how some teams start playing really attacking football and open up and pick up the pace.

With the mini game and additional 45 that's more than the current additional 30 n pks ...don't see that ever happening..

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keep the away goal rule. It adds more excitement to the CL, with the two game aggregate in tact the better team needs to score more in both games to go through, fair enough.

Unfortunately, the team that goes through only scores more goals away; both teams score the same number of goals in two games.
What is really the difference to win 4:3 at home, then comes a loss 2:3 away and you are out! One win, one loss, 6 goals for, 6 goal against and out! Or, imagine two ties, 3:3 and 2:2, and the team that scored 3 times away goes through. Never made any sense to me. Penalties should settle situations like this.

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unfortunately, the team that goes through only scores more goals away; both teams score the same number of goals in two games.
What is really the difference to win 4:3 at home, then comes a loss 2:3 away and you are out! One win, one loss, 6 goals for, 6 goal against and out! Or, imagine two ties, 3:3 and 2:2, and the team that scored 3 times away goes through. Never made any sense to me. Penalties should settle situations like this.

I meant that it should be given that the better team score more over the two legs....

But if there was no away rule would it be necessary to play home n away or just have single games and when the fixtures are drawn, the first name out of the hat gets to play at home, leave it to luck...

R-Tee

Mar 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best way to sort a tie is line up at half and see who can hit the uprights first; now that is fcuking exciting

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spoiler alert
Real Madrid 3 - Galatasaray 0
First Goal
iDmI7IMa2QfDp.gif

ibe919DWarjDaV.gif

2nd Goal
i7x1O6NThz0BK.gif

3rd Goal