Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 Div 2 Cup 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ref44

Aug 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan 2 Meraloma 1. Lomas didn’t play their best but congrats to Norvan. Tom back at it again today. 60 something year old man drinking( I think it was Labatt Wildcat) in the park on Saturday night abusing the referee and the opposing team. Wouldn’t be surprised if he drove home too. Congrats Tom. You are pillar of the
So it's on to the First Round Proper and 32 teams remain. Of the 23 Division 2 sides in the competition we lost five in the first round to varying measures of upsets and a further three to attrition in all Div. 2 match-ups. That leaves 15 sides left to contend with a further 17 hopefuls from division three. However, the real story is how the teams are spread out with 10 of the 15 division two sides in the top half and eight Div. 2 sides will face each other in this round. Furthermore, eight Division 3 have also been drawn together, which means at least 4 Div. 2 teams are going to be finished after this weekend while we are guaranteed a minimum of four Div. 3 side in the last 16. Surely every remaining team has charted their course to the final, let see how it all plays out!

Completely Baseless Predictions: Div. 2 Cup
Preliminary Round: 15/20
Overall: 15/20

First Round Proper:

Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi
v Harps FC
The Latin Wolves have all but cemented their second consecutive promotion as they sit atop the 2A standings with breathing room after their nearest rivals, 13th Legion, slipped up this past weekend. Now they will turn their sites to what they will hope is their final attempt at the Div. 2 Cup as they begin play after having being seeded directly into this round. While not infallible, Metro Ford have the same number of wins and goals scored as the top teams in 2B, having played two fewer games and have also conceded the joint second fewest goals across both groups. They look to be the class of the Division and will of course expect to see themselves in the final, especially having home field through until the semis when the games shift to neutral grounds. Harps run hot and cold, but have certainly been more cold than hot this season. They are lower mid-table in 2B and, while capable of a performance on any day as they have proven by posting three draws in four meetings with the top two teams in their group, they were not exactly convincing in their opener against lower mid-table Div. 3 PCOV , eeking out a 2-1 win to advance. This is the kind of fixture that a team with Lupi's pedigree expects to win.

FC Serbia v Astro FC
A toss up in this one as it is a domestic clash between a pair of sides from 2A. These two sit next to each other in the table and, barring a spectacular cup run, their respective seasons will wrap up on the outside of the Provincial Cup spots. In fact, after qualifying for that competition last season and making some noise, FC Serbia are not yet fully safe from being dragged into a relegation playoff. The Europeans proved they can still turn on the flair as they cruised past Division 3 bottom feeders Regent College in their opener. However, they followed that up by losing a massive relegation six-pointer to HK Hrvat at the weekend. Astro, for their part, won their relegation showdown with VUFC Rangers and look to have just about made themselves safe. They drew a random bye in the first round will hope to carry that momentum from a cup-like league victory into their opener here. The tale of the tape show these two are rather evenly matched, having drawn in their two league meetings during the campaign, so perhaps this one might be decided from the spot. This match could go either way, but I'll tip the Serbians based on their recent cup performances.

Royal City A
v Bowen Island FC
The Boners are always a sentimental favourite with their upbeat, community football culture and commitment to traveling to away days. They might just fancy an upset in this one as well given that Royal City will be returning to Division 3 after an abysmal debut in Division 2 following a wonderful promotion campaign. The New West lads had a chance to start with a blank slate in their cup opener and proved that they are in fact still capable of knocking off a Division 3 side when they slipped past Bombastic B 2-0 to taste victory for just the second time this season. Bowen have had a solid season by there standards and are guaranteed a top four finish at worst as they continue to build their program. They comfortably saw off domestic rivals Vancity Snipers in the last round for a third time this season and followed that up with a very impressive 3-0 trouncing of one time promotion contenders, Lobbans, last time out. The Island lads will have every reason to fancy themselves in this one if they can keep that form up, but I do worry about availability for a 6pm kick-off on a Saturday in New West. Royal City will be keen to continue to prove that they are better than anything Division 3 has to offer and with another Div. 3 team guaranteed to be waiting in the next round, a chance at a quarter final appearance might offer a silver lining for an otherwise forgettable season. I think a motivated New West side finds an extra gear to get this one done.

South Delta v Westside Black Aces
This should be a spicy one. It's a domestic battle from 3A and these two teams will both fancy their chances at progressing to the next round. South Delta have made little secret of their opinions regarding the current league leaders and promotion hopefuls from Vancouver. The Tsawwassen boys do not believe that Westside are the best team in the division and will no doubt be looking forward to backing up that opinion with a cup winning performance at home. Indeed, one of Westside's few blemishes this season was a 2-2 draw out at Winskill back in September in the early days of the campaign. The league leaders atoned for their slip up in the reverse fixture, thumping SD 6-1 at home in their biggest win of the season. South Delta assert that they had personnel issues for that one, given that it was the final game before the Winter Break, but let's hope that they have a full side available for this one. It should be an old fashioned battle out in the suburbs in this one, but I'll take the Vancouverites as first place has got to count for something, even if it does not impress their hosts in the slightest!

Metropolitan A v Rino's Bulldogs
After all the opening round upsets this match has the two highest ranked teams of any clash in this round and it is a crossover fixture as well; clearly then it ticks all the boxes to be MOTR. Rino's won a close one against Punjab Tigers, 2-1, in another crossover last round. The Bulldogs started off the season slowly but have turned it on since the calendar rolled over. They have lost only once in their six matches since returning from the break and their win over Meraloma last weekend mathematically assured that they will not be relegated. They can relax and focus on the cup now and perhaps that will give them an advantage here because Metropolitan are still very much crunching the numbers on their league campaign. Following relegation last season, Students are now hanging by a thread in their hopes for an immediate return to Division 1. Greencaps need only one more win to doom Metro to another season at this level and we will have to see if that has any effect on the UHill based team's attitude towards the cup. Will they be able to shake it off and take a run at a competition that they will be favoured to go deep in? Or will the disappointment be too much to overcome for a team used to competing in the Imperial Cup and prove a distraction as they look to refocus before the Provincial B Cup? They still look to be a top team, so they will be favourites here, but certainly Rino's in their current form would not be shock winners by any stretch.

HK Hrvat v Vancouver Strikers
Hrvat won their customary, minimum one round in the cup when they defeated Twin Arrows two weeks ago. They will be hoping not to encounter Twin Arrows again in roughly a months time as that would mean that they are playing in a relegation playoff. Hrvat did themselves a massive favour winning a huge game over FC Serbia last week which lifted them out of the relegation zone for the first time in months. The league is surely their focus and with a game to come against bottom side, and already relegated, Royal City Hrvat will be confident of securing the points that they need to stay in the league without the need for an additional match. Strikers have concluded their league campaign and are looking good for a spot in the BCs. Their third place will likely hold up unless Bombastic catch them and that will likely be enough to get them to the post-season dance. Strikers have had little trouble casting aside Hrvat this year, winning their two meetings by an aggregate score of 10-1. While Hrvat no maybe better than most about cup magic, I think their focus ultimately lies elsewhere and I expect this match to follow a similar story line to the league encounters.

Greencaps B v Westside Juniors
Greencaps embarrassed Div. 2B bottom side Bosna 6-0 and will now face the other newly promoted side in 2B, Westside Juniors. Westside are fairing much better than their promotion cousins however, sitting mid-table and are all but mathematically guaranteed another season at this level. Greencaps B will be joining them in Division 2 next season, having already clinched promotion, and the soon-to-be Div. 2 group will be eager to prove that they belong in this one. Westside saw off Greencaps groupmates Richmond in their opener by a rather comfortable 3-0 margin in the last round, so Greencaps should expect a stiffer test here. Top Division 3 sides are never short of confidence in this competition, especially given that they are used to that winning feeling, so any lack of preparation by Westside will leave the door open and Greencaps are liable to kick it right down. I'll take the Div. 2 side as there is no real reason to bet against them, but this game will likely come down to who can assert their dominance early, because the team chasing this game will likely leave themselves exposed at the back and that is a dangerous games to play.

