Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dude's Sandwich Review

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a race to the bottom once you let Abbotsford into the room.

That's gross.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hunter Gather, Whistler.

It’s located on Main Street, where the old 7-11 used to be. Back in the day many of us I’m sure ended up at 7-11 either getting smokes, or being dragged in by some bird getting smokes- and other late night escapade accessories- on your way to a well earned walk of shame, possibly down a limb after having to chew off one’s arm to escape the grasp and smell of cigarettes.

https://www.huntergatherwhistler.com/

Nice place. Lots of great beer on tap, and even more weird beer that hipsters love to order then claim is fantastic (as opposed to calling a spade a spade and saying it’s shitty craft beer). A lot of appetizing looking food on the menu. The kinda place where every dude in the back has a hipster beard, and most of the dudes in the joint, too. It is a serious hipster hang out. Very on-brand for what they are trying to be. They have done a great job fooling even the locals that they are a hotspot.

Their early lunch options are limited, so I got the Chicken Shawarma with coleslaw. Presentation was excellent, even for a take-out (COVID Protocols, restaurant was full even though it was actually ½ full).

Just like some decisions back in the day that required a trip to 7-11, the aftermath was disappointing. The coleslaw was easily the best part….light on mayo, and simply really fresh, and you could taste the pickling. Also, the pickle was pretty good. Not a jewish pickle, but a good pickle. I like a good pickle.

The Shawarma….tasted OK. Light on the chicken, heavy on the greens, which is bullshit. It’s a cheap trick to peel back the protein and fill it up with greens, and a nice pita. Truth is, it left me unsatisfied and I came home to make a PB&J. Better than the Shawarma. It’s not that the ingredients were poor, they weren’t. Very fresh. What I got to taste was pretty damn good, just not nearly enough. I hate to say, this has been consistent with my experiences here. Three visits, all three leaving me wanting more, not in a good way. That’s three visits in 2 years, and frankly, too many good places in town to bother trying again.

Oh, and it cost me $18.00 after tip. Not good value.

Also, the staff has a very entitled attitude. Not a good combo in a tourist town to treat tourists like they are beneath you. Yes, I suspect they thought I was a tourist, as I didn’t walk in sporting a weird beard. Either way, had me regretting the trip even before eating the food.

Score: 2/5 toothpicks based on overall experience. If it were just the food, 3/5, which isn’t exactly shooting the lights out.

Mini Dude is working at Nick North these days, says they have a killer beef dip at Table 19. That’s my stop for tomorrow.

Attachments

• HG1.jpg
    HG1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • HG2.jpg
    HG2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
$18 with tip but yes, you expect way more or way better. I can go to any number of Donair places in Surrey / Vancouver / North Van in little Persia, and for about $10 those guys smash it outta the park.

The only reason I reviewed it is because I sincerely hope they google their name, find this site, and realize what a bunch of bearded conn artists they are.

Again, decent spot for beer. They should stick to the beer.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Table 19.jpgYou’re ironic.

Just got back from Nick North, Table 19. https://www.tablenineteen.com/

Had myself an early lunch. Nice table inside looking across a cold Green Lake today. Late June and the needle is at 11 deg C. What the actual fcuk.

I went for the beef dip, but beef dip was Wednesday / Thursday but not today.

Decided on the, erm, Chicken Club. Or, chicken sandwich, to be exact.

CHICKEN SANDWICH- crispy buttermilk OR citrus grilled, bacon, rocket, beefsteak tomato, green herb mayo

Went grilled. Seafood chowder on the side.

Total cost $19.00 before taxes. No wine, getting my Zinf on tonight though, holla!

Firstly, I’ll need to go back when beef dip is on the menu…and I will be going back. 100%. The atmosphere is right, the staff very courteous, and on a nice day cool to watch the planes coming in and out landing right in front.

My food was served fast, and before even getting to the sandwich, they had me at the soup. Wow! I am one of those guys that could easily go a week on soup only. Love me some good soups, and this was a great soup, as good as any I’ve had. So fresh. The chowder had some salmon, halibut, potatoes and clams (Dude likes clam), in a crazy light but super flavorful broth.

Now, I’m not one for chicken; I eat a lot of it only because it’s the healthiest of the land walking proteins…but bored of it. I’m also not a fan of a burger style bun. Usually makes for too much bread, and really, it’s a SANDWICH, not a burger on the menu. How about a nice toasted sourdough? That’s about my only beef. The taste was as good as it looks. The bacon adds the perfect amount of snap. The Arugula was crazy fresh, as were the tomatoes, and chicken cooked to juicy perfection. Not heavy on the spread, a nice light coat. Salt and pepper on the tomatoes and that’s it. I was quick surprised at how much I liked the sandwich.

And, back to gems, Table 19 is a gem. I suspect most guys on this site have at least golfed on Nick North so have likely been, but surprisingly in town it’s not overwhelmingly popular. Not right in the village, but a good excuse to get on the bike and head out for a short, flat ride along the Valley trail. We often hit it up in the evening. Bikes, couple of drinks, and ride home. Good for the kids, and frankly the best patio in Whistler, second to none.

Again, costs a bit up there, but give me the choice between here and Hunter Gather and it’s an easy choice. Some good beers on tap here, too. Also, if you are golfing here, Mini Dude may handle your bag. Please tip; bag handling is a tougher gig than it looks, especially when the bag is as disproportionately weighted as RFs, old, not well kept, and kinda smelly. It’s also hazardous work, I’ve asked him to mask up, and sanitize those hands certainly after bag handling.

The scores:

Sandi: 4.25/5 Toothpicks.
Soup: 5/5 Slurps.

Go for the Soup, stay for the ambiance. Prices very reasonable all considering. And no, I don't know how to rotate the photo. Fcuk off, I'm busy.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lunch Doctor in Pitt. I could only do half. Maybe its because I have a stress test this afternoon and I have enough anchoring me down. That's ok. This can be snacked on after. The picture speaks for itself. No need to fabricate my review with Giberish like the wine mom in here.

20200709_123837.jpg

4.5/5 Tp's . Woulda gave 5 butvthey went cheap on the size of the pickle.

Last edited:

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
That looks fantastic. Got a link of the place?

Send me a message when you do. It's a minute from my office. I'll buy!

YoAdrian

Sep 26, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rumours swirling out of whistler This evening of the revival of this thread and it’s heading into a new direction.

@Dudes Tea review

can’t wait for the first episode, will it be orange pekoe? Earl grey? Ginger and turmeric or perhaps the coveted chamomile

stay tuned to find out!
E1412604-BEBD-408C-B029-16EAAF67428B.jpeg

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some creative editing there, young Padwan.

As I mentioned in Dudebook, I’m pretty proud of that photo.

Taken a year and two weeks from last Saturday.

The background is pretty sweet. This was a week after breaking my shoulder riding. Shattered the head of the humorous (not even funny), after the good docs at Whistler emergency pulled it out of my chest cavity.

This photo was maybe a week after that.

I have a Cryo pack on my right arm, and trying to work, whacked on T3s and likely percs at that point. Miniest Dudette brought out her dress up kit and tea set, and dressed me up for a tea party. What’s a dad to do?

@Sunday League Gaffer , this can be the photo you use for your alter ego profile here. No?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh Robbie, a couple of Coors Lights and you'd be right there beside me, you know it.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just a dad being a dad, anything for the kids. Is whistler Dude living a childhood fantasy? It’s 2020, I’m not here to judge. You’re so brave.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts