Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dude & Mini Dude's 2015 Ride-2-Survive

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
10995357_10153017444044412_1650119965766157410_n.jpg This is a cut & paste from my FB post of this morning.

On June 20th, we ride.

This weekend Michael & I spent time getting ready for the 2015 Ride-2-Survive. He spent his time racing his road bike at the Provincial Youth Championships in Penticton, and I spent my Saturday participating in the R2S “Triple Crown” training ride- 142 KM, featuring climbs up SFU, the hills of North Van, Cypress Mountain, and back to Marine drive in Burnaby. In all, over 12,000’ of climbing on the day. Long day, fun day, and for many, a very tough day.... I have the benefit of having done this day several times, but many in R2S riders are first timers, and there is a certain amount of pride in watching / helping these riders gut it out. Given the time in the saddle, there is plenty of opportunity to chat and get to know people, and learn about their “why”…why they signed up for this fantastic, if not somewhat masochistically difficult event. Some peoples’ experiences with Cancer, and how it has ripped apart their families, will likely bring a tear to your eye, and definitely a lump to your throat.

We are a 100% efficient fund raising vehicle. Not one penny of your funds donated go to the R2S overhead (us riders cover that, and sponsors in kind donate the food, equipment, etc.), then when the funds hit the Canadian Cancer Society, not one penny hits their overhead, either (all funds go directly into their research funds, bypassing general revenue). If this is a cause that hits close to your heart, please consider donating to our page, here:

http://convio.cancer.ca/…/TR/Otherspecialevents/IFE_BC_odd_…

And below is a cut & paste from my friend Geoff Huenemann's post yesterday...which was way better than mine...and that also tells the story about Steve Parsons, another teammate, who is a 1st year rider, who, as you can see from the photo, is not built like your typical road rider. Steve's Story is one that I never, ever want to experience living, and it is a reason that I ride year after year.

"Sitting is the new cancer?

Tim Cook, Apple CEO, says “a lot of doctors think” as much (and that therefore you should buy his new Watch, with its beeping getOffYerAss App). At least two big problems with this.

1) “X is the new Y”, implies that Y is passé, no longer relevant or potent. Cancer is not gone. Thankfully, research works, and many high-profile cancers of a few years ago have seen dramatically improved outcomes, thanks to better prevention, detection, and treatments. Unfortunately, others such as pancreatic cancer (which killed Steve Jobs) and brain cancer (more on that in a second), have made little headway.

2) Fully accepting that over-sedentary lifestyles are bad for you, it sort of depends what you sit on. I’ll take my chances with the Cervélo. Going one better, I’ll be sitting on that bike all day 4 weeks from now, riding 400km from Kelowna to Vancouver to raise money for cancer research, because… cancer is not gone.

Now, very briefly: brain cancer. The nice guy I’m helping up Burnaby mountain in this photo from yesterday’s 150km training ride lost his 17-year-old son to it a few years back. Brain cancer hits people of all ages, and has relatively terrible survival rates (only about 1 in 7) – so bad that there is currently a federal funds-matching program specifically for brain cancer research.

So go sit on your bike and ride somewhere. You don’t need a Watch to tell you it’s a good idea. And if you can, risk a few more minutes of sedentary screen time and support our ride. As always, 100% of your donation goes to cancer research. But if you want me to designate the money specifically to brain cancer research, then 200% of your donation will go there. How often do you get a deal like that?"

Steve worked his ASS of Saturday, and at times it was a sight to behold. This is what is unique about this event...we actually don't accept everyone. Anyone can sign-up, yes, but they also have to make it through a series of milestone rides to prove they can make the grade on ride day. We have already had to advise some riders that they weren't making sufficient progress in training, and that they would not be allowed to ride. Steve is one of those riders that wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't be a rider...but has made himself into one in order to make a difference in other's lives. I really respect the hell out of that, and don't ever want to experience the pain he has had to.