Lobbans v Ex Patriots
Lobbans had one of the big upsets in the opening round, defeating a resurgent Division 2 Sarajevo side 1-0. Lobbans are very well coached and organized, so grinding out cup results will suit them just fine. While they may have fallen out of the promotion race to return to Division 2, Lobbans don't back down from anyone. Ex Patriots are in, I believe, their second or third season in the VMSL and they have hardly been a revelation. They sit lower mid-table in 3B and have amassed the majority of their points from teams around or below them in the table. They were drawn a random bye into this round and I think they will be in tough travelling to Surrey for a late Saturday kick off.

Greencaps A v NorVan Vikings
NorVan pulled off the upset of Division 2 Meraloma in the Preliminary Round in what was a heated affair with some hard feelings afterwords. Their reward is to face the top team in 2B as the defending Provincial B Cup Champion Greencaps are just two points from confirming their promotion to Division 1. Add to that the fact that this cup draw has opened right up for the Irishmen with lower mid-table Euro FC the only remaining Division 2 side in their quarter. It is Greencap's to lose seemingly and, given their performances to this point in the season, they are certainly the favourites. This would be the ultimate upset for the North Shore boys; can't see it happening.

Campo Atletico B v Metropolitan B
A toss up here between a pair of less than impressive lower mid-table sides in 3B. Neither team played in the first round with Metro drawing a bye and VAFC forfeiting to Campo. These two drew their first meeting and then had the lights snap off with Students leading 1-0 in their second match. The winner will likely be cannon fodder for Greencaps in the next round, so toss a coin here and get on with it. Metropolitan are ahead in the table and ahead in their half game played, so I'll give them the edge here, why not?

Marpole Tropics v West Coast Saints
Marpole did the business in a close one against their domestic rivals from 3C, North Delta, in their opener and would likely have expected to see Division 2 powerhouse Gastown in this round. Instead, West Coast Saints pulled off arguably the upset of the Preliminary Round knocking off the boys from downtown and that just adds another feather to their cap as they followed up that win by securing the 3B title and promotion to Division 2 last weekend. With this section of the draw light on top end Division 2 sides thank to West Coast's upset along with NorVan's the Saints will now fancy a fairly good cup run. True, Greencaps A are likely to be waiting in the quarters, but, having already pulled off one upset, West Coast surely would not back down from being the underdogs once more. They'll be favourites in this one though and I expect to see them progress.

Euro FC v Burnaby Selects White Eagles B
Burnaby were handed a bye through the first round while Euro had a soft toss one against the loser of last year's relegation playoff from Division 2, Unicorns. Euro are hoping to avoid being involved in this season's relegation playoff, but are far from breathing easy sitting only five points up on the bottom two with teams below them holding games in hand. They still have a massive six-pointer to play against the team currently occupying the relegation playoff place, Twin Arrows. Burnaby are likely to be a step up from Unicorns as, if not for an unfortunate opening day roster blunder, leading to them fielding an ineligible player, the former Serbians would be in the thick of the promotion hunt in 3C. Instead, the team they donated those points to way back in September, Greencaps B, have clinched the league title and White Eagles fell out of the race for the bonus promotion spot when West Coast Celts won last weekend. Burnaby are a formidable team in a 3C group that has produced excellent competition at the top. Also, similar to their big brother in Division 1, White Eagles have an explosive offense and are often merciless when they come up against inferior opposition. They lead all of Division 3 with 69 goals and went on a four game stretch against teams in the bottom half that saw them score 33 unanswered goals. If they get into their rhythm Euro could be in trouble. This one is my Upset Special; Burnaby to advance!

13th Legion v Strathcona Utd.
A tricky one here for the Legion as they match up against a similar, physical, direct, North American style team in Strathcona. The East Van boys are still in the thick of a promotion race and, while they will need Westside to slip up in their final match to have any hope of automatic promotion, they are still very much in the mix for the bonus promotion spot. The Legion are also contending for promotion as they look to make the jump up to Division 1, but after a draw against Strikers this past weekend, they look set to be bridesmaids for a second consecutive season. This one should be a muckers delight but I expect the Legioners to grind out a win.

Shaheen
v West Coast Celts
Shaheen had to turn up only to find out Div. 3 bottom feeders HiVE FC were not bothering to turn up. I would expect West Coast Celts to make the trek to North Vancouver though as they will look to emulate their cousins the Saints in pulling off a big upset over a team from 2B. Unlike Saints, Celts have missed out on automatic promotion to Division 2, but they are still in the hunt for the bonus promotion spot. Shaheen pushed hard for much of the season to return to Division 1, but were ultimately squeezed out in a highly competitive 2B and will spend at least a third season at this level. Certainly favourites in this one against Celts, though surely Gastown felt the same way about their match with Saints, so Shaheen would be well advised to bring their A-Game, even if it is against lower league opposition.

Bombastic FC v GFC Lions
Two feel good stories from the VMSL this season. GFC did not win a single game in their debut campaign last year, but spent much of this season leading the way in 3B. In the end they were nudged out for promotion by West Coast Saints, but they certainly have to be looked at as arguably the most improved team across any division. They got rewarded with a decent draw in their opener against last placed Royal City Rangers from 3A and added a cup win to their impressive season. Bombastic have also had a fantastic year by their standards. Much more used to relegation battles, they hold their fate in their own hands in terms of their chance to qualify for the Provincial Cup. They knocked off fellow Div. 2 side VUFC in the last round and know face lower league opposition in this round and the next, should they advance. Both these teams will be full of confidence, but I'll give the edge to the Division 2 crew.

France FC v FC Ui
France are here only because they managed to catch Snipers playing an ineligible player in their last game. That turned a 3-0 loss into a spot in the last 32 teams and now they will play a fellow Division 3 side. France have continued to improve from when they first came into the league last season and this has led to them finishing in the top half of 3B. FC Ui are debutantes this season and would surely love to emulate the trajectory that France have taken over their two VMSL campaigns. Ui have had a respectable campaign for a stand alone first year team, though most of their success can be attributed to the goals of Sun Min Kim, whose 16 tallies are the most of anyone in any of the Division 3 groups. Not too much to chose between these two, but I think France's experience will show and help them to progress.
The game between the norvan squad and meralomas wasn't a heated game. It wasn't until the keeper got beat over his head as the previous year and then a second time. I was sitting beside one of our fans and he started chirping the keeper. I told him the best is to call him a marshmallow so he did and the keeper went holistic. Unbelievable actually. He then started swearing and screaming out my name which I thought was quite funny as I knew he was losing for sure in this state. He came over off the field challenging me to a fight and I told him then all that he was a marshmallow. His players were trying to pull him onto the field. The ref came over and yellow carded him. At no time was I drinking as we had just finished playing and was gathering things together. And especially at no time was anything said towards the refereee. It seems this keeper has been having nightmares about the two free kicks he let in against us last season to lose the game. Too bad. I'm sure he is a nice young fellow. I certainly know mick is a good guy. Good luck to our bouts against the green caps

username

Jan 26, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the keeper went “ballistic” was what your looking for. “Holistic” wouldn’t be the right word there Not surprising from a man without a grade 10 education. Also, it must have taken you a long time to gather your things. About 90 minutes. Enough time nail all those Wildcats.

username

Jan 26, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the keeper went “ballistic” was what you’re looking for. “Holistic” wouldn’t be the right word there Not surprising from a man without a grade 10 education. Also, it must have taken you a long time to gather your things. About 90 minutes. Enough time nail all those Wildcats.

Gally

Aug 31, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the keeper went “ballistic” was what your looking for. “Holistic” wouldn’t be the right word there Not surprising from a man without a grade 10 education. Also, it must have taken you a long time to gather your things. About 90 minutes. Enough time nail all those Wildcats.
Not sure who that lad was, but what a loser. To hang around drinking cans in the rain, shouting abuse at lads playing at this level is sad. 90 mins to gather his things tho...

ref44

Aug 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Save ur cat piss as u sound like u need them. Lol. Still having nightmares about tbem two u gave up in the last couple of mins. I'm glad u have remembered my. Are as u were screaming it as the guy I was with was the yelling at u. Lol. As for those beers I saved them till after our div 3 did the same to u. Now why did u get that yellow again?? ;) have a good evening and say hi to mick for me.

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
SDFC 1 - Westside 2 (PK)

We scored late in the 1st half off a corner. Westside tied it early in the 2nd half off a PK. We were gassed, same story as the game late in December, and missing our star striker but otherwise no excuses. Westside pushed hard in the 2nd but didn't manage much, except a late shot on goal our keep was able to parry over the crossbar. Our keeper went out in the final 4 minutes of play with a leg injury. PKs weren't as favourable to us this week as they were last week. Went goal for goal, until our 4th shooter hit the crossbar and their 5th shooter scored to finish it. Best of luck to the rest of the teams going through

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well looks like the snow has f*cked the cup schedule for Div 2. With an extra round, Cup play is scheduled to continue this week. That means that the half dozen games snowed out will need to be made up midweek in order to keep things on time. Of course that is likely all snow dependant given I don't believe there is any rain in the forecast...

Otherwise it could mean playing the remaining second round fixtures and whatever third round fixtures they can next weekend which would really mess with my ability to make predictions...:(

Gally

Aug 31, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Save ur cat piss as u sound like u need them. Lol. Still having nightmares about tbem two u gave up in the last couple of mins. I'm glad u have remembered my. Are as u were screaming it as the guy I was with was the yelling at u. Lol. As for those beers I saved them till after our div 3 did the same to u. Now why did u get that yellow again?? ;) have a good evening and say hi to mick for me.

Gally

Aug 31, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your are a tool.. And clearly simple in the way you conduct yourself.. You ever play this game? Or you one of these over weight dads that think they know the game?

Last edited:

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well the snow really messed things up in this one but we should see things back on track by next weekend for the Quarter Finals. Who will be involved, you ask? Well at least three Division 3 teams as the upsets have kept coming, however, it looks like that might just make the road to the final that much more staright forward for the favourites. Let's find out...

First Round Proper: 10/14
Overall: 25/34

Round of 16:

v FC Serbia
CMF had little issue dispatching mid-table Harps 3-0 when they finally got around to their cup opener. It is a simalar test in their next match for them, but this time it is a domestic match up with Serbia. The Serbians are having a below par season and are now in a little bit of relegation trouble. VUFC will have to make up the ground but they have the games in hand to do it. Serbia have been better in the cup, knockout football seems to suit them per their Provincial Cup run last season and they will be getting Metro Ford on short rest, so there is perhaps a slight edge for the visitors to try and capitalize on. The league meetings have also been close with Coquitlam emerging narrow 1-0 winners both times. The winner gets Div. 3 opposition in the next round so certainly a decent carrot to motivate the two sides. I expect Lupi to be relatively comfortable.

Bowen Island v Westside
Another domestic match up, but this time from Div. 3A. Westside are leading the league and have turned over the Boners on both occasions this season, so they will be confident of another success. Bowen should be full of Bim and vigor as well though after knocking off former Division 3 champions Royal City in the last round. Westsides other teams have crashed out of the cups despite being favoured in their match-up and with a Saturday night trip to the North Shore on the agenda I like Bowen's odds here. Make it my Upset Special for this round, the Island boys to advance.

Metropolitan/Rino's v Strikers
TBD. Likely to me one of the matches of the round.

Greencaps B v Lobbans
Newly crowned Div. 3C champions Greencaps got their first taste of Div. 2 football in the last round and it was a test that they passed with flying colours, knocking off Westside 2-1. Their reward is a game against another Div. 3 side in Lobbans who have missed out on a return to Div. 2 in 3A. The Surrey boys are always well coached and organized and they themselves have also seen off Div. 2 opposition in this completion when they got by Sarajevo back in the preliminary round. This one looks well matched and is a bit of a toss up, but I'll give the nod to the team going up to Division 2 and say the Irish lads extend their run in the cup.

Greencaps A v Campo
Greencaps are jurlggernaughts and favourites to win this whole competition. They remain on the precipis of promotion as champions of Div. 2B. Campo are a lower mid-table Div. 3 side. Not much to analyze here, Greencaps to be comfortable.

Marpole/West Coast Saints v Burnaby Selects White Eagles
TBD. Another Div. 3 side guaranteed a spot in the quarters via this one.

13th Legion v Shaheen
MOTR here and a pair of top Division 2 sides clash. Both these teams have missed out on promotion and will be in the league again next season. We will have to wait for the final placings, but they could very well be competing against each other directly for a chance to go up next season. Still a decent chance at silverware via this competition and Provincials as both should have a chance in that competition as well. In this match up it will be a clash of styles as well with the Legion's traditional, tough, direct "North American" approach against Shaheens traditionally possession and skill based game. Who's style can give them the edge? Tough to say, this one is anyone's game. Easy to foresee a path to victory for both teams here, so I'll flip a coin and say the Legion grind out a win.

Bombastic v FC Ui
In a season where seemingly everything is going Bombastics way their cup draw has been no different. Another Div. 3 side on the docket in VMSL new boys FC Ui. It has been a difficult season for the debutantes, but they have managed to get their feet under them and have some success against the teams lower than them in the table. Their 3-2 cup win over France in the last round is likely the highlight and certainly a good foundation to build from should the decide to return next season. This one though is likely a bridge to far and, even if they got close, it seems likely that the soccer gods would intervene because that's just the way it has been going for Bombastic this season.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Round of 16:

Metropolitan/Rino's v Strikers
TBD. Likely to me one of the matches of the round.

Marpole/West Coast Saints v Burnaby Selects White Eagles
TBD. Another Div. 3 side guaranteed a spot in the quarters via this one.

Metropolitan v Strikers
This one looks to be one of the matches of the tournament, so it's a bit of a shame that it is getting buried on a Wednesday night. Neither team has played much football of late, but Metro did not miss a step at all when they got back at it on Sunday in their 2-0 Round of 16 win over Rino's. Strikers got their previous cup match in before the snow fell and, with no league games left to play, have been sitting around for two and a half weeks. Metro are second in 2B, clinging to the faint hope of an immediate return to Div. 1; they would need to win both their remaining games and have Greencaps lose their last two in order to achieve that so the odds are not in their favour. Strikers are done for the year, save for this competition, and will finish in either third or fourth, if Bomabastic were to catch them. Their points per game looks to be enough to have booked them a spot in the Provincial B Cup however and, you would have to think that they would rather continue playing meaningful football as opposed to sitting idle for a month while they wait for that competition to begin. It should be a fairly even game and Strikers have shown that they can beat anyone, having handed Coquitlam Metro Ford their only loss on the season. I am worried about how they will respond to their recent inactivity as I think Students will be the sharper of the two teams and that just might make the difference.

