Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dude's Sandwich Review

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that photo reminds you of how you prefer other sloppy meat ensembles in your life.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't post here often, mainly because there are so few sandwiches anywhere worthy of my effort. Today I found a unicorn: a sandwich shop in Whistler that does it right at a non-Whistler price. The Corner Deli. No website, so here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/thecornerdeliwhistler/ .

When you order, you get your sandi whapped in brown wrapping paper, and a small bag of chips. No nonsense. Small shop. One guy behind a counter, couple of guys in the back making sandis. meant to be carried away, but if there is a seat free, stay and eat. The shop has no bells and whistles. Located on Main street, next to the drycleaner, sort of kitty-corner to La Cantina.

Price is about $12.00 for one of these Montreal Smoked meat sandis. Only thing slightly imperfect about this is that it's not a truly "fatty" smoked meat. it's a blend of lean and fat. But damn it's good. Options include: hot mustard instead of regular, and pickle or no pickle. They get themselves a solid 4.85/5 toothpicks. Can't wait till they expand their meat selection or pastrami, and can make a Morley's Megamerger, a classic from the days of Kaplan's.

Also, fcuk off, @akslop , you fcuking grammar Nazzi.
View attachment 22239

38502512_10156285216330169_7386536656045604864_n.jpg

Om nom nom.jpg

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That’s disgusting, but looks like it’s make a fantastic corned beef sandi.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, this thead is old, started in 2007. That's a lot of great sandwiches, and a lot of sub par sandwich reviews.

In about 2010/2011, I first visited Kaplan's Deli, and treated myself to the Morley Mega Merger, some reviews here: https://www.takethepiss.com/threads/dudes-sandwich-review.13217/page-8

Well, recently found myself down in the area for work, and had mini Dude in tow. Not so mini anymore, 21 this year. Decided to treat him to what I believe(d) is(was) the best sandwich and sandwich shop in Vancouver. I mean, pandemic, and given the, erm...cultural leanings of the neighbourhood, if any restaurant would be open, a Jewish Deli would be.

I was right.

And wrong.

Kaplan's sold, and in it's place is now the Omnitsky Kosher Deli. They basically have the same fair. Hungry, we get in there for some take-out. We recreated the Morley's Megamerger for the girl behind the counter, who DID NOT KNOW WHAT A MMM WAS! Seriously, WTF. History, people. Anyway, helped her through it, hot mustard, extra pickle, sauerkraut.

I have to say, it was good, even very good, but not the same. Could have been that we had to go find a park bench to eat on, and didn't have the right atmosphere and nice hot sandi showing up, but also, not quite fatty enough. Still, very good.

SANDI: 4.24/5 toothpicks.

The pickle, well fcuk me. Different animal.

This was one world class pickle. Even mini Dude, who has never had a vegetable- ever- exclaimed, "WTF am I eating, it's magic!"

It was true. If you ever think you can't convert your son to a pickle, well I did. Just get him a jewish pickle, but not just any jewish pickle, get him the jewish pickles from Omnitsky.

Overall, I'd recommend getting there. Go for the pickle, stay for the sandi. It's pretty damn good too. #jewishpickleomnomnom

Went back and bought a jar.

PICKLE: 6/5 toothpicks

(No pickle photo available, due to omnomnom).

Attachments

• Sandy 1.jpg
    Sandy 1.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Sandy 2.jpg
    Sandy 2.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 31

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
That sold probably 5-8 years ago. I used to stop there on the way home from Hillcrest. Just killer sandwiches. They used to scoff at me asking for mayo on the sandwich. One of the old women wouldn't put it on, even though I was asking her to. She was disgusted with me.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That sold probably 5-8 years ago. I used to stop there on the way home from Hillcrest. Just killer sandwiches. They used to scoff at me asking for mayo on the sandwich. One of the old women wouldn't put it on, even though I was asking her to. She was disgusted with me.
She was disgusted with you because you are an idiot.

Mayo? FFS....

Our cyber affair is in trouble.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, this thead is old, started in 2007. That's a lot of great sandwiches, and a lot of sub par sandwich reviews.

In about 2010/2011, I first visited Kaplan's Deli, and treated myself to the Morley Mega Merger, some reviews here: https://www.takethepiss.com/threads/dudes-sandwich-review.13217/page-8

Well, recently found myself down in the area for work, and had mini Dude in tow. Not so mini anymore, 21 this year. Decided to treat him to what I believe(d) is(was) the best sandwich and sandwich shop in Vancouver. I mean, pandemic, and given the, erm...cultural leanings of the neighbourhood, if any restaurant would be open, a Jewish Deli would be.

I was right.

And wrong.

Kaplan's sold, and in it's place is now the Omnitsky Kosher Deli. They basically have the same fair. Hungry, we get in there for some take-out. We recreated the Morley's Megamerger for the girl behind the counter, who DID NOT KNOW WHAT A MMM WAS! Seriously, WTF. History, people. Anyway, helped her through it, hot mustard, extra pickle, sauerkraut.

I have to say, it was good, even very good, but not the same. Could have been that we had to go find a park bench to eat on, and didn't have the right atmosphere and nice hot sandi showing up, but also, not quite fatty enough. Still, very good.

SANDI: 4.24/5 toothpicks.

The pickle, well fcuk me. Different animal.

This was one world class pickle. Even mini Dude, who has never had a vegetable- ever- exclaimed, "WTF am I eating, it's magic!"

It was true. If you ever think you can't convert your son to a pickle, well I did. Just get him a jewish pickle, but not just any jewish pickle, get him the jewish pickles from Omnitsky.

Overall, I'd recommend getting there. Go for the pickle, stay for the sandi. It's pretty damn good too. #jewishpickleomnomnom

Went back and bought a jar.

PICKLE: 6/5 toothpicks

(No pickle photo available, due to omnomnom).
Is there something wrong with your wrist? Either an odd way to hold a sandwich or that was one huge pickle...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was the boys wrist, but ironically I’d just had shoulder surgery the week earlier, which was why the boy was my driver for the week.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Estrella’s.....not for me. I don’t know, it’s just a big wad of meat. I didn’t love it is all I’m saying. Never been a big smoked meat guy. Maybe I went with to big of expectations after the Dude sandwich Review. Try Crescent Beach, it’s a place I like to call my moms house. She makes a hell is a Sando.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Estrella’s.....not for me. I don’t know, it’s just a big wad of meat. I didn’t love it is all I’m saying. Never been a big smoked meat guy. Maybe I went with to big of expectations after the Dude sandwich Review. Try Crescent Beach, it’s a place I like to call my moms house. She makes a hell is a Sando.

So you're Mom likes a big wad of meat named Sando?
Is he the cabana boy?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel it’s my job to moderate this. Given the title.

-It’s all about the meat, then meat-to-bread ratio. Low meat-to-bread ratio isn’t even a sandwich, and FFS you don’t see us reviewing PB&J do you? Also, if I ever see a “Beyond Meat” review in here, Regs will have you banned for life. Or not. We haven’t discussed it. Just don’t.

-You first brought your mom and mounds of meat into the discussion, so I’m afraid it’s fair play. So far. At worse Utah has dipped a toe into the grey area but I’m going to allow this.

-Utah didn’t bring down Langley, the absence of @lfc4 did. Not sure why or how. He’s a self admitted bad coach, grumpy all the time, unfunny about the same amount of time. He has indeed become the smell in Seinfeld’s car, won’t go away...but the boys can’t seem to live without the smell.

My conclusion on the matter is that Bully, you just aren’t up to the expected sandwich appreciating quality expected here. This is not a ban, rather, advice....next time come back with something more inviting than your mom’s baloney.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ALPINE CAFE, WHISTLER

This is not a photo of a Sandwich, but rather, a photo of the Brisket that went into the Sandwich.

I devoured the Brisket Sandwich before even thinking of the photo.

The Alpine Café is my neighbourhood local. I walk over every morning, no matter what the weather, for my morning coffee. The girls all know it, make it exactly right. Many mornings I'll stay for breakfast. Many lunches the missus and I will walk down. Many evenings, they'll have a local singer and some live music, and we'll bring our own bottle of wine, they'll cork it for $15.00, and we'll sit with a lot of our neighbours listening to sub-par live music but loving the atmosphere. We spent Christmas Eve here with our 5 year old, who has been coming since me moved here three seasons ago, and thinks she runs the place.

I have been so happy since they re-opened after COVID-19 restrictions lifted, it just hasn't been the same on my morning walks not being able to get a coffee.

Also, confession time: the birds working behind the counter are all hot, on top of friendly.

This morning, they were advertising the Brisket Sandwich on a limited menue, and it was nice, so decided to have it for breakfast, and find a spot in the sun on the pato.

The brisket (shown here) is perfectly done; fatty; moist; unbelievably tender and juicy. Much like....ok, not going there.

It is served on a freshy baked, in house French Roll. Warmed up, butter, mayo (acceptable in this case, @freddy ), sautéed mushrooms and onions, and of course, perfectly cooked brisket. Closed face, cut in half, served with breakfast potatoes.

Perfect amount of brisket, not too much, but definitely not dominated by the bread. Yeah, it was a bit sloppy, kinda like....ok, not going there. Yes, a bit messy.

Price as a very reasonable $13.00.

4.75 toothpicks / 5.

Coffee: 5/5

Service: 6/5

If you are up this summer, make it a point to ride, run, or even just drive out to the Alpine for breakfast. It is, 100%, the local's favorite for breakfasts. Just about 1 KM North of the Nicholas North entrance off the highway. If you are in town, shoot me a note, I'll meet you there. Well, maybe. Depends on if I have something better to do, or if I even like you, or think you are a numpty.

Attachments

• Alpine 1.jpg
    Alpine 1.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 16
  • alpine 2.jpg
    alpine 2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Alpine 3.jpg
    Alpine 3.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Alpine+Cafe_Whistler+Dining.jpg
    Alpine+Cafe_Whistler+Dining.jpg