Last edited:

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was hard to write. I gave Dude and Mini-Dude a small donation this year at least partially because (fcuk cancer) this is relevant to me. Dude's last entry above is extremely relevant.

Three years ago today I lost my dad to cancer. He had 3 malignant tumours in his brain, which were only diagnosed a week beforehand. In hindsight, we thought that there had been warning signs earlier, but he had been too busy looking after my mom in her decline and ignored his own potential symptoms. Mom was a breast cancer survivor and had got ten extra years of life before congestive heart failure (at least partially due to very aggressive chemotherapy) caught up to her. For the last four months of her life, Mom was in and out of hospital, and Dad was with her the whole time. After she died in November 2011 (fcuk cancer), we thought that Dad would be okay given enough time to grieve and get his own strength back. He told Catorce Verde (his oldest grandchild) his ambition was to see him graduate, but he never got to (fcuk cancer) - he died about two weeks before the kids' graduation ceremony.

Dad's first bout with cancer was in his kidneys, about 3 years earlier. I'd taken him to his oncologist and was with him when he was told that he had a tumour on one of them that was the same size as his kidney, so it would have to be removed. After the procedure and expected results were explained to him, his first question was "will I still be able to drink scotch?" That's the kind of guy he was. He was given a clean bill of health after that and we thought he was in the clear (minus a kidney, of course). Apparently the cancer had metastasized to his brain, and developed there (fcuk cancer).

I still wear a daffodil pin long after Daffodil Month has finished because it doesn't go away. I'm not going to berate anyone else into donating, or participating, because this is still an individual's decision. However, on behalf of Roy and Ellen and everyone else like them who has had to suffer from this disease, thank you to Dude and Mini-Dude.

fcuk Cancer,

Trece Verde

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for writing; I can see how that was tough.

There are times when I wonder why I still do this...then someone tells me a story like that. Just like the days at the mall. As I've told others, Cancer has not personally devastated me- yet. I lost a dear aunt, and my father in law, but my immediate familly has been spared so far. The odds aren't with me. I think the odds are now something like 1/3 will experience the disease once in their life. I'd actually like to look that up, but I've heard it through more than one news source. If true, very scary

Thanks Trece...for the donation, but more for the "why".

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Walks, thanks very much for your donation again this year.

Guys, I'm quite honored, we've surpassed our goal. In addition to what is shown on my site, my young nephew Shay kicked in $630.00 worth. All through recyclable collections. That will show up eventually, too.

If you have the time, please do me a favor and PM me the name of the person we are riding in honor for.

Update...we ride Saturday! Over the past two weeks it has been final prep in training. Last weekend I flew to Minneapolis and participated in another charity event that one of my suppliers sponsors, the MS 150, two days, 120 KM each day. Michael participated in a light taper ride.

Two weeks ago we all as a team completed a 205 KM ride through Maple Ridge and the Valley. A very tough day, as it was very hot, and very windy the last 60 KM or so. My kid did very well, but struggled in the end. We sat him down for the last 10 KM or so, but I was a little chuffed at how he pushed through well past being spent. Basically, we wouldn't have known...that is, until I saw him when we stopped for a quick re-fill of water before the final few kms home. I try not to be that overly proud parent that goes on and on. Truth is, my kid is just like most other good kids whom happen to also be teenaged boys. He drives me crazy, as I'm sure your kids do to you, or as we did to our parents. But, he's a great kid, and I wrote in this post on another, erm, on-line social media book with pictures and faces...

"My son and I are very much alike in a lot of ways, including our preference to bottle emotions inside, never talk about them, and to continue to push them down, no matter what.

I was immensely proud of my son yesterday as I rode the final 5 KM in from about Campbell Valley store. You see, on these rides, I have to abandon Michael. He’s on his own, as I attend to other responsibilities as one of the Captains. Michael rode strong all day, but the last 60 or so KMs featured headwinds and heat. It took his toll. At about 195 KMs, he was done. I was chatting w/ Shannon Hedquist as we patrolled the back. Michael, when we rolled into Campbell Valley Park, you were about 25 KM past your expiration KM. You were beyond finished, but you had good company, because a lot of people were beyond finished. You are stubborn, like me, and you put your head down and keep working. It’s hard for me to see. This was the toughest day I’ve ever experienced on an R2S ride in 7 years, mainly because of the heat. It was hot, all day long, and unrelenting. Being out in it for 9-1/2 hours is a lot to ask.

Shannon, as we were chatting, said to me, “Man, I hope our daughter grows up to be like your son.” I hear words like that a lot, and the reality is Shaeesta and I are blessed to have two (likely three, I’m sure Leila will follow in her siblings footsteps this way) kids whom are very empathetic of those less fortunate, or those that need help. Aaliyah is the same way, she’d give everything she had to disadvantaged young kids if we let her. And Michael, you are the same, just in a different way.

To those that don’t know, Michael and a team of 10 R2Sers went to an assembly at Betty Huff Elementary, “Debbie’s Day”. This is an inner city school in Surrey, and Debbie Kovacs was one of their teachers who passed away recently of Cancer. The kids are raising $1,000.00 for R2S and CCS by selling potato chips and freezies to do this. Think about that for a minute, and think about how hard earned and meaningful that $1,000.00 will be to those kids. R2S gets a lot of donations…this one may be one of the sweetest and most powerful.

When Vicki Kunzli asked if he would attend, he didn’t hesitate in saying, “Yes”. Michael, I don’t know how much you’ve thought about the impact of that “Yes” is. Some of these kids are only 3 years younger than you. It’s one thing for them to see a bunch of adults, in Lycra, looking out at them in the assembly. Adults are supposed to do big things, and inspire kids. But, I can 100% guarantee you that there are a few kids in that assembly that walked away saying, “If he can do that, I can do that”. You have inspired kids that were looking for inspiration, and I hope you understand how meaningful and impactfull that can be.

As I told you at KM 195 yesterday, when you were fried, and looking for a place to collapse…15 year olds aren’t supposed to do what you are doing. Heck, 14 years olds aren’t! It’s amazing that you are in your second year, and it took yesterday’s conditions to give you your first hard day. I’m very proud of you…not for being a very good cyclist, but for being inspired to do this, and to commit the time and effort it takes to even be able. I know why you do this…but I don’t think you realize the impact you have on others. I’m very proud of you."

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry Dude, a bit late to the party this year but still got there in the end :)

All the best to you and Michael on Saturday !!

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What you and Michael do is truly inspirational. Was in LA all of last week on business, but I hope all went well this past Saturday. Looking forward to the recap post. Whenever I need a humbling lesson, I come to this thread.

PS. Then I remember you played football in the valley, and I feel much better about myself!! :p

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Love it guys...

I have spent all day writing my “thank-yous”, but none bigger than the one I give to TTP every year.

This is my fundraising, by the numbers…
  • Facebook & e-mail driven: 40%
  • TTP: 29%
  • Shay's Bottle Drive: 14%
  • Mall Fundraiser: 17%
If I back out “the outliers” like Shay’s Bottle Drive, and the Mall Fundraiser, the number becomes 42% TTP, everyone else 68%. That includes some corporate sponsors / partners where the donation is as much guilt inspired than anything.

Basically, TTP remains my biggest “go to” so far as sponsorship. Many thanks again, gents.

I will point out that my nephew, Shay Symmes, and his bottle drive out fund-raised every sponsor at $660.00. Pretty cool for a kid.

Also, seeing as how I always get to you guys last, I’m sick of being creative, so I will direct you to a blog I posted to R2S in order to give thanks to some key people there.

But before reading that, I just want you guys to know how much I appreciate the contribution I get every year from the TTP community. I started this thing when I was 34, which seems like a lifetime ago. You can go back and read about some of my years doing this. Bronco, being humbling, and being humbled, is all relative. This just happens to be something I do, and it works for me because riding is something I’m fairly good at. I’m a far better rider than I ever was a footballer, as you so rightly pointed out by my career being mostly Valley based :D . That said, I’m very lucky to have latched onto something that “makes me look good”. It also helps that I’m good on the keyboard, and can write a good story. I am, however, very much humbled by a lot of people I have the pleasure of getting to know as part of this organization.

As for my son, this has all come about as a result of natural progression. Michael was bound to be involved. He’s a bike racer…that’s his main sport (more so than hockey, certainly). It happens to be something he’s good at, and the fundraising vehicle (cycling) happens to be something that is currently in vogue. He’s just like me in the sense that he’s using something he’s good at to generate awareness and funds for a cause. It’s kinda an Easy Button to trying to do good things, when you think about it. I’m lucky to be involved with a great group of people that also want to be involved with other people who want to do great things. It becomes like a fever. My kid has that fever now. I count myself very lucky that he has caught it, because the life lessons he’s learning as being part of this are absolutely invaluable. I know why he does it, too…and although there is a more philosophical argument to be had (Cancer is nature’s way of culling the population, and that by killing the old, it is only nature taking its course…as it did with his grandfather), there is a very real human story behind it’s cruelty. No child should have to fight this disease. No parent of a young child should have to fight it. Keeper’s story deserves a better ending. I now meet people every year who have had kids die of cancer, and children who’ve lost their parents at too young an age. He also meets these people, gets to know them, and rides with them. I would- and I know you all would too- give my life in exchange for my kids, and I live in fear that this disease will strike one of them, and I will be powerless to make that exchange.

Attached are the dedications this year. I sure hope I didn’t forget any…

Follow this link to the blog (there are other great blogs, get your tissues), or read below if you are lazy. http://www.ride2survive.ca/other-info/blog/636-the-community

"I usually don’t post, since most posts have already said what needs to be said. But I wanted to post today, while the thoughts are still fresh in my head, before the adrenaline of this past weekend wears off.

First off, Vikki Kunzli, you really should consider teaching an “events planning course”, or “planning for charitable events” course, or something to that nature, at a college. The R2S has become such a well-oiled machine, it is mind boggling. And of course, the praise is not all Vikki’s to take; you have assembled and directed a very strong and devoted team. I get the odd glimpse of what goes on behind the scene, and I akin it to taking a peek inside a bouncy castle at a 5 year-olds birthday party. It is full on chaos, yet somehow organized. You move yourself away from the door as slowly and quietly as you can before anyone notices, and invites you in. But seriously, what I have learned and seen first-hand about what goes on behind the curtain, simply amazes me. We have all attended and participated in other events…from racing, to other charitable events, or whatever, and I can honestly say, for this size of an event, it is simply the best I’ve ever experience. Organizations like the Ironman- another well-oiled machine- would do well to sit in on a few days with Vikki. You and your team have my utmost respect and admiration for what you do.

To the “game day” volunteers…thank you, thank you, thank you. What you all do on the ride day to make it as easy as possible to simply focus on riding, nutrition, and if need be, rest, is simply amazing. I am so grateful for having you there, and have often thought, how the heck did those guys do it in the early years, with little-to-no support? I can’t imagine it without you all. My son said on the second to last stop (Deroche), “Looks like the water fairies have filled us up again”. A small detail, but so critical…the water fairies allow us to get in out nutrition, gear change, and restroom breaks without having to worry about filling our bottles. Small but massive detail.

This was my 7thyear riding R2S, and for me, the toughest physically and mentally, only surpassed by my first year. One of those days where I never felt great, and self-doubt permeated throughout. That said, there were inspiring people all around me, people with tougher personal challenges than I have ever faced, and that reality is something that pushes me. You all know who you are. I am amazed and inspired by you and your efforts. Thank you for being a part of R2S.

The friends I’ve made in R2S will be friends for life. I have another life as a (former) competitive amateur soccer player, and the only thing I can compare this bond to are teammates I’ve won championships with playing the beautiful game. But with R2S, you get to win a championship EVERY season. How cool is that? I was reminded of that on Friday night, and getting to hang with Geoff Solomann, who I got to hang a lot with in 2013. Being an Edmonton resident now, he rarely makes it out, so I’m thankful for R2S in being able to forge that bond. The list of great friendships forged goes on and on, even to others who have now moved on from R2S, remain great friends.

Finally, I want to write what the nerves and bulge in my throat would not allow me to say on Friday night. R2S changed for me last year, when my son asked if he could ride. He’d done two previous years as a volunteer, on cheer, and self-appointed banana king. Previous to that he’s cheered on the roadside w/ his cousins. If there are water ferries, there can be banana ninjas. If you rode out in 2012 or 2013 with an unexpected banana in your pocket, it was Michael the banana ninja, invisible, but sending you on your way with potassium in your pocket. Whether you like bananas (Rich), or have a love-hate relationship w/ them like I do, you got one. Me and bananas are now on a friends time-out for at least 10 months.

I wish I had the gift that others like Graham, Emilio, Dave, Sukki, Sobihan, and others have with that mic, to speak and express their feelings so eloquently. I wish that I could properly express in that meeting what it means to me that Kerry and Vikki accepted Michael’s request to participate as a rider. He has literally grown up with R2S in his life. To give him their blessing was showing a great deal of trust in him as a person, to ensure he committed to the correct training, and to me as his parent, to (hopefully) keep him in line. Truth be told, when it comes to the training, it is out of my hands. I am busy attending to other duties as a ride captain, and he’s been very much on his own. What has happened is that other riders have taken him under their wings. The first training ride Michael ever did, he got to hang out with Rich, up front. He spoke of that experience like he got to hang out with a super hero for the day…and in many ways, he was right. Rich kind of is like a real life super hero (but not Batman, Rich, there can only be one). He’s gotten to ride w/ Kerry in the caboose, and seen how he so coolly plays the general, and never, ever shows weakness. Vikki mother hens over Michael like that doting aunt we all had growing up. June, Shannon, the Als (both)...I have missed so many, and could go on. Paul Jenzen told me last year that probably the best thing about R2S for Michael is the R2S Cool-Aid we all drink…and he’s right. Anytime you can surround yourself with about 200 other selfless, caring individuals, like R2S is, you’ve done yourself a world of good favours. But for me, it goes deeper. It takes a community to raise a child. The R2S has been helping me raise my child since 2009. I’m internally grateful for the positive impact that the R2S, and every person in R2S that has had a personal connection with my son. You have all contributed to helping Shaeesta and I raise our son, and we are very, very thankful for that.

Oh, and the other thing I didn't have the will or guts to say out loud...Steve Parsons...I don't ever want to live the hell you've lived. That sentiment goes out to anyone who has lost a child. It's not right.

Lastly, Emilio is truly my son’s second set of parental eyes out there. He’s become an uncle, if not by blood, certainly by all other rights. Emilio, you know how hard it is to earn the respect of a strong willed 15 year old (we were both there, once), and you should know that Michael holds you in the highest levels of respect. Thank you for all that you have done.

I’ve attached a couple of photos from 2011; Michael was on the sideline in my sister Larissa’s van doing “cheer” when he was 11. In a couple of those photos is Shay Symmes, my nephew, who this year raised a whopping $660.00 by collecting recyclables…another long, great story. This cheer team was not officially part of R2S, but as you can see, both kids were and are now very much invested. This was the first time Michael met my good friend Emilio….

Thanks to everyone for being a part."

Attachments

• IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    737 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    883.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

Fcuking outstanding as per usual mate. Congratulations to both you and young Michael :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

This came out I guess yesterday. I barely remember this interview. The lady Kim, who is interviewed, is someone I have spent a lot of time w/ in training, and beside during the Pennask Summit-Merit portion. I will say this...there are some people over the years I've pushed that take the help for granted, maybe easing up on their pedalling while you are now pushing. Not Kim.

It's not typical that you need to push, and most riders don't need it (most R2S riders are quite seasoned, actually), but there are exceptions to the rule, people that have a very special and unique story, and the organizers accept their registration. Kim is one of those. She had an illness a few years back that saw her lost in a coma for many months (over 12 if I recall correctly). She has a deep family connection to Cancer as well. I remember her first day of training, and she was so determined, working her ass off. NOT a cyclist...in fact, bought her bike specifically for R2S. She lives on the Sunshine Coast near Gibsons Bay, so she'd come over on the boat for training, and get her own in by herself.

Then she had an accident, and was suffering from concussion symptoms up till about 3 weeks before the day, when the physicians finally gave her clearance. Even with that, we kind of had her on a tight watch. I had the sincere pleasure of being assigned to her for about 60 KM on Saturday.

A perpetually optimistic lady with an infectious smile and attitude. She's the kind of person you will push all day. We have this rule, the "3 push" rule, where, if a rider is pushed 3 times, they are told to take a break in the SAG. I have been the hard-ass before, and put people into SAG. Kim is one of those riders that we (I) took some liberties with that rule. I recall being told on the radio, "Mike, the person you are pushing needs to take a break", whereupon Vikki, who was in the lead vehicle at the time, looking back at us, got on and said, "Mike is getting her to Merrit, he's clear". "10-4". The reality is, I didn't verbalize it to Vikki, I only shook my head to her, because I could not reach my button, since I had one hand on the bars, and the other on Kim's back. She deserved to ride that portion...as I had a feeling, with the Coldwater Road section, which is very tough, Larson Hill to the top of the Coquihalla, and the vicious headwinds I knew were waiting for us from the top of Larson on in to Agaziz (SP?) (and the winds were honestly the worse I've felt since my first year riding this thing), that Kim would not get a chance to ride that much. But she did get to ride the last 45 from Maple Ridge to home, and that is an unforgettable leg. In the dark, with people on the roadside cheering you on, and the unreal welcome in. That, and she rode in a hero to her two young kids and husband. An amazing woman.

There are too many reasons why I keep coming back. I'm not the best fundraiser, and in fact, hate fundraising. I am in the bottom half, for sure. There are far better fundraisers, including Kim. But, there are certain personalities, like Kim, like Steve Parsons, that have personal stories of tragedy that are in this ride for their own reasons, with such great attitudes, that you can't help but be moved, and supportive of their efforts. With someone like her, and my friend Dennis a few years ago, you know that helping could eventually cost you. You will pay for it later. This year it very nearly cost me, and several times I wanted to get in that SAG...then something would happen in a leg, and I'd be called upon, and I guess that adrenaline of helping gets you through to the next stop. Fuel up, get back on the bike, onto the next stop. Before you know it, you are riding up Scott Road, into the waiting arms of your family. Kim is one of the many people that made my ride this year worthwhile, and had helping cost me (the truth is, it's easier to put someone else in the SAG than to put yourself in, I'm a stubborn bastard), it would have been worth it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is the last post I'll put in for this year's thread (right).

I've written about the philosophical argument, then the human element.

Megan McNeil was a North Delta resident. Diagnosed with C at 16, and dead at 20. Every time I hear about someone dying these days, it's the C word. I don't know exactly where I stand, to be truthful, on the whole debate. I am as skeptical as many about where our "research" funds go. Then I get a chance to speak w/ Oncologists such as Dr. Kevin Murphy, and he can go into great detail as to how research dollars have helped him save lives.

For me, I draw the line at kids and young adults. It's not right. I want my kids to live a full life, an active life, a fulfilling life. This disease scares the crap outta me, that it will strike my family. I hear too many stories of youth lost to Cancer. Fcuk the philosophical argument, and fcuk Cancer.

These are two version of "The Will to Survive" that Megan wrote and recorded. Don't be stupid and listen to this song while cutting onions, like I did.

"While in treatment in 2007, Megan mustered up the strength to honor us by singing her song at the arrival of the Ride2Survive in Delta. We all lost Megan on Jan 28th 2011 at just 20 years old. One of Megan's yet to complete Bucket List items was the Ride2Survive."

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I did say the previous post would be my last till 2016, but this is some cool news with regards to our little grassroots fundraiser.

I'll just go ahead and quote R2S Grand Poobah Kerry Kunzli on this...

"Well this email is very very long overdue. I wanted to send a re-cap of our ride this year much sooner but to be honest, Vicki and I go thru a bit of a "de-compression" after the ride and get back to some long neglected things along with some vacation time.
Recapping the ride...we had 120 riders and 60 crew including 3 Delta PD who travelled with us from Kelowna to Delta. We had 8 motorcycle escorts join us along the way and 5 Paramedics with us thru the day.
We went through 60 jugs of water. We had cold foot bath stations (a bath is supposed to be hot... I just don't get it). We had coffee (and even a few cold coffee's to share). As always we had the most delicious food anyone could eat on an event with a crew that thought of everything, from prepping it before we left, to the team that supported us on the road, and our Delta team when we arrived and then the clean up crew the next day. We had perfect riding weather. We had an amazing strong team, thank you to everyone for this, but mostly to the families and friends that supported you to be on your bike or crewing! And the wrap up banquet... Wow!
For Vicki and I, we have a very hard time describing this event. We get a lump in our throats when we talk about it. The 11 years of history, from funny stories that happen, to heartfelt losses of those we love. We are in it for the long-haul, to make a change. To inspire people to ride their bikes, or crew for this crazy event. To raise donation money for Cancer Research that exceeds our dreams each year.
Now there is some advantage in waiting to send this out and that is because we know now how much we raised and where our money is going to go.
(drum roll)... We have raised over $630,000 this year!!! Our biggest ever! AND...
(more, louder drum roll)... We had it matched by Brain Canada which means YOU are responsible for getting $1.2 Million dollars into researchers hands specifically for brain cancer research. HOLY CRAP..... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR RAISING OVER $1 MEEEEELION DOLLARS!!!!!
AND.... (last bit of drum roll)... we have an opportunity to send this money to one specific project for Brain Cancer that might be at UBC... It would be very cool to have this local connection to where our money has gone. And, there will be some sort of "branding" of the project with Ride2Survive which is also cool.
......(blah, blah, blah)
Thanks, Kerry"

Raising $630K was already our biggest year. At 120 riders, that makes an average of $5,250.00 / rider. Pretty. Freaking. Awesome.

Which, if you look at my average, it means there are some pretty heavy hitters raising way more than their share to bring the average up.

The matching from Brain Canada ( http://braincanada.ca/ ) is super cool, too, meaning our little team is responsible for $1.2M going to Brain Cancer Research in Canada. I heard a scary stat, and man, wish I could find it now- I think it was one Steve Parsons' stats, he of my May 25th post- that that showed brain cancer is actually 100% fatal in youth.

A lot of people say they are "on a mission" to raise funds and awareness, but this guy actually is. I'm pretty confident in saying that it was Steve's positive influence on the R2S Board to decide that, for this year, we could have the biggest bang for our buck by allocating this to brain cancer- a vastly underfunded area of cancer research. I think he now has something like 16 people on his RTCC team for next year (he rides both the R2S and RTCC)

A cynical person would say, "Well, that fund matching isn't new money", and no, it's not. It is money allocated from other fundraising efforts for brain research, though not specifically brain cancer.

Anyhow, a "banner" year at R2S. Looking forward to 2016.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0