Marpole v Burnaby Selects White Eagles
The Division 3 march goes on as another team will join Bowen Island in the last eight. This one is a domestic Div. 3C battle as fourth meets fifth, so likely an even encounter with both teams fancying their chances. Both league meeting were drawn 2-2 and there is no reason to think that this one won't follow a similar storyline. Burnaby claimed a Division 2 scalp in the last round knocking off relegation threatened Euro FC 2-0 while Marpole finally got their fixture in against Div. 3B title and promotion winners West Coast Saints and sailed past them to the tune of 4-0. Both teams have proven their ability to punch above their weight class and though a date with Greencaps A awaits for the winner, so the matter of who emerges from this one may be entirely academic. That being said, I am sure whichever side advances will be confident of getting the one bounce or lucky break that they require in order to earn the most improbable of semi final berths. As for this fixture itself, you can pretty much flip a coin. Both teams played Sunday and Burnaby lost a meaningless game 1-0 to a Richmond team still hoping to earn the bonus promotion spot that is up for grabs. Were they focusing on the midweek cup game? Burnaby have the best goal difference in all of Division 3, so I will follow the stats and say the edge this one.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had a perfect round going until the final two midweek games that I struck out on! Down to the last eight in the Division 2 Cup and the Cinderella stories look to be rapidly charging towards midnight as all three remaining Division 3 teams will face Division 2 heavyweights. Can an of them keep the improbable dream alive?

Round of 16: 6/8
Overall: 32/44

Quarter Finals:

v Bowen Island
Perhaps the most enjoyable of the feel good stories, Bowen Island have gone on quite the cup run and knocked of a Division 2 side as well as broke the curse against a Westside team with a chance to win promotion who, after been beaten twice by them during league pay, the Boners saw off 2-0 in the last round. Metro Ford negotiated their way past a tricky Serbia side 1-0 for the third time this season and that ability to get results makes them look even more like favourites for this title. The Tri-Cities boys are looking to make the most of what is looking like being a short stay in Division 2, they are one win away from securing promotion to Division 1, by etching their name on some silverware on their way through. With only one loss on the season, it seems very unlikely that a Division 3 side will bounce them out of this competition.

Vancouver Strikers v Greencaps B
Strikers did not in fact miss a step at all, despite a long lay off, as they waxed Metropolitan 3-0 on Wednesday. They will have to wait until mid-week again to try and move on to the semis. While Strikers are definitely favourites here, given that they are a top half Division 2 side, if any of the Division 3 sides have a chance to pull of the stunner it is likely Greencaps. I'll make this one my Upset Special and say that one Division 3 side makes it to the semis and has a shot at the Provincial Cup.

Greencaps A v Marpole Tropics
Fairplay to Marpole for making it to the Quarter Finals, though the draw has been particularly kind to them. They have yet to face a team from Division 2 and the mid-table Div. 3 boys are about to get rather rude awakening you have to think. Greencaps A have been the class of Div. 2B and might well earn promotion this weekend if Metropolitan fail to come away with all three points in their league game while Greencaps are occupied in the cup. If Students persist, when the Irish lads do return to league play they will need just one more win to clinch their promotion, but they will have their eyes firmly on the silverware up for grabs at the minute. Certainly a favourite for the Div. 2 Cup this season and you have to think things will be relatively straight forward for them against lower league opposition.

13th Legion v Bombastic
As the only all Division 2 match up, this one is the MOTR. This one is a domestic tilt from 2A between perennial bridesmaids, 13th Legion, who look set to narrowly miss out on promotion for the second consecutive season, and upstarts Bombastic. Bombastic have a had quite possibly their best season ever as they look set for a top four finish and potential Provincial Cup spot. This is uncharted territory for a team that spent last season mucking it out trying to avoid the drop. The league meetings between these teams finished 2-2 and 3-1 in favour of the Legion who sit second in the table and should be favourite here. Bombastic though have had nearly everything go their way this season however, their one struggle has been, perhaps rightly, the teams above them in the table. Four of their five losses have come against the top three with the other being at the hands of Meraloma who sit just a point behind them in fifth. Everything points in 13th's direction, but Bombastic will surely be bullish. I think the Legion will advance, though hopefully it will be a top quality encounter!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like I forgot to hit post on that one Friday night. Unfortunately my pick for Match of the Round hardly came off as the Excellent Site has 13th with a 5-0 thumping of Bombastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts