Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div. 1 2011/12 - Predictions, Results and Banter

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i take it that Shaven completely agrees with my recap of our game
i thought i would have heard something by now...

Jaguars next game is vs. White Rock United

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
i take it that Shaven completely agrees with my recap of our game
i thought i would have heard something by now...

Westside FC 2 - 2 Van. Jaguars

Been a busy week striker, wasn't able to really sit down and post my thoughts after our match... until now.

I'm not going to say too much about the match; thought it was a good match between two teams, for starters. I'd say that on the balance of play we were the better side, and should have walked off the pitch with a 2-1 win if not for shoddy defending on our part inside the last 5 minutes. That's no slight on the Jaguars, we simply did enough to win less that momentary breakdown. We should have potted a third, didn't, and it cost us two points in the end. striker, you did make a couple of great saves and full props to you for that. As you rightly mentioned, our keeper gifted the Jaguars' first goal even though we were on the front foot at that point. Looking forward to the return match.

~ Shaven

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside FC 2 - 1 Richmond FC Stingrays

Hard-fought match this morning out at Minoru turf (at an unreal hour of 9am, seriously other than Wickham who plays that early??). Richmond scored halfway through the first half on a shot from the top of the 18, that deflected off our CB's toe and caught our keeper moving the other way. They happen, but we had our work cut out. Richmond is not an easy team to play against, as if you're napping at the back a bit they do counter quickly up through their two strikers with good pace. That said, they don't have great finish so as long as we stayed behind the ball we were settled and didn't give up too much in the way of true scoring chances beyond their lone marker. After half, we came out and were on the front foot nearly the entire half and had enough quality chances that it could have easily been 4-1 at the end with better finish. That said, we got our two mid-late half from better possession and determination.

Stingrays are not an easy team to play against, much like Delta United are physical and a bit older on the whole so you're in for a match no matter what the scoreline from kickoff to final whistle. Our pace wore them down in the second half though, creating much room to pass and move that wasn't there as much in the first. They're a decent side, though I can see why they've given up as many GA as they have now (15 in 6 matches now).

Good win for us, worked hard and earned it. Prep for next week begins...

~ Shaven

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jaguars with a big victory over WRU. Final was 3-2 but have to admit Shaven comments made for inspirational motivation for the Jags today!! Shaven can't wait for you to rev up the Jags again!

I'd say that on the balance of play we were the better side, and should have walked off the pitch with a 2-1 win

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
...but have to admit Shaven comments made for inspirational motivation for the Jags today!!

What I learned from reading the above excerpt from Conductor's post: The truth is an inspirational motivator, apparently.

Who knew?

~ Shaven

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver Jaguars 3 White Rock United 2

the score should have been 3 nil but i allowed 2 cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeser goals
i was an absolute disappointment to myself and my team, although they all thought i played well...LIARS!!!

we scored 2 goals in the first 30 minutes on nice finishes by our forward
their 1st goal was a ball that came rolling at me with some pace behind it...i took my eye off the ball and it went between my legs, at the top of the 18. their forward, who was offside, ran onto it and poked it in. the referee should have whistled the play down before the ball even hit me, but whatever. what's done is done.

their 2nd goal came in the 2nd half, about 20 minutes in, when i came charging out to a 50/50 ball, went to clear it and it went off the outside of my boot and right into the path of their forward, and again, all she had to do was hit the net...and she did.

our 3rd goal was the result of some nice passing and a nice cross that got by their keeper and our forward smacked it home
THANK GOD!!

White Rock United were extremely lucky that i fcuked up on their 2 goals
other than the 2 goals, they had some shots, but most of them were shankers
we were clearly the better team
in the first half they were yelling and screaming at each other which always makes for good entertainment

next game vs. Delta United
Wednesday, Oct 26th 8pm Jericho

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not going to say too much about the match; thought it was a good match between two teams, for starters. I'd say that on the balance of play we were the better side, and should have walked off the pitch with a 2-1 win if not for shoddy defending on our part inside the last 5 minutes. That's no slight on the Jaguars, we simply did enough to win less that momentary breakdown. We should have potted a third, didn't, and it cost us two points in the end. striker, you did make a couple of great saves and full props to you for that. As you rightly mentioned, our keeper gifted the Jaguars' first goal even though we were on the front foot at that point. Looking forward to the return match.

~ Shaven

btw...both of the Rover goals were from "shoddy" defending on our part as well
your 2nd goal was scored by an ex SFU'er if i am not mistaken...i would think she would be able to score :rolleyes:
majority of the play was in your end Shaven, so how do you figure you should have walked away with a win? we just didn't test your keeper enough, and when we did, she made a couple of blunders which helped us out. if we would have had a few more shots on her, i am positive that the 3 points would have been ours.

this will make for an interesting rematch!! ;)

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
striker, I'm not going to get into a p$$sing match with you over our match, as there's so much we could both go on about. The facts are simply what was, and what was is that we had the match won and let it get away from us. Yes, you could have tested our keeper more however we don't give up too many chances to hit the target so... that didn't happen. Yes, we were guilty of shoddy defending at the end and didn't protect all three points. Yes, we also nearly scored from 30 yards out (at least) off a free kick that beat you cleanly but for a few inches didn't the bar. Yes, the referee made IMO a very poor call (non-call, actually) that directly led to your second goal however though I didn't see the alleged offside that was called shortly thereafter my players that did see the entire sequence acknowledged she was onside. In my mind, that's a wash and that's just the game and how it plays out.

How do I figure we should have walked away with the win? Because we had the lead with less than 5 min. to go, and then the match took an unfavourable turn for us and we didn't react well enough to it as a team to preserve that lead. Pretty simple, can argue all we like about what did or didn't happen prior to that but that is simply the fact. I'd say its pretty hard to argue that, yes? I'm certain you'll try, though ;)

Rematches are always interesting, will give thought to it when it happens.

Best of luck this coming weekend.

~ Shaven

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What happened here? This is a somewhat surprising result, striker could you expand even just a little?

~ Shaven

as i have said before, i am shocked that DU are 2nd to last
they are a good team and they battle hard
it was an amazing game to watch from between the sticks

the referee robbed us of a goal when we had a corner kick
the goalie came out...got taken out by her own defender, and the referee claimed it was our girl who did it
we were all in shock as none of our girls were near the goalie, except for our girl who ran in and popped it in when their goalie dropped it. it was a clear goal and it is a shame

i f'd up the first goal by DU by clearing a ball right to their forward who popped it up and over my head and in the net

their 2nd goal was a nice shot from just inside the 18 yard box that just squeaked by my fingertips into the top corner

DU have a couple of players who should be playing rugby and not soccer
they have this one girl...#3...who always has braids
i am not sure if you gals have played them yet Shaven, but watch for this chick
she is BRUTAL and doesn't give a sh*t if she hurts someone
she is always elbows up and far too aggressive
she was given a yellow card and as the referee was giving it to her, she was just smiling at him
i like aggression and going in hard for the ball, but not to the point where you are hurting someone purposely
she was swinging her arms, pushing, kicking at ankles...just brutal
trust me...you will know exactly who i am talking about when you play them

big game sunday
we play Vancouver Mavericks who are sitting 2nd place

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am familiar with #3 on DU, she was much the same way when we played them a couple of weeks past (we beat them 3-0). She's played that way for quite some years now, and I have appreciation for your comment regarding rugby... so very true.

DU do battle hard, right to the end no matter the score. I believe what's happened to them is that as a team age has caught up to them and they've waited a couple seasons too long to start the re-build by injecting youth into the lineup to offset this and allow the team to keep up with the pace of Div. 1. They remind me of the Red Socks in that way, I noticed last season that the Red Socks have started that process as they too were beginning to age and lose the pace a bit.

Sunday is a huge match v Mavericks for you, actually both sides. I'm quite interested in the result, as you'd imagine :)

~ Shaven

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
DU have a couple of players who should be playing rugby and not soccer
they have this one girl...#3...who always has braids
i am not sure if you gals have played them yet Shaven, but watch for this chick
she is BRUTAL and doesn't give a sh*t if she hurts someone
she is always elbows up and far too aggressive
she was given a yellow card and as the referee was giving it to her, she was just smiling at him
i like aggression and going in hard for the ball, but not to the point where you are hurting someone purposely
she was swinging her arms, pushing, kicking at ankles...just brutal
trust me...you will know exactly who i am talking about when you play them

big game sunday
we play Vancouver Mavericks who are sitting 2nd place

Seems like there was a lot more going on during the game than just elbows being thrown........:eek:

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside FC Shamrock Rovers 2 - 1 White Rock United 'B'

A win we really had to work for today, up 2-0 with 10 min to go until time and WRU then score from 40 yards out that caught our keeper off her line and she misjudged it badly. Poor goal to give up, and were then on the back foot until the final whistle after being on the front foot for the first 80 minutes. Solid effort by WRU with only 11 players, they were worn down by half but kept playing hard and much respect for that. Our inability to get a third in the first half made this match appear much closer than it in fact was, but that's how it goes and we'll take the hard-fought win and move on to next week.

Had a chat with WR's coaches, who I know well, and asked about their run of now 6 consecutive losses; injuries and commitment are at the core of it and after today's match they're not far off turning it around as they do have some very good players. They could be tough come Cup if they manage to shore up their roster.

~ Shaven

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver Jaguars 5 Vancouver Mavericks 0

What a game for the Jaguars! We played so well considering half of us were suffering from Hallowe'en hangovers

I think we caught the Mavericks on an off day as they didn't have a few of their regulars and it showed
Not to take anything away from us because i think this was our best game of the season so far, and not because we won 5 nil, but because our passing game and our chatter was top notch.
The Mavericks goalie, who is usually one of their best players, was not on her game. She fumbled the ball more than i have ever seen her do before and we capitalized every time she did.

We opened the scoring 10 minutes in, and then scored 2 more within 15 minutes
At half time it was 3 nil, but we knew that we couldn't take our foot off the gas at all because we have been burned before many times.

As I mentioned, their goalie wasn't on top of her game and she came out for a ball...tumbled over it and our girl took advantage with a wide open net. Our 5th was a great finish from some nice passing around their 18 yard box and they just didn't have an answer for us.

This win felt FANTASTIC after Wednesdays clash with Delta United.

Next game is vs. SFC Piranhas @ Newton Athletic

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside FC Shamrock Rovers 2 - 1 White Rock United 'B'

Had a chat with WR's coaches, who I know well, and asked about their run of now 6 consecutive losses; injuries and commitment are at the core of it and after today's match they're not far off turning it around as they do have some very good players. They could be tough come Cup if they manage to shore up their roster.

~ Shaven

congrats on the win Shaven

i agree with you on WRU. they really do have a lot of potential in their squad, but they seem to be lacking the finish. that was our issue the past couple of seasons as well. we had a decent squad, but just couldn't get the goals.
they are a hard working team and play until the end. hopefully they can work out the kinks and get their team going.

that is the same with the Stingrays and Delta United. both of these teams aren't usually struggling like they are for wins.

the new year is a whole new ball game once playoffs are approaching.

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver Jaguars 5 Vancouver Mavericks 0

What a game for the Jaguars! We played so well considering half of us were suffering from Hallowe'en hangovers

I think we caught the Mavericks on an off day as they didn't have a few of their regulars and it showed

Nice win striker, filled the net at one end and kept a clean sheet. From our perspective, perhaps wish you didn't spank them so badly as they'll surely come out with fire to avenge that against us this coming Sunday ;)

I'll reserve opinion on the Mavericks until after we play them for the second time this weekend coming, see if what I believe to be comes to pass a second time.

Enjoy playing at NAP, the pitch SFC play on is a beauty and a true pleasure. It has the dreaded turf inserts in the goal mouths, but otherwise is a beautiful swath of grass.

~ Shaven

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts